Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like both Black Panther 2 and Captain Marvel 2 are further on than we think, and we'll probably see them annouced sometime around the time when Doctor Strange 2 has at least a teaser.

Black Panther 2 got a release date at D23. If it were up to me I'd put the Captain Marvel 2 announcement at the end of the Ms. Marvel series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Wonder Woman upskirt is in the early trailers though so don’t worry, that’s preserved in the Snyder cut.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What is with people's laser focus on that, it's a piece of fabric. It's not lascivious or titillating or anywhere close to the focus of the shot

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What is with people's laser focus on that, it's a piece of fabric. It's not lascivious or titillating or anywhere close to the focus of the shot

Snyder fans like to use it as evidence of Whedon ruining the movie for some reason.

The guy who made Sucker Punch would never do something like that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No they don't

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

McCloud posted:

Of the top of my head:
3 hour runtime reduced to 2 hours
Extensive reshoots from Whedon
Aquaman scenes cut, Vulko cut, scene with Mera Vs Steppy cut
Flash scenes cut, Iris West cut entirely
Cyborg scenes brutally cut. Mom cut out, his dad was supposed to die, lots of scenes with mother boxes
All superman scenes reshot. His fight with the league got changed, dialogue and context and other details changed. His reunion with Lois got changed.
Rumors of a scene with Pa that got cut, nothing concrete on that though.
WW scene where she discovers more information on Darkseid cut
Darkseid cut entirely
Third act changed a lot
Martian Manhunter cut entirely
Ryan Choi cut
The flashback scene where the old gods fought the invading army of Steppenwolf got really changed. Ares, Zeus and Artemis all present
Timetravel cut
Lex Luthor scenes cut

Things added by whedon
dumb joke about being itchy
ma kent making a joke about thirsty women
Barry pratfalls on WW boobs (this was added by stunt doubles as I understand, nad pissed off both Gal and Ezra)
Lots of extra close ups of Diana Smiling
A lame subplot about that russian family
The introductory scene with Batman and the criminal

So yes. It is a very different movie. Keep in mind Zack shot all of that, the score is done and the only thing not do is some vxf
This information comes from either Zack himself or other official names who worked with the film.

Most of that wouldn't have saved the movie, and I doubt Synder's version of certain characters would have been an improvement.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The fans really want that hour's worth of sequel hooks for Darkseid that will never come to anything, huh

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's probably a lot of crossover between incels and the snydercut bros.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I assume the Wonder Woman Darkseid scene was her finding a teaser trailer like how Batman watched the Justice League teasers in BVS

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Based on what?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Laughing Zealot posted:

Based on what?

My dislike of both groups is enough for me to assume they are all horrible.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Rhyno posted:

My dislike of both groups is enough for me to assume they are all horrible.

Is this the new Joker/incel/comic book movie overreaction?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

AngryBooch posted:

Is this the new Joker/incel/comic book movie overreaction?

It is pretty well documented that a direct line from 300 fanboys to MRAs/PUAs to incels occurred

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Roth posted:

I assume the Wonder Woman Darkseid scene was her finding a teaser trailer like how Batman watched the Justice League teasers in BVS

Wonder Woman watches a QuickTime video of Darkseid that Lex put together complete with cool logo.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

It is pretty well documented that a direct line from 300 fanboys to MRAs/PUAs to incels occurred

Snyder and his 8 children are the patron saints of celibacy.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't know how much real overlap there is, but the connection generally goes from Snyder rulez -> MCU sux -> Captain Marvel sux -> omg diversity, all those womyn etc etc

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Snyder bros also use all the same harassment tactics on social media, and if you click any of their timelines they're always full of alt right bullshit they love.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’d be more surprised if there wasn’t a huge overlap, that fanbase is toxic as gently caress.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

McCloud posted:

Of the top of my head:
3 hour runtime reduced to 2 hours
Extensive reshoots from Whedon
Aquaman scenes cut, Vulko cut, scene with Mera Vs Steppy cut
Flash scenes cut, Iris West cut entirely
Cyborg scenes brutally cut. Mom cut out, his dad was supposed to die, lots of scenes with mother boxes
All superman scenes reshot. His fight with the league got changed, dialogue and context and other details changed. His reunion with Lois got changed.
Rumors of a scene with Pa that got cut, nothing concrete on that though.
WW scene where she discovers more information on Darkseid cut
Darkseid cut entirely
Third act changed a lot
Martian Manhunter cut entirely
Ryan Choi cut
The flashback scene where the old gods fought the invading army of Steppenwolf got really changed. Ares, Zeus and Artemis all present
Timetravel cut
Lex Luthor scenes cut

Things added by whedon
dumb joke about being itchy
ma kent making a joke about thirsty women
Barry pratfalls on WW boobs (this was added by stunt doubles as I understand, nad pissed off both Gal and Ezra)
Lots of extra close ups of Diana Smiling
A lame subplot about that russian family
The introductory scene with Batman and the criminal

So yes. It is a very different movie. Keep in mind Zack shot all of that, the score is done and the only thing not do is some vxf
This information comes from either Zack himself or other official names who worked with the film.

Didn't the colors in some shots get changed a ton as well? (I want to say at least in a scene with the Batmobile towards the end)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Spacebump posted:

Didn't the colors in some shots get changed a ton as well? (I want to say at least in a scene with the Batmobile towards the end)

I think a lot of nighttime scenes got reworked to not be as dark. The final encounter was mostly blue and gray in the first trailers and was redone to look like an inferno instead. The fight between the Justice League and Superman was originally supposed to take place at night as well, and was regraded entirely to make it look like daytime instead. I think that's why it looks so awkward and cheap in the final film.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Alan Moore has not lost a step:

https://twitter.com/kylepinion/status/1196434894047633408?s=21

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

He should make a comic book movie about this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't really argue about any of that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That can't be Alan Moore, there's no rape scene.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I can't really argue about any of that.

