Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
but am i *really* bisexual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

can we get a gang tag of this

think you can just upload it to SA via their image hosting then link to it, on mobile or I would

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

animist posted:

but am i *really* bisexual

idk, are you? labels don’t rly capture the nuance of it, just do whatever

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
just remembered i was going to ask you fine folks if you had any advice for a poc who needs her face hairs lasered off. any suggestions?

also:

:allears:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Everything about this owns

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Zamujasa posted:

just remembered i was going to ask you fine folks if you had any advice for a poc who needs her face hairs lasered off. any suggestions?

also:

:allears:

electrolysis is really the only option for dark skin.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

OldAlias posted:

think you can just upload it to SA via their image hosting then link to it, on mobile or I would

It won't work if it's an attachment.

You need a mod (graph) to do it. Yospos isn't my jurisdiction.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

jit bull transpile posted:

I thought the longer wavelength setting of Nd:YAG systems worked for dark skin tones, although it isn't able to deliver as much energy to the follicles so it isn't as effective per treatment as other lasers.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

OldAlias posted:

You can buy it as an avatar, it'll get uploaded to the server and can then be used in img tags in anyone's title text. Downside is you have to buy a new av twice.

Or just ask an admin or mod nicely.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

thanks. it looks like it runs about $50-100 a session, though how many sessions she would need is an unknown.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Zamujasa posted:

thanks. it looks like it runs about $50-100 a session, though how many sessions she would need is an unknown.

it's many many hours. I think to clear my chest was about 25 hours? Ms Twiggy is currently doing her face so she might have better insight on the time commitment for face electro.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
that sounds like it gets up to the thousands-of-dollars range, oof.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Zamujasa posted:

that sounds like it gets up to the thousands-of-dollars range, oof.

yeah. my insurance covers it or I couldn't do it. laser costs that much too though. the package I bought to clear my face was 9 sessions for 2500 bucks. and I'm pale af and had dark facial hair and I'm still doing electrolysis to pick off stragglers the laser didn't get.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I chickened out of my last electrolysis appointment and have been procrastinating on scheduling another one because I am really embarrassed about it and I kinda just want to get knocked the gently caress out for it

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i am not looking forward to when i need to switch to electrolysis to knock out the grey facial hairs i have. i’ve been tolerating the pain of laser surprisingly well so far though

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

I started going gray at 19 so yah :cry:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

can we get a gang tag of this

yep

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

iospace posted:

It won't work if it's an attachment.

You need a mod (graph) to do it. Yospos isn't my jurisdiction.

nah you just need somebody to buy it as an avatar. I did the needful

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Achmed Jones posted:

Yeah, but the mod way is cheaper :v:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

🙏

minivanmegafun posted:

i am not looking forward to when i need to switch to electrolysis to knock out the grey facial hairs i have. i’ve been tolerating the pain of laser surprisingly well so far though

I’ve been tweezing the stray white hairs. kinda sucks lol. I gotta go in for 1 or 2 more sessions I think, but 5 has gotten me most of the way there. have a couple teeny tiny spots I shave in the morning which isn’t ideal, but $$$ and I don’t tolerate the pain well

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

I chickened out of my last electrolysis appointment and have been procrastinating on scheduling another one because I am really embarrassed about it and I kinda just want to get knocked the gently caress out for it

I’ve heard of some people doing this. getting put under or sufficiently drugged out to do an extra extended session and do a bunch at once. doesn’t seem super common, tho benzos or painkillers beforehand seems like it could be a good idea

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

iospace posted:

Yeah, but the mod way is cheaper :v:

yeah i put in a request for it :shobon:

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

graph posted:

yeah i put in a request for it :shobon:

bless.

SenatorIvy
Mar 1, 2003

Bush lied, Kentucky Fried.
Having paid for years of full body laser and electro out of pocket, it's not great but one of the things you could do if you can't take the pain is get some lidocaine gel prescribed from your dentist (if necessary in your area? I dunno if it's controlled everywhere) and smear that on your face before going for your electro and it might help a bit. I only tried it once thought; after that I just went into the "this is what you signed up for" mode.

I'm also not sure how accurate it is that electro is the only viable thing for dark skin; every laser place I've been to has been run by hairless Arabic women of varied tones and some of them have been pretty dark but still have no hair. There's also a Black customer of my laser lady who was always there right before my appointments and she seemed to be getting results. I'd talk to your laser tech/electrologist and see what's best. It'll end up being a combination of both laser & electro of course, but if you can kill 2x4 inch squares at a time instead of the much slower bulb-burner that electro is you'll come out ahead of the game.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

The pain is a big part of it and the gel does help (I can't afford it or injections tho) but it's a whole big thing: not being able to shave, which makes me feel horrible, taking the bus there, which makes me feel worse, and trying to fight my way through the blind panic of someone looming over me and hurting me over and over again. I do not handle that well.

