Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

No mods no masters, is my eloquent and definitely well thought out reply

Just completely for no reason whatsoever, do you have plat? And if you don't, would you shoot me a PM with your e-mail, please? Like... apropos of absolutely nothing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Are we having a cabal? Can I join?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

:golfclap:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Goon Danton posted:

It's why I keep trying to get him into other topics beyond the ones we've beaten to death. I want to hear what he thinks antifa is, or what he thinks money is. Something, anything other than playing Achilles and the Racism Tortoise about his faves.

Yeah same, I want to talk about how he discredits his own ideas or whether he thi is there is a single thing that isn't best distributed by the free market, not whether it's a weird coincidence that all of his role models say racist things and yet can't be racist somehow.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Alhazred posted:

Jrid acts like its a gotcha question where's there no right answers. But I would honestly be satisfied with yes,I think CP should be criminalized".

Did you read any of the eripsa threads?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Same except trans kids and puberty blockers

That jrod won't give the answer of his actual position kind of implies what that position is, but it's interesting that he is actually embarrassed enough by his position to lie about it given the poo poo he's willing to post.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TLM3101 posted:

Just completely for no reason whatsoever, do you have plat? And if you don't, would you shoot me a PM with your e-mail, please? Like... apropos of absolutely nothing?

I don't, so I can't send a pm, but the email on the account is edit removed gently caress you stalkers

I'd tell you to get at me on Twitter but I'm suspended for a week because I said I hope fishmech gets hit by a bus so I can't dm people I don't follow and I can't follow new people

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 19, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Feinne posted:

That jrod won't give the answer of his actual position kind of implies what that position is, but it's interesting that he is actually embarrassed enough by his position to lie about it given the poo poo he's willing to post.

Hey now he has no problem with trans people, which is definitely not something bigots say when they know they're wrong

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Strawman posted:

Did you read any of the eripsa threads?

What's that?:ohdear:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Alhazred posted:

Somewhere eripsa finds a marble

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I don't, so I can't send a pm, but the email on the account is Hahahahanope, not leaving this here.

I'd tell you to get at me on Twitter but I'm suspended for a week because I said I hope fishmech gets hit by a bus so I can't dm people I don't follow and I can't follow new people

I'm not on Twitter, because a) I'm old, and b) it's a blighted hellscape. Feel free to remove the spoiler at your leisure, and enjoy.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Alhazred posted:

The fact that you don't know indicates that Eripsa's concept has failed under its own rules. After all, the Attention Economy Cannot Be Gamed.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Hey now he has no problem with trans people, which is definitely not something bigots say when they know they're wrong

His transphobia at this point is potentially at the actual 'phobia' stage, especially whenever he drives past an abandoned Sears.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

No mods no masters, is my eloquent and definitely well thought out reply

The centralized power of moderators is used by a cartel of vicious gangsters who impede the freedom of regular posters with violent probations. Only through the power of Ron Paul 2012 can we remove this dire threat to human development and ingenuity.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Feinne posted:

His transphobia at this point is potentially at the actual 'phobia' stage, especially whenever he drives past an abandoned Sears.

A Freddy Krueger glove but with the foot pieces to a lozier fixture instead of knives beckons from the shadow

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Jrid acts like its a gotcha question where's there no right answers. But I would honestly be satisfied with yes,I think CP should be criminalized".

To libertarians it is a 'gotcha' question. Like toddler markets, it should rationally and logically be allowed, but of course hysterical libs are unwilling or unable to calmly debate the merits of baby merchants like reasonable people. They just want to goad you into endorsing them so they can label you a monster and give themselves an emotional out to dismiss everything you have to say.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

To libertarians it is a 'gotcha' question. Like toddler markets, it should rationally and logically be allowed, but of course hysterical libs are unwilling or unable to calmly debate the merits of baby merchants like reasonable people. They just want to goad you into endorsing them so they can label you a monster and give themselves an emotional out to dismiss everything you have to say.

This but literally every question. Note that Jrod never answers anything except the most obvious case, and never without immediately trying to take control of the conversation direction.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's amazing how far along some people get without realizing that no one you really argue with is going to let you practice Socratic Method 101 on them. Like, Aaron Sorkin produced entire shows around it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Halloween Jack posted:

It's amazing how far along some people get without realizing that no one you really argue with is going to let you practice Socratic Method 101 on them. Like, Aaron Sorkin produced entire shows around it.

As I've mentioned more than once, Jrod isn't here to argue with us or even to persuade us. He's here to proselytize and demonstrate the righteousness of his faith. If he managed to win converts that's just a bonus.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

I think it's more that people assume simple, direct questions asked in understandable language must always be secret booby traps.

Even when it's something like "Wait hold up do workers make businesses successful or don't they?"

