Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think the obvious candidatea for sequels are your former partner and, uh, what's her name

Lt. Horseface?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Arglebargle III posted:

Lt. Horseface?

Rude

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i would literally shoot a child before i let anything bad happen to kim

I too would blast Cuno in the face before I let anything bad happen to Kim or his badass car.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Jesus christ has anybody tried ringing the random numbers on the payphone and having the joke on the random husband who picks up go wrong?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Xander77 posted:

Got the official word back about the missing thoughts (Torque Dork, Jamrock Shuffle, Hardcore Aesthetic).

Jamrock shuffle thought - should be gained after you have broken into 3 - 4 places.
Torque dork thought - is gained from day 2 a motorics orb near or on the kineema.
Hardcore aesthetics - in Noid dialogue at some point there is Conceptualization white check where success is required. Also that player has talked with Noid once, and finished the sync the sines with Noid task.

Anyone managed to get these?

nah. i saw that bubble and the phrase toque dork in conversation but it didnt give me a thought. pretty sure those are all bugged

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The best sequel would be Joyce losing her grip on time sailing through the Pale and waking up on some other place with amnesia, and not knowing where her boat is or why she's there. As she figures out that she's working her fixer mojo in this new place, she decides if she's going to pull the company line or work towards something better, and also find her loving boat to get off this wretched place. Basically Tyranny but Disco.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

What do you have to do to achieve this? I don't think I have been anything but an indecipherable yet very okay detective

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

NewMars posted:

So the skill descriptions on the site state that with enough authority failures, it might be possible to become the legendary "meltdown cop." Is this true? Can this happen?

Shooting yourself in the face to prove a point is a pretty legendary meltdown, I would think.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I have a hard time believing anyone could be monstrous enough to play the game to that result

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Shooting yourself in the face to prove a point is a pretty legendary meltdown, I would think.

Its more a will ferrell movie moment honestly. Everyone was pretty much lolling when I did it unless there's some intimidation version.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

my only death my first run besides the ceiling light was getting shot for pressing the Hardies too hard and it legit shocked me that the game was over. restarted with a Dude archetype and had a ton of fun. want to try a Deckard run too. sorry i missed the tag. Kim is my boy

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Other than the aforementioned Joyce idea, the best idea I had for the sequel was playing as Klassje on the run after this game. Instead of core aspects of your personality as the skills, you have a collections of tics and personas that you've adopted to deal with people and numb yourself. At first, you aren't really dealing with your core personality the way Harry was, but instead shuffling around what you're presenting to a new part of the world in the hopes of surviving.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
on my second playthrough the finale was interrupted between the Deserter interrogation and the phasmid encounter because I'd picked up the fifth Honor point during the conversation that had just ended, so while I'm having this magical moment staring down a giant stick insect Authority abruptly chimes in to tell me to put my thumb up my rear end in a top hat in the name of honor. Would have hated having that happen in the first run through, it totally killed the moment, but it was also gut-bustingly funny so it balances out.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
thoughts shouldnt trigger mid-convo thats weird

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Verviticus posted:

thoughts shouldnt trigger mid-convo thats weird

You playing fallout 4 again? Maybe you're listening to one more than the others. If every thought isn't a fight then you lost against an invisible boss and I totally want to know your ending. Speccing in and out of skills that are all average leads to some great decisions and devils choices.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtZDxzlGbN4

thread music

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

eleven extra elephants posted:

Jesus christ has anybody tried ringing the random numbers on the payphone and having the joke on the random husband who picks up go wrong?

Yeah... had to savescum on that one, Kim seemed extremely disappointed in me and so was I.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I broke Kim's crowbar and I felt awful about it :(

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Wafflecopper posted:

I broke Kim's crowbar and I felt awful about it :(

What in god's name are you supposed to use on that stupid frozen box?

7/10 not what i'd pick to dance to in an abandoned church but I'd make it work. :parrot:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Mister Bates posted:

on my second playthrough the finale was interrupted between the Deserter interrogation and the phasmid encounter because I'd picked up the fifth Honor point during the conversation that had just ended, so while I'm having this magical moment staring down a giant stick insect Authority abruptly chimes in to tell me to put my thumb up my rear end in a top hat in the name of honor. Would have hated having that happen in the first run through, it totally killed the moment, but it was also gut-bustingly funny so it balances out.

That just happened to me on my first playthrough. Here is the murderer you have been chasing all along. Now shove your finger up your rear end! for honor!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Neuronyx posted:

7/10 not what i'd pick to dance to in an abandoned church but I'd make it work. :parrot:

You answered your own question, there's a better crowbar/multitool in the abandoned church, the programmer lady has it, she has unfinished business in the freezer basement and will give you the multitool if you do some other stuff while you're there.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Neuronyx posted:

Wait, you can break it on the ice cream maker too? I broke it on the church door

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Wait, you can break it on the ice cream maker too? I broke it on the church door

No, if you can befriend someone wanting in then they'll give you a mcguffin.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

yeah i know how to get it, i was responding to a post that suggested you can break kim's crowbar on the box

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
This game's narrative reminds of of A Scanner Darkly a lot

Caufman
May 7, 2007

It's good this is making the rounds. All Harrys should know it is possible to screw the pooch so badly that Lt. Kitsuragi will devastate you in ways Dora never could.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
There's a party in my head, call the cops!

