Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

T-man posted:

nobody should love fantasy final 6

It's not the worst. The thing about JRPGs of that era is that there were so few that everyone could actually play them. Now there's just so loving many. If you played nothing but one series, you could still skip titles out of necessity. The Atelier games are on installation, like, 25?

On the note of JRPGs: Seiken Densetsu 3 / Trials of Mana is coming out in the West finally soon. That one has me loving salivating; they seem to have managed to replicate the amazing art style from the sprites into 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Atrocious Joe posted:

i put on Matt Tiabbi's appearance on Joe Rogan today and I had to turn it off before the end. Tiabbi's new book seems like it might be a decent examination of how media outlets have embraced outrage and consistent, unchallenging bias in their content, which is good for short term engagement but seems to be driving increasing numbers of people away from mainstream outlets.

Tiabbi's solution seems to be going back to the 1960s when news outlets were all "unbiased" even though they collaborated with intelligence and security agencies everyday to protect the US ruling class. Knowing Tiabbi's dad was involved in the news media just made it seem like nostalgia and white washing. He didn't really clarify why the mainstream news media dying would be bad anyway.

And then Tiabbi and Rogan got themselves going on and on about how cancel culture sucks, which was just boring to listen to. It's a conversation that impacts media people, and literally no one else.

I only listen to Rogan when he has a really interesting guest, but despite a promising guest this was just really bad. Tiabbi didn't even talk about his Russia days which is the exact type of dumb funny poo poo Rogan's show runs off normally.

What sucked about the JRE with Taibbi? KURT EICHENWALD CAME UP NATURALLY IN THE CONVO AND MATT EITHER DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT OR DIDN'T THINK TO BRING UP HENTAICHENWALDGATE

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

It's not the worst. The thing about JRPGs of that era is that there were so few that everyone could actually play them. Now there's just so loving many. If you played nothing but one series, you could still skip titles out of necessity. The Atelier games are on installation, like, 25?

On the note of JRPGs: Seiken Densetsu 3 / Trials of Mana is coming out in the West finally soon. That one has me loving salivating; they seem to have managed to replicate the amazing art style from the sprites into 3D.

SD3 is real good, yeah. I played a rom version a few years back and it holds up.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
the only good rpgs to come out of japan are the bloodborne/dark souls stuff

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Is there a games thread?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Is there a games thread?

This is a "Leslie Lee is wrong about everything but FFVI and politics" thread.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Atrocious Joe posted:

i put on Matt Tiabbi's appearance on Joe Rogan today and I had to turn it off before the end. Tiabbi's new book seems like it might be a decent examination of how media outlets have embraced outrage and consistent, unchallenging bias in their content, which is good for short term engagement but seems to be driving increasing numbers of people away from mainstream outlets.

Tiabbi's solution seems to be going back to the 1960s when news outlets were all "unbiased" even though they collaborated with intelligence and security agencies everyday to protect the US ruling class. Knowing Tiabbi's dad was involved in the news media just made it seem like nostalgia and white washing. He didn't really clarify why the mainstream news media dying would be bad anyway.

And then Tiabbi and Rogan got themselves going on and on about how cancel culture sucks, which was just boring to listen to. It's a conversation that impacts media people, and literally no one else.

I only listen to Rogan when he has a really interesting guest, but despite a promising guest this was just really bad. Tiabbi didn't even talk about his Russia days which is the exact type of dumb funny poo poo Rogan's show runs off normally.

it’s spelled “Taibbi”

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Majorian posted:

I tried getting back into Struggle Session and I just can't. Leslie Lee's opinions about pop culture are all terrible, with the exception of his love for Final Fantasy 6. I listened to the one-minute teaser about "The Mandalorian," and his complaint is that it's not ambitious and should have been something galaxy-spanning (I'm guessing he loved the prequels). It really confounds me how someone with such good political views has such bad views about everything else.

he once said alan moore doesnt like pastiche and it blew my mind so hard i texted a friend who does comics to be like YOU HAVE TO HEAR THIS because i could not bear that pain alone

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Apoplexy posted:

its already out, its on the mana collectino on switch

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Now I'm imagining John Dolan on Rogan and chuckling to myself.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it’s spelled “Taibbi”

that also sets off spellcheck on my browser, so I guess we'll never know

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

its already out, its on the mana collectino on switch

Different release, I think. There's SD3 localized and just like the SFC/SNES version in the Mana Collection and then Trials of Mana stand-alone, fully 3D and rebuilt like the Secret of Mana port that came out a year or so ago. https://store.steampowered.com/app/924980/Trials_of_Mana/

edit: Yeah, just confirmed it, the Mana Collection is just Final Fantasy Adventure, Secret of Mana, and Seiken Densetsu 3/Trials of Mana ROMs basically.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

ATP_Power posted:

Now I'm imagining John Dolan on Rogan and chuckling to myself.