Note that his response to that was "Well I'm not going to answer that because you're just going to argue that I'm going to have to give a share of the profits to the workers" which... wasn't true. I just wanted to know how he actually resolved that in his head. It seems like his current solution to that obvious bit of cognitive dissonance is to deliberately leave it dissonant rather than risk resolving it in either direction.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

A Freddy Krueger glove but with the foot pieces to a lozier fixture instead of knives beckons from the shadow

Like if jrod really is a millennial it's pitiful because he's very much of the old school 'actually afraid of their inscrutable negromancy' bigot school like his buddy Pron Haul. As another example his very justified fear that you will beat his rear end.

Halloween Jack posted:

Especially given that the internet wraps us back around to arguments as lawless street rumbles between philosophers.

It occurs to me that Pythagoreanism is much more reasonable and sensible than libertarianism and a Pythagorean might stab the poo poo out of you for believing in negative numbers or besmirching triangles.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 19, 2019

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Alhazred posted:

He's like if Jrod was a techno-utopian perennial philosophy student. Even he managed to very reluctantly concede that maybe there should be some kind of restriction on the flow of information in that one instance, but it took a hell of a lot of heads butting against that wall.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Eripsa was amazingly weird, and utterly obsessed with the idea that paying attention to something (as defined by a device that shoots "attention marbles" which I guess are a kind of currency or social credit that people generate in this system) gives it value, and that by tracking everything everyone is looking at all the time, we can end capitalism.

It was...a ride, and some of the fiction that came out of it gives Valhalla DRO a run for its money.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Anticheese posted:

Eripsa was amazingly weird, and utterly obsessed with the idea that paying attention to something (as defined by a device that shoots "attention marbles" which I guess are a kind of currency or social credit that people generate in this system) gives it value, and that by tracking everything everyone is looking at all the time, we can end capitalism.

It was...a ride, and some of the fiction that came out of it gives Valhalla DRO a run for its money.

Cefte's Attention Deficit Disorder post was one for the record books.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Anticheese posted:

The difference was that Eripsa wrote the dystopian fiction himself. 'Imagine your uncle tracked everything you did for a year in order to make the perfect amount of food for thanksgiving dinner...'

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Somfin posted:

I think it's more that people assume simple, direct questions asked in understandable language must always be secret booby traps.

Even when it's something like "Wait hold up do workers make businesses successful or don't they?"

Note that his response to that was "Well I'm not going to answer that because you're just going to argue that I'm going to have to give a share of the profits to the workers" which... wasn't true. I just wanted to know how he actually resolved that in his head. It seems like his current solution to that obvious bit of cognitive dissonance is to deliberately leave it dissonant rather than risk resolving it in either direction.

Further, you'll note that I, the actual Marxist had very few quibbles with how he chose to resolve my question on what a moral way to dispose of profits were, and even proposed several that had nothing to do with handing out money directly to the workers ( and I could get into the reasons why if people want me to, but I suspect y'all don't ).

It's when I asked him who was actually responsible for the profits that he decided to venture into la-la land, because that question, as you correctly note, has to be left unresolved at all costs, since the moment you claim that workers contribute to profitability, you've acknowledged that they are on some level entitled to a share in the proceeds. If you dismiss their contribution as worthless, however, you sound insane to the point that even JRode can't rationalize it, so you end up with the weird quantum state where workers are both utterly vital to a successful business, but at the same time not actually responsible for any of the actual money coming in.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Feinne posted:

Like if jrod really is a millennial it's pitiful because he's very much of the old school 'actually afraid of their inscrutable negromancy' bigot school like his buddy Pron Haul. As another example his very justified fear that you will beat his rear end.

Especially given that the internet wraps us back around to arguments as lawless street rumbles between philosophers.

It occurs to me that Pythagoreanism is much more reasonable and sensible than libertarianism and a Pythagorean might stab the poo poo out of you for believing in negative numbers or besmirching triangles.

Look, those scrubs eating beans had it coming.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

TLM3101 posted:

Further, you'll note that I, the actual Marxist had very few quibbles with how he chose to resolve my question on what a moral way to dispose of profits were, and even proposed several that had nothing to do with handing out money directly to the workers ( and I could get into the reasons why if people want me to, but I suspect y'all don't ).

It's when I asked him who was actually responsible for the profits that he decided to venture into la-la land, because that question, as you correctly note, has to be left unresolved at all costs, since the moment you claim that workers contribute to profitability, you've acknowledged that they are on some level entitled to a share in the proceeds. If you dismiss their contribution as worthless, however, you sound insane to the point that even JRode can't rationalize it, so you end up with the weird quantum state where workers are both utterly vital to a successful business, but at the same time not actually responsible for any of the actual money coming in.

This is really the soul of the libertarian, an endless quest to destroy the concept of responsibility.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Strawman posted:

The difference was that Eripsa wrote the dystopian fiction himself. 'Imagine your uncle tracked everything you did for a year in order to make the perfect amount of food for thanksgiving dinner...'

Jrod does that too.

