Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Why is the Brotherhood such a dick to mutants and ghouls? I can't remember them being this hostile to them in the other games. Is it something unique to this chapter of the Brotherhood and FO4?

Edit: update on previous page. No to the Brotherhood, yes to Valentine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

queserasera posted:

Why is the Brotherhood such a dick to mutants and ghouls? I can't remember them being this hostile to them in the other games. Is it something unique to this chapter of the Brotherhood and FO4?

Edit: update on previous page. No to the Brotherhood, yes to Valentine.

A quick glance suggests that the Brotherhood from the beginning weren't fond of Ghouls because they believed ghouls tended to tinker around with (and damage) technology, which of course the Brotherhood holds sacrosanct. As for their stance on Mutants them being ideologically opposed to them appears to be new to FO4.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So far, Hancock has been a good buddy for Nate, and the Brotherhood have just demanded things of him. We're not going to abandon a friend for the allure of some weird technology cult. Let's go back and see what Nick wants.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Ignore racists, get freedom

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nate and Hancock go for a walk to Goodneighbor to help Nick finish his investigation into the Institute's dead mercenary.

But first, they spot these green bloodstains leading into a cave.

Hancock leads the way, and gets fired on by a space alien with a pistol firing balls of blue energy! He blows it up with the missile launcher. The mayor now has a new favourite weapon, the alien blaster, which deals half as much damage as the missile launcher but can be fired rapidly. Unfortunately, the ammo will be impossible to replenish.

This crashed flying saucer explains the fireball spotted flying through the Commonwealth recently.

They come across some remarkably well-armed Super Mutants being attacked by Brotherhood knights. Hancock charges in with his missile launcher to show the metal men that a ghoul can fight better than they can.

In Diamond City, one of the guards tries to give Hancock a hard time for being a ghoul, but they just ignore him. A woman outside the Dugout Inn offers to buy him a drink, but it turns out she's not flirting - she's looking for information about her missing father, Henry Cooke. Nate decides it would be safer not to mention that Cooke died while Nate was helping him to ambush and rob a gang of chem dealers, so he says he doesn't know what happened.

Hancock tests his new toy in battle against a Super Mutant and it works extremely well.

Brotherhood Vertibirds are now flying all over the Commonwealth, battling every hostile thing they spot. The rain of crashing Vertibirds is now a major threat. (Because Vertibirds use the dragon flight AI from Skyrim, they try to crash into the player when going down, even if the Brotherhood is friendly.)

Hancock has noticed how the Brotherhood indiscriminately kills ghouls, and doesn't bother making sure that the target is feral. The Brotherhood used to be all about technology, but now they seem to be about preserving humanity and hate Mutants, Synths, and ghouls. The East Coast Brotherhood in Fallout 3 wanted to help people, so they fought the Mutants and feral ghouls in D.C. This led to them deciding any nonhuman that can use technology is a threat, hence their genocidal tendencies in Fallout 4.

Nick Valentine has again waited for Nate to be there before making a grand entrance to the Memory Den.

They go downstairs and meet the brain expert, Dr. Amari, and ask for help getting memories from the dead merc's head.

She's not happy with the idea, but Nate convinces her.

Amari knows all about human-machine brain interfaces, and she realizes she can use Kellogg's cybernetic brain implant to make his memories viewable to a Synth and human working together. Nick and Nate are perfect candidates.

Nate goes through the story of Kellogg's life, looking for a memory that will show the way to the Institute.

Kellogg had a wife and daughter, before the Institute murdered them.

After years as a feared hitman, in the end, he ended up working for the Institute and applying his talents to more difficult hits.

Days before Kellogg's death, he was ordered to track down and kill a rogue Institute scientist named Brian Virgil. He was in hiding in the Glowing Sea, a place too radioactive for any sane person to enter.

The memory reveals how people enter and exit the Institute: Teleportation.

Amari suggests finding Virgil and asking for help teleporting into the Institute, but Nate will need to find a way to safely travel through the radioactive Glowing Sea while still being able to fight.

Hancock shares the story of how he became mayor of Goodneighbor, by killing the tyrant thugs and then hanging their leader from a balcony.

Nick is recovering from having his brain used as an interface with a dead man's memories. He talks to Nate with Kellogg's voice, before returning to normal with no memories of saying that. Amari was able to link his Synth mind with Nate's human brain. She'd even be able to upload Curie's mind into a humanlike Synth body.

