Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

yeah the winnipeg budget situation is loving ghastly

they're talking about shutting down libraries to give the cops more money

also no raising taxes ever obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Arivia posted:

they want to cap property tax increases to 2.33% a year so the mayor and city council can have a circle jerk over this graphic year over year

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

giving every tax break possible to mark chipman, the owner of the jets, is more important to people dying in the streets due to the meth crisis

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ucp-interference-election-commissioner-lorne-gibson-1.5364012

The UCP isn't even trying anymore, they know they'll get re-elected if they went to the SPCA and set every stray animal on fire. This is loving disgusting, I need to get out of this province as soon as possible.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DariusLikewise posted:

they want to cap property tax increases to 2.33% a year so the mayor and city council can have a circle jerk over this graphic year over year

:psyduck:

how do y'all have lower taxes than us? our taxes don't pay for poo poo and we've been on austerity footing for almost a decade

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines posted:

how do y'all have lower taxes than us? our taxes don't pay for poo poo and we've been on austerity footing for almost a decade

Fewer subway lines per capita. Also that whole line about high density making for cheaper infrastructure is only true if you built the infrastructure before the density.

(On a suburban level, anyway, not rural)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
drat i knew Hamilton's property taxes are high but what the hell. i guess as long as i'm subsidizing roads and water mains for new subdivisions further and further out into the country

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I've been putzing around with effective marginal tax rates again a bit today because I pay way too much tax and am sad about how inevitable even higher taxes are in the future (so some more fact-based "too much tax" propaganda is necessary). Need to make charts but :effort:.

It turns out that if you have 3-4 kids, you start "paying" around 50% right from around 31k income to the sky. There's a little fluctuation where it's lower between 67k and 85k income and higher from 150k to CCB phaseout (varies by kid count and ages) but not enough to make saying 50% absurd.

(And that's before a single means tested provincial program is involved, back when the NDP first introduced it, I posted about how two kids in subsidized daycare in BC result in a 100% effective marginal rate for two different large stretches under 100k, including the entirety of ~60-90k household income.)

On another topic, lol, Globe and Mail, what is this bullshit - do you actually have a lot of paying subscribers for this? I sure hope this premium niche thing doesn't succeed.

"To access this article you must be a Cannabis Professional subscriber."

Only Cannabis Professional subscribers receive:
- Trusted cannabis industry news and insight

Price: 999/year

The FAQ pages have view counts - only 236 views on subscription price and 29 on refunds, all articles dated April-May 2019.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

James Baud posted:

So I've been putzing around with effective marginal tax rates again a bit today because I pay way too much tax and am sad about how inevitable even higher taxes are in the future (so some more fact-based "too much tax" propaganda is necessary). Need to make charts but :effort:.

It turns out that if you have 3-4 kids, you start "paying" around 50% right from around 31k income to the sky. There's a little fluctuation where it's lower between 67k and 85k income and higher from 150k to CCB phaseout (varies by kid count and ages) but not enough to make saying 50% absurd.

(And that's before a single means tested provincial program is involved, back when the NDP first introduced it, I posted about how two kids in subsidized daycare in BC result in a 100% effective marginal rate for two different large stretches under 100k, including the entirety of ~60-90k household income.)

i would love to see the calculations that have brought you to believe in a 50% and also 100% "effective" marginal tax rate

also, you do not pay too much tax, and i absolutely guarantee you could pay more. but if you're mad about it, you could always make less money.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

lol 50%-100% marginal rate, gently caress off

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

given the whole "you pay more in taxes when you have kids" bit, i would guess it involves counting things as taxes that are not in fact taxes.

e: also counting the loss of discounts on programs due to exceeding the income caps as tax, because sure, why not. words can mean anything

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 03:35 on Nov 19, 2019

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Seems like some NYT "After I spend my money I got no money left" math.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It'll be hours before I can get back to this tonight but the 100% effective marginal rate is in my post history in this thread and Pinterest Mom (who had challenged it then) agreed after seeing it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ah, so this then

James Baud posted:

Short version that skips the preamble.

