Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Macaluso posted:

Wait... what?? I thought you could only breed Pokemon with each other with the exception of Ditto, who can breed with anyone. Did they change that at some point in the series?

Nope, it's been set up like that for as long as breeding has been a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Wait... what?? I thought you could only breed Pokemon with each other with the exception of Ditto, who can breed with anyone. Did they change that at some point in the series?

Egg Groups have been a thing since gen 2.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I randomly ran into a shiny Mandibuzz and it used loving whirlwind on me :suicide:

Metagrubs
Jan 5, 2015
Lipstick Apathy

Flopsy posted:

I have one in sun and moon....you have one of those versions? BTW anybody here know how to find pokemon with hidden abilities?

I do too lol, nah I need one in swsh

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Emong posted:

Nope, it's been set up like that for as long as breeding has been a thing.

Gruckles posted:

Egg Groups have been a thing since gen 2.

My whole life has been a lie. Ditto has been a lie

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Macaluso posted:

My whole life has been a lie. Ditto has been a lie

ditto is still really useful and also the only way to get more of a pokemon if all you have is a male one to start with

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Flopsy posted:

I have one in sun and moon....you have one of those versions? BTW anybody here know how to find pokemon with hidden abilities?

Sometimes raid mons have them. It’s in no way guaranteed though. :shepface:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I actually caught a Mareanie in a raid yesterday, but I didnt check what it's ability was since I was leveling Koffing and Toxel

Metagrubs
Jan 5, 2015
Lipstick Apathy

THE loving MOON posted:

I actually caught a Mareanie in a raid yesterday, but I didnt check what it's ability was since I was leveling Koffing and Toxel

Could you check for me, and breed me one or gimme that one? You'd be a hero

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

Flopsy posted:

BTW anybody here know how to find pokemon with hidden abilities?

Raids and anecdotally the glowing wild mons. No idea what the % odds are though.

pray for my aunt fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 19, 2019

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/todopokie/status/1196116179040923649?s=19

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

What pokemon are y'all using to help capture? I've been relying on chipping things down to red HP with Nuzzle, but something that can put things to sleep more reliably than Hypnosis would be nice.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

Walrus Pete posted:

What pokemon are y'all using to help capture? I've been relying on chipping things down to red HP with Nuzzle, but something that can put things to sleep more reliably than Hypnosis would be nice.

I don't think Spore is in SwSh, so the only way to get better accuracy is on sleep is Compound Eyes. Gallade can learn Thunder Wave, Hypnosis, False Swipe and a heal making it a prime candidate. Setting up a catching Gallade is my next goal.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Walrus Pete posted:

I caught a Pancham, taught it False Swipe, and jacked it up full of EXP candies. I use it in tandem with my Butterfree that knows Sleep Powder.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, at computer.

Verdict, as stated: it's comfort food, the game. It's not anything special, not going to blow your socks off, but nice, warm comfort. That said, some in depth things that I didn't cover prior.

First off, the villains in the game are probably the best in the series. Both Rose and Yell have good reasons for doing bad things. Rose is worried about the future, but is shortsighted in it won't be a problem in anyone's life times. Yell wants to bring their town back to glory. Both good intentions, just not good execution, and to me it makes them relatable and believable.

Secondly, you can tell when the time crunch started to hit. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to extend the wild area even further north, but time ran out. Gym 4 or 5 is where the seams start to show, and once you get past 7, it's obvious that the time crunch hits.

About Gym 7. Thematically, it makes sense, though gameplay wise it's lacking. Broken record and whatnot, it's a beat-em-up tribute, in a town that has seen better days. They probably want a nice, glorious mission like the others but can't anymore. Oh and the music in it rips royal rear end. However, from a gameplay perspective it falls a bit flat. Gym 8 is :effort:, the gym, especially compared to its predecessors in the game.

The removal of the Elite 4 makes sense, and is a good change to me. You are supposed to effectively go in order: challenger finals, night off to recover, gym leader finals, champion match. My take is the leaders are probably former top ranked challengers, or challengers who, would under normal circumstances, would have made it all the way but other had things happen (I'm looking at you Bede).