Finding the Institute will have to wait until Nate can find a way across the Glowing Sea. So what should he do next?

Help Curie become human, help Nick with a different case, follow the Freedom Trail, or merc work for Edward Deegan?

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Nick’s a pretty cool guy. We should help him out.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
Nick's returning role was a hit with all of our audiences, and as much as we'd like to continue on with Nick's story, putting him in action now while he recovers wouldn't match Nate's character. Nick's going to want to be part of it, so we need to give him time to recover while he fills in Nate on all the details of this next case. We'll want to keep our next plot thread short, but right nearby Nick and the Doctor- continuity is what people love these days.

Our viewers reacted very positively to the insight into Radsmoke's detailed medical science fiction, and who better to bring back than Curie, from our earliest episodes? Her voice actor has been in the modeling scene elsewhere during these last few seasons and she offered to come back, so let's bring Curie back in a side plot to get her a human-like body!

I'm voting to do Nick's quest after we help her.

Neodymium
Jun 23, 2012
I'm going to be contrarian, and vote for Edward Deegan's mercenary work for purely out-of-character metagaming reasons.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Let's help Curie become human (-ish).

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Make Curie a biped.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I didn't know you could do that for Curie so let's go!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Help Curie!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Help Curie!

Also I really wish that the little alien joined your party instead of randomly fighting to the death. What a waste.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nate and Hancock go to Diamond City to tell Curie the good news, killing a Legendary Super Mutant Brute along the way - probably the toughest enemy they've faced so far.

Curie reacts like an excited tourist when she sees the Old State House in Goodneighbor, then they head to the Memory Den. Doctor Amari is surprised by Curie's plan, but she suggests a way. Sometimes performing memory wipes on Synths can leave them comatose, and she knows a caretaker to one sucuh Synth. Curie wants to stay there to have the procedure performed as soon as the caretaker approves, so Nate heads off to explore the town.

This prewar ghoul is a big fan of the Silver Shroud radio play, and he wishes there could be a superhero like the Silver Shroud to help people. He asks Nate to find the Silver Shroud costume from the ruins of Hubris Comics.

Marowski knows that Nate is the one who robbed him. He demands 2,000 caps within a week, or he'll get nasty. Nate has 13,000 caps. He could easily kill Marowski, at the risk of antagonizing the town. KLEO the Assaultron is the only thing in town with enough firepower to pose a threat, but she's always at her shop near the entrance to Goodneighbor.

One of the wiseguys in town mentions that Whitechapel Charlie, the robot bartender, is hiring for some local mercenary work.

Nate returns to Diamond City to help out with Valentine's two other open cases. First up is a missing bartender named Earl Sterling.

Nate gets permission to search the man's shack for clues. He collects Earl's cigarettes, his medicine, the gun under his pillow, and eventually finds a receipt from the Mega Surgery Center.

Dr. Sun says that Earl was supposed to get surgery from Doc Crocker, but disappeared shortly before it was supposed to take place. He happily allows Nate into the basement where Crocker operates.

It turns out Earl went missing because he died in a botched cosmetic surgery, and then Doc Crocker decided to chop up the body to hide it.

When Nate confronts Crocker, the mad doc kills himself. Case closed. (There's no way to end this without Crocker's death)

Next up is a recording from an old associate of Valentine, who told him about a note atop Faneuil Hall that leads to 500-year-old buried treasure. Since Curie is waiting for her brain transplant, Nate asks Nick to come along. Nick tells the story of how he became Diamond City's detective after years as the handyman, after he found the mayor's kidnapped daughter.

They encounter a number of raiders on the way to Faneuil Hall, a short distance from Goodneighbor. Nate hangs back to let Nick do most of the fighting, and equips him with a looted laser rifle. (Curie can't talk while waiting in Doctor Amari's office, so all the good weapons are temporarily unavailable)

Faneuil Hall is overrun with Super Mutants. Nate hears the distinct ticking of a Suicider, and runs off to let Nick tank the atomic explosion.

Level 24 perk: Scrounger 3 (Level 24, 2 Luck)

The much bigger and stronger Super Mutants was torn to shreds, but Valentine just needs one stimpak to keep going.

Nate kills a Super Mutant carrying a Missile Launcher and four missiles, then they head into the hall. Nick easily dispatches the first wave of Super Mutants while Nate cowers in the corner.

A novice computer terminal lets Nate unleash three Protectrons to attack the greenskins. A legendary Super Mutant Brute destroys two of them before being killed by lasers.

