Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ThomasPaine posted:

look I just want her and weetman to handcuff me to a bed and then berate and insult me and spit on me until I cry and agree with all their craziest takes, at which point I will blow my beans all over myself and they'll laugh and call me pathetic and go home leaving me sobbing in the mess, is that so weird :colbert:

Yes. gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

ThomasPaine posted:

look I just want her and weetman to handcuff me to a bed and then berate and insult me and spit on me until I cry and agree with all their craziest takes, at which point I will blow my beans all over myself and they'll laugh and call me pathetic and go home leaving me sobbing in the mess, is that so weird :colbert:

don't want to start A Thing but not sure if i'm a big fan of this post tbh. not entirely sure where the line is where Hey Could You Not begins but this is certainly heading in a direction

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
This is the problem with the left, they are ultimately left weak and powerless due to sexual dysfunction.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

ThomasPaine posted:

I was eating, you deviant.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jedit posted:

Yes. gently caress off.

that's it! :fh:

Angepain posted:

don't want to start A Thing but not sure if i'm a big fan of this post tbh. not entirely sure where the line is where Hey Could You Not begins but this is certainly heading in a direction

I'm obviously taking the piss, but I'd be interested to know what your angle is. I'm being very careful not to fall into any dumb misogynist tropes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

:same: but about Monster Munch flavours
Crispdom.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Angepain posted:

Yeah cut it out

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

peanut- posted:

I'm sure I could read back a few pages and find out but could someone tell me if Jo Swinson really killed squirrels?

It definitely feels true

Looks like it to me

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
With the Labour manifesto out in just a couple of days I wonder if Corbyn's going to use tonight's debate to break a headline pledge. It would be a great way of stealing the headlines and neutering the spin for Johnson :thunkher:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I heard that she didn't only kill them, but she was brutal about it. Chopping their tail off piece by piece in a never ending series of brutal cuts

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

You're a traitor to your fellow mammals

I can live with that.

Oh, Daily Politics says we hate Indians now:/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

neutering the spin for Johnson
I thought we weren't doing hornychat.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I am watching DS9 through and in season 4 there's an episode where the workers at Quark's Bar form a union and go on strike. O'Brien talks about his 20th century ancestor who was murdered for leading a strike in coal mine country and Rom straight up quotes Karl Marx. It's fun even if you know the ending will be flat and liberal.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
she'd scare the squirrels up into trees, and put nasty traps around the bottom. spikes, grinders, pits of burning oil, chomping jaws

then she'd use her catapult with rubber ammo to knock them off the branches until they fell to their doom

or so i've heard

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I wasn't going to report you for the post, but I may yet report you for implying that I'm a Liberal Democrat.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Jo swinson never touched a grey squirrel

She hates reds of any kind though

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Actually screw it. I realised I agree with you.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 19, 2019

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

I am watching DS9 through and in season 4 there's an episode where the workers at Quark's Bar form a union and go on strike. O'Brien talks about his 20th century ancestor who was murdered for leading a strike in coal mine country and Rom straight up quotes Karl Marx. It's fun even if you know the ending will be flat and liberal.

Isn't star trek set in a currency-less society with universal equality/no poverty, etc?

Sounds awful. Except loving the holo-babes

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm obviously taking the piss, but I'd be interested to know what your angle is. I'm being very careful not to fall into any dumb misogynist tropes.

I suppose I'm mainly worried about the point where saying a thing ironically becomes indistinguishable from just saying the thing. like, we don't actually view these people as sex objects but if we did exactly how far away is our posting from the posts we would make

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Trickjaw posted:

Oh, Daily Politics says we hate Indians now:/
This is why nationalism is loving brain poison. If you can't tell the difference between a Jew and the State of Israel, you're either an antisemite or a Zionist. If you can't tell the difference between an Indian and Hindu nationalism, you're either a racist or a Hindu nationalist.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Oh dear me posted:

Depressing Labour's vote specifically also makes voting LibDem or Green a bit less obviously stupid. If you think Labour can't win anyway you might think it's ok to vote expressively, rather than effectively.
Also more directly with inaccurate polls you can start recommending absurd 'tactical' votes, such as Lib Dem in Kensington, which are very obviously intended to sabotage a slim Labour majority.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

forkboy84 posted:

I think it’s surprisingly less liberal than you might think. iirc quarks actor was the head of the actors union and both the cast and crew were pretty labour sympathetic.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ratjaculation posted:

Isn't star trek set in a currency-less society with universal equality/no poverty, etc?