1) Base marginal rates:

79,353 - 91,107 = 31.00%
91,107 - 93,208 = 32.79%
93,208 - 110,630 = 38.29%
110,630 - 144,489 = 40.70%
https://www.taxtips.ca/taxrates/bc.htm

2) 23% to 35% *per child*

Refer to table at bottom of:
http://bcbudget.gov.bc.ca/2018/bfp/2018_Budget_and_Fiscal_Plan.pdf#page=64

page=13 for "introducing a new affordable child care benefit that will reduce the cost of care for families. A family could benefit by up to $1,250 per month for every child."

3) Canada Child Benefit clawback at over 65,000 income:
1 child: 3.2%
2 children: 5.7%
3 children: 8.0%
4+ children: 9.5%

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-ag...e-your-ccb.html

Couple scenarios, not at all cherrypicked to be especially absurd:

Income of 84k and two kids, 1 and 4?
Your effective marginal rate is 31% + 28-35% + 23% + 5.7% = 87.7% to 94.7%

So, income of 94k and three kids, ages 1, 3, 5?
Your effective marginal rate until 111k is 38.29% + 28-35% + 23% + 23% + 8% = 120.29 to 127.29%

A roughly equivalent version applies between 45 and 60k income, too. (Smaller loss of provincial benefit, bigger loss in federal CCB)

I was contemplating making a webpage with an effective marginal rate calculator and posting it on Reddit but time constraints thus far. ;)

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah, this checks out, but I guess I'm not super concerned about it

-You're using family income cutoffs but personal marginal tax rates, so these calculations strictly only apply to single earner families. Allowing for two earners drops the effective marginal rate by about 10% in each case, which still isn't great, but does help a bit. Any RRSP contributions families make which drop them in a lower bracket helps even more.

-Inasmuch as decisions wrt work are taken in "chunks", and not merely at the margin, the marginal tax rate doesn't matter that much - you might be looking at a parent deciding between staying at home and taking care of the kids, or working 20 hours a week and earning ~15k over the year. That'd be a clawback (under the two kids, 1 and 4, single earner 84k scenario) of about 9k, but you only pay income tax on the last 4k of that income (~800$), the family is overall ~5k better off. If you use the added income to give the higher-income partner more room to contribute to RRSP, you get to keep even more money. A 50-67% average tax rate isn't *fantastic*, but it's a lot better than ~100%.

-These tax credits aren't life-long, and your kids age out of them pretty quickly. You might be a single earner that gets a 10k promotion and actually be made 3k worse off this year under your second scenario, but you get to keep that 10k raise next year when the oldest child has aged out of the benefit, and the year after that, and so on.

These families are still better off under the policy than they would be otherwise, and where there are weird edge cases, I think they'll happen to people who are able to get good enough tax advice to mitigate/weather them. Designing this kind of benefit always involves a tradeoff between size of benefit, clawback rate, and length of clawback (which also costs more money), and I don't think the government made an unreasonable choice here.

DariusLikewise posted:

lol 50%-100% marginal rate, gently caress off

apatheticman posted:

Seems like some NYT "After I spend my money I got no money left" math.

It's the effect of using the very specific term "effective marginal tax rate", which exists to make it look like you're paying a lot of money in taxes if you no longer qualify for means tested government support programs, because you make too much money, by taking the amount you're not getting in credits, discounts, or support and adding it to your actual marginal tax rate

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 03:48 on Nov 19, 2019

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I mean, kids are gonna eat up 50% of your income and a bunch of it is gonna end up with the government so let's just call him right on this one. The government isn't the bad guy, it's the kids.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

The government isn't the bad guy, it's the kids.

he should be putting those freeloading little shits to work

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

if people paid more in taxes maybe we'd have services that would take the edge off of raising children, such as subsidized childcare

