Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://universe.leagueoflegends.com/en_US/champion/aphelios

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

preseason patch notes are out

https://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/patch/patch-923-notes

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
From the support item changes

quote:

Anti-Poaching

EAT THE RICHFarming more than 20 CS per 5 minutes (3 out of 10 waves) reduces gold from minions by 50%. The penalty increases with further CS to a max of 80% reduction at 50 minions.

MATHOnce the penalty kicks in, your CS gold is reduced to (70 - CS within 5 minutes)%

They just love this kind of stuff huh?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

eric ciaramella posted:

From the support item changes

They just love this kind of stuff huh?

They "love" this kind of stuff because there's otherwise no way to effectively gatekeep support item usage in a way that's fair to the support (re: you can still get gold from the occasional minion wave if your ADC ate poo poo beforehand) without systematizing role selection.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Vermain posted:

They "love" this kind of stuff because there's otherwise no way to effectively gatekeep support item usage in a way that's fair to the support (re: you can still get gold from the occasional minion wave if your ADC ate poo poo beforehand) without systematizing role selection.

Or, you know, just not having silly items like this in the game in the first place. Figuring out how to best utilize 4 gold streams among 5 players is a problem with interesting tactical considerations. There's no need to add a hamfisted 5th gold stream to the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The issue is that nobody in solo queue wants to work out that tactical consideration. Nobody wants to be the guy who gets enough money for a ruby crystal over the course of a 30 minute game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dancer posted:

Figuring out how to best utilize 4 gold streams among 5 players is a problem with interesting tactical considerations.

This is what they had before the inclusion of support items, and the result was that support was a dogshit dull role that never got to feel powerful, impactful, or make strategic item choices. There's no "interesting tactical consideration" to be had, because the benefit of completed items and multiplicative scaling will always ensure that gold is prioritized onto the champs that can best benefit from it. It's not a puzzle to be solved; it's a simple calculation.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Support items are fine, I guess, I dont really like em but whatever. But why do they need this dump cs kneecapping ability? It makes no sense and only serves to punish the player.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

eric ciaramella posted:

But why do they need this dump cs kneecapping ability?

Because every other laner (sans the jungler) will otherwise take the support item for the increased gold gen, resulting in a game with both massively inflated gold values and four full Sightstones per side.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Vermain posted:

This is what they had before the inclusion of support items, and the result was that support was a dogshit dull role that never got to feel powerful, impactful, or make strategic item choices. There's no "interesting tactical consideration" to be had, because the benefit of completed items and multiplicative scaling will always ensure that gold is prioritized onto the champs that can best benefit from it. It's not a puzzle to be solved; it's a simple calculation.

You misunderstood me (because I skipped a step). Yes of course multiplicative scaling is there, it's obvious, and it means the 5th person makes no money. The tactical considerations come thereafter. This 5th person is playing a different game from the rest of the team, and must now figure out how to make the strongest impact given the much tighter money supply. I mained support from season 1 to season 4, I know how it works, and it's unique and interesting. Just because the average yolo-queue mouth-breather can't handle not dealing quad-digit damage every 5 seconds (NB: hyperb.) doesn't mean the game had to be changed to accommodate them.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dancer posted:

You misunderstood me (because I skipped a step). Yes of course multiplicative scaling is there, it's obvious, and it means the 5th person makes no money. The tactical considerations come thereafter. This 5th person is playing a different game from the rest of the team, and must now figure out how to make the strongest impact given the much tighter money supply.

I'm glad that you found that interesting. The overwhelming majority of players, including myself, did not.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Nimbus Cloak

Procs off summoner spells instead of ults.

We turned Nimbus Cloak into Cloud Drake's Dragon Soul, so we're changing Nimbus Cloak to work off Summoner Spells instead.

