Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/OfficialJonZal/status/1196816733736259584

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/1196817356862836738?s=19

Looking for the clip where Vindman had a giggle about his own language skills. Dude's obviously a pretty big nerd and it kind of rules.

Edit: bingo

https://twitter.com/NewsHour/status/1196814197155229696?s=19

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

facialimpediment posted:

"Here's how money launderers crime... hey wait a minute that sounds like a good idea"

https://twitter.com/viaSimonRomero/status/1196531619886010368?s=19

Jesus. That guy's got a "I have whiskey on my cornflakes" complexion.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
maybe if he committed some war crimes the republicans would trust/like him

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Watch Jordan go after Vindman like an OSU rape victim

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1196817415813812225

The Extended Universe is always so terrible for anything

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Has there been any significant signs of GOP defections re: Impeachment? Either among the voters or the elected? I’ve been deep in the woods for the last week or so with no electronics so I’ve missed everything, and this thread didn’t mention any.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

People staying home instead of voting for the rep governors that were running when those red states elected dem govs is about it i think

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Has there been any significant signs of GOP defections re: Impeachment? Either among the voters or the elected? I’ve been deep in the woods for the last week or so with no electronics so I’ve missed everything, and this thread didn’t mention any.

Some republican governors have came out in support of impeachment and removal from office. Mitt Romney has openly stated support for impeachment. Susan Collins refused to vote on Lindsay Graham's bill condemning the house impeachment proceedings.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Collins is ultimately worthless when it comes to anything with impact though. Good thing she'll be gone soonish.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

You'd need what... 20 republican senators to vote for it?

Extremely doubt that is going to happen.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/adage/status/11...ingawful.com%2F

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

FAUXTON posted:

Watch Jordan go after Vindman like an OSU rape victim

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1196831849231896576?s=19

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1196832281115136000?s=19

Vindman saw the nonsense coming and came prepared.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The only GOP Senators that might conceivably come out in support are ones that are up for re-election, but only after the GOP primary filing deadline has passed.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I looked into this, several trademarks have been filed. They will likely all be denied on the grounds of the phrase having cultural or political meaning.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Crakkerjakk posted:

You'd need what... 20 republican senators to vote for it?

Extremely doubt that is going to happen.

Either 18 or 19. Right now, Trump will be impeached but not removed from office. There will need to be a large number of republican defections in order to remove him.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Literally sitting next to people talking poo poo about Vindman while watching testimony is making my head hurt. Nunes telling him "you're under subpoena" as if Republicans have complied with literally any of the subpoenas they've gotten.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Either 18 or 19. Right now, Trump will be impeached but not removed from office. There will need to be a large number of republican defections in order to remove him.

I always kinda wonder in the back of my mind what it would look like to jump to the alternate universe where Trump takes a secret service agents gun and executes someone in a press conference. Then I wonder if that costs him any votes or any loss of senate support, or just a discussion of how that person needed killing instead.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Literally sitting next to people talking poo poo about Vindman while watching testimony is making my head hurt. Nunes telling him "you're under subpoena" as if Republicans have complied with literally any of the subpoenas they've gotten.

Those are invalid, deep state, liberal antifa subpoenas. True patriots get to ignore those.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yep, dude's good.

https://twitter.com/owillis/status/1196857419630088192?s=19

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

wanna give that dude a high five

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

wanna give that dude a high five

Jonah Hill is going to get nominated for an Oscar for that role.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

And like clockwork the Rs and Twitter shitheads are questioning the LTCs service, his loyalties, why he's wearing a uniform, his purple heart, etc.

Great to see the Karl Rove 2004 Kerry attacks still working

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I was a fan of the guy wearing his dad's wings

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Castro from Texas had everyone laughing too.

