Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Strangler 42 posted:

George Lucas also coasted along with the help of a lot of other smart, creative people that did a lot of the work but he took all the credit and let it go straight to his head. And then he decided he could do it all, and better, by himself and that is how we got the prequels. With fart and poop jokes, racist characters, more focus on visuals than the story.
my favorite thing about making a new hope was that Lucas's dialogue was so loving terrible a lot of the main cast refused to say their lines as written and instead ad libbed poo poo or rewrote the lines themselves. meanwhile the imperial characters didn't give a single gently caress because this was basically a quick paycheck for em in the UK and they thought no one was going to see this dumb rear end movie anyway, so they read off these bland rear end lines that lucas wrote and it works perfectly

mostly my takeaway from any docs about star wars was that it was like winning the lottery. georgie boy surrounded himself with so much talent (even coppola. speilberg and scorsese helped him with the original script/outline) that it just became this perfect sci fi epic

people should realize that star wars was good despite george lucas, and not because of him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Strangler 42 posted:

George Lucas also coasted along with the help of a lot of other smart, creative people that did a lot of the work but he took all the credit and let it go straight to his head. And then he decided he could do it all, and better, by himself and that is how we got the prequels. With fart and poop jokes, racist characters, more focus on visuals than the story.

Episode 4 was a disaster until his wife cut it into the good movie we know today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMyMxMYDNk

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Join Today! - Zilla Dropship Forces Star Citizen Promo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCVXFYgCQm4

marumaru
May 20, 2013

:yarg:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hardcoded position values, you say? For the trains in the open-world space game?

I can't imagine that not immediately biting them in exactly the way that it just did.

I like that the most engaging part of each thumbnail is the text.

Brown, helmet guy, brown, gun, brown, "WORLD RECORD EPIC KILL RAID"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jonny Nox posted:

Episode 4 was a disaster until his wife cut it into the good movie we know today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMyMxMYDNk

She really doesn't get enough credit, and he gets too much.

Totally forseeable that when given full reign, he makes the prequels.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

George is a hell of business man though. The OT fueled a multi-billion dollar media empire that he kept total control over, and when the IP was fully played out, he dumped the whole hot potato on Disney’s lap and retired as a billionaire.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I heard star citizen is better than ever

marumaru
May 20, 2013

hanales posted:

I heard star citizen is better than ever

it is

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

:reddit: posted:

Basically, trains/trams and elevators don't listen for or respond to a change in the physics grid that it occupies, since they should never actually change to a different physics grid. As I understand, it has a recorded "position" which is relative to the origin of the physics grid it's supposed to occupy.

Trains and elevators follow predefined routes? F I D E L I T Y

I wish I could see the look on reddit's face when they realize all their train-heist dreams have been snuffed out. Sadly this obvious fact will not enter their brain for another year or two.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Yeah no, George lucas spent 3 years pitching his movie around and required serious bank for a movie of it's time ($11 Million is right up there with the most expensive movies of the day when the average movie cost about $8 million)

Chris probably spent 6 months pitching himself as a god of space games and asking for an unlimited budget and timeframe to make his magnum opus with his friends without any cohesive direction of what the game was supposed to be.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

TheAgent posted:

my favorite thing about making a new hope was that Lucas's dialogue was so loving terrible a lot of the main cast refused to say their lines as written and instead ad libbed poo poo or rewrote the lines themselves. meanwhile the imperial characters didn't give a single gently caress because this was basically a quick paycheck for em in the UK and they thought no one was going to see this dumb rear end movie anyway, so they read off these bland rear end lines that lucas wrote and it works perfectly

mostly my takeaway from any docs about star wars was that it was like winning the lottery. georgie boy surrounded himself with so much talent (even coppola. speilberg and scorsese helped him with the original script/outline) that it just became this perfect sci fi epic

people should realize that star wars was good despite george lucas, and not because of him

My one wish for this project is that they manage to fart out Squadron 42 before they go bankrupt so that everybody can see how much of a hack Chris Roberts is.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

They're both old guys who can't dress themselves, got too much money for their abomination magnum opus, and both hosed up Mark Hamill's face.

Yes, I know Hamill was in a car accident, but that's too wordy

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
If the :airquote:rumours:airquote: are true, 2020 is going to get a hell of a lot worse for Chris Roberts and CIG :v:

Remember earlier this year when Bannerlord 2 was given a March 2020 release date?

Well apparently....

A new goddamn official proper Half Life game :eek: :aaaaa:

This is the funniest timeline :laffo:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Quavers posted:

If the :airquote:rumours:airquote: are true, 2020 is going to get a hell of a lot worse for Chris Roberts and CIG :v:

Remember earlier this year when Bannerlord 2 was given a March 2020 release date?

Well apparently....

A new goddamn official proper Half Life game :eek: :aaaaa:

This is the funniest timeline :laffo:

Its a VR spinoff, don't get too excited

They already did a couple VR portal games, they're like 10 minutes long

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Interesting that the first thing mentioned for how Star Citizen is doing is 'funding is better than ever!'. Veeeery interesting.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a VR spinoff, don't get too excited

yeah bro but its valve theyve literally never messed up

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Artifact

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Kikas posted:

Artifact

It is still alive and well. Also there is an update coming any minute.

-Long Haul

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Inacio posted:

yeah bro but its valve theyve literally never messed up

You should maybe read the rest of my comment that you edited out of your quote lol

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

"I REALLY want to play this game, but I'm a bit worried"

"u fukken troll"

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The best, world record, insane, etc...

He knows how to attract the morons at least. Reminds me of many Fortnite streamers.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Strangler 42 posted:

My one wish for this project is that they manage to fart out Squadron 42 before they go bankrupt so that everybody can see how much of a hack Chris Roberts is.