On that note, the rivals. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Marnie is great. She's a perfect example of how to do a friendly rival. Bede grated me but that was the point, and it's nice to see him find some redemption. Hop... is worse than Hau. Hop is arrogant, Hau just wants to have fun and raise Pokemon. I did have a smile though when he brought back his original team after trying to shake it up.

Difficulty: If you don't go out of your way to grind, namely only do trainers and a spot of catching here and there, you won't overlevel. I thought I would be be cheap bringing loving Eternatus along with me to Leon's fight, BUT NOPE, HE NUKED EVERYONE ELSE. The difficulty is definitely there.

That being said, I think the biggest indictment here is not so much Gamefreak, but Nintendo and the Pokemon Company. They could really benefit from stretching the releases from every year to a year and a half, maybe two years. Problem is, Pokemon, as a while, is such a major media empire that requires planning well in advance.

And yes, I would like fries with that.

Final team Eldegoss was the one who got swapped for Eternatus:
Cinderace: Punk
Drednaw: Snapper
Corviknight: Edelgard
Eldegoss: Yuka
Toxtricity: Blast Beat
Hatterene: Trans Pride

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Metagrubs posted:

Could you check for me, and breed me one or gimme that one? You'd be a hero

The one I have has got Limber. I just looked it up on Serebii and apparently Regenerator is it's Hidden Ability, so I dunno how you'd go about getting that.

Walrus Pete posted:

Malamar. Inkay has hypnosis, and I've been using it for Psychic and Dark coverage anyway. I'm using a lot of pokemon I've never bothered with much before.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Walrus Pete posted:

Setting up a Gallade for capturing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I use Quick Balls and if that doesn't work I run.

DoorMatt
Dec 14, 2007
Watch The Nose

Clarste posted:

I use Quick Balls and if that doesn't work I run.

:hellyeah:

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

You can get a Nincada or Ninjask pretty early with false swipe right out of the gate.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I want to start frontloading the work of creating competitive teams.

- where is ditto?
- where do I get mints?
- is there an equivalent of bottle caps in this name? If yes, where? If no, where is the destiny knot?
- are hidden abilities really only available through raids and aren't breedable??

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Bottlecaps still exist, I have gotten them from raids. If there are post-game sources I don't know what they are.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I want to start frontloading the work of creating competitive teams.

- where is ditto?
- where do I get mints?
- is there an equivalent of bottle caps in this name? If yes, where? If no, where is the destiny knot?
- are hidden abilities really only available through raids and aren't breedable??

-Lake of Outrage, Wild Land (Northwestern most zone)
-Battle Tower (Aka Rose Tower)
-Yes.
-Not a clue! Would be weird if you couldn't pass them down though...

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I see all the budget went into the legendary encounter of this game. Legit cool setpiece and gimmick. It's dopey but I like dopey.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Oh and is there a convenient method of EV training?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I see all the budget went into the legendary encounter of this game. Legit cool setpiece and gimmick. It's dopey but I like dopey.
All the budget went into the first one, specifically. The other two had no music and a very badly looped 1 minute of music, specifically, unless my game bugged out.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Oh and is there a convenient method of EV training?

you can just shove drugs down your pokemon's throat the whole way now

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
lmao, the only Pokes that survived the Champion Fight were:

d'Artagnan the SirFetch'd
Joan Jett the Toxtricity
Henry Rollins the Obstagoon

e: where do I get the berries to reduce unwanted EVs?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Wooper is the best little :downs: in the world.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:wooper:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Incoherence posted:

All the budget went into the first one, specifically. The other two had no music and a very badly looped 1 minute of music, specifically, unless my game bugged out.

