Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
If you beeline the main quest I think you eventually get the upgrade on Kashyyyk, so I'm guessing they initially intended it to be a secret but decided later to make sure players get access to it regardless.

Speaking of sequence breaks, I wonder how many people like me managed to "solve" the Tomb of Miktrull puzzle by sneaking in a lantern through the hole in the lower wall instead of using the force magnets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Oh yeah don't get the full force with stim use upgrade unless you want to completely break the game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Promethium posted:

Speaking of sequence breaks, I wonder how many people like me managed to "solve" the Tomb of Miktrull puzzle by sneaking in a lantern through the hole in the lower wall instead of using the force magnets

No but not for lack of trying. I also reverse sequence broke the first one by accidentally wandering far enough forward to get force push before I found my way back and just manually rolled the ball into place.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm missing two Bogano lore (unfortunately I don't know if Cordova entries are still here too) -- anyone happen to know where I can find Bogling Studies 4 and The Reasearcher 11?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i think the game needs a new game+ mode.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah it does, but the devs said they couldn't due to the structure of the world. I think it's probably more that they had to get the game finished, so maybe one day.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Really enjoying this so far. Currently on Zeffo, and I'm finally getting the hang of the combat and feeling pretty badass taking down stormtrooper squads. Cal is growing on me. He's still bland as gently caress looking but I like his interactions with BD.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

turned down the difficulty to jedi knight because that final boss is some bullshit. got it in 2 tries after that.

Promethium posted:

If you beeline the main quest I think you eventually get the upgrade on Kashyyyk, so I'm guessing they initially intended it to be a secret but decided later to make sure players get access to it regardless.

wait, that's how you're supposed to solve it? with the force magnets that move the block? gently caress me, I spent forever on that until I pushed a lantern up in the air, froze it, jumped down, then force pulled it before it fell on the ground.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Finally finished it, and man... that ending. :stare:

Was a wild ride all the way through. gently caress the haters, I loved it. It's in my top 5 SW games list at this point. It wasn't the same kind of game as Jedi Knight, but that's okay, it still scratched a lot of those same itches.

Hope it sold well enough to warrant Respawn getting to do more with the license. That was great.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I appreciate that just after encountering the flora of the Shadowlands you get to fight stormtroopers all standing just a push or pull away from the plants.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

JBP posted:

Yeah it does, but the devs said they couldn't due to the structure of the world. I think it's probably more that they had to get the game finished, so maybe one day.

i could see them possibly being able to pull it off. the big issue i have is the game doesn't seem to encourage that much replayibility. outside cosmetic poo poo, your not missing anything and plus the baddies respawn in the same way every time so its not variety.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ash1138 posted:

turned down the difficulty to jedi knight because that final boss is some bullshit. got it in 2 tries after that.
wait, that's how you're supposed to solve it? with the force magnets that move the block? gently caress me, I spent forever on that until I pushed a lantern up in the air, froze it, jumped down, then force pulled it before it fell on the ground.

Based on the clues you’re supposed to turn on gravity, throw the lantern in the general direction of the gravity thing so it sticks then run back to that side, grab it and throw it at the vines.

The “secret” next to it felt kinda weird i believe the intended solution is to close the gate, toss the lantern throw the gap way above the gate and then open it again? That throw was really janky

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I stood in the open upper door and grabbed a lantern. There are some janky throw ones, though. That one you have to make long distance from the bridge probably took me 10 drat tries and I swear I probably hit it like half those times and the fire just wouldn’t start.

The double bladed saber has some incidental uses (repeating blaster trooper, critter mobs) before Dathomir, but man basically every enemy on Dathomir is better killed with the double blade. Nightbrothers can be interrupted with a quick jab, mobs are very vulnerable to the spin attack, I even found the miniboss somewhat easier with it. Probably because the heavy attack seems to do more damage.

NG+ chat: I don’t think I’ll be able to replay the game until I lose my skill memory of it because I would be pissed as hell to lose all my combat moves. Also the lightsaber damage enhancement makes the scrub enemies less time-consuming.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 19, 2019

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I just want challenge rooms where I face ever increasing waves of stormtroopers and never see a bug again.

Edit: seriously, I'd pay for a dlc add on that just gave me this.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Based on the clues you’re supposed to turn on gravity, throw the lantern in the general direction of the gravity thing so it sticks then run back to that side, grab it and throw it at the vines.

