Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
HGST and Toshiba are the lowest failure rate drives at the slight cost of running a couple degrees warmer than other drives in their class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

MREBoy posted:

So what's the thread opinion of HGST brand drives ? I need as many TBs as I can get for $200-250ish, up to 4 physical drives. I found brand new 3TB HUS724030ALA640 (0F14689) @ $50 each on newegg, would get 4 of them.

HGST drives are generally really good, as has already been mentioned.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MREBoy posted:

So what's the thread opinion of HGST brand drives ? I need as many TBs as I can get for $200-250ish, up to 4 physical drives. I found brand new 3TB HUS724030ALA640 (0F14689) @ $50 each on newegg, would get 4 of them.

You'll get a better price per TB shucking external drives. Keep an eye out for sales, the 12TB WD Easystore was $180 this weekend, and the 8TBs regularly go on sale for $120-130 so you could get 2 of those instead of 4 3TB and have 4TB more storage.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you're looking at https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16822145894 - those aren't new drives. goHardDrive wipes the SMART data and provides their own warranty. To be fair, they're decent, I've bought some 8TB drives from them and the exchange on a few DOA drives was painless.

For that money, why four drives instead of two 8/10 TB drives, or a single 12TB if you aren't counting any redundancy in there?

Yeah those are the exact drives I was talking about. As to why 4 of these drives, cost is the hard limiter for me in this situation + the device they are going in has 4 bays. The cost of a pair of 8 or 10TBs exceeds budget, as does the cost of a single 12.

e2a: I hadn't really thought about shucking externals, I'll keep that in mind, I'm not in any hurry and Black Friday isn't that far off.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I was fiddling around trying to get https://github.com/haugene/docker-transmission-openvpn working in docker (it can't find peers) , and managed to do this. I wish to revert my stuff back to the way it was before, do I just delete the cluster "delete the host from the cluster"?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

MREBoy posted:

You can get 2x 8 TB WD external drives on Amazon right now for ~$105 each. We posted about them recently over the last page or two, Amazon's running a 15% back if you use a Prime card.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BB has the 8TB easystore for $120 on ebay, their site, and google shopping:
https://slickdeals.net/f/13553686-8tb-wd-easystore-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-120-or-less-free-shipping?src=frontpage
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WD-Easystore-8TB-External-USB-3-0-Hard-Drive-Black/192784859465
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/5792401.p?ref=8575135
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...HYegCCsQ1sEDCGM

Makes me wonder if they'll get even lower over black Friday weekend.

nerox
May 20, 2001

nerox posted:

I put Ombi on my server tonight and the app on my wife's phone and now she can search poo poo herself without asking me to do it. It is pretty fantastic.

Thread Update: This was a terrible idea, my sabnzbd queue is at like 4tb right now. :stare:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nerox posted:

Thread Update: This was a terrible idea, my sabnzbd queue is at like 4tb right now. :stare:

Reasons to have your nzb downloader target a SSD.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I use unraid, so everything happens on a 500gig SSD that gets pushed into the array every morning at 3am or if it gets full.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
RAM disk for downloading/repairing/unpacking is ungodly fast. Just need... lots of RAM!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

nerox posted:

I tried putting ombi on my unraid box and I could not get it to play nice with my radar, sonar, and Plex Dockers. It seemed super inconsistent when adding downloads or syncing content that has been added to my library. Maybe I'll give it another try when I feel like adding some more frustration to my life.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

nerox posted:

I use unraid, so everything happens on a 500gig SSD that gets pushed into the array every morning at 3am or if it gets full.

this is the way to go.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

pzy posted:

RAM disk for downloading/repairing/unpacking is ungodly fast. Just need... lots of RAM!

Love ZFS for this, I just poked around to verify my arc is being used properly and yep - I use a scratch NVMe disk but it basically stays in ram the entire time until I push it to my multimedia pool

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

nerox posted:

This is why I manually approve my Ombi requests.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Gay Retard posted:

This is why I manually approve my Ombi requests.