Yeah, I was ready to roll my eyes about it, but he’s pretty much hit it right on.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah okay I'm actually gonna go ahead and argue against characters like Superman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, Hulk, etc -- a bunch of characters made by a bunch of Jews and at least one slightly-confused-but-well-meaning-feminist -- as being outsourced from the Ku Klux Klan, thanks.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like you can maybe get a more insightful answer to "why are all these power fantasies for the powerless popular with adults these days" than "clearly they're all racist babies", even if quite a lot of them really are racist babies eg. Snyder Cut

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I feel like I really shouldn’t have to say this, but no, enjoying the occasional comic book movie isn’t a moral failing. We’re all out here trying our best to get by, taking care of our business as best we all can, and that’s what makes us adults, not whatever harmless escapist fantasy we indulge in from time to time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I find that moore post interesting in that "the correct critique was right there and he missed it" kinda way in that he identifies some symptoms of being a millennial and attacks the audience members on those points while failing to acknowledge (or ignoring) the systemic societal issues that have caused millennials to behave in such a way. Like, instead of making a comment on how capitalism has shaped our generation in a way that is conducive to this state of movie making hes just complaining that we're all kids that refuse to grow up

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Right sure whatever but have you considered that, unless you're indulging in some truly mature entertainment content about like, murder or rape or possibly murder and rape at the same time, then you might as well literally be a Klansman and should like just grow up?

(I'm being...a little?...hyperbolic. This isn't really the worst take I've ever heard, not even in this last week. I'm just not looking forward to the deluge of usual online suspects going "WOO YEA MOORE TELLS IT LIKE IT IS! HE'S WITH US! AMEN!" and so forth)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The media really should stop asking people who loudly announce their unwillingness to watch comic book movies and read comics to give their opinion on recent comic book movies and comics.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

site posted:

I find that moore post interesting in that "the correct critique was right there and he missed it" kinda way in that he identifies some symptoms of being a millennial and attacks the audience members on those points while failing to acknowledge (or ignoring) the systemic societal issues that have caused millennials to behave in such a way. Like, instead of making a comment on how capitalism has shaped our generation in a way that is conducive to this state of movie making hes just complaining that we're all kids that refuse to grow up

I don’t think Moore sees them as seperate.

Fangz posted:

The media really should stop asking people who loudly announce their unwillingness to watch comic book movies and read comics to give their opinion on recent comic book movies and comics.

You think only people that like things should be allowed a platform to talk about them?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

You think only people that like things should be allowed a platform to talk about them?

I think only people who actually experienced a thing have interesting things to say about them. Agree with Moore, Sorcese etc all you wish, but all these takes look like someone went into Cinema Discussio and copy pasted a few forum posts. At least with Cinema Discussio you'd actually feel like they watched some of those movies and can cite examples and make detailed arguments if you press them.

EDIT: Whenever these things come up I just wonder what it'd be like if I was in a room with them and could ask them "well what about this film" or "what about this comic" or "what about that character arc" and just watch their blank faced expressions if they can't just regurgitate boilerplate stances absorbed via cultural osmosis.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 19, 2019

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Narratives about strong heroes committing righteous violence for the sake of justice or whatever has been a thing since forever. It wasn't invented with superheroes. And yes, you sure can make arguments about these escapist fantasies having toxic elements, and how they are infantile in their own way, but to say it's a modern phenomenon and that the obsession with super-heroes is materially different from the obsession with the muscle-bound action heroes from the eighties, or the a-typical lawmen of the Westerns, or even back further until you hit pulp heroes and greek mythology is a little off-base.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

site posted:

this

he's real close to something but it sounds like he blames millenials for being millenials

trust me, I would god drat love to feel like a real adult and not depend on various forms of escapism to distract myself while I donate plasma for ramen money

I can think about the various medical issues slowly killing me I can't afford to fix, or I can think about power rangers and pro wrestling and spider-man

Marvel and DC are feeding a demand that didn't spring up overnight in a vacuum, even if the way they exploit it can also be pretty hosed up and he's not inherently wrong about that part

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Like, now I’m genuinely curious what Alan Moore thinks “being an adult” even is.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Phylodox posted:

Like, now I’m genuinely curious what Alan Moore thinks “being an adult” even is.

Live in a cave, be a wizard.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Wait, Martian Manhunter was gonna be in Justice League? I thought they weren't making a movie for sad virgins.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I feel like I really shouldn’t have to say this, but no, enjoying the occasional comic book movie isn’t a moral failing. We’re all out here trying our best to get by, taking care of our business as best we all can, and that’s what makes us adults, not whatever harmless escapist fantasy we indulge in from time to time.

I mean it's a moral failing in that we're supporting capitalism and the ever-oncoming death of humanity instead of spending the millions of dollars spent to make a Marvel movie on something productive or helpful.

We just also have no ability to influence things so, hey, might as well enjoy the time we have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jamesman posted:

Wait, Martian Manhunter was gonna be in Justice League? I thought they weren't making a movie for sad virgins.
There was a black General/ArmyGuy that would be in as a bit part and then probably at the end make some vague statement about needing new heroes with superman dead and then his eyes would turn red and skin would go slightly green and the thinkpieces would launch.