Sounds bugged to me. In the normal fight he had a pretty cool theme, then before the wolves showed up it was like... horror electronic sounding? The wolf balled went on. Fight didn't last long enough for me to really focus on it looping so that part might of been on me.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sounds bugged to me. In the normal fight he had a pretty cool theme, then before the wolves showed up it was like... horror electronic sounding? The wolf balled went on. Fight didn't last long enough for me to really focus on it looping so that part might of been on me.
Not that. I'm talking about something in the postgame (you can probably guess what it is).

The postgame feels extremely rushed, in general.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Incoherence posted:

Not that. I'm talking about something in the postgame (you can probably guess what it is).

The postgame feels extremely rushed, in general.

Oh dang. I stopped after the event I described so I guess I'll see that tomorrow :v:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
There's a noticeable jump in difficulty from the fights just before the Champion to the Champion himself. Kinda surprising.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
I'm stuck in the starting wild zone. Not because I don't know where to go, but because I'm too busy chasing down the raid battles across the map to really care about progressing further. I probably should use some of the Watts I picked up, along with the exp candy, but once again, I'm too busy chasing beams.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I was a bit worried because it looked so frail

But Polteageist is wiping the floor with everything that isn't dark type (Grimmsnarl handles those)

Do 1 time use items disappear forever if you use them outside of like, battle tower? Like will a focus sash never come back?

My "New Pokemon Only" rule has worked out great, there are some super cool new guys. Currently 8 badges in but I think I'll use these guys to finish the game and then go back and start replacing.

• Polteageist: Monster. Takes more hits than I thought it would. Also hilarious to sweep teams with a teapot
  • Grimmsnarl: Fairy + Dark is a cool type and then Prankster is just ridiculously good
  • Flapple: I love the design of flying dragon apple. However it's not very good :/ still using it because it's a flying apple, and it has a unique move, where it drops apples on your head.
  • Rillaboom: Actually pretty great. Not very fast but gets really good moves and can take a bunch of hits. When they release the hidden ability version I'd like to use one
  • Toxitricity: Not amazing honestly, he's dropping off in usefulness. He hits pretty hard and has a very very strong Normal type move (It's basically Hyper Beam with no cooldown and then buffed further by the ability) but he dies quickly to pretty common stuff.
  • Falinks: another one where I am using it because it looks awesome. Good fighting type, nice buff and a good selection of varied moves.

I was using Gyarados a lot and honestly he is busted in this game, but if I wanted a New Only alternative I'd probably do Baraskewda and take out either Flapple or Toxitricity

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Do 1 time use items disappear forever if you use them outside of like, battle tower? Like will a focus sash never come back?

Yes.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I didn't like the championship just being people you fought before - recently even with how quick the pacing in this one is. The champion fight itself was cool though, and even managed to be pretty close - got there at a 5 level disadvantage, in the end I was down to one last pokemon and had to cheese it with a max revive.

Another thing I missed was a "hall of fame" slide where it shows what teams you used to beat each gym up to the finals.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Avalerion posted:

I didn't like the championship just being people you fought before - recently even with how quick the pacing in this one is. The champion fight itself was cool though, and even managed to be pretty close - got there at a 5 level disadvantage, in the end I was down to one last pokemon and had to cheese it with a max revive.

Another thing I missed was a "hall of fame" slide where it shows what teams you used to beat each gym up to the finals.

I don't think reusing the Gym leaders like that is a bad idea, at least in principle. I think it's better to give them more focus as characters, rather than introduce even more people who you will never see again. And frankly it kind of explains the relationship between gym leaders and the league champion in a much more concrete and logical way than any Pokemon game has done before.

Not that the game necessarily cashed in on these character development opportunities, but I didn't mind it at least.

In general I feel like this game's plot would have been much better if it just scrapped every last bit of the legendary/secret organization plot lines and just decided to be a sports drama, because that's really where it shined. Presentation-wise, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Man is it me or my Switch Lite. I got the Pokemon one but sometimes I get dead spots where I'll slow to a walk, even when my joystick is all the way pressed foward. I just hit a spot where I stopped moving altogether. The Switch Lite is only 2 weeks old.