PROC On ult cast ⇒ On Summoner Spell cast
SPEED BOOST 100 bonus movement speed for 2.5 seconds, decaying over the last second ⇒ 15-35% movement speed for 2.5 seconds depending on Summoner Spell cooldown
LONG COOLDOWN 35% movement speed (Flash, Teleport)
MEDIUM COOLDOWN 25% movement speed (Heal, Ignite, Cleanse, Exhaust, Ghost, Barrier)
SHORT COOLDOWN 15% movement speed (Hexflash, Smite, Zoe's W - Spell Thief, ARAM's Mark)

Welcome to the nimbus cloak meta cant gank what you cant catch

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Dancer posted:

You misunderstood me (because I skipped a step). Yes of course multiplicative scaling is there, it's obvious, and it means the 5th person makes no money. The tactical considerations come thereafter. This 5th person is playing a different game from the rest of the team, and must now figure out how to make the strongest impact given the much tighter money supply. I mained support from season 1 to season 4, I know how it works, and it's unique and interesting. Just because the average yolo-queue mouth-breather can't handle not dealing quad-digit damage every 5 seconds (NB: hyperb.) doesn't mean the game had to be changed to accommodate them.

No one else wants to play ward bitch anymore

Also higher income supports are much more skill-testing since you can actually afford active items and actually threaten people after 5 mins

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
We found the person who unironically cheered anytime a ward was killed during that 50 minute tournament game where the supports only built philosopher stones and heart of golds and carried 30 wards at a time.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

boy i love having 1000 health and no items and getting instant killed every fight. at least i get to be the exclusive Ward Placer for everyone on my team to ignore

strong bird
May 12, 2009

im sure my heal will be effective even with no items. this 180 health i'm granting this guy getting killed by 3 ninjas simultaneously is a big contribution

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Speaking of three ninjas simultaneously

Sanguine Blade

Gain attack speed and lethality when near one or fewer enemies.

The first of our two new items. Sanguine Blade offers Duskblade-tier damage when you're hunting a lone enemy, but drops closer to Edge of Night levels if you're teamfighting. Go 1v1 somebody. Or 2v1 or 5v1, but where's the honor in that?

TOTAL COST3000 gold

BUILD PATHSerrated Dirk + Vampiric Scepter + 1000 gold

ATTACK DAMAGE50

LETHALITY10

LIFESTEAL15%

UNIQUE PASSIVEBLOOD PURSUIT: While near one or fewer visible enemy champions gain 8 lethality and 40-100% attack speed (lvl 1-18), decaying over 3 seconds if other enemy champions get too close.

This item is a bad idea. Abuse it.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Lid posted:

Sanguine Blade

The first of our two new items. Sanguine Blade offers Duskblade-tier damage when you're hunting a lone enemy, but drops closer to Edge of Night levels if you're teamfighting. Go 1v1 somebody. Or 2v1 or 5v1, but where's the honor in that?

TOTAL COST3000 gold

ATTACK DAMAGE50

LETHALITY10

LIFESTEAL15%

UNIQUE PASSIVEBLOOD PURSUIT: While near one or fewer visible enemy champions gain 8 lethality and 40-100% attack speed (lvl 1-18), decaying over 3 seconds if other enemy champions get too close.

I mentioned in the discord that this is going to make noted lane bullies jayce and quinn even more horrific to deal with.

Comedy option: hail of blades, sanguine blade tahm kench. 0-in my belly in less than a second

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

el dingo posted:

I mentioned in the discord that this is going to make noted lane bullies jayce and quinn even more horrific to deal with.

Comedy option: hail of blades, sanguine blade tahm kench. 0-in my belly in less than a second

It's absurdly good on Tryndamere.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

strong bird posted:

im sure my heal will be effective even with no items. this 180 health i'm granting this guy getting killed by 3 ninjas simultaneously is a big contribution

any meta where soraka is viable is a bad meta.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

im referring to my good friend, nami, the tidecaller, you drat dirty ape

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://universe-meeps.leagueoflegends.com/v1/assets/images/aphelios-splash.jpg
for the full splash art

Next edition of Worlds he'll be in a boyband with Varus, Kayn, Taric and Talon.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

i love being in the lowest income bracket and working at mcdonalds because it presents me with more interesting tactical considerations, such as

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Lid posted:

Sanguine Blade

TOTAL COST3000 gold

ATTACK DAMAGE50

LETHALITY10

LIFESTEAL15%

I don't like the inclusion of this item as a jungle main, because I'm going to be called to babysit top for legit reasons to stop the AD ranged top like Quinn or Vayne or Jayce from activating Super Saiyan mode without me there.
Towers are gonna melt to the attack speed too.

