Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.

General Dog posted:

This show's alright.

Does the Mandolorian gently caress with his hat on? How does he eat?

He hangs upside down and pours soup or stew up his neck so it pools inside his helmet. Hoping to see this at some point this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Weedle posted:

The Mandalorian claims he doesn't eat pussy because he can't take off his helmet, but really it's because he's just a selfish lover.

That poo poo wouldn't have flown when Satine was in charge

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Of course Ludwig Göransson did the soundtrack. He will go down as the greatest composer of our time.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

General Dog posted:

That poo poo wouldn't have flown when Satine was in charge

Considering her dislike for being penetrated. Budum bum.

Ah too soon?

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
I assume his helmet can provide a heads up display that shows what the scope sees and other tactical data.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
This is a really great history of the Mandalorians from the beginning for those interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awoqOq-n6CQ

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
It's hard to articulate why but this is the Star Warsiest anything has felt to me in a long time. It's not just the obvious callbacks like the speeder shot, the Boba Fett weapons, or the cantina scene, it's something more fundamental.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

It's the chip-on-its-shoulderness of it all. Star Wars is fundamentally about low status people faking it until they make it. Luke is a farmboy that fronts as an ace pilot before stumbling into something way bigger than he ever imagined. Han Solo is a broke-rear end son of a bitch in a beaten up relic starship who fronts as the biggest hotshot smuggler in the galaxy. Princess Leia is a princess with no planet and a general with no army trying to take on the literal evil empire.

That's why so many Star Wars ripoffs (and the prequel trilogy, and some of the other movies) fail; they buy into the hype. They try to run a knock-off Han Solo who is as cool as Han Solo pretends to be, without realizing that the pretense is the part that makes it work.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's the chip-on-its-shoulderness of it all. Star Wars is fundamentally about low status people faking it until they make it. Luke is a farmboy that fronts as an ace pilot before stumbling into something way bigger than he ever imagined. Han Solo is a broke-rear end son of a bitch in a beaten up relic starship who fronts as the biggest hotshot smuggler in the galaxy. Princess Leia is a princess with no planet and a general with no army trying to take on the literal evil empire.

That's why so many Star Wars ripoffs (and the prequel trilogy, and some of the other movies) fail; they buy into the hype. They try to run a knock-off Han Solo who is as cool as Han Solo pretends to be, without realizing that the pretense is the part that makes it work.

Who are you referring to, Captain Tanaka?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Please shower me in Baby Yoda memes.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 18, 2019

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Too many blankets, the force can't protect you from crib death yody.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

AlternateAccount posted:

Imagine a rifle scope mount that somehow is so good you can pull the scope off and put it back on without having to re-zero.

Quick-detach scope mounts that maintain zero exist IRL and are really common nowadays. I have one on my rifle. You don’t even need tools to detach/reattach it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

I like this show so far, but I really wish they would have more confidence in it being able to stand on its own two feet instead of having basically everything be "it's that thing from the movies but with a slight twist!" and hell they don't even do the twist half the time.

Like the Jawas. Why are they on this planet? Are Jawas a spacefaring race? Do they build the sandcrawlers themselves? Like I don't know if any of this was ever explored in the EU, but I always assumed the ones on Tatooine salvaged a mining vessel or something, since they're... you know, scavengers. But evidently it's part of their culture now regardless of what planet they're on - which is honestly fine, since now I'm just imagining a huge space sandcrawler dumping smaller sandcrawlers filled with Jawas on a bunch of unsuspecting outer rim planets. Even if it doesn't make much sense.

The actual answer for all this is that of course it was just included because it's The Thing From The Movie, which is maybe actually what Star Wars fans want, but it feels like a crutch that's like fundamentally something they have to get past for it to be something special.

:same:

See also: the landspeeder in the first episode on the ice loving planet. Because of course you want to ride in the open air when it's freezing outside.

It's fine that it's basically TFA / nostalgia themepark right now, but maybe they will try to tread some new ground sometime later in the season or even in season 2.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I guess Jawas are analogous to Gypsies in the SW universe now.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Padme comforting Anikan as he shrieks that the Roma people are animals.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

That's.. Actually pretty on the nose. TLJ tried to correct this a bit with knock off Han Solo getting shut down and Finn trying to escape because he knows he's not really a hero. I'm sure Abrams will completely whiff it though.

I think the PT actually did this well, Qui Gon is a complete dickhead to everyone and utterly selfish but he's never questioned because he's the Jedi in charge, and the audience kinda missed it. People love qui gon, despite literally looking Anakin's mom in the face and saying "I'm not here to free slaves." You probably could've avoided this whole thing if he wasn't so focused on the bureaucracy of the Jedi. Obi wan also fails as a teacher, he fronts like he's wise but he's got lovely training because his master was a lovely old man.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 18, 2019

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
The score and the end credits montage make it feel like some old school western serial.

There's nice little details here and there, like how our Mando is constantly repairing his armor since he seems to frequently get his rear end kicked, and actually loading the rifle to fire it (a lot of SW costumes show bandoliers of what I assume is ammunition but nobody actually uses it.)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Do we know for sure this isn't set on Tatooine?? Moisture farms, desert planet, Jawas, sand crawlers. The shows thumbnail image shows twin suns.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Popete posted:

Do we know for sure this isn't set on Tatooine?? Moisture farms, desert planet, Jawas, sand crawlers. The shows thumbnail image shows twin suns.

