Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
"Now I have your transcripts. Ho ho ho."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ratcliffe is too dumb to understand the idea of changing language based on emergent facts.

"The word bribery doesn't appear when I word search, clearly this wasn't bribery" :downs:

More magic words bullshit.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

We are back to the "specific word didn't get used therefore impeachment over" stage.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

DebtBeat posted:

It's literally a Russian disinformation campaign. Kremlin -> Konstantin Kilimnik -> John Solomon -> Rudy Giuliani and right-wing conspiracy-theory media -> Trump

They originated the false narrative that Ukraine, not Russia, interfered in the 2016 elections, the DNC hack originated from Ukraine, and the servers are physically there.

I know the entire thing is bananas, but how could anyone believe that Hillary Clinton, who had a private server in her basement, that the server was in loving Ukraine!? Why would she even do that!? It is insane.

edit: Oh poo poo. Ratcliffe has papers!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mr. Rat: "How come no one ever asks non-lawyer witnesses for their legal judgment about whether this conduct is technically a crime?"

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Oh Ratcliffe no

You dumb motherfucker

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
Uh I pressed CTRL-F and didn't see that word at all.

Checkmate.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
There's no way that Ratcliffe read any of those 3500 pages

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Your honor, none of these witnesses have actually said homicide, they all just said killed, so this whole trial is bullshit.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
"It's not technically bribery" is the defense they're going with?

DebtBeat
Oct 17, 2016
it depends on what the definition of "is" is

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ReidRansom posted:

Your honor, none of these witnesses have actually said homicide, they all just said killed, so this whole trial is bullshit.

now ah'm just a simple country lawyer but it strikes me that "quid pro quo" and "bribery" are different words

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DebtBeat posted:

Ratcliffe: wow way to move the goalposts Dems, first you said quid pro quo, then extortion, now bribery :shepface:

as you know, the president is too stupid to commit multiple crimes at once

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Dave Grool posted:

"It's not technically bribery" is the defense they're going with?

It's so much worse than that. It's: fact witnesses that shouldn't be making criminal judgments have never done so therefore no crime was committed.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
"why do the crimes the president commits keep changing" gee i dunno

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

saying bribery a hundred times is a great way to get the public to... not think it's bribery

DebtBeat
Oct 17, 2016
what even are synonyms, anyway?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah and you'll know when the articles get voted on, you dingus.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I can't decide how much of the logical fallacies these guys believe. Like, are they just using this as a defense bc they know their chud constituents will hook on, or do they actually thing this is a legitimate defense? 'The words changed!' is some YouTube comment-level debate.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
every time they claim trump isn't allowed to defend himself someone should mention that he is free to testify

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Quid pro quo, extortion, or bribery don't really have a real world difference. Legally, I guess. I'm not a lawyer, but everyone is talking about the same loving thing.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

R Congressman learns how to use CTRL+F. Very proud.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc
I hate hearing "quid pro quo" now, especially since most of the fucks who keep repeating it don't know what it means. Extortion and bribery paint the picture much better.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Strange Poon posted:

every time they claim trump isn't allowed to defend himself someone should mention that he is free to testify

I forget who said it last week but yes they should do it again.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AhhYes posted:

It's so much worse than that. It's: fact witnesses that shouldn't be making criminal judgments have never done so therefore no crime was committed.

in fact, a fact witness testifying to that effect would have their testimony objected to, and properly so. the decision about if the facts established constitute a crime is a question for the judge and jury, not the witness and a witness (even an expert witness) may not opine on it

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

I hate hearing "quid pro quo" now, especially since most of the fucks who keep repeating it don't know what it means. Extortion and bribery paint the picture much better.

Quid pro quo is just something Q taunted Jean-Luc about on the Star Treks

Agreed that it needs more official/damning words or it's too abstract for folks

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Strange Poon posted:

he need not even testify, if he merely cooperated he would be allowed counsel present at this hearing with the right to cross-examine these witnesses

... but he has to cooperate with document requests

DebtBeat
Oct 17, 2016

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

Don't forget that Vindman explicitly characterized the "favors" in the July 25th call as actually being demands because of the power difference between the US and Ukraine and how badly Ukraine needed the aid and WH meeting

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Everyone knows that if you don't say the word bribery it's not a bribe.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I can't decide how much of the logical fallacies these guys believe. Like, are they just using this as a defense bc they know their chud constituents will hook on, or do they actually thing this is a legitimate defense? 'The words changed!' is some YouTube comment-level debate.

This is literally all they have. I think they're doing the best they can with what they have. Like can you even imagine trying to defend Donald Trump in a congressional impeachment hearing? And also you're kinda stupid. What can you do?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
That's not what he read into the record you loving idiot.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

StrangersInTheNight posted:

whose constituents do you think are leaving those youtube comments

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Noted. (sad face)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

If viewed in a vacuum I would not want to be the guy who doesn't know the difference between a draft and the final version read into a record.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Vindman has a REALLY good lawyer. He has been prepared for almost every GOP talking point they throw at him.

DebtBeat
Oct 17, 2016
You've never met Giuliani or Trump in person so how do you know anything about their crimes??

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"You never spoke to the President so how can you advise him" :downs:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

you're not the president's boss, are you sir? ARE YOU SIR

DebtBeat
Oct 17, 2016
You're merely the guy that heads coordination of US-Ukraine policy, what do you even know??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Schiff: "Great, I gotta now define bribery and quid pro quo for the people, see what you made me do, Ratcliffe?"