Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Is Focus Energy overkill on Sirfetched?

Also, he gets garbage fighting moves off the bat. I need close combat so bad.

Also, a guaranteed crit close combat is a horrifying prospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I bought this game on day two instead of day one so I wouldn't have to go outside twice to get a code for a silly tracksuit.

Then I forgot about it for 36 hours and played Let's Go instead. Now all my friends are 50-100% done with the campaign and I just got my Dex. loving WHOOPS.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Is there still no way to convert a pokemon's ability to its hidden ability? There's so much talk about actually making your first caught pokemon the best it can be but if I still need to start with a hidden ability, well...

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Where can I catcha milcry or whatever they're called. I'm outside the 7th city and just "yeah okay I for sure have missed something here"

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Has anyone been able to use galarian darmanitan's zen mode without getting steamrolled before setting up? I keep reading about how this thing has a monstrous 160 attack stat, 135 speed and dual fire/ice typing but has the defense of a wet paper bag and you gotta lose half your drat health to get it going.

The sets I see online or on YT videos take way too much set up to pull off in any real match; things like set up a substitute THEN a belly drum before bringing the pain. I can't think of anyone who would let that happen willingly, they'd probably take your substitute out the same turn since ice has terrible defense and his piddly defense. Maybe if you do two in a row? You'd enter zen mode but lose the second sub, and you better hope your opponent has no priority moves which would kill g-tan regardless of typing.

Feels like a neat idea with no practical use

White Light fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 18, 2019

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Annath posted:

I have an Adamant Sirfetch'd, but how did you get Night Slash on him?

Female Farfetch'd with a Nickit/Thievul who has it, then evolve one of the babies to an off-gender sirfetch'd of your current sirfetch'd and leave them together in the nursery. If the one you use has an open slot then Night Slash will pass over without having to raise a new one.

And yes, Leek + Improved Critical (so Night Slash and Leaf Blade, or anything with Focus Energy) is 100% crit. :iia:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

RuBisCO posted:

Is there still no way to convert a pokemon's ability to its hidden ability? There's so much talk about actually making your first caught pokemon the best it can be but if I still need to start with a hidden ability, well...
there is not, no.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Where can I catcha milcry or whatever they're called. I'm outside the 7th city and just "yeah okay I for sure have missed something here"
Route 4, in the wheat fields. Not an overworld pokemon, it's one of the grass encouters.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

This is almost certainly a dumb question, but I assume I will finally have to cave and get the Nintendo online services thing if I want to trade with people at all/do raids with others/etc?

Going through the game kind of slowly but having good fun with it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Are there any collectors I should be saving my Mushrooms, Bones, Nuggets, etc. for? I need some cash and want to know what I should save or not.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Are there any collectors I should be saving my Mushrooms, Bones, Nuggets, etc. for? I need some cash and want to know what I should save or not.
Haven't seen any collectors, and also the rate of getting that stuff is so high if you just poke at shiny spots / do some raids / pay the Digging Duo that it's not worth sitting on them anyway

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

there's a collector in the 4th gym's city, but it's random what he goes for every day and IIRC he might only buy one thing at a time?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I haven't played Pokemon since red/blue/green - is there a good resource to read wtf all this shiny/duramax/breeding/etc ish is, how to do it, etc etc?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

black.lion posted:

I haven't played Pokemon since red/blue/green - is there a good resource to read wtf all this shiny/duramax/breeding/etc ish is, how to do it, etc etc?

Just play the game, it's for children

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

I'm honestly kind of impressed how good a lot of the new pokes look in motion (especially in camp)

A lot of designs I wasn't a fan of from still images look way better/charming in game (falinx, arrocuda, blipbug, etc)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

black.lion posted:

shinies - very very small chance for pokemon to be a different color than normal. Easier to get if you breed foreign ditto with your own pokemon. purely cosmetic, and mostly irrelevant. Most people attempting to breed for a shiny pokemon or catch one (by "chaining", ie, fighting the same pokemon over and over) will literally go through hundreds of pokemon before finding one. Don't worry about it.

breeding - in most games you find a daycare/nursery. leave two pokemon together (of the same egg group, which is listed on serebii or bulbapedia) and the female one will pop out some eggs that will hatch into a baby of the same species. If one member of the two is a ditto, gender is irrelevant and egg group is irrelevant. Legendaries cannot breed.

dynamax - the new gimmick. in gym fights/the new Raid Battle, you have the ability to make your pokemon Big, and slightly stronger.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I'm at 274 caught and the Pokedex has stopped suggesting catches for me I want my training wheels back

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

God please Nintendo do something about how horrifically bad this sticker system is online. Love to be shown raid prompts that were active over 15mins ago for some reason.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Turns out your mom is a psychic

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

black.lion posted:

serebii.net for basically any poke info

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
https://twitter.com/anti/status/1196512265438212096?s=21

:allears:

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

How is this not the best pokemon game ever made?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Ayndin posted:

This is almost certainly a dumb question, but I assume I will finally have to cave and get the Nintendo online services thing if I want to trade with people at all/do raids with others/etc?