I had the same thought, my understanding is Jawas are native to Tatooine and exclusively live there, and no where else. I don't recall either episode outright stateing the planet.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Spotted in my Facebook feed:

Don't have an artist source. :(

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

I had the same thought, my understanding is Jawas are native to Tatooine and exclusively live there, and no where else. I don't recall either episode outright stateing the planet.

Ok I just looked it up and apparently it's a different planet, which is weird...

The Star Wars data-bank says the Ugnaught guy Kuiil lives on Arvala-7. Perhaps that is a different name for Tatooine?

https://www.starwars.com/databank/kuiil

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Westy543 posted:

Spotted in my Facebook feed:

Don't have an artist source. :(

Oh I love it!!

Ok this is my favorite meme so far:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Koalas March posted:

Oh I love it!!

Ok this is my favorite meme so far:

I love the implication that Yoda speaks normally when he loses it.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Little poo poo, listen here you will

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

I do think that's part of it but not all of it. Maybe it's the setting and how they give it so much time to develop and breathe. Or maybe it just resonates with me because I'm a man and it's so masculine. Who knows

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

Joke Miriam posted:

Edit: And how the hell is the tiny brick of beskar going to sponsor so many kids if apparently most of it just went into his shoulderpad?

I assumed it was meant to be used to make an alloy which is what would be used to craft the helmets and armour but I'm not 100%. Maybe some more knowledgeable could correct me.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Hamelekim posted:

This is a really great history of the Mandalorians from the beginning for those interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awoqOq-n6CQ

This seems kind of non-canon. There's mention of Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma and I'm feeling like a gigantic nerd now

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

BigglesSWE posted:

I love the implication that Yoda speaks normally when he loses it.

I was picturing Frank Oz shifting from Yoda to Miss Piggy.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Donovan Trip posted:

I think the PT actually did this well, Qui Gon is a complete dickhead to everyone and utterly selfish but he's never questioned because he's the Jedi in charge, and the audience kinda missed it. People love qui gon, despite literally looking Anakin's mom in the face and saying "I'm not here to free slaves." You probably could've avoided this whole thing if he wasn't so focused on the bureaucracy of the Jedi. Obi wan also fails as a teacher, he fronts like he's wise but he's got lovely training because his master was a lovely old man.

Do people love Qui-gon, though? It’s hard to imagine such a vaguely-sketched character eliciting any kind of emotional reaction.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Weedle posted:

Do people love Qui-gon, though? It’s hard to imagine such a vaguely-sketched character eliciting any kind of emotional reaction.

You're talking in a thread about a TV series based loosely on a character that LOOKS like a character with 3 minutes of screen time that people have been obsessed with for nearly 50 years

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Weedle posted:

people seemed to have liked liam neeson at the time and that may have been enough

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Weedle posted:

Much more after the last arc of Clone Wars. The arc with him communicating with Yoda through the Force and telling him how to do the same made me like him a lot more. Also he has a cool lightsaber.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Laterite posted:

Rogue One (2016) dir. Sam Peckinpah

I saw someone say that the machine laser gun attack was an homage to the machine gun in Django but it reminded me a lot more of The Wild Bunch

Also, I cannot believe how nuts everyone is going for baby Yoda, even the most cynical everything hating people I follow on twitter are like "We Stan the Baby King". It's quite an accomplishment, if I told you a month ago that the macguffin in TM was going to be a, not the, but a baby Yoda, you'd've groaned and rightfully thought it would suck. But it works great. It reminds me of X-23 (ooh an edgy teenage clone of Wolverine with feet claws) but throughout the years she's been a well-served and popular character.

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 19, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

its a eweb u bakka jaigin

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Marginally related, but Disney+ got hacked. Change your password. https://www.zdnet.com/article/thousands-of-hacked-disney-accounts-are-already-for-sale-on-hacking-forums/

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Lone Wolf and Yub-Nub

mystes
May 31, 2006

There's no evidence that it was hacked and your link doesn't say that it was.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

I use last pass to generate random passwords. If they aren't encrypting my password in their system then they have bigger issues.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

zoux posted:

I saw someone say that the machine laser gun attack was an homage to the machine gun in Django but it reminded me a lot more of The Wild Bunch

Also, I cannot believe how nuts everyone is going for baby Yoda, even the most cynical everything hating people I follow on twitter are like "We Stan the Baby King". It's quite an accomplishment, if I told you a month ago that the macguffin in TM was going to be a, not the, but a baby Yoda, you'd've groaned and rightfully thought it would suck. But it works great. It reminds me of X-23 (ooh an edgy teenage clone of Wolverine with feet claws) but throughout the years she's been a well-served and popular character.

Speaking of X-23, her creator, Christopher Yost, is writing episode six.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

mystes posted:

This is good because Star Wars is just space Indiana Jones that subsequently got extremely confused and forgot what it was.

Now I'm imagining a Star Wars style Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider where every temple is just loving wild.

The whole first scene of the first Indiana movie would be easy to translate to scifi, right down to the escape by plane from angry native peoples at the end.

Thinking about it, it would be so easy to just move the entire Indiana Jone setting to space. We have ruined temples, like on Yavin 4, we've got space nazis, we have shady dives and gilded palaces. Everything we need.

Someone said earlier that The Mandalorian was made to scratch the Space Cowboy itch that Firefly left and that makes a kind of sense.

I want a show to scratch the itch left by Indiana Jones.