The legendary loot he carried was a fantastic fortifying left leg, which provides extra strength and HP. It's not as good as Nate's piece that increases his sprint speed, but it'll be great for a follower that can wear armour.

Nate heads upstairs and gets slammed with an automatic weapon ripping away his health. For the first time, his health drops below 20%, and the Martyr's armour makes him see time in slow motion so he can turn and run. Nick stands and fights and gets taken down, but he fights long enough to let Nate get away and heal.

It's another Legendary Super Mutant Brute, and it can kill Nate in a hurry. This is where the shotgun build truly shines: A blast at long range is enough to stagger the Brute for a second, long enough for Nate to get back in cover. Once he's ready and his shotgun is fully loaded, he hits it, then charges in to close range while the Mutant stumbles. This thing came closer to killing Nate than anything else, and its legendary loot was a piece of leg armour that provides extra protection against insects and crustaceans. Oh well.

Valentine gets another stimpak, and Nate sends him upstairs to clear the way once again.

Although Marty somehow got past all the Super Mutants and onto the roof, he never made it back down. I wonder how he managed it while wearing a tuxedo.

This is the Gilded Grasshopper, it's made of copper and gold and contains a note promising a fortune in Shem Drowne's grave. Nick knows exactly where that is, and it's nearby.

Nick easily kills the ghouls in the graveyard, and Nate digs up the ancient skeleton. The grave contains gold, silver, and copper ingots - the loot will sell for about 1,000 caps in all. He also had a sword made of radium, which is useless to Nate but kinda intriguing.

Doctor Amari should be ready by now, so Nate returns to Goodneighbor. The comatose Synth's caretaker is happy to try this mind upload - she cares about the Synth, but keeping it on life support is hopeless and expensive.

Curie's old body collapses as her mind is successfully downloaded onto Amari's computer and then uploaded into the Synth.

The former robot instinctively knows how to walk in her human body, although she hasn't mastered letting her body breathe autonomously. (I couldn't breathe automatically for a week once, and it was awful - I needed an oxygen tube to sleep.) She experiences emotion for the first time. The mind transfer worked!

Level 25 perk: +1 Perception (Now 4)

Curie is objectively the best follower at the moment. She has 87 damage resistance and 748 health, compared to 79 DR and 411 HP for Nate, or 45 and 325 for Nick. Almost dying because Nick couldn't kill the Super Mutants fast enough was a sobering experience, so now Nate will be sure to always travel with a follower who has the best weapons and plenty of ammo.

Should Nate kill Marowski or pay him off?

Should Nate shoot people for Whitechapel Charlie, make a special delivery for Edward Deegan, become the Silver Shroud, or find the Railroad on the freedom trail?

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Pay off Markowski. No need to antagonize an entire town, and Nate’s not hurting for caps.

And definitely Become the Silver Shroud!!!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

1.Be a Goodneighbor and pay
2.silver shroud

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Mayor Hancock was a fine character, but the script demanded he give his farewell to Nate to take care of his duties as mayor again.

Unfortunately, Mr. Valentine is still a bit harrowed by that dreadful accident on set, (all responsible were promptly released from employment). He told us he was planning on writing a novel, and if anything it showed him that he'd do best if he wrote it now while he still can. We gladly shook his hand- him coming back was something we never expected and the show has become all the better from his presence. He'll only reprise short roles in the future from now on, if he comes back as he noted that he would be dreadfully busy.

On the other hand, Curie is a huge hit with our viewer since her return and she's more than ready to stick along as Nate's partner in futuristic wasteland travels. For now, Nate's going to make a quiet exit from the city and pay off Markowski- it was an old plot thread that needed to be tied up-

Hold on, I just received some very good news! The owners of the classic, dramatic, SIlver Shroud series approved our licensing request- we can do the crossover episodes with Nate as the Silver Shroud! The owners just love Radsmoke, and they leapt on the offer as soon as we managed to get in personal touch with them. Curie's all in on it too, as that classic series is one of her absolute favorites of all time! This'll be a season to remember!

Malah
May 18, 2015

Pay
Go with Eddie Deegan's job

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't really care what happens with Markowski, but we should definitely become an old-timey superhero.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
Silver Shroud, Silver Shroud, Silver Shroud. Best part of Fallout 4.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Pay Marararakowawowski
And take on the mantle OF THE SILVEEER SHROOOUD!

