Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Raids are how I discovered that Boomburst hits all targets.

My Toxtricity scored a quad kill with it. :v:

it's frankly insane to leave this much opportunity for griefing in the multiplayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Borsche69 posted:

Why do people feel the need to make these weird smug posts?

Because painting all criticism with the "well some people sent death threats therefore every person who has any bad word to say about Swoosh is the same" brush makes it easy to ignore.

Even as good as the game is, it easily could've done with like, 6-12 months more time in the oven (which would've probably allowed a more refined dexit as opposed to the to-the-bone cuts it actually was) and much more carefully handled PR and communication.

Super No Vacancy posted:

it's frankly insane to leave this much opportunity for griefing in the multiplayer

In my defense it was a genuine accident, I didn't actually know it hit all non-self targets. :negative:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm a bit of a weirdo, in that Black/White are my favorite games, though I'm enjoying this one a hell of a lot. Even with some of the...not entirely great designs, running into only Gen V Pokemon prior to the post-game made them the first ones to really give me the same feeling of "What'll I find next?!" that I got playing Red back when.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just curious about something in regards to the Dynamax dens, do you actually have to catch the Pokemon at the end of the fight in order to receive rewards at the end?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Larryb posted:

Just curious about something in regards to the Dynamax dens, do you actually have to catch the Pokemon at the end of the fight in order to receive rewards at the end?
no, you just have to defeat them

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Blaziken386 posted:

And you get the rewards even if you try and fail to catch, and no, we don't know how the catch mechanics work but it's definitely rigged in your favor for 1* and rigged against you for 5* so there's something going on there.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Having set piece dungeons and more elaborately designed environments would've been the best use of extra time, Imo. Just make Galar more fun to explore with your team.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

Do the rewards change depending on what you do at the end of the fight or is it set no matter what. Also do Dynamax dens ever respawn at some point?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

And you get the rewards even if you try and fail to catch, and no, we don't know how the catch mechanics work but it's definitely rigged in your favor for 1* and rigged against you for 5* so there's something going on there.

Wait, you can actually fail to catch Pokemon during a raid? It’s worked every time for me so I just assumed it treats every poke ball like a master ball in those instances.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 19, 2019

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Because painting all criticism with the "well some people sent death threats therefore every person who has any bad word to say about Swoosh is the same" brush makes it easy to ignore.

Even as good as the game is, it easily could've done with like, 6-12 months more time in the oven (which would've probably allowed a more refined dexit as opposed to the to-the-bone cuts it actually was) and much more carefully handled PR and communication.

In my defense it was a genuine accident, I didn't actually know it hit all non-self targets. :negative:

Between this thread and the rest off the Internet, what I have seen of Sw/Sh despite haven't played it yet is that some parts clearly got a lot of attention (Wild Area, camping, the general early game stand out the most from here) while many others seemingly were rushed in at the last minute. Is that correct?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Another post in this thread saying gently caress the Fairy gym battle. I sat at the age question for a minute thinking 'if I choose 16 the game's going to think I'm an idiot and punish me but if I choose 88 it's a trick and it'll still punish me.'

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I'm a bit of a weirdo, in that Black/White are my favorite games, though I'm enjoying this one a hell of a lot. Even with some of the...not entirely great designs, running into only Gen V Pokemon prior to the post-game made them the first ones to really give me the same feeling of "What'll I find next?!" that I got playing Red back when.

Also made the game feel like a different part of the world all-together. Gen V and the first two are my favourites as well.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shneak posted:

Another post in this thread saying gently caress the Fairy gym battle. I sat at the age question for a minute thinking 'if I choose 16 the game's going to think I'm an idiot and punish me but if I choose 88 it's a trick and it'll still punish me.'

how are people this loving salty about the silly question gym

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Larryb posted:

Do the rewards change depending on what you do at the end of the fight or is it set no matter what. Also do Dynamax dens ever respawn at some point?

Wait, you can actually fail to catch Pokemon during a raid? It’s worked every time for me so I just assumed it treats every poke ball like a master ball in those instances.
yeah the game tricks you like that with the 1-star raids

"oh, I've thrown a pokeball at these mons and caught them every time, I guess they can't break out, nice!"

*2 hours later*

"oh poo poo, that pokemon's rare, I should catch it for my team!" *pokemon immediately breaks out*

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Have y'all never interacted with an elderly person? They all love to joke about their ages.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

qnqnx posted:

Between this thread and the rest off the Internet, what I have seen of Sw/Sh despite haven't played it yet is that some parts clearly got a lot of attention (Wild Area, camping, the general early game stand out the most from here) while many others seemingly were rushed in at the last minute. Is that correct?

Yeah, that's probably about how I'd summarize it. It does a lot of good, and makes some questionable missteps, but on the balance it's a very good experience that could've been so much more with more time, but I get that Game Freak is on a mandated release cadence. The goon that called it video game comfort food was pretty spot on.

I'm still very upset by some of the removals, for example, but I'm finding friends that make up for some of them. No one has made up for Porygon not being in, though. I would've loved to have seen a Dynamax Porygon-Z. :smith:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Have y'all never interacted with an elderly person? They all love to joke about their ages.