What's the benefit of that though? I'm not going to tell my wife that I am not going to allow the server to download something. I have settings so that sabnzbd doesn't use most of our bandwith during primetime, its only wide open from like 2am to 6am and 9am to 4pm on weekdays, and new stuff gets added at higher priority than old stuff, so new stuff gets downloaded first. We don't have bandwith caps. It really has no effect on us whatsoever.

Manual approval is just extra work for me, which is what I wanted to avoid.

If other people had access to my server (my upload is poo poo), I would not let them have auto-approval.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Then what's the big deal?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I was tempted to try out ombi but my only viable option would be paying for something like newshosting and I already pay for Netflix et al. If the streaming services really start to fracture more and more and keep jacking up the costs it looks like a good alternative though!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Added more drives to my server and hit a personal milestone:

code:
$ sudo smartctl -i /dev/sdab
smartctl 6.6 2016-05-31 r4324 [x86_64-linux-4.15.0-70-generic] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, [url]www.smartmontools.org[/url]

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
First time I've ever wrapped around past /dev/sdz. :c00lbutt:

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
I am running FreeNAS 11.2 right now. I am using it solely for PLEX at the moment.

I have a RAID-Z2 set (6x4TB) with a single pool and single dataset that I have mostly filled up.

I bought some external disk shelves and more disks, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to move forward.

Internal:
4TB Drives (x6) - RAID-Z2 vDev
400GB SSD (x1) - cache

External:
8TB Drives (x6) - not part of a vDev
4TB Drives (x18) - not part of a vDev

What's my best path forward? Turn the 8TB drives into a RAID-Z2 and add that vDev to the existing pool? Make a bunch of mirror vDevs with the new drives, make a new pool, migrate the data over (what's the best way?), and then add the existing drives into that pool?

Any suggestions or tips appreciated!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

madsushi posted:

I am running FreeNAS 11.2 right now. I am using it solely for PLEX at the moment.

I have a RAID-Z2 set (6x4TB) with a single pool and single dataset that I have mostly filled up.

I bought some external disk shelves and more disks, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to move forward.

Internal:
4TB Drives (x6) - RAID-Z2 vDev
400GB SSD (x1) - cache

External:
8TB Drives (x6) - not part of a vDev
4TB Drives (x18) - not part of a vDev

What's my best path forward? Turn the 8TB drives into a RAID-Z2 and add that vDev to the existing pool? Make a bunch of mirror vDevs with the new drives, make a new pool, migrate the data over (what's the best way?), and then add the existing drives into that pool?

Any suggestions or tips appreciated!
Enable autoexpand on your pool.
Put the 24 drives in 3x 8-disk RAIDz2 vdevs, and each time you buy a new harddrive you replace a 4TB one.
Once all the 4TB disks in a vdev have been replaced, your pool will grow automatically.

EDIT: And if at any point you'd like to stripe data across all disks, simply rename the dataset, create a new dataset with the old name, and mv the data to a new dataset.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 16, 2019

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

IOwnCalculus posted:

Added more drives to my server and hit a personal milestone:

code:
$ sudo smartctl -i /dev/sdab
smartctl 6.6 2016-05-31 r4324 [x86_64-linux-4.15.0-70-generic] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, [url]www.smartmontools.org[/url]

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===

:hellyeah:

edit for content: bought rails for my md3000 and I'm part way through racking my 2u, 8x 3.5" drive box that has the host. Did I mention how loving much I hate racking poo poo? I think my biggest flaw in life is a seeming inability to get things square.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 16, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've only made it up to w. Sometime next year I'll get an external enclosure and shoot past z...and continue to wonder if it's all worth it.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

D. Ebdrup posted:

Put the 24 drives in 3x 8-disk RAIDz2 vdevs, and each time you buy a new harddrive you replace a 4TB one.

Thanks for the post! Are you saying I should make a new pool out of these 3 new 8-disk RAIDz2 vdevs, or should I be able to add these vdevs to my existing pool? I had read mixed information about mixing 6-disk and 8-disk vdevs in the same pool.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

madsushi posted:

Thanks for the post! Are you saying I should make a new pool out of these 3 new 8-disk RAIDz2 vdevs, or should I be able to add these vdevs to my existing pool? I had read mixed information about mixing 6-disk and 8-disk vdevs in the same pool.
Fundemental to the design of ZFS is the idea of pooled storage.
The way I've seen Jeff Bonwick, one of the fathers of ZFS, explain it once is something along the following: If you think about memory at all, you know that when you add more it just sort of appears as if by magic (although it's actually the MMU that's responsible). ZFS is designed to act like that such that when you add storage (in the form of one drive, or more drives if you want some form of redundancy or availability), you can "just" add it.