The Silver Shroud quest really is Fo4's high point, and perhaps one of the times the dude PC's voice acting is better than the lady's.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
How did you temporarily lose your ability to breathe automatically??

Pay off
Silver Shroud

This is a fun thread. I have half a billion hours in one file of this stupid game, but you're being forced to use playstyles I didn't, so I'm still seeing new things!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

First things first, Nate goes to Marowski and pays him off. He still has a pile of caps and the loot from Shem Drowne's grave, so he spends about 6,000 caps on the Devastator's Greave, an upgraded version of the time-slowing Martyr's Right Leg. I'm still amazed by Nate's luck finding such a good piece of armour, though on the other hand he has yet to loot a worthwhile legendary shotgun.

Nate's out of water, so he buys all of The Third Rail's water. Charlie explains the mercenary job a bit more - clearing three warehouses of Triggermen, for 400 caps.

Then there's a quick detour to Vault 114 to fill some empty bottles of Purified Water, and then he can go to become... The Silver Shroud!

Hubris Comics is full of ferals, but Curie can easily defeat them by filling a room with exploding bullets. They make their way upstairs, finding comic memorabilia, and notes that describe the clash between movie studios and artists; The Silver Shroud movie's lead writer quit because they wanted to replace one of the actress with a pretty damsel-in-distress.

Curie goes ahead to the top floor, and fights a Glowing One that had been hiding behind a screen near the Silver Shroud costume. When the powerful zombie is dead, Nate collects the costume and returns to Kent.

The people of Goodneighbor are familiar with the Silver Shroud, because Kent loves to broadcast old recordings of the show. Kent explains that he wants someone to don the costume and battle evildoers through the city. The first target is a known murderer named Wayne DeLancy. Nate agrees, and becomes the Silver Shroud.

Wayne: "What the hell's wrong with you? Well, nothing a few bullets won't cure."

The Silver Shroud uses a shotgun instead of his customary silver submachine gun, but his beguiling French sidekick wields a tommy gun of much greater power.

After each kill, the Silver Shroud drops a calling card on the villain's body.

The next rapscallion is AJ, a chem dealer who increased his profits by selling to children.

AJ: "Oh, for Christ's sake, did Kent put you up to this? He keeps moaning about the poor little kids. Tell you what, I'll pay you 50 caps just to shut up about it. And maybe get Kent off my back, all right?"

Silver Shroud: Stop selling to children, miscreant! Or face my wrath!

Curie: What you are doing is quite illegal.

AJ: Screw you. Waste the freak!

Curie may not know how to intimidate anyone, but she can certainly win a gunfight against 3 lightly armoured guards.

Level 26 perk: Perception +1 (Now 5)
Now Nate can finally take the Demolition Expert perk to boost the power of explosive weapons.

Curie thanks the Silver Shroud for all he's done. He gives her some advice about what it is to be human, and then tries flirting with her. Curie blushes and then says her skin must be malfunctioning.

Charlie: The Shroud, then? More like a nutter. Kendra is not one to be trifled with. People associated with her have a habit of being found facedown in a ditch. If you're set on meeting her, for a fee it can be arranged.

Silver Shroud: It is not wise to stand between the Shroud and righteous justice!

Charlie: Haha. Justice? You mean to end her? In that case, her flat's just south of Goodneighbor. Water Street Apartments.

Kendra's evil henchmen prove easy to defeat up close, as they focus on Curie and struggle to inflict any damage on her Gen 3 Synth body.

A cleverly hidden frag mine injures the Silver Shroud, especially as his armour provides only half the protection the best equipment could provide. He heals up and moves swiftly to confront Kendra.

Kendra: Wayne DeLancy's killer. You have no idea who you're dealing with. I do so like it when the little bug crawls willingly into the spider's web.

Silver Shroud: You have taken your last life, villain!

Kendra: You stole my line.

Six shots to the chest do away with the despicable Kendra, and the Shroud returns to his haunt in Goodneighbor.

The Shroud must see the Mayor, but he has left the city and is in an old raider hideout near Diamond City! Hancock explains that the Shroud's targets have all been part of the same vicious raider gang, and their leader Sinjin wants him dead.

Confronting a large gang of high-level raiders? A blazing battle that could prove too dangerous for the Silver Shroud. This is a job for... ArmouredJustice Man! The first raider leader is expecting ArmouredJustice man to walk up and have a conversation, like the famed Silver Shroud, but ArmouredJustice Man prefers a well-placed grenade over words.