It's going to be tough for Rogan, since Dolan has been banned from countries for posting but is also the most sickly man in the world

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

secret of mana is one of my favorite all-time games but that remake from a couple years ago looked so bad i didn't even bother trying it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shakenbaker posted:

[video type="youtube"] x 10

shameful as poo poo

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

i say swears online posted:

secret of mana is one of my favorite all-time games but that remake from a couple years ago looked so bad i didn't even bother trying it

Trust me when I say, as someone who grew up on Secret of Mana, that SD3 is significantly better. Try it out sometime, you should be pleased!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i played SD3 through the first couple bosses and liked it a lot but didn't get far. if the remake is the same garbage engine that secret of mana used i'll stick to the rom

just got a steam controller so that may be fun. chrono trigger holds up but it's easy af

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I've still never played Chrono trigger

Maybe when I build my retropie handheld this winter that's how I'll Christen it

Dec 26, 2012

finally finished disco elysium. holy hell, what a ride. gonna replay as an intelligence guy to see how much poo poo i missed

Apoplexy posted:

Trust me when I say, as someone who grew up on Secret of Mana, that SD3 is significantly better. Try it out sometime, you should be pleased!

yeah sd3 is an all-time great. having one of three final bosses depending on who your character is is such a cool idea and would pretty much never happen nowadays

Dec 26, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I've still never played Chrono trigger

Maybe when I build my retropie handheld this winter that's how I'll Christen it

you really, really should

nodebit
Apr 23, 2016

Creepin' like a Creeper, Creepin' like a Creeper

Atrocious Joe posted:

I agree completely that there is a certain air of journalism nostalgia Taibbi pines for anytime he speaks publicly about the general state of journalism in America. That said, I believe he does make a few good points. True modern journalism is going to have to fix its income model if it wishes to continue to exist. If everyone is tired of 10 second sound bytes and outrage over 280 character tweets being labelled as news, we may need to be part of that solution.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

liz and brace going in hard on jeet heer

https://twitter.com/trueanonpod/status/1196661649307885569?s=21

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/FlugeneDebs/status/1196490030665084929

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
the mayor pete high hopes dance gives off some extreme peter daou (well before he went team bernie) energy. so much passion for the least likeable candidate. it's kind of admirable actually, i can't hate it

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
did anyone post this king yet?

https://twitter.com/AdamFriedland/status/1196540871967199232?s=19

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

What’s that some kind of bug that eats dust

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Apoplexy posted:

What sucked about the JRE with Taibbi? KURT EICHENWALD CAME UP NATURALLY IN THE CONVO AND MATT EITHER DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT OR DIDN'T THINK TO BRING UP HENTAICHENWALDGATE

This was a terrible gently caress up by taibbi TBQH. I also liked when joe said the founding fathers saw what would happen if anyone's speech was censored and that's why they made the first amendment and matt was just like "yeah".

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Also matt ranting about dipshit libs overthinking themselves into being dumber than stalin meme teens is prime content.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The latest Behind the Bastards starts off with some Concerns about the Epstein case and its followers, then tells the tale of the sordid but lucrative career of Michael Baden.

Look, I understand that there's a distinction between these two narratives: First, that Jeffrey Epstein personally threatened to harm journalists or blackmail their bosses if they didn't spike stories about him. And second, that media outlets self-censored because Epstein is wealthy and powerful, and he's shored up his reputation through philanthropy, and they can't prove anything for certain. I know that there's a distinction, but I just don't see why I should really care all that much. The takeaway is the same.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The system is setup so the rich don't even have to make threats. The threat is implicit. I doubt there was even an order to kill Epstein. The police understand their place in the system. The order was implicit.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm with JokeHER

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Bar Crow posted:

The system is setup so the rich don't even have to make threats. The threat is implicit. I doubt there was even an order to kill Epstein. The police understand their place in the system. The order was implicit.

This is one of those things people say when they want to sound worldly and thoughtful but which actually doesn't make a lick of god damned sense when placed under scrutiny.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Helsing posted:

This is one of those things people say when they want to sound worldly and thoughtful but which actually doesn't make a lick of god damned sense when placed under scrutiny.

read Foucault or stfu

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
's Pendulum or stfu

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, I don't believe the NYPD ran their standard Billionaire Pedophile Cartel Operator protocol and decided they should kill Epstein on spec.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
foucault is pronounced "fucko"

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Helsing posted:

It works for more consistent systematic problems like media coverage and everyday police brutality, but not for billionaire pedo murder

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

I like Taibbi but I stopped listening after he didn't push back any at Rogan whining about not getting to be transphobic on social media

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Didn't CT have a point beyond which every boss enemy used either the "my resistance/vulnerability" gimmick changes every turn" or the "there are three of me, find the real one" gimmick?

Son of Sun is the worst in this regard as you've got to hit the slot machine boss correctly or get blasted with flares to the face

honorable mention also goes to "boss with giant attack that spends five turns charging up"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

T-man posted:

read Foucault or stfu

Try actually reading Foucault instead of whatever terrible grad student blog you're relying on