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Just finished this, got genuinely emotional at the end sequence with the phasmid. Loved it from start to finish, what a ride. I have two questions about alternate choices though.

Is it possible for Ruby to not die in the tunnels? What happens if she survives, do you arrest her?
Who has your gun? How do you get it back?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

What do you have to do to achieve this? I don't think I have been anything but an indecipherable yet very okay detective
I'm currently writing a list of good cop / bad cop points (though honestly, you only need -5 points for the "bad cop" achievement and 10 points for the "good cop" one, so at this point I'm mostly moved by morbid curiosity).

This particular conversation is triggered by failing the authority check to get Kim dancing in the church and refusing to apologize after you use a racial slur against him.

Talorat posted:

Is it possible for Ruby to not die in the tunnels? What happens if she survives, do you arrest her?
A high enough Rhetoric should chime in with the answer to the first - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXfb9wj0viA. A slightly more explicit answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWu-32hR4GY
Work with Evrart, or at least make a pretense of doing so.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 19, 2019

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

I have a hard time believing anyone could be monstrous enough to play the game to that result

yeah what the gently caress did you do? ive done speed in front of a child and then punched the child and stole more speed from his dad. how did you do worse?

EDIT: Question answered!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Talorat posted:

Just finished this, got genuinely emotional at the end sequence with the phasmid. Loved it from start to finish, what a ride. I have two questions about alternate choices though.

It is! You can either talk her down and arrest her, or you can fail to destroy her device. She turns it down to a lower setting so you can talk, and then after chatting for a while she escapes.
The Pigs has it. The only way to meet them is to complete Evrart's second task, one way or another. They don't show up anywhere on the map unless he arranges a meeting.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Begemot posted:

It is! You can either talk her down and arrest her, or you can fail to destroy her device. She turns it down to a lower setting so you can talk, and then after chatting for a while she escapes.
The Pigs has it. The only way to meet them is to complete Evrart's second task, one way or another. They don't show up anywhere on the map unless he arranges a meeting.

What I want to know is how the fat hamplanet organizes a meeting with her. Like... who actually talked to her and how do you get someone that far gone to actually do what you want?

Made me sad, though. This game is good about taking mentally ill assholes and revealing them to not entirely be made up of rear end in a top hat.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

wit posted:

You playing fallout 4 again? Maybe you're listening to one more than the others. If every thought isn't a fight then you lost against an invisible boss and I totally want to know your ending. Speccing in and out of skills that are all average leads to some great decisions and devils choices.

what the hell are you talking about. did you respond to the wrong person

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
Just completed it and realizing how much more there was I never got to. This game is so drat dense.

Interestingly, I was able to solve most of the case right up until the coast part without having to goto Evert or getting the body down. I was worried about sending Kim off and never finalized things with the body. I ended up doing those just to see what they said, but you could tell the dialogue was going over lines and making discoveries of things I already knew.

Ended up letting Ruby get away and bungling the tribunal so bad that 8 of the Hardie Boys died. Didn't have my gun. Presume this can be better, but can it get worse?

Also, can you end up arresting everyone (Titus? Klaasje? Ruby?) and having a better outcome at the tribunal? Can you get to the island before it all goes down?

The phasmid stuff was so cool and a nice twist on what seemed like it was going to be a conventional wrap-up. I thought there was another twist coming with Ruby mentioning you arriving in town with the death squad, where Harry was actually an undercover merc and not a cop or something, but that didn't line up.

I was high Int/Motorics focus and played a lot of things straight, so looking forward to getting more insane with new playthroughs, high Phys focus especially.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I was fine with failing to use cheat engine, but failing to edit the save files is just sad.

I enter the save game rar file, use notepad to lower all my stats to 1, save, update the file in the archive, double check to make sure my changes were saved... then I load the save file in-game, and none of the changes stick.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Xander77 posted:

This particular conversation is triggered by failing the authority check to get Kim dancing in the church and refusing to apologize after you use a racial slur against him.

I don't understand, failing that check is a clear game-over

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I don't understand, failing that check is a clear game-over
I don't want to do better, I want to do worse find something even more terrible.

I didn't even notice that the game actually has a picture of Contact Mike (confirmed by a thought circle):

Two endgame spoilers
https://i.imgur.com/mOJCnfO.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/T6jBMa3.jpg

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Those are some incredible screens

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

I don't know what it is about the writing in those two paragraphs but they get me close to tearing up... Every. Single. Time. Even like this, in a disembodied screenshot.

Perhaps a hamster fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Neuronyx posted:

What I want to know is how the fat hamplanet organizes a meeting with her. Like... who actually talked to her and how do you get someone that far gone to actually do what you want?

Made me sad, though. This game is good about taking mentally ill assholes and revealing them to not entirely be made up of rear end in a top hat.

Maybe he just knows where she’ll be because she has habits, and instead pretended like he set it up himself?