I do like Duskblade's blackout passive becoming it's own weaker item because the vision control was insane and even generated a decent chunk of gold and experience to the owner from the wards you destroy.
However you can still use Duskblade to tell if your sitting on a ward in a bush or not because of the other passive and it's icon.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 19, 2019

strong bird
May 12, 2009

i can perversely understand the allure of split pushing but does anyone really think its interesting to play against? forget fun, that isn't a design consideration for riot. whats interesting about it?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Only thing interesting about it is giving your team a chance for a comeback after getting your poo poo kicked in early game. This could be solved in other better ways though.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

to clarify i dont mean like, for 2 minutes someone pushes top while everyone else skirmishes mid. i mean like the standard top laner's brain worms of always being in a side lane for 30~ minutes

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Why do you think top lane is referred to as a wasteland all the time?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

ive been a strong advocate of erecting a literal impassible wall sequestering top lane from the remainder of the map.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yorick is the most fun champion in league of legends because you just attack move down top lane for 40 minutes

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What I want to know is when they are going to finally do something about Tank itemization, they removed 2 tank items during season 9 and the preseason patch removed 2 more tank items, when are there going to be some Health+Resist+CDR items with Decent actives scale off health added in?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 19, 2019

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What I want to know is when they are going to finally do something about Tank itemization, they removed 2 tank items during season 9 and the preseason patch removed 2 more tank items, when are there going to be some Health/Resist/CDR/Decent active items that scale off health items added in?

Eh at least conquerer is getting the true damage knocked off

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
And want to re-iterate that Sanguine blade is hopefully not going to survive the pre-season as-is because getting up to 2500g of attack speed and 8 lethality for free unless you force teammates to match them 1vs2 is not ok and Top Vayne is going to become a monster to deal with.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

If people start playing adcs top, dont worry, Riot will nerf it immediately.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

eric ciaramella posted:

If people start playing adcs top, dont worry, Riot will nerf it immediately.

Vayne and Quinn top are seldom seen but completely viable top picks with the Vayne if not stopped early with the right champs or ganks able to snowball out of control with 1vs2+ or teamfight cleanup, she will have far more presence with the solo lane exp changes and Sanguine blade giving her 2500g of attack speed attached to 3000g of other stats.

Even Lucian, Jhin or other ADC's mid aren't that uncommon in season 9 and the exp changes might see more of them moving to solo lanes if they can thrive there, because AD lanes don't have the same problem AP lanes do where after level 9 or 13 where they don't really have a skill they can level up that increases their damage output and is usually just shorter cooldown utility when leveling it, much shorter cooldowns and cooldown reduction and 1.0 or better scaling for auto attacks however.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 19, 2019

strong bird
May 12, 2009

whens the patch

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

strong bird posted:

whens the patch

Early tomorrow morning. Barring a US holiday, it's always on a Wednesday.

Things I'm interested in seeing tomorrow:
  • How badly are tank supports gonna get hosed between the removal of Relic's healing and the nerf to Aftershock's base resists?
  • How much is Ezreal's winrate going to go into freefall?
  • Are tanks going to be played top now that Conqueror's slightly less oppressive?
  • How much of an arms race is Nimbus Cloak going to create?

Vermain fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 19, 2019

strong bird
May 12, 2009

wouldnt be surprised to see that ezreal just gets klepto for free or something on his Q in a patch or two, depending on how virulent the ezreal main lobby is

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
I absolutely dread going against adcs top when I'm not a poke champ like vlad. Ya play Illaoi and your tentacles are dead, you play Urgot and one E miss(which will happen against vayne/quinn top) is death.
I have to beg the mid lane to swap or the jungle to gank when I don't have a champ that's capable to honestly lane against them. I mean usually vaynes and quinns fall off later onto the game due to team fight antics but those first ten minutes hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

also they keep trolling me by removing all the stuff i use for lux ult reduction. first they killed ultimate hat, then they removed it from the spell wholesale, now its gone from PoM. at least i get to have even more infinite mana if i want it