Ms. Twiggy
Sep 9, 2018

Floppy drives should be stylish and fun

it's many many hours. I think to clear my chest was about 25 hours? Ms Twiggy is currently doing her face so she might have better insight on the time commitment for face electro.

I’m probably 60-65 hours in at the moment and have more or less gotten a first pass clear on everything but my upper lip. But I didn’t have a ton of facial hair to start with and I still probably have a good 20 hours or so before my chin is 100% clean of lighter colored regrowth. Including my upper lip would probably put me at another 5-10 hours overall making for a total electrolysis time of 90-100 hours when all is said and done.

And that’s just the face.

In other news, I came out at work recently! It’s going well so far and I’ve only deadnamed myself twice in two days!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

thanks <3

i'll buy a few for other people later when i'm not busy playing pokemon doing important work

SenatorIvy
Mar 1, 2003

Bush lied, Kentucky Fried.

Ms. Twiggy posted:

In other news, I came out at work recently! It’s going well so far and I’ve only deadnamed myself twice in two days!

Gotta stop talking in the 3rd person!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

here yall go

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/crimen.png

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

not trying to be dumb, but is there some reason that the other link (https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/98/f0/00066400.0001.png) wouldn't work?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Achmed Jones posted:

not trying to be dumb, but is there some reason that the other link (https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/98/f0/00066400.0001.png) wouldn't work?

I think graph just didn't see that you were buying it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh ok cool, I thought I goofed or something. thanks!

the more gay skeletons the better imo

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

I’m going to come out in work tomorrow, only 2 months more and I might finally get hormones, and my mother is willing to go with me to psychologist and talk this through. My life is finally getting together and I wish the same for all of you. Also started dating another trans woman, this is the first person in my 22 years of living (yes I’m basically a child here but whatever) that I actively pursue romantically.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

RustyKnight posted:

I’m going to come out in work tomorrow, only 2 months more and I might finally get hormones, and my mother is willing to go with me to psychologist and talk this through. My life is finally getting together and I wish the same for all of you. Also started dating another trans woman, this is the first person in my 22 years of living (yes I’m basically a child here but whatever) that I actively pursue romantically.

OwO

Congratulations!

I'm having my first romantic relationship at 33, it's amazing and scary af.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

RustyKnight posted:

I'm rooting for you!

and you too Anarchist Mae!

just remember people aren't exaggerating at all when they say communication is the most important part of any relationship.

Ms. Twiggy
Sep 9, 2018

Anarchist Mae posted:

please don’t call me out like this

Ms. Twiggy
Sep 9, 2018

but seriously, before i came out, no romantic relationships for 32 years, and now i’ve had two in a single year

sure one of them was a slow burning shitshow that i never really felt head-over-heels about, but i needed that to loosen up about dating (33 years of complexes!!) and now this second one is very nice and cozy in all the ways the first one wasn’t...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

RustyKnight posted:

super congrats buddy :glomp:

Anarchist Mae posted:

also super congrats buddy :glomp:

Shifty Pony posted:

just remember people aren't exaggerating at all when they say communication is the most important part of any relationship.

fuckin' absolutely, burn this into your mind if nothing else. if you can get to the point where you connect with your partner in a way that there's no like, bullshit filters, you'll never have any real big internal relationship problems. my wife and i are practically melded into a big gay hivemind at this point and our relationship has been rock stable for nearly 10 years now

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shame Boy posted:

fuckin' absolutely, burn this into your mind if nothing else. if you can get to the point where you connect with your partner in a way that there's no like, bullshit filters, you'll never have any real big internal relationship problems. my wife and i are practically melded into a big gay hivemind at this point and our relationship has been rock stable for nearly 10 years now

also part of communication is being able to tell or be told "I need some alone time right now" without any sort of guilt.

woo relationships hive mind crew. I hope everyone gets the opportunity in their life to regularly collapse into giggle piles with their best friend because you both had to tell the other the exact same completely random thought.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

Shifty Pony posted:

also part of communication is being able to tell or be told "I need some alone time right now" without any sort of guilt.

:hai:

i've also found non-violent communication stuff really helpful, practicing using "I" language and stuff. especially having grown up around some not-entirely-healthy relationships.

the goal isn't to never disagree or gently caress up, imo. it's to know how to accommodate disagreements and fuckups when they do happen. if you can do that, you're golden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

hey here’s a thing I’ve got on my mind. I feel like I’m a bad representative for trans people because I’m a loser shutin who doesn’t like doing stuff and prefers to nap with cats