Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
numeracy
This poll is closed.
s*x n*mb*r 69 0.22%
w@@d n_mb_r 420 1.34%
Jeb! number 538 1.72%
Biden numbr 30330 96.72%
Total: 31357 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Streak posted:

*quickly glancing over the last two dozen pages* wow, libs are really loving stupid, huh

your monitor’s off again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Phone posted:

i got that mayor pete song stuck in my head

yeah it in like 2 days became one of those dumb things I laugh at immediately, but I also know the loving song now

It's also pretty Pete: the singer expects great things of himself but doesn't know how or why he will get them, wants to be "that one in a million," and wants to create a legacy and manifest his destiny. It's all inspiring go get it stuff, until you realize it says nothing at all about what they will do other than become great and famous. He's certainly not interested in making much of a structural dent, he's okay with 999,999 other people failing as long as he makes it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lastgirl posted:

ah ya i know that guy from Toy Story 2

voiced by Kelsey Grammer :hai:

responding to allegations that he spoke to an organization formed around trying to prove obama was an illegal muslim] scrambled eggs all over my face, what is a boi to do

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chokes McGee posted:

your monitor’s off again

What the gently caress man

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Phone posted:

High in the sky, apple pie hopes!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

high hopes is the song from that one part of the goofy movie

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

seriously comparing JKF high hopes to Butt’s high hopes is a perfect example of how liberalism is dead and only neoliberalism remains

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

1959 liberals:

All problem's just a toy balloon
They'll be bursted soon
They're just bound to go pop
Oops, there goes another problem kerplop

2019 liberals:

Had to have high, high hopes for a living
Shooting for the stars when I couldn't make a killing
Didn't have a dime but I always had a vision
Always had high, high hopes

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Phone posted:

I watched one too many videos making fun of it and now its stuck in my head too

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I've refused to watch those pete dancnig videos and this whole time I thought you guys were talking about the old high hopes song. Thought it was kind of weird that people would be choreographing routines to it, but now it makes a little more sense

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
legit I can’t get it stuck in my head because my mind just goes “cuz he’s got- hiiiiigh hopes, he’s got, hi-i-ugh hopes”

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Phone posted:

it has tortured me all loving day

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

kingcobweb posted:

legit I can’t get it stuck in my head because my mind just goes “cuz he’s got- hiiiiigh hopes, he’s got, hi-i-ugh hopes”

same. it’s like the song only exists when you’re listening to it. seconding gh0stpinballa that Pete is using insidious Company technology to try to win this.

for you goons who can remember it you’re already dead, I’m sorry to say this

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

lmfao good lord

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

for you goons who can remember it you’re already dead, I’m sorry to say this

what else is new

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Grapplejack posted:

lmfao good lord

fart tape is real

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

it has tortured me all loving day

that song has a distinctive SOUND- you know what song it is from even an eighth of a second- but not a catchy anything else?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i can't wait until we get the buttigieg version of the dancing kamala gif

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How are there so many of these

https://twitter.com/CANCEL_SAM/status/1196405058117746693?s=19

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

incredible energy. simply amazing how people work themselves up over the most milquetoast candidate.

speaking of bad dems, Amy klobuchar came to my mosque after trump was elected, so seeing how far right she is is a bummer.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

it's a cia psyop

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
What is the lovely framing they're gonna use tommorow to ask Sanders about Morales and the Coup and give him 30 seconds to respond?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Thoguh posted:

What is the lovely framing they're gonna use tommorow to ask Sanders about Morales and the Coup and give him 30 seconds to respond?
A far-right framing, duh, and Sanders will have apready prepared a response because he knows to beware of succ.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Senator Warren, why is your Medicare for All the best plan besides Mayor Pete's, and why are you the only two on the debate stage offering such comprehensive plans besides Vice President Biden?

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

kazr posted:

Senator Warren, why is your Medicare for All the best plan besides Mayor Pete's, and why are you the only two on the debate stage offering such comprehensive plans besides Vice President Biden?

Look, healthcare is a thing that requires bold action and I know the plan I have laid out on my website is the one to address these fundamental changes for access to healthcare. Under my plan we're going to move towards universal healthcare in a way that makes sense, that brings digninity to the working class, and frankly is fair to all stake holders involved in the process of this transformative step in our free market democracy.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

kazr posted:

Look, healthcare is a thing that requires bold action and I know the plan I have laid out on my website is the one to address these fundamental changes for access to healthcare. Under my plan we're going to move towards universal healthcare in a way that makes sense, that brings digninity to the working class, and frankly is fair to all stake holders involved in the process of this transformative step in our free market democracy.

Mayor Pete?

Okay, look America, we are all wanting something better for everyone but we have to examine how we get there. It's easy to get lured in by pie in the sky promises but we need to be pragmatic and look what is realistic at this time in the political climate we find ourselves in. I do not believe 180 million American's want to be kicked off the private health insurance they love in favor for a plan that's forced in them. That's why I've put forth my Medicare For All Who Want It plan that guarantees citizens* the right to afford access to a public option when and where they need it most. Under my Medicare For All Who Want It Program service will guarantee coverage!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/TinctureDrone/status/1196642155353251840

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO HIGH HOPES

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is my hopes song
My cultish Butt song

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I wonder, who pioneered this type of political fanaticism? Was it always like that?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[a large supply of hope but no solutions from the pete campaign]

I'm getting flashbacks of pepsi trying *really* hard to get everybody to do that summertime hand gesture thing and even that wasn't as nearly as embarrassing as high hopes

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Paladinus posted:

I wonder, who pioneered this type of political fanaticism? Was it always like that?

People with lifestyles comfortable enough they can treat politics like sports and their favorite politicians like all-star athletes should be discouraged from participating.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Paladinus posted:

There's always going to be some level of cross-over between a candidate's policies and "personal loyalty" to them, but there's definitely been a push to deliberately make it more about the latter, in order to paper-over the lack of good policies.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjXyqcx-mYY

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghSJsEVf0pU

hoo boy!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBg2c-vId64

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's always going to be some level of cross-over between a candidate's policies and "personal loyalty" to them, but there's definitely been a push to deliberately make it more about the latter, in order to paper-over the lack of good policies.

My understanding is it's been the case at least since Nixon with personality-centred merchandise and all that, and then at least by the 90s America had weirdos dancing Macarena with Bill Clinton or whatever. And now it's this utter insanity. I suspect it must have developed alongside with wide adoption of television, when people finally could see candidates speaking, and actually, like, recognise their faces consistently. And I think there was a movie not long ago about some American politician from the 70s, I want to say, where the plot revolved around media trying to tank his career by reporting on his marital infidelity instead of policies, which was novel at the time, and it worked.
But I would be interested to read something on the topic of how political campaigning evolved, and how focus shifted more and more to personalities.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Paladinus posted:

My understanding is it's been the case at least since Nixon with personality-centred merchandise and all that, and then at least by the 90s America had weirdos dancing Macarena with Bill Clinton or whatever. And now it's this utter insanity. I suspect it must have developed alongside with wide adoption of television, when people finally could see candidates speaking, and actually, like, recognise their faces consistently. And I think there was a movie not long ago about some American politician from the 70s, I want to say, where the plot revolved around media trying to tank his career by reporting on his marital infidelity instead of policies, which was novel at the time, and it worked.

Gary Hart probably.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Prince Myshkin posted:

Gary Hart probably.

That's it! The movie is called The Front Runner, and Hugh Jackman plays Hart.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

These kids raised after 9/11 are real hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/brianchall/status/1196592719960977408