Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
https://twitter.com/lamppostlikka/status/1196778574386216963?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Xander77 posted:

I don't want to do better, I want to do worse find something even more terrible.

How come your Harry has not just one, but two portraits that aren't my Harry's portrait ? Do you have to win at drugs against the mirror to change that ?

ETA : ain't that a surreal sentence to loving write.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Kobal2 posted:

How come your Harry has not just one, but two portraits that aren't my Harry's portrait ? Do you have to win at drugs against the mirror to change that ?

ETA : ain't that a surreal sentence to loving write.

There's five possible portraits:

1. Don't wipe off the mirror
2. Wipe off the mirror
3. Win the Electro chemistry check to remove The Expression
4. Shave
5. Both 3 and 4

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Man, is Dora's voice perfect for what vibe she is supposed to be capturing, or what? God drat.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

chaosapiant posted:

Maybe he just knows where she’ll be because she has habits, and instead pretended like he set it up himself?

if you talk to titus after you get your gun back, you learn that the hardie boys actually know about her and do their best to keep her from winding up completely dead in a gutter. she was basically the neighborhood mom to all of the kids back in the day (the kids that will grow up to be titus and his crew) and although she got dealt a few lovely cards, they do their best to care for her because she looked out for them when they were small. :unsmith:

so it's entirely likely evrart just tells titus to go round her up once he decides to pay you back

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Freaking Crumbum posted:

if you talk to titus after you get your gun back, you learn that the hardie boys actually know about her and do their best to keep her from winding up completely dead in a gutter. she was basically the neighborhood mom to all of the kids back in the day (the kids that will grow up to be titus and his crew) and although she got dealt a few lovely cards, they do their best to care for her because she looked out for them when they were small. :unsmith:

so it's entirely likely evrart just tells titus to go round her up once he decides to pay you back

Except when you go to Titus he had no idea she was out there doing weird poo poo. So not sure that's related. I just assumed it's something that's not explicitly said anywhere so it can be ambiguous, and my head canon is that Evrart knows she likes to standing around screaming where she does on a certain date and time.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Arrhythmia posted:

There's five possible portraits:

1. Don't look in the mirror
2. Look in the mirror
3. Win the Electro chemistry check to remove The Expression
4. Shave
5. Both 3 and 4

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
[Disco Elysium] "He smiles a smile only you can see." by @claystorks

Also, because gently caress goons lol:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

My current run has a dude with relatively high Physical Instrument and Endurance. It's cute whenever a task or dialogue choice requires me to wait somewhere, and one or both will pipe in with "gently caress that, we got poo poo to do!"

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

How does one shave? I've recovered my badge, and I have to say, young Harrier looked pretty good without the muttton-chops.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Ersatz posted:

How does one shave? I've recovered my badge, and I have to say, young Harrier looked pretty good without the muttton-chops.
In the shack by the boardwalk there's a shaving kit. I didn't shave, but I did Electrochemistry away The Expression, and I miss that rictus grin, I made Harry so much more manic feeling. Now he seems so serious.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Titus mentions Evart having his B team looking for something. The Debardiers are mentioned to have just under 3000 dues paying members in Martinaise so someone probably was looking.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The site is currently down, but DE got four nominations in The Game Awards apparently and I think you can vote for them?

https://thegameawards.com/nominees

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

something about fascists refusing to look themselves in the mirror is super appropriate

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megazver posted:

The site is currently down, but DE got four nominations in The Game Awards apparently and I think you can vote for them?

https://thegameawards.com/nominees

Site is up. Voted for Control where I couldn't vote for DE. (You should play Control, if you haven't yet.)

EDIT: And you can vote with your Google account as well: https://www.google.com/search?q=TGA+vote

Megazver fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 19, 2019

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

cock hero flux posted:

yes, you can go completely nuclear and then smash the payphone when she hangs up on you

I think I tried that one and it wasn't really nuclear, just impotently resentful. I was thinking he'd say something like "Does he have the money I didn't? Did you pour lies into his ear too? Are you going to kill his kids like you did mine? Do it and kill yourself next you oval office. Then burn in hell." *click*

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Xander77 posted:

I'm currently writing a list of good cop / bad cop points (though honestly, you only need -5 points for the "bad cop" achievement and 10 points for the "good cop" one, so at this point I'm mostly moved by morbid curiosity).

oh drat that was you? I used that list to help my playthrough. thank you

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Xander77 posted:

I didn't even notice that the game actually has a picture of Contact Mike (confirmed by a thought circle):

One of the many things I like about this game is that it lets you have running gags. Contact Mike and his constant irrelevance was great stuff.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Megazver posted:

Site is up. Voted for Control where I couldn't vote for DE. (You should play Control, if you haven't yet.)

EDIT: And you can vote with your Google account as well: https://www.google.com/search?q=TGA+vote

I voted for this in the four categories and think it's totes BS that this isn't also in the music and GOTY categories. Cuz it is.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I love this game but I did not like the ending I wanted a true ending everything had been building to a grand climax I half expected the world to end. Instead it felt like the game was unfinished. I was fully expecting to go to jamrock.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ya'll are crazy. The ending was perfect and wrapped up everything this game was about. it was emotional, moving, and took your actions and choices into account. I haven't seen a game stick the landing on the ending this good since...probably The Witcher 3 now that I think of it.