So what you can end up with is a pool consisting of any number of vdevs (there is a limit, but it's probably not ever going to be hit by anyone, not even companies with the biggest storage arrays) with any kind of mix of drives and in any configuration (striping, though it's not recomended, mirroring, or distributed parity).

About the only thing you can't do with ZFS yet is expand the pool by adding one more drive at a time, but that feature is being developed by Matt Ahrens, the other of the fathers of ZFS.

EDIT: In theory, if you have a pool with one or more vdevs with 8 disks in it, and you add a vdev with only 6 disks, it'll slightly decrease your bandwidth - but unless you're doing +10G networking for your NAS, that won't impact you in any meaningful way.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Welp, found out for sure Thursday morning at 4:10 exactly *which* of the drives in my NAS was failing :v: All previous deep scans had come up fine, but one seemed to be making some noises.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Gentlemen, I am the proud owner of a new Unraid system! I am running dual Xeon E5-2690v3s with 128GB of RAM and currently doing my first parity sync. Right now I have only 4x 3TB WD Reds in there, along with a couple SSDs for cache.

What I would like to do is migrate over some other 3TB Reds from a 5-bay Synology and put in some shucked 8TBs to replace those drives. The Synology with the 3TB Reds is actually a secondary/backup to my "main" NAS which will not be touched.

So my question is whether this order of operations is safe:

1) Pull the 5x 3TB Reds from secondary Synology NAS marking their order and setting aside.
2) Insert the 5x 8TB drives and re-setup the Synology NAS.
3) Re-backup data from primary Synology NAS to secondary Synology NAS with the new 8TB drives via HyperBackup.
4) Once HyperBackup success is confirmed, put the remaining 5x 3TB Reds into the Unraid system.
5) Maintain other backups including off-site HDD and cloud, and the primary NAS of course.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Maybe I'm dumb, but what on earth is a parity sync? Distributed parity, whether done via XOR or Reed-Solomon encoding, calculates the parity as soon as the data is written to the array, so how can a sync be needed?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

D. Ebdrup posted:

Maybe I'm dumb, but what on earth is a parity sync? Distributed parity, whether done via XOR or Reed-Solomon encoding, calculates the parity as soon as the data is written to the array, so how can a sync be needed?

Not sure, that's just what it said when I assigned two drives to the pool and two as parity: Parity-Sync/Data-Rebuild in progress.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

D. Ebdrup posted:

UnRAID has a weird Raid4 thing. I don't know anything else about this besides it Just Works

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Smashing Link posted:

What I would like to do is migrate over some other 3TB Reds from a 5-bay Synology and put in some shucked 8TBs to replace those drives. The Synology with the 3TB Reds is actually a secondary/backup to my "main" NAS which will not be touched. .

My only other thought would be to insert two of the three 8tb drives into the empty bays of the 5bay Synology, somehow shift the 12tb of data across to the newly available 16tb, then remove the 3TB drives?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

UnRAID has a weird Raid4 thing. I don't know anything else about this besides it Just Works
Oh right, I think we've talked about this before now that you mention it.
Stupid chemobrain.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
It looks like UnRaid uses a LVM version of RAID 4, as it is able to use disks of different sizes. Source: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/unraid-ultimate-home-nas/

Looks like it was designed for performance and keeping only 2 disks in a raid spinning instead of all of them with Raid 5 and Raid 6.

As for a Synology Raid resync, it is basically rebuilding the parity table across all drives and data scrubbing, or using the parity table to rebuild the data on one drive.

The thing you might want to try is rebuilding the RAID one disk at a time. If you are seriously concerned about data loss. It takes hours per disk, but it will keep the existing RAID working.