Not necessary. We already saw the Wing Commander film.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

You should maybe read the rest of my comment that you edited out of your quote lol

commenting on easily excited valve fans, not your post

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Strangler 42 posted:

Marcia Lucas was an exceptional film editor who deserves a lot of credit for the first film’s success.

Sandi Gardiner is a human being. I think.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

AlbieQuirky posted:

Marcia Lucas was an exceptional film editor who deserves a lot of credit for the first film’s success.

That's the difference, innit? Marcia made up for George's deficiencies, Sandi encouraged Chris's deficiencies. Marcia spun George's rampant imagination into gold, Sandi told Chris to sell more tech debt for money and put her into the game as an actor and give her a vp job that she was woefully unqualified for.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Great community, I'm so proud.

They sound like third-rate politruks.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sarsapariller posted:

I like that the most engaging part of each thumbnail is the text.

Brown, helmet guy, brown, gun, brown, "WORLD RECORD EPIC KILL RAID"

Personally, I like that the viewership falls off a cliff whenever it's not a Star Citizen video and even those videos are only half the views they were just a month ago. gently caress that guy.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AlbieQuirky posted:

*shorter than average* human being.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
What were warbonds?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

They realized they hosed up by making a secondary market in ships. So they made ships cheaper - or entirely exclusive - to new cash purchases, the 'warbonds'.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Ah yes Warbonds aka gently caress you pledge new money

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Because the people that "donated" $480 for the honor to help development will in no way be completely, batshit insanely angry if at any time in the future plebs can earn the same ship in game for anything less than a life time commitment. Instead, they will nod their head and smile knowing their contribution allowed others to have fun at a much, much smaller cost. -sniff-

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The best community.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Dementropy posted:

The best community.

This is why the Spartans used to leave certain babies out for the wolves. JFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
So they updated Talktotransformer with the full version of the AI a couple of weeks ago, so I decided to see what it had to say about the BDSSE.

quote:

Star Citizen is the best game ever because ive been given free money by a stranger and i love it. The only thing i would change about the game would be the fact that they dont have an auction house (which is really the only reason i bought it), so when i got my hangar i didnt even bother to sell my ships but theres no point in doing that. If you want me to buy a ship just give me 10 million.

-eric

Eric Musco | Community Manager

Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook

Games > Star Citizen: Given free money from a stranger and I love it.

quote:

Star Citizen is the best game ever because _____________ (fill in the blank)

I'm really disappointed to see the news today that Chris Roberts has left Cloud Imperium Games. I thought, with the incredible amount of support from the community, that we'd be able to make CitizenCon this year. I'm not a gamer, but I do love games and I'm always interested in games I might not be able to play.

quote:

Star Citizen is the best game ever because __________

There are no rules. There are no laws. There is no right. There is no wrong. There is only the courage to do the right thing. There is only the universe we choose to live in.

"We've been working on this game for 5 years now, we're not doing it because we want to. We are doing it because it is something that we are passionate about and can be proud of. The team will always be here and we will always be working together, and that is not something that can change."

You know, I love the universe that we are living in. I love the lore. I love the characters. I just hope to someday have the opportunity to create my own character with these amazing tools, to fly a ship, to explore and find my own place within this vast universe.

I want this game to be the best. I know it's going to take a lot

quote:

Derek Smart will never stop Star Citizen because _________

Star Citizen's Kickstarter is going to crash into the ground when people see it for the garbage it is

Star Citizen's biggest problem is its money system

Star Citizen is a scam from start to finish

I really hope that you understand my frustration and disappointment with this product and what it is doing to this community, and the game as a whole.

I want you to understand that I'm not talking about the Star Marine module that was promised, and that will never be released. The game has been delayed many times already, and I know it's not about the modules, it's about the game, and the community. You need to stop putting out the same old crap that you promised people back in 2014, and it's time to get your priorities straight. This game was promised, but you guys have been pushing your own ideas on to it, and the community is getting tired of it.

quote:

Derek Smart will never stop Star Citizen because he believes in Star Citizen. I'm one of the people who are actively looking forward to the end of Derek's rant. You can read the rest of the letter in the comments below. If you want to read the other side of the story, we've written an article about why the community is still talking about Star Citizen.

quote:

Goons spread FUD about Star Citizen because they want people to believe that they have the right to control the public discourse about their project. The most ridiculous thing is that they have a "forum" on their site where people can argue with other people who disagree with them. The "forum" is a scam. There are people from the press on that forum, people who donated to the game (which is a completely different issue), and there are other people who are interested in hearing their side of the story. And they just keep getting banned from it by the owner. In this article, I will take it a step further and show you what they are actually saying, as opposed to what the owners want people to believe.

The "forum" is a scam

quote:

Goons spread FUD about Star Citizen because
(a) It works
(b) They get free publicity. This has the advantage of being somewhat true. FUD is also the easiest way to destroy a community. They also use FUD as an attempt to drive the sale of their products.
They have a long history of running amok and causing all kinds of trouble. The GSF started its first FUD campaign in 2012, and has run its own FUD campaign for almost a decade. They started with something called the "Polaris sale" that was a scam in disguise. The sale was made to drive up sales of the game, but they used the money to pay down debts, which was nothing more than an attempt to avoid their creditors.
It seems that GSF has been running their FUD campaigns for years, with no regard for what other people were saying about them.

quote:

Goons spread FUD about Star Citizen because they hate the game and they can't stand the idea that people will be investing millions of dollars to build a game that is going to be delivered, in all likelihood, a lot less than that, that will have bugs and bugs that will need to be resolved, in the hundreds of thousands. That's their argument. I'm honestly a little sick and tired of them having so much fun talking about how I've got it out of hand and how I should stop complaining about the game and just be patient. Because I'm not having any patience with it at all.