Edit: Dreamfall Chapters had a very good ending too I think.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think the ending was wise insofar as it kept the game squarely framed around the case and didn't let the plot get bloated, unfocused, or otherwise overstay its welcome. Obviously and understandably we all want more, but that's far from the worst way to feel at the end of an RPG

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

DropsySufferer posted:

I love this game but I did not like the ending I wanted a true ending everything had been building to a grand climax I half expected the world to end. Instead it felt like the game was unfinished. I was fully expecting to go to jamrock.

the world is constantly ending

it's a good ending.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I actually think it's brilliant for the ending to have nothing to do with the potential end of the world or the encroaching Pale. You have to continue to exist and continue to act, after all. Regardless of potentially oncoming annihilation.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think the ending was wise insofar as it kept the game squarely framed around the case and didn't let the plot get bloated, unfocused, or otherwise overstay its welcome. Obviously and understandably we all want more, but that's far from the worst way to feel at the end of an RPG

Not just that, but nothing about it seemed rushed. You have a LONG conversation with the entities at the end and then the convo with your homeboys. It was really well written and very good.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
DE's ending is similar to Firewatch's in that they both have strong thematic endings that go against the usually big bombastic climaxes video games tend to do.

Both games also have their antagonists be shell shocked old hermits that act as a dark mirror to the protagonists

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

chaosapiant posted:

I voted for this in the four categories and think it's totes BS that this isn't also in the music and GOTY categories. Cuz it is.

it's video game awards, the only people who care enough about that poo poo to actually dedicate their time to it are not the best and brightest

OW gonna win goty lol

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Wheeee posted:

it's video game awards, the only people who care enough about that poo poo to actually dedicate their time to it are not the best and brightest

OW gonna win goty lol

I know, but who doesn't want to see Disco crush all comers at this point? I sure do!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Wheeee posted:

OW gonna win goty lol
Geoff Keighley ain't going to deny Kojima GOTY.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It can't be worse than WoW Classic winning Golden Joysticks.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fangz posted:

It can't be worse than WoW Classic winning Golden Joysticks.

That is so stupid. You can't even play the loving game with a joystick!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I'm surprised that DE got any nominations, much less multiple. I guess the word is out among critics at this point.

I really want ZA/UM to win the Fresh Indie Game Presented by Subway award, though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Begemot posted:

I'm surprised that DE got any nominations, much less multiple. I guess the word is out among critics at this point.

I really want ZA/UM to win the Fresh Indie Game Presented by Subway award, though.

I had Subway just last week. The girl behind the counter had a bit of marinara plop on the same paper that my sub was being wrapped in. Instead of moving my sub to a new piece of paper, she just rolled the sub into it so the sauce was on the bread, then took her fingers and smooshed it in.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Begemot posted:

The nominations, at least, were picked by game journos from around the world. And DE is kinda a thing among game journos at the moment.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

chaosapiant posted:

Man, is Dora's voice perfect for what vibe she is supposed to be capturing, or what? God drat.

I actually lovelovelove the weary hipster ennui of Klaaje's voice, its some politics podcast lady

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 19, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

chaosapiant posted:

Not just that, but nothing about it seemed rushed. You have a LONG conversation with the entities at the end and then the convo with your homeboys. It was really well written and very good.

I wanted to talk to Lena, but I also think the conversation I have in my head with her is nearly as good. It was a good ending, or rather it was a good place to stop.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

sebmojo posted:

I actually lovelovelove the weary hipster ennui of Klaaje's voice, its some politics podcast lady

She sounds so small and pretty. And I think that's exactly what Harry hears when he talks to her. If she sounded like Fran Drescher it wouldn't have had the same emotional impact.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Extremely proud of ZA/UM for being nominated for this prestigious award

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

chaosapiant posted:

I've put about the 20 hours into Outer Worlds and it is an irredeemable piece of poo poo on it's own, *before* anyone dares compare it to this masterpiece. It offends me that it is showing up on GOTY lists. It literally feels like Fallout 3 in gameplay, graphics and writing. Literally no improvements from an 11 year old game. Yeah I'm mad. Anyway I quit playing that to pick this up and never looked back.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Extremely proud of ZA/UM for being nominated for this prestigious award

That feels extremely in flavor for this game. Like if this game were to use any in-game real world advertising, like how Final Fantasy 15 used Cup Noodles and American Express, this game should have you picking up cans on the ground to get a delicious meatball footlong.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Zero VGS posted:

I've put about the 20 hours into Outer Worlds and it is an irredeemable piece of poo poo on it's own, *before* anyone dares compare it to this masterpiece. It offends me that it is showing up on GOTY lists. It literally feels like Fallout 3 in gameplay, graphics and writing. Literally no improvements from an 11 year old game. Yeah I'm mad. Anyway I quit playing that to pick this up and never looked back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LULNZxZ-QG8