Kate taunts ArmouredJustice Man even as she runs away from him, but with his superior sprinting speed he catches and dispatches the monster.

Level 27 perk: Solar Powered 2 (Level 27, 10 Endurance)
This perk heals Nate's radiation when standing in direct sunlight. It's convenient because healing small amounts of radiation means either taking Radaway and sleeping, or finding a doctor. It's good timing because Nate just ran out of fresh corn from Vault 81. From now on, he hopefully won't need to sleep anymore, because replacing sleep entirely with caffeine maintains Adrenaline's 50% damage bonus.

The next raider leader, Northy, runs like a coward and prays for his life when Curie dispatches his bodyguards. But a recording on his body describes Sinjin's dastardly plan to kidnap Kent the kindly caretaker of Silver Shroud radio!

In his rush back to Goodneighbor, ArmoredJustice Man makes the terrible mistake of brushing against a parked car. The physics engine violently adjusts the car's position and deals about 500 damage to our tough hero! (I hadn't encountered this bug since installing the unofficial Fallout 4 patch, but touching a parked car will often kill you instantly because car physics is a mess in this game. I'm amazed Nate survived, I had no idea it was possible to have enough HP to tank the damage from this glitch. If it had killed him, I wouldn't have counted it, since that's obviously not in the spirit of this run)

The direct path to Goodneighbor passes through a battle between a legendary raider and several Super Mutants, so Curie fights them while ArmouredJustice Man sits in a stairwell and shoots anyone who comes too close.

The Shroud returns to the Memory Den to inquire about the whereabouts of brave Ken - but zounds! In his haste he forgot to remove ArmourJustice Man's sunglasses, revealing that the heavily armoured figure of vengeance is nought but an alter-ego! Irma tells the Shroud where Sinjin has gone - a hospital in South Boston. The farther south one goes, the more dangerous it gets, but Kent must be rescued from these barbarians.

On the way there, ArmouredJustice Man and Curie encounter a massive battle between Super Mutants and the Brotherhood of Steel. Curie rushes forward to fight, while ArmouredJustice Man fights at a safe distance with his laser rifle.

The Brotherhood's flying machine crashes into a pile of junked cars with fission engines, causing a spectacular explosion that brings down Curie from a long distance.

This is Curie's first experience of serious injury, and she's grateful when ArmouredJustice Man heals her with a stimpak. Meanwhile, the Super Mutants go to the vertibird and pick up their fallen laser rifles and ammo. The greenskins normally fight with terrible guns, but now there are extremely tough foes with elite weaponry.

The enemies facing ArmouredJustice Man are horrific - an overlevelled Super Mutant Master with an upgraded minigun, and THREE legendary Super Mutant Enforcers with strong guns. Curie is taken down again during the retreat to a nearby gas station. These enemies are too powerful to flee - the Master's minigun will kill ArmouredJustice Man because he can escape its range.

But the combat shotgun is the king of short-range fighting, and Super Mutants are stupid. ArmouredJustice Man takes cover behind a variety of corners and waits for each Mutant in turn to come around the corner at point-blank range.

Level 28 perk: Demolition Expert (5 Perception)
25% extra explosives damage, a nice weapon for those occasional scenarios where Nate can ambush a group of bad guys with a grenade.

ArmouredJustice Man maneuvers around the monsters to revive Curie and sends her against the remaining legendary Super Mutant. She sets off a car's explosive engine and gives a warning to back away.

With the monsters defeated and Curie healed again, it's time to inspect the battlefield and loot the bodies. There are so many corpses of raiders, Brotherhood soldiers, and Super Mutants. It seems they were attracted by a faint distress call from a man whose family is trapped inside their bunker.

It turns out the family is long-dead, and the distress call was looping since the war.

ArmouredJustice Man proceeds to the hospital and easily fights through all the raiders on the upper floors.

Sinjin is holding Kent hostage, and tells ArmouredJustice Man that he knows he is the Silver Shroud, an in fact an ordinary man wearing an old flea-ridden costume. He threatens to kill Kent, and then kill Nate and all of Goodneighobr.

Nate taunts Sinjin to kill him first and leave Kent for after their battle.

Talking it out while surrounded in an open space was not the best plan, because Nate gets shot up enough for time to slow down in a warning of imminent death. He sprints into the corner with the best cover, blows away the raider Avery, and then waits to heal as Curie fights out in the open.

