Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

After sitting with it the last few days, my chief complaint about Grandmaster is that due to the way the game is balanced, you can’t realistically hit enemies often enough to refill your force meter to the same degree that you can in the other 3 difficulties, but the incoming/outgoing damage values in Grandmaster mean that Force powers are the only way to beat certain fights.

This means that in practice you’re absolutely forced, by design, to run circles around your enemies, spamming dodge and trying to get a hit in here or there or god willing Perfect Dodge to recoup some mana and keep fighting. Turning it down to Master from Grandmaster I couldn’t believe how much faster my force meter recharged and how much more stuff I could do in every fight.

The combat in this game is SOOOO close to being really good but playing on Grandmaster literally forces you to play the game in a way it wasn’t designed to be played and that sucks really bad. You can’t offer me an extreme challenge and then say “it’s not that the enemies are challenging, it’s that you are extremely handicapped and can’t use any of your cool powers” because the lightsaber combat and parry system A) aren’t deep enough to support it and B) parrying and dodging do not work on the giant animal mini-bosses because they’re so aggressive and often come in pairs.

It’s frustrating but I tried. I eventually gave up on Grandmaster completely due to a bug with the final boss of Dathomir. The boss is so big and takes up so much screen that getting within range of it for lightsaber damage would cause the camera to literally clip inside its giant model, meaning that if I was close enough to damage it, it basically became invisible and I couldn’t see any tells and so it was just a giant, invisible monster spamming AoE attacks. I tried about 10 times, getting one shot by attacks I literally cannot see happening, before I just said nuts to this and turned it down.

The absolute most frustrating thing about this game is that the bones of a truly good game are here, I’m not sure you’d need more than a balance patch to make the combat extremely tight and responsive, but it’s juuuuuust short of realizing its goals.

This boss was actually the easiest I've faced on grand master, honestly, even if I understand your frustrations. I've kept on going with grand master even though I'm dying hilariously often. It doesn't feel like it has many elements of risk or that you have to take risks to kill it since parrying is absolutely unnecessary - and feels risky because the timings feel counter-intuitive. I will admit that I died several times to the jump close to the player -> do the black sludge attack which you need to jump over, but I am wondering if that combination is specific to a phase of the fight or has an actual tell outside the actual black sludge animation. Timing for the sludge was a little unintuitive at first, even with double jump.

I really hope the game releases some sort of arena mode where I can test parry timings/quick steps, rolls etc. against enemies. I imagine soulsborne games are tougher on this but it's annoying trying to play "more creatively" or in a more entertaining/aggressive manner only to be punished for it because grandmaster parry timings are kinda tough. Stuff like the not-rancors on Dathomir have a leaping attack which is parriable but includes a follow-up that feels basically unparriable on reaction based on the attack animation itself (though I imagine the timing and wind-up are static). I do also wonder how punishment windows in the game work, say:
1. Parry/block an attack
2. Attack within the recovery window.
3. Do you get a static amount of stamina/health punishment in as long as you start your attack within the enemy's recovery window? It certainly feels like so.

Other things I keep wondering about is whether all parts of a string are parriable, and how many enemies have instakill counters. The spiders on Dathomir for example you can basically instakill on parrying on their leap attack, with no or barely any health deficit.

I'm still to finish my my first playthrough but I'm considering a second playthrough with no stims used and playing with a mouse and a keyboard. The lock feature in this game is such a shitfest in crowded fights and will not often lock into enemies that are not within your camera field of view even if they're in combat with you, so often it's more advisable to not even bother using the lock feature in crowded fights to keep a better sense of what's happening around you, and honestly mouse is probably better for this than pad. I'm pretty sure that quick steps don't work without a camera lock though?

Not sure if it's placebo but saber staff feels better in crowded fights often because it chains more easily to other enemies just because you punished one, and it feels like it has a shorter recovery animation than the single bladed one, allowing you to punish relatively safely in crowded fights and go back to blocking/rolling.

I should probably honestly finally give Soulsborne games a chance via Sekiro as soon as it's on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Dessel posted:

Other things I keep wondering about is whether all parts of a string are parriable
yeah, i dunno. if you dodge one part of an attack string you can parry another part in my experience. but it seems impossible to parry two attacks in a row for certain kinds of enemies, i think because of there being a hard delay between one parry and another. purge troopers, for instance, seem to be very good at loving you up after an initial parry because of how fast they attack, and it seems almost necessary to mix parrying and dodging with them.

Dessel posted:

I'm still to finish my my first playthrough but I'm considering a second playthrough with no stims used and playing with a mouse and a keyboard. The lock feature in this game is such a shitfest in crowded fights and will not often lock into enemies that are not within your camera field of view even if they're in combat with you, so often it's more advisable to not even bother using the lock feature in crowded fights to keep a better sense of what's happening around you, and honestly mouse is probably better for this than pad. I'm pretty sure that quick steps don't work without a camera lock though?
mouse look with no combat lock is very effective, i can confirm.

Zane fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 19, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

When you're out of combat bring out the lightsaber and try spamming the block button. You'll quickly notice a significant delay between lowering a block and being able to raise it again. Really fast combos like the ones on the dual dagger Purge Troopers seem like they are absolutely meant to be too fast for you to parry more than once during it. But those enemies will also generally have a heavier, slower attack at the end of a quick combo that gives you time to lower and raise your block again even if you were blocking for the rest of it. To use the dagger Purge Trooper again, they'll do their quick combo but then pause for a second and end with a big spinning attack which you have time to parry even if you only blocked the rest of the attacks.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ash1138 posted:

some of those runbacks really suck rear end

I don't know if it's just because I have horrible spatial skills, but I have a hell of a time parsing the maps for zones in this. I'll spend like 5 minutes squinting at this 3D chart trying to figure out how the gently caress to get where I'm trying to go and end up relying upon trial and error in the end.

While I enjoy this game a lot just on the basis of "Star Wars game that looks gorgeous on an OLED and has a pretty decent plot" it really makes me think of how great it would be to have something like a KotOR with these same visuals.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Zeffo navigation ends up being "use the ice caves and the elevators."

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I don't know if it's just because I have horrible spatial skills, but I have a hell of a time parsing the maps for zones in this. I'll spend like 5 minutes squinting at this 3D chart trying to figure out how the gently caress to get where I'm trying to go and end up relying upon trial and error in the end.

I would definitely like "chart a fastest route with current upgrades to destination x" -feature. Like on the second planet there are two initial meditation spots near the large crashed ship: one in the tunnels, and one just before a slide. Dying repeatedly doing something around the crashed ship gets tiresome and I think the slide path is faster for getting back to the content but the path to that spot is so complicated from your own ship that I literally gave up trying to figure how to get there through the map.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Beat this on grandmaster and I agree with what Rodd wrote, it's got the skeleton of something good but you should just play on a lower difficulty and have fun messing around with force powers and flashy lightsaber moves.

The final segment of the game was criminally short. And afterwards they're like "This segment in particular you can never go back to, have fun hunting for meaningless cosmetics :byewhore:"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Anything I should be aware of for a point of no return?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Does Kal ever go from "Whoa, what are you doing BD???" to "Go for it BD" or is he just constantly confused about this very simple and repetitive task of opening crates? I'm about 20 in and he really needs to stop being so spooked by it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
He's stopped in my game. He says "go for it BD" and "here you go" and "anything good?" and stuff. Not surprised.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
In my game he's given a few more dialogue pieces at chests. One or two actually encouraging BD.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BD gets enough practice rooting around in chests that halfway through Kashyyk he develops the ability to do so with the Force while staying on your back.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bruceski posted:

BD gets enough practice rooting around in chests that halfway through Kashyyk he develops the ability to do so with the Force while staying on your back.

Only while underwater though.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It was a page or two ago but whoever said you should be able to use the force to calm some of the lesser wild-life down instead of having to slay them all is right. I mean there's even moments where they actively become aggro'd by Imperials as a means of making the player cautious of certain attacks and it would have been cool to tame some of them kind of like in Horizon Zero Dawn.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Man they really cram a lot into the ending of the game. The pace goes way up and then BAM the game is over. Kinda sucks to end as it was picking up.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Only while underwater though.

The underwater stuff feels like it was added at the last second. No animation for BD going into the crate despite dialogue and box animations for it, the incredibly slow non-sprint movement speed, and I’m pretty sure I could hold my breathe long enough to get all the underwater crates.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm stuck on the Padawan section where I have to jump to my master's position while a clone trooper shoots at me for practice. I see nowhere to jump to. I am completely at a loss. The game seems too new for any walkthroughs to exist for this yet.

Any ideas?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

blue squares posted:

I'm stuck on the Padawan section where I have to jump to my master's position while a clone trooper shoots at me for practice. I see nowhere to jump to. I am completely at a loss. The game seems too new for any walkthroughs to exist for this yet.

Any ideas?

The wall has ledges.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

wiegieman posted:

The wall has ledges.

Am I just supposed to guess where they are? Everything looks the same to me. I am paranoid about maybe I am experiencing a bug. I have seen on reddit people not having certain things load, preventing them from progressing until they reset their PS4. I had the same thing yesterday

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

blue squares posted:

Am I just supposed to guess where they are? Everything looks the same to me. I am paranoid about maybe I am experiencing a bug. I have seen on reddit people not having certain things load, preventing them from progressing until they reset their PS4. I had the same thing yesterday

Does Amazon offer two hour delivery on compressed air cans???

