Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
the Lib Dems are at it again

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...f08eeb483f1a1ef

quote:

The fact that we’re on 20 MPs and to get to 326 is quite a target, yes. We will get to the other side of the election and if the Conservatives haven’t got a majority then discussions will take place, but we will take each issue as it comes and vote accordingly and we will not be putting Jeremy Corbyn into No 10 …

We do have a choice not to put either of the two prime ministers into No 10, which is why we think that there should be more of an offer put to the public in terms of who should be prime minister.

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

forkboy84 posted:

Mike Gapes won 75.8% last time out. His majority was over 50%. Traditionally the seat has gone Labour to Tory to Labour to Tory since 1945, but since Mike Gapes became MP it became a very strong safe seat.

Of course absolutely less than 5% of the vote will have been for the MP himself. The rest is for Labour. He's going to lose, it's going to be funny

Delicious.

Also I really really want to tell my students to vote Labour today on that policy alone but of course I can only tell them to vote.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sanford posted:

wtf is inraducation

Apparently crime is so bad there people have been playing "pin the tail on the copper" too.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Rarity posted:

Thanks Trickjaw, it was very kind of you to think of me and I did appreciate the joke but it did also remind me that male ducks have corkscrew shaped penises so that female ducks can't escape from them mid-penetration so please don't make light of a very serious issue!

So they’re shaped like Bad Dragons, the most popular dildo on the market today?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Trickjaw posted:

When they start running for parliament, I'll worry. As a human, geese or swans are far more of a worry.

Untitled Goose for Member of Parliament 2019. Mace in the lake.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Meanwhile, in America:

https://twitter.com/juliusisok/status/1196629982732177409

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Suzanne Moore is a formerly loudly working class journalist who realised that she was actually extremely middle class when Corbyn was elected and has been scuttling rightwards ever since, while proclaiming Teresa May-style that "nothing has changed" about her values and opinions.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Seems like it's the day for the worst people we know making good points in their headlines entirely by accident.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Lib Dems couldn't be loving it harder. Even the most rabid fubpee knows that they can't get a majority, and even if they don't want to vote Labour, they know full well that propping up a tory government will ultimately deliver Brexit, and another hung parliament risks it as well. Jo Swinson seems almost gleefully enthusiastic about losing votes.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Collateral posted:

Not sure about the fonts but I have bolded the important bit as an unfortunate with dyslexia*. I have any number of pastel acetates I have to put over white sheets.

*My form is the eye-colour one, there are a few forms so its not a simple issue. I am supposed to wear ~*~special~*~ tinted glasses, but gently caress that, I don't want to look like a nonce.

Very interesting, thank you :)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The Lib Dems couldn't be loving it harder. Even the most rabid fubpee knows that they can't get a majority, and even if they don't want to vote Labour, they know full well that propping up a tory government will ultimately deliver Brexit, and another hung parliament risks it as well. Jo Swinson seems almost gleefully enthusiastic about losing votes.

I went out with two left leaning people on Saturday, both of whom live in LAB/CON marginals, and both said they were voting Lib Dem to stop Brexit.

Politically engaged people are seeing through this really easily, but I wouldn't underestimate the number of people who followed and hashtag and joined a Facebook group and now know what must be done for the greater good. (The greater good). They can still do a lot of damage, even if it's not as much as Swinson wants.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

Thanks Trickjaw, it was very kind of you to think of me and I did appreciate the joke but it did also remind me that male ducks have corkscrew shaped penises so that female ducks can't escape from them mid-penetration so please don't make light of a very serious issue!
Fortunately nature has both furnished female ducks with labyrinthine vaginas often spun in the opposite direction to frustrate terrifying hydraulic rape penes, and also made male ducks very distinct in coloration so that you can shoot the cunts or throw rocks at them.

PawParole posted:

So they’re shaped like Bad Dragons, the most popular dildo on the market today?
They're foot long hydraulic rape drills and direct evidence against a loving god (but perhaps evidence for a hateful nonce god over evolution).

stev posted:

I went out with two left leaning people on Saturday, both of whom live in LAB/CON marginals, and both said they were voting Lib Dem to stop Brexit.