By the time he's healed, Curie has killed Sinjin's second-in-command, and Nate brings Justice to Sinjin himself.

Kent is grateful and wants to stop the Silver Shroud operation, but Nate convinces him to keep the spirit of the Shroud alive. As for Nate, he can't keep patrolling the Commonwealth in the Shroud's inferior armour, even though Kent offers to upgrade it.

On the way to see Hancock again, Nate sees a beautiful herd of radstags migrating across an old road. He shoots them all - people in Diamond City need to eat, and there aren't many vegans in the post-apocalypse.

Hancock is grateful to the man who was once known as the Silver Shroud, and pays Nate an enormous 750 caps.

The mantle of Silver Shroud must be passed on. Perhaps his one-time sidekick could don the shadowy cloak of righteousness. The Silver Shroud armour is about 40 pounds lighter than Curie's armour; it would make her slightly less tough, and she'd lose the bonus 10% to sprinting speed. Should Curie become the Silver Shroud, or wear the best armour she can find?

Is Nate's next job merc work for Hancock, courier for Deegan, or following the Freedom Trail?

sudonim posted:

How did you temporarily lose your ability to breathe automatically??

I had a pulmonary embolism so I had a breathing tube for two days, and when they took it out, my brain had forgotten how to breathe subconsciously.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Chamale posted:

I had a pulmonary embolism so I had a breathing tube for two days, and when they took it out, my brain had forgotten how to breathe subconsciously.

Oh my. I hope everything is better now?

I say Keep better armor and Be a courier

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Argh! The editors should of caught this!

Keep the better armor and walk the Freedom Trail

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Keep her in the best armor this update had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many close calls for an Ironman run.
Walk the Trail

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Keep her in good armor and go work for Hancock

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Good armor and let's finally get to Deegan.

I don't use vats often in this game but I'll always use it to shoot the mini nuke in a Suicider's hands.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

What an exceptional result from our crossover! Our views are at an all time high the profits have greatly improved our budget- more special effects, more costumes, more location filming! The Silver Shroud's return to the wasteland was an undeniable, action-packed, tension-filled success!

Alas, all things must end at some point as the licensing only allowed for one season's worth of crossover episodes. Our budget has more than enough to afford a contract with the owners of the Silver Shroud, but our writers are incensed by the new options available to them and want to go for another ambitious project for the next season: Radsmoke's trek down the Freedom Trail.

Besides, while Nate enjoyed taking up the shroud, he's mentioned that he'd like to continue his original persona. It's unique to him, and its what our viewers love to see- and we couldn't agree more.

Our new addition to the cast, Curie, has been enjoying the time on set and in her new role as well. She's come to us saying she's been coming up with new designs for her costume, leaning towards efficiency while also making her look impressive during wasteland battles. Since she's always about engaging the enemy and protecting Nate, there was no hesitation to let her work with our costuming team. Curie will have the best armor we can get- we have the funding for it!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Stick with the best armor money can buy and head down the Freedom Trail.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Omnicrom posted:

Oh my. I hope everything is better now?

Not entirely, it was five months ago and I'm still in poor health, but that's why I have the free time to update this LP almost every day!

SSNeoman posted:

this update had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many close calls for an Ironman run.

Anything that can knock down Curie can kill Nate even faster (except that I can use cover while Curie likes to stand around taking damage).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Screenshots don't do the Silver Shroud's dialogue justice. "I seek a miscreant named.................... KENDRA." :allears:

Anyway, let Curie get the best armour she can
and work a little for Hancock.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
It's really a shame you can't gear Nick out as the Shroud. That would be the real best move.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Chamale posted:

Not entirely, it was five months ago and I'm still in poor health, but that's why I have the free time to update this LP almost every day!
lovely! Hope you can recover, even if it's slowly.

I had a deviated septum corrected years ago, which left my nose packed with gauze for a week. I had to breath through my mouth, which wasn't my habit but could do easily enough when awake. The first few days when I tried to fell asleep, I would automatically close my mouth and try to breath through my nose, and couldn't. In my near-unconscious state, my brain interpreted this as "YOU'RE DROWNING" and I'd shoot back awake in a panic. So it's not much, but I can empathize with auto-breathing issues.

This continues to be a great LP. You even got me to reload my old lvl 100 character (god what's wrong with me) and poke around the Commonwealth a while. I even stumbled on a quest I hadn't known about before!