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

blue squares posted:

There are panels pushing out of the wall you can grab onto. They’re between the darker areas the panels moved away from. I missed them on my first jump because I thought the ledge would be in the grey area

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Dogen posted:

There are panels pushing out of the wall you can grab onto. They’re between the darker areas the panels moved away from. I missed them on my first jump because I thought the ledge would be in the grey area

I can kind of see them but still can't manage to land the jump. This is loving ridiculous. I am playing on Jedi Master, and I am NOT good at video games, and I have beaten some bosses in fewer attempts. lmao wtf

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Oh what the gently caress. Once I parried a blaster bolt back at the clone trooper, then the master gave me some new blocks. Thank gently caress I tried that. It seems that no matter how many times I attempted the jump, it would have been impossible since that was not what I was supposed to be doing.

What a terribly designed section of the game.

edit: the funny thing is that I did parry a bolt back at him, but it did no damage and had no effect. So I figured it was pointless. I guess you have to send TWO bolts back at him for some reason

blue squares fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 20, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

blue squares posted:

Oh what the gently caress. Once I parried a blaster bolt back at the clone trooper, then the master gave me some new blocks. Thank gently caress I tried that. It seems that no matter how many times I attempted the jump, it would have been impossible since that was not what I was supposed to be doing.

What a terribly designed section of the game.

Yeah I was confused about what I was meant to be doing here as well.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Beat it, really liked it. Though I do think that being a big Star Wars fan i'm being a lot kinder to it than others would. The combat felt good, obviously it's basically Sekiro-lite but it's entertaining throughout, some really good boss fights and the story was well done with some fun characters, apart from the very end there was nothing too fan servicey (I mean yes you play a Jedi etc but there's not much pulling from the films) which was nice. Probably the weakest part was the world design as i felt the back tracking was more annoying than interesting (it needed fast travel) with a really bad map to boot.

As most reviews have stated it definitely could have used a few more months just to polish it up. Apart from the graphical hitches it's little things like when BD is looting through chests and Cal tells him to go take a look while the droid has basically finished searching, if you talk to a character and face away from them Cal's head will rotate an an unnerving angle to keep looking at them, and even little details for example it would have been cool if like in Jedi Outcast your saber would burn whatever it simply came in contact with as opposed to when you slash with it, that gave it such an aura of power. And I suppose as is the case with any game where you have a lightsaber it sometimes feels like you're simply wielding an electric stick but that's obviously a gameplay balance decision. One of the gripes i had was that the bits of lore you find are too basic, like you'll find an echo and a little text box will appear with some lore like "This person fled here and died in this cave" with the option to read about it in your logs, but the logs are always just that same bit of text and it's there where they should at least expand on that and go into more detail. Also going out of your way to find a hidden path and your reward merely being a new ship color is kinda disappointing the 10th time it happens.

Also that lady's eyes sure were buggy.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 20, 2019

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

If I like this game and find it a fun challenge, but doable, should I try Sekiro? I have always shied away from the Souls games because I typically prefer an easier, more story-driven game. I often play games on normal or even an easier difficulty so I can just relax and have fun. But learning bosses and finally beating them, my heart racing, has been a lot of fun. Yet I am worried that with Sekiro, it'll just be too hard.

I don't have great reflexes and find parrying in ANY game a challenge. If Sekiro is going to rely on me having great reflexes and timing, it might be too hard for me

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

blue squares posted:

If I like this game and find it a fun challenge, but doable, should I try Sekiro? I have always shied away from the Souls games because I typically prefer an easier, more story-driven game. I often play games on normal or even an easier difficulty so I can just relax and have fun. But learning bosses and finally beating them, my heart racing, has been a lot of fun. Yet I am worried that with Sekiro, it'll just be too hard.

I don't have great reflexes and find parrying in ANY game a challenge. If Sekiro is going to rely on me having great reflexes and timing, it might be too hard for me

Sekiro is going to kick your rear end but it's my joint GOTY with Death Stranding so I say play it and hang in the PS4 thread for assistance. It's a VERY difficult game, but it's fair and plays wonderfully. You might find that you become good at parrying since it's really snappy which makes timing more natural imo.

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 20, 2019

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
lol that Fallen Order didn't make the cut off for this year's game awards because the reviewers didn't have enough time and also because it's a 2019 release it won't qualify for next year's game awards

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Just Chamber posted:

Also that lady's eyes sure were buggy.

Debra Wilson is a bit naturally buggy.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Bruceski posted:

Debra Wilson is a bit naturally buggy.