Sounds awful. Except loving the holo-babes

Yes, but Quark and Rom are Ferengi and Ferengi are all ultra-capitalists.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Thought I’d update the thread with some positive news given the general nature of a lot of my previous posts.

The middle part of this year has been pretty lovely overall. I got made redundant, found a new job, found out we were going to be parents, then suffered a miscarriage (which this thread was very supportive with), got a newer better job and promptly lost it because my new boss was a pearl clutching middle class conservative power tripper. My dad told me a position had become available at the engineering firm he worked at which I basically got the job the second I walked in for the interview. The salary was a bit less than what I was getting before, despite working more hours. Turns out this was actually very very deceptive.

With this position I get a company van and fuel card, so my commuting costs are now zero. My car is now available for my other half to use, plus if we are successful in trying for another baby we don’t need to fork out for a second car. There is also the benefit of being a 10 minute drive away down the motorway with no Dartford Crossing to brave each day.

Then it turns out there is a generous on call allowance, and no one else wants to be on call so I’m free to gobble all of it up. My colleagues are very happy to only have to cover my holiday and the odd couple of days here and there when we want to go out and do stuff. The overtime payments for responding to any call outs are also very generous. Since starting I’ve gotten a counterbalance forklift truck licence, and theres talk of first aider and fire marshall training if I want it.

So after all that bullshit I’m actually earning almost as much as the job I was sacked from (possibly more depending on call outs) but with no commuting costs, no toll costs, no need for a second car when we have a baby, and a huge amount of freedom in where we choose to live because I don’t have to pay for my commute. My work colleagues are generally all very nice and don’t have the cliquey bullshit the last place did. The job itself is actually pretty chill and I'm basically the overlord of my own little kingdom.

This was originally going to be something to tide me over until I found something better, but I’ve decided to stick with it for the long term. Its not the most intellectually engaging work but holds so many advantages for my future family I’d be foolish not to.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Glad to hear things are on the up and up for you mate, that is all seriously good news.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Let's see how the bbc report the Tory candidate getting axed for holocaust denial.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1196696208879865857?s=19

By burying it under a story about a labour guy quitting and blaming Corbyn.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

That's awesome bud, really really happy you've landed on your feet.

Is the implication there that you got sacked because you told your tory boss to gently caress off? Because that would be even better

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

serious gaylord posted:

Let's see how the bbc report the Tory candidate getting axed for holocaust denial.

Lol how are they not grasping that people like hearing about melts showing themselves the door?

Good news all round there!

Also, I’m glad things are working out for you Lord Ludikrous! :)

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not going to write too much as I'm a couple of pages behind and others may already have said this:

As possibly the oldest poster itt, I was coming in to political awareness during the 1970s.

A significant global impact was caused by the Arab countries' oil embargo which hit particularly hard in 1973. You can read a reasonable review of that here: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2011/mar/03/1970s-oil-price-shock

With rampant inflation and lack of goods, this contributed quite a bit to the miners' strikes and the 3 day week of early 1974 (when I was at secondary school - doing homework by candlelight!)

Aside: Around this time (at 13), I was starting to declare myself to be a commie and putting posters of Lenin, hammers and sickles up on my bedroom walls and my mother took me to see Dr Zhivago with the aim of putting me off commies, erm.. that worked... not... I was supposed to be horrified at the poverty-stricken families taking over the big mansion but I wasn't (to be clear - we did not live in a mansion, but in a small urban house).