Politically engaged people are seeing through this really easily, but I wouldn't underestimate the number of people who followed and hashtag and joined a Facebook group and now know what must be done for the greater good. (The greater good). They can still do a lot of damage, even if it's not as much as Swinson wants.
Hammer home their economic incompetence. They want to raise taxes and cut spending during a slump, that's the most economically illiterate thing I've ever heard. They want austerity++ and this will gently caress the country.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Mate at this point its gone from "Slight crushes" to "actually I have a fetish for terrible opinions". Not meaning to kink shame, but this is something to look into.

I literally do have a fetish for being oppressed by evil people. No joke, the thing I hate most turns me on. I am a land of contrasts.

Makes me wonder if maybe psychological trauma affects our sexuality ;)

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Guavanaut posted:

Hammer home their economic incompetence. They want to raise taxes and cut spending during a slump, that's the most economically illiterate thing I've ever heard. They want austerity++ and this will gently caress the country.
Liberal Democrats are going to bargain the Tories into doing austerity in exchange for voting for the Brexit deal

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/nov/19/heres-an-election-idea-why-not-let-anyone-sit-oxbridge-finals

Worst person you know makes good point? I can't see why throwing open University level exams to all is a bad idea although I might not have noticed some unintended consequence.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1196706115242876928
I really hope this is the flagship manifesto policy.

God drat, if that would be the case it would basically lock down the vote of a big slice of 35 year olds and under.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Braggart posted:

I literally do have a fetish for being oppressed by evil people. No joke, the thing I hate most turns me on. I am a land of contrasts.

Makes me wonder if maybe psychological trauma affects our sexuality ;)

It absolutely does

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Trickjaw posted:

As a human, geese or swans are far more of a worry.

:honk:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Aphex- posted:

God drat, if that would be the case it would basically lock down the vote of a big slice of 35 year olds and under.

But what about those who didn’t need student loans, or if they did take them, their parents invested the money during their studies - this would be an unfair moral hazard

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1196705542909108224

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Worst person you know dot jpeg (it's probably not actually a good point but the title makes it seem like one)

It's not a good point. It's "they're all the same" intended to smear Labour by associating them with the trash fire that is the Tory Party. It excuses the excesses of the Tories and plays right into their hands by discouraging potential Labour voters. Suzanne Moore might think that neither side is worth voting for, but that's because:

Pesky Splinter posted:

She's still salty over 2010.

quote:

Moore stood as an independent candidate for the constituency of Hackney North and Stoke Newington in the 2010 UK general election due to her disillusionment with the main political parties. She finished sixth with 0.6% of the vote, losing to Diane Abbott and forfeiting her deposit. (:lol: get wrecked)

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
On This Day The Times, March 20, 1992

A major news story featuring Prince Andrew, the month before a general election, at a point in time where the Tories had long outstayed their welcome. Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself that closely.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Zalakwe posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/nov/19/heres-an-election-idea-why-not-let-anyone-sit-oxbridge-finals

Worst person you know makes good point? I can't see why throwing open University level exams to all is a bad idea although I might not have noticed some unintended consequence.

quote:

Want a truly radical idea? Weirdly, it came from a Conservative, Dominic Raab, at a conference fringe event.

Weird!

Making education system centred entirely around "can pass exams" is supposed to be the problem, not the goal.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

PawParole posted:

Femdom is called le vice anglais for a reason. It’s in the genes of south britons, along with perpetual sad-brains and horrible taste in snacks.

I looked this up and it's just sadomasochism (and occasionally homosexuality), nothing to do with femdom. So you suck.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1196706115242876928
I really hope this is the flagship manifesto policy.

FREEBIES! FREEBIES!!! :byodood:

Now where's my tax cut, you cunts? :mad:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Apparently Chris Matthews is a storied TV assripper https://twitter.com/AaronBurdette/status/1196640607801733120?s=20

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

I looked this up and it's just sadomasochism (and occasionally homosexuality), nothing to do with femdom. So you suck.

Which is named after a French dude :thunk: :france:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/1196721252502822913

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bundy posted:

This one's better:

:effort:

You are now about to witness the strength of sensible centrist knowledge

Straight outta Parliament, crazy motherfucker named Swinson
From the gang called Lib Demz Wit Attitudes
When ITV called off, I go to the High Court
Yell about Misogyny, and my case got hauled off

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

I'm calling it now - Michael Gapesford will receive fewer than 1000 votes for his seat in the GE. It'll be worth staying up just to see this oblivious loving goon be wiped out.

Also I'll be at work in the sick children factory until about 10pm so won't see are Jez live.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Corbyn take my energy ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I always thought the english vice was getting spanked but turns out that's the english disease, as well as:

Football (soccer) hooliganism

Depression (especially suicidal)

Hypochondria

Sweating sickness

Gout

Rickets

Syphilis

Bronchitis

Tuberculosis

Laziness, low motivation

Poor industrial relations, and the resulting economic weakness

Masochism, especially a fondness for flagellation

Gambling

Haemophilia

Homosexuality

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

HJB posted:

On This Day The Times, March 20, 1992

A major news story featuring Prince Andrew, the month before a general election, at a point in time where the Tories had long outstayed their welcome. Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself that closely.

Gosh, the Palace sided with the person all the stories are now coming out about due to blood ties and villified the person trying to escape him :thunk:

:thermidor:

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

What is with the absolute hatred and vitriol towards Jeremy Corbyn?

I understand his policies are good Ng to be unpopular with certain folk, but it seems the whole 'not fit to be prime minister' bs and lib Dems saying they would absolutely never help him be pm is a bit over the top for simply not liking his policies etc.

I don't really buy that the anti-Semitism stuff is actually swaying people either, given it's sorta died down a wee bit.

Does the average person really think he's gonna go full Stalin the second he gets in power?

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Zalakwe posted:

There might be the seeds of a good idea here but it's unworkable in it's current form.

You can't really farm out the marking of papers here because of the niche subject-matter expertise required; so you'd take the existing workload and then chuck in god knows how many cranks and no-hopers and piss-takers to wade through before you got to the genuine candidates. For every one diamond in the rough you'd have a hundred totally worthless chancers.

To make it workable you'd have to have some pre-qualification criteria which just ends up smuggling the original problem back into the solution.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

fatelvis posted:

I understand his policies are good Ng to be unpopular with certain folk, but it seems the whole 'not fit to be prime minister' bs and lib Dems saying they would absolutely never help him be pm is a bit over the top for simply not liking his policies etc.

I don't really buy that the anti-Semitism stuff is actually swaying people either, given it's sorta died down a wee bit.

Does the average person really think he's gonna go full Stalin the second he gets in power?

Our print media is 90% owned by literal fascists and the Tories have spent years putting their biggest toe-lickers into positions of power at the BBC, creating a right-wing echo chamber that misinforms the public and does everything possible to protect the power of the vested interests.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

fatelvis posted:

His policies are unpopular with certain folk, therefore they do everything they can to make him not get into power. They aren't going to just say "I don't want jeremy corbyn in power because he's going to take away some of my obscene wealth and power". They know he won't let them get away with their hoarding, so they want rid of him.

The items they settled on (AS and unelectability) were not chosen specifically, there was just a good 18 months of random mudslinging to see what stuck, and those stuck best.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

winegums posted:

I'm calling it now - Michael Gapesford will receive fewer than 1000 votes for his seat in the GE. It'll be worth staying up just to see this oblivious loving goon be wiped out.

Also I'll be at work in the sick children factory until about 10pm so won't see are Jez live.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Corbyn take my energy ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

You must do The Chant if you want to transfer energy to the Jam Man :hai:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

fatelvis posted:

I don't think anyone pushing this narrative actually believes it for a moment. It's just the go-to attack line left-wing leaders have had to put up with for decades.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Squirrels can imitate bird calls to lure them to the ground and savagely devour them. I'm with the Lib Dems on this.

Gracious, it's like Autumnwatch in here today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

:allears: I’m so glad she found out about the squirrels thing