The “secret” next to it felt kinda weird i believe the intended solution is to close the gate, toss the lantern throw the gap way above the gate and then open it again? That throw was really janky

oh man, those brambles were makin mad at points. let me cut through them, theyre very flammable and i have a portable sun in my hands damnit :argh:

damnit, of course that was the intended solution. managed to brute force it by grabbin a lantern from the meditation room. that secret also felt janky. i was able to beat it by clipping onto the large branch thats right next to the climbable vines and just sprinting and jumping onto the area.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

oh man, those brambles were makin mad at points. let me cut through them, theyre very flammable and i have a portable sun in my hands damnit :argh:

Particularly since you later fight an enemy who can do just that. I couldn't find a way to those various vines and assumed I'd get a flamethrower for BD-1.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gotta join in on the love that at the true endboss you don't fight Vader, you survive him. Up there with the Rebels sequences in showing how terrifyingly relentless he is when he's not dealing with his kid.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Are the rebels and other animated shows good? I've got a free sub to Disney+ for a couple of months.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been burned the gently caress out on Star Wars for a long while and frankly this game is great. Casual Soulslike with a solid protagonist and entertaining combat that lets you feel like a lightsaber badass is fantastic.

Cameron Monaghan made a name for himself as Joker on Gotham and it made sense to cast him as Not-Luke for this game, he does a really solid young Mark Hamill impression. Debra Wilson is superb too and BD-1 really comes into his own.

That opening level on the junkyard planet was really awesome just for the sheer spectacle of it all. I think they manage a solid balance, even if everything isn't perfect. Going from good bird to evil bird was a nice mirror. Taking the prequel bullshit of Order 66 and making something actually emotionally touching with it was really not something I was expecting, but this is the best Star Wars story told in a very long while.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 19, 2019

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Watched a guy spend over an hour on the last boss on Jedi Master lol.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

JBP posted:

Are the rebels and other animated shows good? I've got a free sub to Disney+ for a couple of months.

Very.

Clone Wars isn't quite required viewing for Rebels, but you will get a LOT more out of it if you watch the Clone Wars movie and then the CGI cartoon afterward. Plus, most of the Clone Wars cartoon is excellent, to boot.

The Empire era Star Wars stuff is honestly the only good Star Wars stuff coming out from Disney thus far, Mandalorian excluded.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
After sitting with it the last few days, my chief complaint about Grandmaster is that due to the way the game is balanced, you can’t realistically hit enemies often enough to refill your force meter to the same degree that you can in the other 3 difficulties, but the incoming/outgoing damage values in Grandmaster mean that Force powers are the only way to beat certain fights.

This means that in practice you’re absolutely forced, by design, to run circles around your enemies, spamming dodge and trying to get a hit in here or there or god willing Perfect Dodge to recoup some mana and keep fighting. Turning it down to Master from Grandmaster I couldn’t believe how much faster my force meter recharged and how much more stuff I could do in every fight.

The combat in this game is SOOOO close to being really good but playing on Grandmaster literally forces you to play the game in a way it wasn’t designed to be played and that sucks really bad. You can’t offer me an extreme challenge and then say “it’s not that the enemies are challenging, it’s that you are extremely handicapped and can’t use any of your cool powers” because the lightsaber combat and parry system A) aren’t deep enough to support it and B) parrying and dodging do not work on the giant animal mini-bosses because they’re so aggressive and often come in pairs.

It’s frustrating but I tried. I eventually gave up on Grandmaster completely due to a bug with the final boss of Dathomir. The boss is so big and takes up so much screen that getting within range of it for lightsaber damage would cause the camera to literally clip inside its giant model, meaning that if I was close enough to damage it, it basically became invisible and I couldn’t see any tells and so it was just a giant, invisible monster spamming AoE attacks. I tried about 10 times, getting one shot by attacks I literally cannot see happening, before I just said nuts to this and turned it down.

The absolute most frustrating thing about this game is that the bones of a truly good game are here, I’m not sure you’d need more than a balance patch to make the combat extremely tight and responsive, but it’s juuuuuust short of realizing its goals.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

That's not the final boss on Dathomir. The actual final boss is a bitch, though, because it is just loving relentless in the final phase.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Stop playing on Grand Master and just play on Jedi Master. It's the perfect Sekiro-Lite experience.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Fuzz posted:

Very.

Clone Wars isn't quite required viewing for Rebels, but you will get a LOT more out of it if you watch the Clone Wars movie and then the CGI cartoon afterward. Plus, most of the Clone Wars cartoon is excellent, to boot.

The Empire era Star Wars stuff is honestly the only good Star Wars stuff coming out from Disney thus far, Mandalorian excluded.

Cool thanks. I was never sure if it was worth Adult Time but a lot of people refer to them and I like cartoons so I'll give them a crack.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Fuzz posted:

Stop playing on Grand Master and just play on Jedi Master. It's the perfect Sekiro-Lite experience.

LoL no it isn’t not remotely. There isn’t a single boss fight in this game that comes close to that experience. Parrying in this game is basically optional, and even on Jedi Master it’s just slower and generates less force than just swapping to DBL and killing everything without having to block or dodge.

Also notice how in Sekiro enemies stagger meter is a finite resource that you can whittle away over time, in this game enemies can just fully reset their stamina with certain moves which means that unless you perfect parry their entire combo it’s a waste of time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Play on grand master and face adversity, imo.

Sekiro takes big Japanese shits on this game, but face pain. Grow strong.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL no it isn’t not remotely. There isn’t a single boss fight in this game that comes close to that experience. Parrying in this game is basically optional, and even on Jedi Master it’s just slower and generates less force than just swapping to DBL and killing everything without having to block or dodge.

Also notice how in Sekiro enemies stagger meter is a finite resource that you can whittle away over time, in this game enemies can just fully reset their stamina with certain moves which means that unless you perfect parry their entire combo it’s a waste of time.

What part of Lite was lost on you?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok I mean if any game with a Parry mechanic is a Sekiro-lite then sure

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I subbed to Origin Access Premium for a month so I can play this. Have been enjoying this so far, but am still pretty early going. It does have more depth to it than i expected, but not much.

laser sword is fun. robot is cute.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress this game, the ending loving blows rear end and is entirely unfun to play, loving refund this and go play a mod for Jedi Academy instead. Goddamn I was so loving excited and instead it ended on a wet loving fart. Booooo!!!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I've flown in my ship about 5 times to 3 different planets. I talked to the four arm pilot guy about 3 times. After I left the prison planet he had this really heartfelt conversation with me about how he can care again. It felt like an uber driver I just met opening up to me.

I notice video games are doing that a lot lately, just straight up telling strangers they mean the world to them for no real in world reason. The Outer Worlds did that a lot with your companion. You'd go get them an item from a shop as their companion quest and they would love you as a god forever.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

AxeManiac posted:

I've flown in my ship about 5 times to 3 different planets. I talked to the four arm pilot guy about 3 times. After I left the prison planet he had this really heartfelt conversation with me about how he can care again. It felt like an uber driver I just met opening up to me.

I notice video games are doing that a lot lately, just straight up telling strangers they mean the world to them for no real in world reason. The Outer Worlds did that a lot with your companion. You'd go get them an item from a shop as their companion quest and they would love you as a god forever.

This game desperately needed your 'companions' to actually do stuff with you outside of the ship even if it was just more of what we got in the final level with Cere.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

AxeManiac posted:

i thought that moment was really weird too. felt like something got cut or i had missed some conversations.

like ok greez i like you too but uhh we don’t know each other that well

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

AxeManiac posted:

Something like 20% of millennials do not have a single friend. Society is utterly atomized and games are power fantasies, so they'll adapt the fantasy to whatever the audience needs.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Something like 20% of millennials do not have a single friend. Society is utterly atomized and games are power fantasies, so they'll adapt the fantasy to whatever the audience needs.

20% of millennials subscribe to Twitch streamers?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Mandrel posted:

i thought that moment was really weird too. felt like something got cut or i had missed some conversations.

like ok greez i like you too but uhh we don’t know each other that well
pretty much the same issues I had with gow3 I have with this game (story often feels disjointed, certain set pieces fall flat, supporting characters are basically footnotes, combat and animations needed more work, etc)

wasn't surprising that the same guy directed both games

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

PunkBoy posted:

Really enjoying this so far. Currently on Zeffo, and I'm finally getting the hang of the combat and feeling pretty badass taking down stormtrooper squads. Cal is growing on me. He's still bland as gently caress looking but I like his interactions with BD.

I like to pretend he's a :spergin: queer like his character in shameless and it makes cal much more palatable.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Please source your quotes

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Gyshall posted:

Please source your quotes

That statement is nothing to get aggressive and lovely about.

Here's the study btw

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2019/8/1/20750047/millennials-poll-loneliness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah, even without the study I did not find that statement hard to believe.

The world's getting weird, yo. And it ain't slowing down.