The aftermath of all this in the mid-late 70s was a rocky economy, crisis (The Bins, bodies unburied for weeks etc - as a student in central London during The Bins, I can safely say it was pretty disgusting, all the central London garden squares chock full of rotting bin bags for weeks on end), even the fire service went on strike. Labour's Jim Callaghan came back from some kind of holiday or trip abroad reportedly uttering the words "crisis, what crisis" - which he didn't but will be forever remembered as having done so - lovely press is nothing new: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/921524.stm

(Oh and apparently there is some kind of 'immersive event' in the next few weeks called Crisis What Crisis on in London ( https://www.designmynight.com/london/whats-on/immersive/crisis-what-crisis ) - I know nothing more.

ronya posted:

I'm perhaps too skeptical of twitter - on the internet everyone is a sockpuppet - but the easy answer there is that the screenshot is a fake

Across the 1960s, pits were being closed, not opened. Demand for coal was falling rapidly. The industry had been gradually being hammered by the invasion of cheap oil, and the NCB was steadily closing pits; opposing these closures was a key demand for the NUM. The 1950 Plan for Coal had overestimated coal demand dramatically and there was a considerable surplus built up.

The main thing that was eating into miner's conditions was inflation eroding real wages. Inflation was higher than the pay increases.

The big clash was in 1972, not in 1974. That clash was underpinned by a tactical evolution more than anything else - the NUM realized that it could picket the movement of coal from stockpiles to power stations. Even though the NCB initially had sufficient surplus coal in stock, it could not transport it to the CEGB's power stations successfully. This was a relatively novel tactic to public opinion and policing strategies. The government at the time was not willing to force the passage of lorries; many stations were in populated areas (the Saltley Gate protest in which a picketing miner was run over by a lorry was in the middle of Birmingham, not out in the coal region somewhere) and the wider sense of legitimacy of riot police as a concept and crowd control as a public interest had not yet set in (compare Orgreave more than a decade later, or Ridley's pre-emptive movement of coal to power stations when industrial action was anticipated).

This limitation was what drove the three-day week, which was a more of a stunt than a serious constraint upon electricity generation; it was gambit intended to impress upon the British public that the crisis was being driven by the miners (Tony Benn denounced it as a "calculated deception" intended to turn the public against the miners. Which it was! He wasn't wrong on that point - household electricity was just not a sufficiently big consumer of power. The main reason to impact households and non-industrial offices was to force the costs to be widely felt). The miners called the bluff and held out until February. Heath relented and agreed to the NUM's wage demands.

This appearance of weakness did not help the Conservatives or for that matter Labour - the Liberals made large gains in 1973 in local and by-elections, somewhat mitigating their 1970 losses (from 12 to 6 and back to 11 by end 1973).

Several other things happened in 1973. The stock market crashed in early 1973 - the FTSE went down by 70% - and growth stalled. After growth in 1972, despite record industrial action, stagflation was setting in. Mick McGahey succeeded Joe Gormley as leader of the NUM; McGahey was much more leftist and much more political, and pledged to bring in a Labour government. The NUM NEC balloted members to strike again in 1973 and was defeated in a landslide. And a coalition of Arab nations invaded Israel on Yom Kippur, sparking off many interesting events such as e.g. a fivefold increase in oil prices. The UK began distributing coupons for petrol rationing and reduced the speed limit to 50mph.

At the end of 1973 - before any strike action had even taken place - Heath re-declared a state of emergency and the three-day week. This was not unreasonable; surveys suggested that if the NUM reballoted members on this year's wage demand, it would succeed. In January 1974, it did and won as expected. Strikes started on 5th February but were largely symbolic - in contrast to Gormley's strategy, McGahey pursued a strategy of studiously avoiding violence which was thought to be unpopular in the wake of 1972 and would certainly not be welcome in time of perceived national instability and cabinet ministers on television solemnly asking the people of Britain to brush their teeth in the dark. Pickets were limited to six men per picket line and no more.

Nonetheless, Heath went ahead with the election two days later. His administration was already four years old, the 1973 recession was unlikely to improve much before the five-year mark, and Labour's internal struggle at the time could not last forever (the left was at this time in its ascendancy, in particular Tony Benn - it had not yet ousted the center-right, who continued to dominate Wilson's cabinet). Memos from his private secretary Douglas Hurd nonetheless emphasized the need to find a good reason for an early election and highlighted the thread that the 1972-style narrative could play in early 1974. An electoral confrontation could undo the perceived surrender to union demands in 1972, which polling suggested that a majority of the public disapproved in retrospect.

Heath ran on "Who governs Britain?", as expected.

Unexpectedly, Labour won a plurality of seats. The Conservatives still had the most votes but too many were wasted. Several points of note:

- the 1970 election had wrongfooted many pollsters - many had forecasted a Labour majority. Many adjusted their approaches in response and had now forecasted a Conservative majority.
- the Sunningdale agreement had infuriated unionists, who would go on to support Wilson's government
- Enoch Powell (!) endorsed Labour in furious to opposition to the UK's membership of the European Community. Powell was at the peak of his post-sacking notoriety and influence at that point
- a report was leaked from the Pay Board suggesting that Heath's government had limited the NCB to making offers below what was recommended by the Pay Board. This was not a quite a fair interpretation (rather the Pay Board was evolving the basis upon which it was making recommendations and the government disagreed). Nonetheless it undermined the entire supposed rationale of the election, i.e., the supposedly unreasonable demands of miners. Instead it looked as if Heath had put the country through a cold winter as an electoral stunt. In the meanwhile, the miners were being conspicuously non-violent.
- since you mention it... the Liberals gained massively to 20% of the popular vote.

In general 'the 1970s' refers more to the perceived malaise afflicting Callaghan's government, not Heath or Wilson's brief second admin - the 1976 IMF bailout and austerity, being picked off by by-elections and hence having to agree to the Lib-Lab pact, going back on it, and then enduring the political instability of minority government, the strikes in 1978/1979, etc. You don't need to feel obliged to defend Callaghan - for a long time the left regarded Callaghan with a degree of fervor akin to how it might regard Blair today.

ok boomers

thanks for the info

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, but Quark and Rom are Ferengi and Ferengi are all ultra-capitalists.

I like Data :)

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Daily Pols running with Swinson kill squirrels story. They showed the lbc interview, and no actual denial. Mind you, no one has pointed out as a lib dem she would just smash next doors greenhouse, kill her cat, and end up with a shine after one of the rocks rebounds into her indignant mug.

e: forkboy, just watch Garak and marvel.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Nice one Lord Ludikrous, you deserve it. First Aid training is always a good thing to do, glad your colleagues are cool dudes.

Angepain posted:

I suppose I'm mainly worried about the point where saying a thing ironically becomes indistinguishable from just saying the thing. like, we don't actually view these people as sex objects but if we did exactly how far away is our posting from the posts we would make

ThomasPaine isn't objectifying Francis Weetman because he loves her and wants to just accidentally find her on a dating app and go for a drink with her and get to know the real Weet

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

https://twitter.com/vosmens/status/1196773200480342016?s=20

shamelessly posting my own tweets

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CoolCab posted:

I think it’s surprisingly less liberal than you might think. iirc quarks actor was the head of the actors union and both the cast and crew were pretty labour sympathetic.

Yeah, it's pretty interesting given the Ferengi are basically a proxy for modern capitalism but the setting is run by what's a communist society in all but name. The Ferengi enforcers end up beating the poo poo out of Quark because they know he's the only one who won't press charges, while if they assaulted any of the workers the Federation and Bajor would come down on them like a ton of bricks.

A later episode even has the same enforcers eventually blacklist Quark in Ferengi society and confiscate all his assets, leaving him with an empty bar stripped of furnishings, only for the whole station to pitch in to restock and resupply his bar to get it right back up and running under a paper-thin veneer of not being charity.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

serious gaylord posted:

lol for further labour context as well

https://twitter.com/SolHughesWriter/status/1196730380457521152?s=20

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Tpaines is generally a good poster which is why it's genuinely disappointing and really loving aggravating that he insists on weet posting even when the thread majority made it clear we don't want it

Edit and now of course I'm contributing to weet posting, so pls no one reply and carry this on

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
also I would argue that quark and ferengi started as a straight capitalists but ds9 pretty credibly argues they’re far more moral. no slavery, no holocaust, no nuclear weapons, no cigarettes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

serious gaylord posted:

Guy who did cover-ups for Vaz quitting because it's only a matter of time before the Vaz team are removed: bad for Corbyn.
Tory candidate suggests Holocaust was fabricated and praises Holocaust denier David Irving: bad for Corbyn.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Any NI people know which is the smarter vote between Alliance/SDLP in Belfast South against the DUP?

I really don't follow local politics as much as I should, I think I'd rather vote Alliance but I'd go SDLP if they have a better chance of winning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Angepain posted:

Yes of course, but here I was 100% mocking myself without actually sexualising anyone else. I do get your point though so I'll tone it down.