I wondered that and watched an interview with her to see for myself, they're nowhere near that level, it was a little distracting.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

blue squares posted:

Sekiro's parrying mechanics can be more unforgiving than this games but them being far better in execution makes it easier than parrying in this game, which often times feels like a crapshoot. Even with bad reflexes sekiro is doable, its more about learning the fight and not giving up

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
This game breaks a bunch of rules for good combat and one of them is that the 'red aura' period for unblockables is different depending on the move. One of the reasons that the monsters aren't fun to fight is that they generally have multiple unblockables and the red aura appears for varying amounts of time before them, so players have difficulty with the timing and can't merely react to the aura.

Brawlers should never, never, never do this. If the enemy flashes or otherwise signals that it's going to attack that "flash" should always be the same amount of time before the attack across every move and enemy in the game. For example if a player hears the "I'm attacking" sound in Bayonetta they can literally dodge the attack from muscle memory regardless of where it's from, this makes the game much more fair as monsters can attack from off-screen and can be reacted to.

Speaking of off-screen, it's generally considered extremely bad form to have monsters attack from off-screen with no way to know what their attack timing or blocking is - most games have offscreen monsters try to move to get onscreen as fast as they can so they make their attacks - this game has no compunction about launching some rear end in a top hat at the player from off screen with a small buzzing noise or growl or whatever that can get drowned out by the other sound effects of the fight and just expecting the player to Deal With It. This combat system is very rough and needed some expertise from very experienced developers who have made high-rated brawlers prior.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Just Chamber posted:

I wondered that and watched an interview with her to see for myself, they're nowhere near that level, it was a little distracting.

It was a little distracting in some scenes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I think my biggest issue is the rotational speed of enemies. For example the Albino Spider is able to consistently rotate to keep me in front of it even after I hit it with my slow power. If the tracking wasn’t so brutal I feel like a lot of these fights would be better.

Game is still good though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Just had the second fight with Second Sister and good lord the saber duels in this game are fantastic. Absolute peak so far, gameplay-wise.

Also great story-wise, because Second Sister's VA is just having the absolute time of their life every time they open their mouth and I love it.

edit: Is she going to poo poo-talk me for this entire tomb/dungeon? Please tell me she is. :allears:

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 20, 2019

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This game breaks a bunch of rules for good combat and one of them is that the 'red aura' period for unblockables is different depending on the move. One of the reasons that the monsters aren't fun to fight is that they generally have multiple unblockables and the red aura appears for varying amounts of time before them, so players have difficulty with the timing and can't merely react to the aura.

Brawlers should never, never, never do this. If the enemy flashes or otherwise signals that it's going to attack that "flash" should always be the same amount of time before the attack across every move and enemy in the game. For example if a player hears the "I'm attacking" sound in Bayonetta they can literally dodge the attack from muscle memory regardless of where it's from, this makes the game much more fair as monsters can attack from off-screen and can be reacted to.

Speaking of off-screen, it's generally considered extremely bad form to have monsters attack from off-screen with no way to know what their attack timing or blocking is - most games have offscreen monsters try to move to get onscreen as fast as they can so they make their attacks - this game has no compunction about launching some rear end in a top hat at the player from off screen with a small buzzing noise or growl or whatever that can get drowned out by the other sound effects of the fight and just expecting the player to Deal With It. This combat system is very rough and needed some expertise from very experienced developers who have made high-rated brawlers prior.

The thing that annoys me with the combat is that it's inconsistent when I hit an enemy, whether or not it will break them out of their attack animation or not but even a basic storm trooper hitting you with his blaster causes you to stumble out of whatever you are doing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

SirSamVimes posted:

Just had the second fight with Second Sister and good lord the saber duels in this game are fantastic. Absolute peak so far, gameplay-wise.

It feels like a weird gripe for me, but I think the lower difficulty levels could be a little better for the boss duels. I'm proud of the fact that I'm generally competent at the second lowest difficulty for once, but those seem an order of magnitude tougher than the rest of the game, I'm just constantly getting my rear end handed to me because the other fights don't require such honed reflexes. But I tried changing it to the easiest level, and they really nailed "story mode" - you could pretty much just stand still and shrug off a dozen power attacks in a row. That seems a bit much even for a baby jedi like me.

e: I should clarify, they're awesome and big highlights, I'm just very bad at them :sweatdrop:

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I know UE4 and asset loading and this game in particular is problematic but I measured a couple of times where I had loading time of just shy of 3 minutes on the final boss of Dathomir. On PC. Loading from an SSD. When a previous load time could've been just short of 10 seconds.

Something is really hosed up with this game.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Has anyone played the Xbox One X enhanced versions of KotOR or Jedi Academy? They're both $10 each on the XBox Store but I didn't know if I should bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I dunno about Xbox One X Enhanced, but I'd be willing to pay :tenbux: for Jedi Academy regardless. It's a very good game.