E

https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1196849615343149056?s=09

Syrian Lannister fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 19, 2019

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It's a shame the Castro twins grew personalities and nascent spines about 8 years too late

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Hmm, this vote count kinda sucks and McConnell, per Pelosi, is saying poo poo like "I won't do anything the president won't do".

https://twitter.com/RebeccaRKaplan/status/1196886204484083712?s=19

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The republican attempt to define down hearsay is gonna stick it's just too convenient and reality bending for the chud brain to refuse.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/thatbilloakley/status/1195016894962470912?s=19

While running errands today turned on Rush and he was making this exact Sideshow Boy defense for DJT

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

And like clockwork the Rs and Twitter shitheads are questioning the LTCs service, his loyalties, why he's wearing a uniform, his purple heart, etc.

Great to see the Karl Rove 2004 Kerry attacks still working

This makes the "top 1%" part a clever statement to have. If the top 1% is this bad, how bad is the other 99%!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Omar continues to be awesome

https://twitter.com/Ilhan/status/11...ingawful.com%2F

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

We dont deserve Omar and AOC

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Stravag posted:

We dont deserve Omar and AOC

Yes, we absolutely do. We don't deserve evil like Trump.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/thatbilloakley/status/1195016894962470912?s=19

Convicted of a crime I didn’t even commit. Hah! Attempted murder? Now honestly, what is that? Do they give a Nobel Prize for attempted chemistry? Do they?”

— Sideshow Bob, “The Simpsons,” Season 6, Episode 5, 1994

This rhetorical absurdity, originally intended as a joke on a TV cartoon, is now being trotted out in all seriousness by the GOP. What New York magazine writer Jonathan Chait has called the “Sideshow Bob defense” has become central to Republican efforts to shield President Trump from accusations of wrongdoing. Because the Ukrainian quid pro quo was ultimately unsuccessful, the argument goes, no crime was committed, even if one was attempted. The editorial page of the Wall Street Journal wrote (apparently not joking): “Many people in the Administration opposed the Giuliani effort, including some in senior positions at the White House. This matters because it may turn out that while Mr. Trump wanted a quid-pro-quo policy ultimatum toward Ukraine, he was too inept to execute it.”

AD

Chait has noted other examples. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), for instance, said: “Name me one thing that Ukraine did to release the money. Nothing.” Never mind Trump’s explicit request for “a favor” or that the aid may have been released because skeptical National Security Council staff members started raising questions.

And instances of this extraordinarily strained attempt at excuse-making keep coming. In an interview with The Washington Post, Nikki Haley reasoned: “There was no heavy demand insisting that something had to happen. So it’s hard for me to understand where the whole impeachment situation is coming from, because what everybody’s up in arms about didn’t happen.” In the end, “the aid flowed.”

Good point, Sideshow Bob.

AD

The Sideshow Bob line is famous among fans of “The Simpsons,” now in its 31st season, but others may need some background. Sideshow Bob is a recurring character — tall and slim with huge, weird hair and voiced by actor Kelsey Grammer, whose upper-crust baritone gives the character a sophisticated elan. (Bob did go to Yale, after all.)

He was originally the TV sidekick to Krusty the Clown but got locked up when a scheme to frame Krusty for armed robbery was exposed by Bart Simpson (age 10). When released, Bob began a vendetta against Bart, trying to wreak vengeance on the boy — usually in one episode per season in the 1990s.

In the episode titled “Sideshow Bob Roberts” (I wish we had named it after a more memorable film than the mock-documentary “Bob Roberts”), scripted by Josh Weinstein and myself, Bob starts a grass-roots effort to get released from prison so he can run for mayor of Springfield, with the goal of tormenting the Simpson family. As part of this ultimately successful campaign, Bob calls in to the radio show of Rush Limbaugh-analogue Birch Barlow to decry the unfairness of being convicted of “attempted murder.” That’s when he mocks the crime as being comparable to “attempted chemistry.”

On the surface, the Sideshow Bob defense might sound reasonable to the majority of dolts in Springfield, U.S.A. After all, Robert Onderdonk Terwilliger (his full name) is one of the smartest men in town. No, they sure don’t give a Nobel Prize for “attempted chemistry” — and local oafs such as Barney Gumble and Cletus Spuckler probably fell hook, line and sinker for this faulty logic.

The citizens of Springfield are, as a whole, dummies. That’s because it is a comedy show. Sure, there are a few reasonable folks there (notably Lisa Simpson) to provide a jaundiced perspective on the hoi polloi, but a continuing theme of the series is that the citizenry is “nothing but a pack of fickle mush-heads,” in the words of their own Mayor Quimby, easily swayed by the lamest attempts at manipulation. Often, it’s right-wing manipulation — evidenced by the fact that they riot when presented with a statue of mild-mannered do-gooder Jimmy Carter, whom one resident decries as “history’s greatest monster.”

That the GOP has taken a cue from Sideshow Bob is shrewd, on one level. After all, Bob is wily enough to take advantage of widespread civic ignorance and quickly install himself as mayor in a rigged election. He’s savvy enough to know that in Springfield — and, perhaps, elsewhere in the United States? — a middle-aged white male wearing a tie and saying anything with some conviction will be believed by at least 55 percent of people, especially if they already want to believe it. (Sixty-five percent if he has a classy accent.)

Ultimately, though, Sideshow Bob’s lies are exposed by Bart and Lisa, in a plot we based on the Watergate scandal. (The kids meet a Deep Throat-style informant in a parking garage; a scene of them researching voting records echoes a shot from “All the President’s Men.” Yes, the parallels are getting uncanny.) In court, under intense questioning from the kids, Bob finally erupts in an outraged confession. Why did he deceive the town? “Because you need me, Springfield. Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a coldhearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals and rule you like a king. That’s why I did this: to protect you from yourselves.” (I won’t get into an analysis of whether that line fits the current situation.) What Bob doesn’t say is that he’s also a scheming, egomaniacal narcissist who literally cannot stop himself from committing crimes. (I won’t get into an analysis of that, either.)

It’s hard to believe that the Sideshow Bob defense of Trump will be long-lived, as it fails to stand up to even the slightest scrutiny. It is literally a joke. (Still, Rep. Joaquin Castro (D-Tex.) felt obliged to stamp out any confusion during the impeachment hearing Wednesday. “Is attempted murder a crime?” he asked Ambassador William B. Taylor Jr. Laughing, Taylor responded: “Attempted murder is a crime.”)

Indeed, many in the GOP have pivoted to a new defense of the president: The latest argument is that famous corruption fighter Donald Trump just wanted to fight corruption wherever it may be found, with the assistance of his sidekick, famous corruption fighter Rudolph W. Giuliani. “Oh come on now, that’s too much. People won’t seriously fall for that,” Sideshow Bob might reply. And then, with an evil gleam in his eye: “ … Will they?

It's soooooooo smug, God now I remember why I don't bother going incognito to read wapo.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/19/780794931/prosecutors-charge-correctional-officers-who-guarded-jeffrey-epstein-before-his-

Oops

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

I listened to this on the ride home. Volker is covering his rear end like a loving champ, he can see that they're on the hunt for a scapegoat and that he'd get thrown to the wolves without a blink.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

I have literally been saying this since it happened.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bird food bathtub posted:

I listened to this on the ride home. Volker is covering his rear end like a loving champ, he can see that they're on the hunt for a scapegoat and that he'd get thrown to the wolves without a blink.

Volker and Morrison basically sound like garden-variety bureaucrats in that they're not evil, but they're used to working within evil, so they put their blinders on and work to fix things as "good" as possible. But, they're still bureaucrats, so "good" is very much up for debate.

They just didn't realize until recently that they're in a presidential groverhaus. There's no point in fixing an electrical outlet correctly when the whole system is hot garbage.

Now they're trying to avoid the lawsuits :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Chichevache posted:

I have literally been saying this since it happened.

https://twitter.com/GetDisneyPrime/status/1196913206251393024?s=19