So the process would go like this:
Remove one 3 tb drive, and replace it with a 8.
Repair Storage pool.
Once it has rebuilt the disk using the parity table go on to the next disk.
Repeat until done.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/StorageManager/storage_pool_expand_replace_disk

The process you described will just require you to restore a backup configuration and setup everything again.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Axe-man posted:

It looks like UnRaid uses a LVM version of RAID 4, as it is able to use disks of different sizes. Source: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/unraid-ultimate-home-nas/

Looks like it was designed for performance and keeping only 2 disks in a raid spinning instead of all of them with Raid 5 and Raid 6.

As for a Synology Raid resync, it is basically rebuilding the parity table across all drives and data scrubbing, or using the parity table to rebuild the data on one drive.

The thing you might want to try is rebuilding the RAID one disk at a time. If you are seriously concerned about data loss. It takes hours per disk, but it will keep the existing RAID working.

Repair Storage pool.
Repeat until done.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/StorageManager/storage_pool_expand_replace_disk

The process you described will just require you to restore a backup configuration and setup everything again.

That was the 2nd option I was considering but I wasn't sure if re-striping the RAID x5 disks would end up taking more time.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Axe-man posted:

Repair Storage pool.
Repeat until done.

That seems like a lot of work compared to run ZFS which does checksumming and can scrub the whole array with a single command (and can do it sequentially, speeding it up immensely).

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Synology uses either a highly modded Btrfs or ext4 for the file, system, but even more so, it adds a layer of abstraction between the file system and the RAID:

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Storage/What_was_the_RAID_implementation_for_Btrfs_File_System_on_SynologyNAS

I'm pretty sure that is the real reason why it takes so long to do what it is trying to do.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I don't understand why people trust BTRFS when they pulled the stunt of claiming it was production ready without testing it, then discovering that they hosed up the XOR for RAID5 after people had started using it in production.
You don't get the other benefits of BTRFS without using it directly, as far as I'm aware.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Synology likes to reinvent the wheel. So they would only really want to use zfs if they could edit it to do what they want or attach a module of theirs to it. This is a good and bad thing.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I think I posted about this before but I solidified my thoughts a bit.

I have a 4 year old NAS with a quad core Xeon and 32 gigs running Proxmox hosting ~100TB of ZFS/Z1 over two arrays. From profiling the system I'm heavily memory bound and would like to go from 32 to 128 gigs. I'm thinking of switching to AMD from Intel for the performance/$ ratio.

Originally I was thinking of upgrading to a 3900 but I haven't found a motherboard that ticked enough boxes of IPMI, 10GB ethernet, 128GB max memory etc...

So now I'm thinking of keeping the Xeon and just adding a dual 10GB NIC to it, then building a dedicated Docker/VM host.

I think this is getting out of the realm of NAS questions and more into Homelab, but looking for advice on what's going to be a good choice for hardware for any Newegg black friday deals. I don't know what a good case would be anymore that doesn't have room for 10+ drives!

Or should I be thinking about keeping it in one box for power / space consideration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I'm trying to make an online storage solution, I just want to be able to have a central hard drive I can access from anywhere that will sync with windows file structure similar to dropbox or google, but not on those platforms. I dont want to be paying subscription fees to those people in perpetuity so I can have ~1 tb hard drive to access.

The filesizes would be what you might see on like, average joes cell phone photos and a minute or 2 long videos, meme folder type poo poo. Wont be using endless terabytes etc. Basically just want to virtually carry an external HD. Preferably accessable from windows/android/ios

I don't need huge speeds either, I'm sure whatever connection I have will be fine, its good enough to remotely stream plex to myself. As far as hardware, I'd probably be running this on the same thing that runs my plex server which is an amd 2600x / 16gb/w10

this computer is hooked up to a TV and sometimes does gaming etc so i'd prfer if my solution didn't require switching OS to linux, altho if it runs in a lightweight enough environment i can probs find a way to make it work. if it could be setup to run in a VM alongside everything else im already doing thats fine too i have enough experience stumbling through that stuff to probably make that work too.

I'm not really sure what else to provide for info or what angles to look at to ask for help better. I'm looking at seafile and I've done some googling but I was hoping to get some input based on my actual use case and the hardware etc. I'm sure somebody here has seen this and has an idea or my situation may even be cookie cutter idk

thank you