I have no idea how people have apparently never come across "old woman likes being called young" thing in fiction before

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I was more salty that my always pink dress, pink shoes, pink hair, pink eyes, and pink tights were apparently NOT PINK ENOUGH for this piece old piece of poo poo. I hope you fall and break your hip old lady

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I was more salty that my always pink dress, pink shoes, pink hair, pink eyes, and pink tights were apparently NOT PINK ENOUGH for this piece old piece of poo poo. I hope you fall and break your hip old lady

Pink is a mindset and you failed

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Andrast posted:

I have no idea how people have apparently never come across "old woman likes being called young" thing in fiction before

After the "actually my favorite color is purple even though fuckin' everything is pink" I assumed trying to flatter her would be too obvious and get shot down. v:shobon:v

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have fed this worm so much curry and let it fight so many battles with the soothe bell.

This thing will never be happy

It's also dependent on what time of day it levels up

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Andrast posted:

That Togekiss was spanking my team :shrug:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

After the "actually my favorite color is purple even though fuckin' everything is pink" I assumed trying to flatter her would be too obvious and get shot down. v:shobon:v

I picked pink and felt really dumb when I noticed she has a big purple ruff around her neck.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Shneak posted:

That Togekiss was spanking my team :shrug:

You didn't have an X-Attack boosted Sirfetch'd running train on the joint with Steel Wing spam? :v:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

qnqnx posted:

The wild area is actually one of the features that really could have done with more polish. Great utility in regards of pokemon availability and items but it looks baddish, lags like hell, all the pokemon just wander around aimlessly or spin in circles... It’s functional but feels very artificial.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm explaining about whether the criticism is relevant to a person who hasn't played the games since Pokemon Blue.

They are not going to give a poo poo about the national dex.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm dealing with a weird problem. When I'm on the map screen, my cursor starts drifting up-right. I calibrated my control sticks and it's still happening. Stick drift?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

#1 thing they need to do is overhaul/fix the raid battle joining thing

if raids are gonna be the end game you need to give people the realistic option to just chill in a pokecenter mashing "JOIN NEXT AVAILABLE" button

seems like less work than making NPCs able to contribute for 3+ star ones

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

no i know but its insane that they left the door open for somebody to go in and start team killing three other 10 year olds in one fell swoop

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Is the matchmaking just broke or do I need to open ports or something? No one ever joins me for raid battles and every raid battle I try to join says the host is gone or that it's immediately full.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

#1 thing they need to do is overhaul/fix the raid battle joining thing

if raids are gonna be the end game you need to give people the realistic option to just chill in a pokecenter mashing "JOIN NEXT AVAILABLE" button

Oh my god, I would spend all loving day in a "looking for raid"-esque queue. That would be a treat. :neckbeard: I've had pretty decent success jumping into raids via sticker notifications (especially thanks to whoever it was in this thread suggesting using the league card swap to reset your stickers) but I'd love to just be like "put me in next open raid, don't give a gently caress who or what, let's hunt some bigguns".

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the joke of the fairy gem is that all the mission questions are easy and all the gym leader questions are meant to double-cross you based on that misdirection. you're supposed to have figured that out by the third one

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

JT Jag posted:

I'm dealing with a weird problem. When I'm on the map screen, my cursor starts drifting up-right. I calibrated my control sticks and it's still happening. Stick drift?
Up? Definitely stick drift. Send it in, sorry friend.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I thought that the lesson from the fairy gym was that I shouldn't have spent so long farming raids because a 10 level advantage takes the fun out of the game?

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
Unless you're making your pokes eat exp candies every time you're done with a raid, they shouldn't have any bearing on overleveling

I think the problem with overleveling in this game is from getting exp from catching. Everyone says to patch in an exp share toggle; I say patch OUT getting exp from catching... or better yet get exp candy from... everything.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Counterpoint: Make everything give XP. When I'm riding my bike, give me XP for every inch my bike goes. Anytime I eat a curry give me 20,000 xp. Everytime I throw a ball, give me XP for every second it takes for the pokemon to get the ball. Extra bonus XP if the correct Pokemon grabs it. Overleveling owns

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

yeah, I tend to mess around doing raids while waiting for my friend to catch up because they give exp candy instead of exp

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Andrast posted:

People getting genuinely mad at Opal is this game's most successful bit of writing by a long-shot.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, that's probably about how I'd summarize it. It does a lot of good, and makes some questionable missteps, but on the balance it's a very good experience that could've been so much more with more time, but I get that Game Freak is on a mandated release cadence. The goon that called it video game comfort food was pretty spot on.

I'm still very upset by some of the removals, for example, but I'm finding friends that make up for some of them. No one has made up for Porygon not being in, though. I would've loved to have seen a Dynamax Porygon-Z. :smith:

Or Dynamax Magnezone :smith:
Here's to hoping it does get better with time. Now that I think about it, one reason why GameFreak seems reticent on DLC or patching in content is that they might be far too limited in development time to even do that.

Avalerion posted:

The wild area is actually one of the features that really could have done with more polish. Great utility in regards of pokemon availability and items but it looks baddish, lags like hell, all the pokemon just wander around aimlessly or spin in circles... It’s functional but feels very artificial.

Yeah, in theory it was a really good idea but the technical issues really need ironing out, and with the existing animations large pokemon like Steelix and Gyarados don't seem fit to it. Those benefit from the abstraction of classical "run among the grass into an encounter" style.
Or the Wingull.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Blaziken386 posted:

yeah, I tend to mess around doing raids while waiting for my friend to catch up because they give exp candy instead of exp

poo poo I wish they made all xp into consumable items you could choose to spend. Imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Fun fact for anybody who wants to use Galaran Weezing- It has access to a unique Fairy type special move called Strange Steam with 90 att, 95 acc and a chance to confuse. You can only get it at the move rememberer though, you won't get it normally by leveling.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 19, 2019