Also, this game takes on a whole new level of fun if you play it while living in Boston.

sudonim fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 21, 2019

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
For those of you unaware. This is exactly what old pre Comics Code Authority Detective Comics (DC) were like. A little bit of a setup followed by pages of the hero gunning down like 50 mobsters with a machinegun. Even the famously anti-gun anti-killing Batman wasn't immune.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 21, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Just want to say this is a great LP. How do I know it's great? Because I can't enjoy Fallout 4 at all despite numerous attempts, and this thread is making it look fun and interesting and engaging. All of which I think it probably *can* be with the right setup and mindset. So thanks!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nate can't bear to simply sell the Silver Shroud mantle, so he gives it to Hancock to wear until the day they might meet again.

A well-placed grenade near a pack of wild mongrels also blows up the car next to them.

level 29 perk: Demolition Expert 2 (Level 10, 5 perception)
This is the perk worth dumping those SPECIAL points into. With Demolition Expert 2, Nate sees a throwing arc when he prepares to throw a grenade to help him aim it.

This is what the throwing arc looks like. This gives Nate a bit more fighting ability at intermediate range, although it's not wise to fight tough enemies with grenades alone - the best bet is still charging in to shotgun range.

Tired of running out of purified water, Nate goes to the brewery where he once rescued Vadim to collect empty bottles. Other than shooting a couple weak raiders who hid in a backroom during all the initial fighting, the trip is uneventful.

He goes to use the water pump at a nearby settlement and fill all his bottles. This takes multiple hours of in-game time. Curie stands around in her ragtag mix of combat armour, metal armour, and clothing that boosts endurance (and HP).

The settlers want help with a nearby gang of raiders. They're located at the building where Nate ambushed Marowski's chems deal. Nate is still the General of the Minutemen, so he agrees to help.

Curie has another chat about emotions. Nate keeps flirting because it's free XP and he's literally too charismatic to fail.

The raiders are on the way to the Freedom Trail, and trivially weak, so Nate guns them down and keeps moving.

The Freedom Trail passes by Goodneighbor, where Nate stocks up on ammunition. This drifter seems to always be sweeping the filthy ground in Nate's vicinity.

The red line on the ground passes by locations that Nate's already cleared, such as Faneuil Hall.

He finds some dead raiders with a calling card left by a man named Pickman - someone who also seems very good at killing bad guys.

Finally the Freedom Trail leads to the catacombs of the historic Old North Church. If feral ghouls are simply humans who've absorbed too many rads, why are they found so often in graveyards and crypts?

The Railroad confronts Nate and demands to know how he found them. Their leader seems to fall for his quick-witted lie.

One of the Railroad members, Deacon, sings Nate's praises.

He describes the Silver Shroud episode and the Kellogg killing as Nate's two great accomplishments. I wonder if Nate had been on more noteworthy adventures, if Deacon would describe them all in one sitting.

With Curie by his side, Nate describes his knowledge of Synths, and how he has fought to protect them. Curie loves his conversation with Desdemona. She isn't ready to welcome him into the Railroad yet, but she says there's a mission he could take on with Deacon.

Level 30 perk: Demolition Expert 3 (Level 22, 5 Perception)
This perk increases the damage and blast radius of all explosives. Grenades are still not nearly as effective as the shotgun, but this makes them more useful against large groups of pesky enemies.

After three increasingly difficult Charisma checks, Deacon admits that with the Railroad is very low on numbers. The leader will surely allow Nate to join after one mission.

FairGame posted:

Just want to say this is a great LP. How do I know it's great? Because I can't enjoy Fallout 4 at all despite numerous attempts, and this thread is making it look fun and interesting and engaging. All of which I think it probably *can* be with the right setup and mindset. So thanks!

The gameplay has a lot going for it - it's unfortunate that they hid those things behind boring and repetitive bartering, crafting, and basebuilding. This challenge is a good way to remind myself I don't need to plant a massive crop of corn, mutfruit, and tatos to craft a full set of ultra-light polymer combat armour; I can just play with what I pick up. The distinct follower personalities are phenomenal and I love it when they chime in on a conversation.

Should Nate and Curie join the Railroad or decline? (The Railroad will remain neutral if our heroes don't want to join)

Should their next job be the Railroad mission, Edward Deegan's contract, Hancock's warehouse clearing, or more settlements for the Minutemen?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Decline joining these yahoos
Take the Deegan contract

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Decline Deacon, do Deegan's deed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman