Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So DC Universe has almost every single Superman show cartoon movie or serial but it doesn't have Batman 66?
What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

David D. Davidson posted:

So DC Universe has almost every single Superman show cartoon movie or serial but it doesn't have Batman 66?
What the gently caress?

If I had to guess, it may be because Fox has a production credit on Batman and Disney now owns Fox and Disney is motherfucking Disney and would rather burn the film than play nice.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TwoPair posted:

If I had to guess, it may be because Fox has a production credit on Batman and Disney now owns Fox and Disney is motherfucking Disney and would rather burn the film than play nice.

They had the rights situation worked out somewhat before the buy out, but at this point yeah, I bet there's almost zero chance we ever see it anywhere again and I wouldn't be surprised if the blu-rays go quietly out of print.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1195491177711190016

"One source close to the production hints that Di Martino may in fact portray a female incarnation of Loki and, in effect share the role with Hiddleston."

lomzus fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 16, 2019

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Well poo poo, now I’ve got to get Disney Plus

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Runaways upcoming third season to be its last.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm sure all 17 of it's fans will be devastated.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

It's a final nail for the current incarnation of Cloak and Dagger too so yeah, I'm a little sad.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

that's uh

pretty weak reasoning for suddenly making a character a blonde white lady

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

RevKrule posted:

It's a final nail for the current incarnation of Cloak and Dagger too so yeah, I'm a little sad.

Yeah, it's a bummer. RIP Cloak & Dagger, the greatest superhero show nobody watched.

Unless Feige brings them back somehow. I mean, they were considering using Gabriel Luna as Ghost Rider for other projects.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

that's uh

The only cw showrunners I trust even a modicum are for Black Lightning and now The Flash. It took this many seasons (and coincidentally hiring a black showrunner) for us to see Candice Patton's curls on screen.

He also said hey maybe it would be neat if we address what it was like for Barry growing up with a black family which I'm curious if they'll actually get to do or not lol

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 19, 2019

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Alfred's got like a half dozen kids/grandkids/nieces etc. that are already white they could have just used instead for a reason as dumb as that.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Blockhouse posted:

that's uh

well, the character was originally white at least, surprised they didn't make that defense

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Julia_Remarque_(Earth-One)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I swear to God Tom if you once again refuse to put on that suit...

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1196887584510627840

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

X-O posted:

I swear to God Tom if you once again refuse to put on that suit...

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1196887584510627840

The iconic superheroes of Superman, Batman, and Random Axe Murderer

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I haven't watched the CW shows in years but am all in on Kevin Conroy as old Batman. When is this happening?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Heathen posted:

I haven't watched the CW shows in years but am all in on Kevin Conroy as old Batman. When is this happening?
Assuming nothing's shifted...

Supergirl: Sunday, Dec. 8 at 8 p.m.

Batwoman: Monday, Dec. 9 at 8 p.m.

The Flash: Tuesday, Dec. 10 at 8 p.m.

***Hiatus for suspense/Christmas nonstandard scheduling***

Arrow: Tuesday, Jan 14 at 8 p.m.

DC’s Legends of Tomorrow: Tuesday, Jan 14. at 9 p.m.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There’s a month long delay in the middle of a crossover?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Retro Futurist posted:

Just be grateful it isn't more like the comics where the final parts are delayed months because someone has to catch up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Retro Futurist posted:

This truly is the most comics accurate crossover in history

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I know a lot of people have gotten tired of BTAS defining the character, but I can't help it. When I see Batman, I hear Kevin Conroy. Which is funny because as I grow older, I kinda hate the way the animated series and Arkham games characterize Batman.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
i'd say "put Welling in the n52 jeans and tshirt look" but he's gonna have like three minutes of screentime so just letting him be papa Clark on the farm is fine

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SonicRulez posted:

I know a lot of people have gotten tired of BTAS defining the character, but I can't help it. When I see Batman, I hear Kevin Conroy. Which is funny because as I grow older, I kinda hate the way the animated series and Arkham games characterize Batman.

Conroy's biggest problem is he can't really do the voice anymore. Watch BTAS or Justice League or anything from that era, then look at the Arkham games or Injustice. He doesn't even differentiate between a Bruce Wayne voice or a Batman voice anymore, it's just exactly the same.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Retro Futurist posted:

The original plan was doomsday clock style delays

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

Conroy's biggest problem is he can't really do the voice anymore. Watch BTAS or Justice League or anything from that era, then look at the Arkham games or Injustice. He doesn't even differentiate between a Bruce Wayne voice or a Batman voice anymore, it's just exactly the same.

And he doesn't do a Batman voice beyond "angry". Which like, sure, angry is Batman's default state, but like you said, in the old stuff he would crack a one-liner now and then.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is that necessarily because he can't, or because it's a different kind of Batman in those games though?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah I don't think Conroy writes any of the stuff he's doing nowadays

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Is that necessarily because he can't, or because it's a different kind of Batman in those games though?

That's fair. The Arkham games are far from the best Batman writing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, the Arkham games might legitimately be my least favorite interpretation of the overall mythos. It's cool aesthetically, I guess, but any deeper than that you run into huge problems. Like, I completely reject the 100% ending of Arkham Knight due to how thoroughly antithetical it is to what I believe is important both in real life and about Batman as a character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kevin Conroy also hasn't really done the separate Bruce Wayne voice since New Adventures started airing. That show seemed to want Bruce Wayne to just look and sound like Batman in a poor civilian disguise, and that's kinda where he's been ever since, at least in the material I've seen.

I don't know if Conroy has any input on that at all, but I sure have opinions about it.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Lurdiak posted:

Kevin Conroy also hasn't really done the separate Bruce Wayne voice since New Adventures started airing. That show seemed to want Bruce Wayne to just look and sound like Batman in a poor civilian disguise, and that's kinda where he's been ever since, at least in the material I've seen.

I don't know if Conroy has any input on that at all, but I sure have opinions about it.

Hard same, I miss BTAS Bruce as it is legitimately my favorite interpretation of him. I’m not a fan of this whole Bruce is the mask bullshit

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Arist posted:

Yeah, the Arkham games might legitimately be my least favorite interpretation of the overall mythos. It's cool aesthetically, I guess, but any deeper than that you run into huge problems. Like, I completely reject the 100% ending of Arkham Knight due to how thoroughly antithetical it is to what I believe is important both in real life and about Batman as a character.

Could you elaborate in spoilers?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

good day for a bris posted:

Hard same, I miss BTAS Bruce as it is legitimately my favorite interpretation of him. I’m not a fan of this whole Bruce is the mask bullshit

I still think Bruce is a mask in those there's just a 3rd person you have to watch for and it's Bruce alone with alfred. Like he gets a ton of cred for his party boy Bruce voice versus his crime fighting Batman voice but it goes even deeper.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Could you elaborate in spoilers?

I feel like in order for me to get on board with the premise that it's okay for Bruce Wayne to wear a costume to brutalize the mentally ill, I have to first know that he's trying to address the problem in other ways. Like, philanthropy is mainly used for tax dodging in real life, I know that, but I can dream up some ideal world where Bruce Wayne is giving substantial sums back to the community and using it to fund mental healthcare and education programs. Basically, I feel like I need the acknowledgment that Bruce Wayne and Batman are both necessary halves of the solution if Batman has to exist at all. But Arkham Knight ends with Bruce Wayne, identity revealed, killing off that persona and becoming Batman entirely. It feels like it's saying that Batman's secret identity was just an inconvenience, that Batman was the true identity all along, and that the human being Bruce Wayne was never an important asset. I hate it. I hate Arkham Knight.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Nah, he's still got it in New Adventures (or... okay, in STAS, but whatever, they aired at the same time)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe0gt60rNHI

TNBA just had less Bruce overall, iirc, and focused more on Bat-adventures.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 21, 2019

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I still think Bruce is a mask in those there's just a 3rd person you have to watch for and it's Bruce alone with alfred. Like he gets a ton of cred for his party boy Bruce voice versus his crime fighting Batman voice but it goes even deeper.

I totally agree with this. Scenes such as Bruce with Leslie or when he was with Matthew Thorne asking about his parents felt more like the real Bruce. I just reject the whole idea of Bruce being Batman all the time of he could. Playboy Bruce, business Bruce, and Batman should all be different aspects of one person.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I guess the persona of Batman(scary theatrics) and the persona of Bruce(idiot playboy) are tools to accomplish his agenda and he's only really himself when he's with family.
Basically Batman be frontin'

Arist posted:

I hate Arkham Knight.

I absolutely agree with your point.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I guess the persona of Batman(scary theatrics) and the persona of Bruce(idiot playboy) are tools to accomplish his agenda and he's only really himself when he's with family.
Basically Batman be frontin'

But then, who isn't?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah, I dislike the Bruce is the mask poo poo too. One of my favorite things from Batman Begins was how Bruce kept trying to say that Bruce Wayne wasn't important throughout the movie, but then he finds out from Ras that his family was fighting the League too, because they'd tried attacking Gotham with economics. Sounds cheesy but I thought it did well in adding weight to the family legacy and making Bruce and Batman be more of a "two fronts" thing than a "In my mind, I don't call myself that" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Bruce being the mask doesn't bother me that much. I just think the DCAU Batman interpretation (that bled so hard into Arkham stuff) is so cynical that it bothers me. Like the Batman Beyond Bruce who dies old and alone because only his weird bio kid can stand to be around him is oof. I liked Young Justice Batman. He was still Batman, but like the people around him seemed to like him and you can understand how he might have like 10 sidekicks and be involved with 3 or 4 teams.

Wolverine is the same way. Like you have to write him gruff, but if he's an outright rear end in a top hat all the time, you missed the mark.

Blockhouse posted:

Idk if he can't do it so much as he isn't being asked to. Which is a shame really.