Going through the game kind of slowly but having good fun with it.

You'll need it for online trading and raids for sure. I'm not sure if the local trading/raids option counts as online for that though.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Speaking of max raids, it sounds like they're kind of a mess online, so my friend and I decided to continue holding off on getting an online subscription for when Animal Crossing comes out.

But my question is, how do local max-raid battles work if you don't have a full set of 4 and don't have internet? Do you get two AI players or does the game just not let you do it?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Gym 8 is the funniest loving gym in the game what were you guys talking about haha

I scarfed my Inteleon a friend gave to me and had it used Soak on everything. Then my Toxel evolution thing just zapped everything straight to hell. I expected a stall fight so I'm just really tickled :)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You can see the wheels start to come off around the 5th gym. From the 4th to the 5th it’s a 30 second stroll through a forest and the 5th gym doesnt actually have a challenge so you fight some trainers while the leader watches. This somehow feels lazier than the 4th gym where the leader is introduced when you reach him and promptly fucks off.

You could try exploring the forest and maybe capturing the Pokemon in this Pokemon game.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Eiba posted:

Speaking of max raids, it sounds like they're kind of a mess online, so my friend and I decided to continue holding off on getting an online subscription for when Animal Crossing comes out.

But my question is, how do local max-raid battles work if you don't have a full set of 4 and don't have internet? Do you get two AI players or does the game just not let you do it?

It adds AI players who will without fail be useless and totally gently caress up any chance you have at completing the raid by either having completely useless Pokemon or using completely pointless attacks or both at the same time.

This also happens if you do have online because your chances of anyone else joining your raid are slim to none, so you aren't missing anything!

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
dracovish's design is bizarre and endearing

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Gay Horney posted:

dracovish's design is bizarre and endearing

I just made one and nicknamed it "I'm Sorry"

what have i done

I love the fossils in this game because they straight up declare in the pokedex that they're abominations that struggle to live and basically say "THERE'S A REASON WHY IT DIED OUT"

You have reversed Natural Selection, but just because you could-- you never wondered if you should

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I've been calling my dracovish Phallus Dragon when lamenting his existence. He is on my final team though, I have to grind more TRs for him though...

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

It adds AI players who will without fail be useless and totally gently caress up any chance you have at completing the raid by either having completely useless Pokemon or using completely pointless attacks or both at the same time.

This also happens if you do have online because your chances of anyone else joining your raid are slim to none, so you aren't missing anything!
Cool! Glad not getting online is still the right choice.

I haven't raged too hard at useless AI partners yet. Even hydro pump magikarp can take down a barrier bar, and that's generally all I need help with. I haven't done super hard ones yet though.

I'm hoping if we have at least two coordinated strong pokemon the others will serve as good-enough distractions. I like the ones with focus bands on them.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Do multihit attacks break more of the barrier bars? Seems like it'd be a useful thing to have on raid Pokemon.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Framboise posted:

Do multihit attacks break more of the barrier bars? Seems like it'd be a useful thing to have on raid Pokemon.

No. The only thing that seems to break more than one bar (a whopping two) is dynamax attacks.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Framboise posted:

Do multihit attacks break more of the barrier bars?

Nope.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

History Comes Inside! posted:

No. The only thing that seems to break more than one bar (a whopping two) is dynamax attacks.

Don’t supereffective attacks take 2 bars too?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

RatHat posted:

Don’t supereffective attacks take 2 bars too?

No

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/ultunlukystudnt/status/1196272177118470144?s=21

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Perrserkers face is the best thing in this game

https://twitter.com/happysitting/status/1196480067091648514?s=20

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Because Pokemon can only mime eating, the curry eating cutscene always looks like they're just anticipating you tasting the curry (or trying to beg for a taste) and it's hilarious every time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://twitter.com/beakfriends/status/1196484623531950081?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Raid matchmaking seemed better this afternoon from yesterday. Most of the raids I joined ended up full. Got into the groove and caught some awesome mons. Really happy with the 5* sirfetch raid that we won since I have shield. Good to know that version exclusives don’t affect raiding. Also got a Gmax butterfree and sandaconda.

Thanks to whomever mentioned using the trainer card swap to get the refresh button to pop. Works like a charm.

Oh and on 5* raids I’m sorry but I’m not readying up unless there are at least three players. If its just two of us I’m dropping at 20 seconds to go. I don’t need to waste my time dealing with crap npcs.