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

e.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 04:13 on Nov 19, 2019

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Keep voting Liberal and gradually affordable childcare will materialize right next to national pharmacare.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

see, but even if we have affordable child care, as long as the CTB has graduated income level clawbacks James Baud will be able to claim with a straight face that he has a 100% effective marginal tax rate

because, again, he makes so much money that the government no longer feels he needs subsidies, and this in a very real sense is stealing money directly from his pocket

e: to be super clear about this, what you're seeing is baud complaining that someone who makes considerably less per year, with the same number of kids, is effectively as well off as he is, ignoring all the other benefits that come along with the extra $50K-$100K per year

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 06:31 on Nov 19, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
gently caress THE BC GREENS THOSE loving PIECES OF poo poo

Arivia has issued a correction as of 20:10 on Nov 19, 2019

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
do I get to claim a higher effective tax rate because I don't have any kids and thus don't qualify for the benefits?

things have never been tougher for us DINKs...

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Arivia posted:

Pretty sure the police just want the Millennium Library real estate

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

That is awful and I am very sorry to hear that.

The information in this post might be enough for some shithead to track down your twitter handle though so unless you're comfortable with that you might want to edit your post.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

literally a cursed image

city is in ruins and everyone is in agreement about it but dOnT tOuCh My TaXeS!!!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Helsing posted:

That is awful and I am very sorry to hear that.

The information in this post might be enough for some shithead to track down your twitter handle though so unless you're comfortable with that you might want to edit your post.

eh, 50/50. I edited it out to be safe, thanks

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

infernal machines posted:

winnipeg's property taxes were frozen(no pun intended) from 1998 to 2012, since then they've only gone up an average of 2.33%/year

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, we've been doing at or below inflation increases since 2010. the only reason poo poo hasn't completely melted down is we get a lot of money out of the municipal land transfer tax. good thing the real estate market never slows.

even so, it means underfunding everything, and then trying to blame the province feds for not kicking in additional funds.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

winnipeg just didnt spend any money on anything that wasnt required for like the last 22 years, now a bunch of bridges and city owned buildings are falling apart and about to be condemned and the city has to finance everything, meanwhile the police budget is ballooning because someone signed off on OT factoring into pensions and gave the police unlimited OT and we are 50 years behind any kind of rapid transit solutions

i should also add that the provincial government has slashed and frozen transfers to municipalities in the last five years and thats putting a squeeze on operating budgets now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we've allowed our community housing (biggest landlord in canada) to crumble so badly there are thousands of units being shuttered yearly. our shelter system is bursting at the seams and there are yearly crises because the system can't even begin to meet the demand during the winter. we know loving well how to fix it, but instead, every year they mayor does the same bullshit song and dance about keeping property taxes low, and then tries to blame the feds and the province for not funding our services.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And it's not like those people are just saying "oh well, i'll just not sleep or eat this month"

Those costs are just being pushed onto the books of emergency services, hospitals, the police, jails, Insurance companies, individuals, companies etc.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Speaking of which Pallister just announced tax cuts

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I got a mailer from uber telling me uber is starting in my city soon and now is the time to become my own boss. gently caress you hellworld.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

lol

https://twitter.com/CanadianPolling/status/1196828604983922688?s=20

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

at least they're unable to really focus that hate, too many targets

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I like how well the numbers line up. You can really see where the broader Conservative alliance breaks into the social conservatives.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Intuitively I also kinda feel like the numbers on unions and environmental groups for the CPC are auspicious low, especially with expressive responding being what it is.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

i feel like the survey asked people their top two only

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

i feel like the survey asked people their top two only

my reading is that they asked everybody about each one, and that second tweet is showing which party had the highest result for each answer

so for example the lpc aren't listed because liberals weren't the top party hating any of the options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
Sorry, I still can't get over the fact WE ARE TURNING OFF STREET LIGHTS TO SAVE MONEY

Man, that makes me laugh. Just picturing cars slamming into houses, running off roads, obliterating pedestrians. What a city.

COME TO WINNIPEG! SEE THE SIGHTS!!...until we turn off the lights