The most memorable example being him quoting that Stefan Molyneux proposal for a private police force. It involved fathers being able to take out surveillance and protection contracts on their daughters' virginity, being immediately unpersoned and evicted from your home and banned from travel and commerce to die of exposure if you couldn't afford to pay for police services, and being forced out of your home (via threat of unpersoning and certain death) if the private police suspect one of your family members might have committed a crime. Oh and "voluntary" omnisurveillance where you "agree" to let the private cops install cameras throughout your home to monitor you at all times (and by "agree" I mean all the private policing companies would naturally require it and if you don't have a contract with one of them it's an automatic death sentence by unpersoning).

This was all presented as a positive. Because while it may seem like a horrific dystopian police state that not even the Stasi dreamed of, it's actually great because the state isn't doing it, it's just friendly Walmart and Facebook.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 19, 2019

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Jrod does that too.

The most memorable example being him quoting that Stefan Molyneux proposal for a private police force. It involved fathers being able to take out surveillance and protection contracts on their daughters' virginity, being immediately unpersoned and evicted from your home and banned from travel and commerce to die of exposure if you couldn't afford to pay for police services, and being forced out of your home (via threat of unpersoning and certain death) if the private police suspect one of your family members might have committed a crime. Oh and "voluntary" omnisurveillance where you "agree" to let the private cops install cameras throughout your home to monitor you at all times (and by "agree" I mean all the private policing companies would naturally require it and if you don't have a contract with one of them it's an automatic death sentence by unpersoning).

This was all presented as a positive. Because while it may seem like a horrific dystopian police state that not even the Stasi dreamed of, it's actually great because the state isn't doing it, it's just friendly Walmart and Facebook.

Gawd, I remember that one.

He never did have an explanation for how a second one would start up after the first one took over an area, or why that first one wouldn't make starting up a new one a completely illegal action given that they would have had motive, opportunity, and the tools with which to do it. Wave hands, wave hands, the market will provide competition.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

VitalSigns posted:

Jrod does that too.

The most memorable example being him quoting that Stefan Molyneux proposal for a private police force. It involved fathers being able to take out surveillance and protection contracts on their daughters' virginity, being immediately unpersoned and evicted from your home and banned from travel and commerce to die of exposure if you couldn't afford to pay for police services, and being forced out of your home (via threat of unpersoning and certain death) if the private police suspect one of your family members might have committed a crime.

This was all presented as a positive.

I miss the Valhalla DRO stories.

What I really like about this thread, is it's the theoretical equivalent of what's happened with Bitcoin. I mean, it's unsurprising, given that they both have the same adherents. Bitcoin was adopted early on by a lot of the same people who then tried to adapt a lot of these theories into a practice (relatively speaking), and started noticing the cracks in the foundation almost immediately. Not exactly a sealed ecosystem, but it's amazing to have seen the last 4-500 years of economic history repeated in a span of 8-9 years.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

mojo1701a posted:

I miss the Valhalla DRO stories.

:black101:

Valhalla DRO owns bones

Specifically all of your bones in the event of Valhalla DRO or any of its representatives or operatives deciding that they want them

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember reading a Stefan Molyneux story about how a libertarian DRO would deal with crime. He proposed a situation where a man announces his intention to become an outlaw by resigning his DRO, then murders his wife in broad daylight and tries to catch a bus out of town. The mechanisms of the DRO would make it impossible for him to pay for his bus fare.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember reading a Stefan Molyneux story about how a libertarian DRO would deal with crime. He proposed a situation where a man announces his intention to become an outlaw by resigning his DRO, then murders his wife in broad daylight and tries to catch a bus out of town. The mechanisms of the DRO would make it impossible for him to pay for his bus fare.

No, see, his wife wouldn't let him kill her, because if she came anywhere close to him her DRO would cancel her contract for not shunning unpersons. So I think you'll find that it's the wife at fault here: she didn't fulfill her obligation to her DRO and got murdered.

The system works.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

I love that the crime he decided to use as his hypothetical was a man murdering his wife. Terrifying boomer energy.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

...so the entire story falls apart because he didn't have a car?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Karia posted:

No, see, his wife wouldn't let him kill her, because if she came anywhere close to him her DRO would cancel her contract for not shunning unpersons. So I think you'll find that it's the wife at fault here: she didn't fulfill her obligation to her DRO and got murdered.

The system works.

Oh, that's right, that was the ultimate punishment in a DRO: shunning. As I recall, it assumed you'd go pick some DRO to go along with or otherwise you'd be voluntarily shunned by people in it, somehow.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

...so the entire story falls apart because he didn't have a car?

No, no, no, if he had a car all the toll roads (1 toll boot every intersection, two each mile) would have refused him passage under threat of becoming unpersoned too.

Alternate take: :lol: if you don't think Big Brother DRO can't remotely shut down "your" car. It's in the fine print.

polymathy
Oct 19, 2019
So, basically my reason for coming back here and posting in this thread again was just to get some stuff off my chest. It's cathartic in a way to write some stuff you're thinking and see how people respond to it.

But it's a monstrous waste of my time. I fully understand that. I have a compulsion where I have to try to get the last word in and "win" an argument which makes it difficult to just walk away from a discussion.

However, I am running out of patience just being jerked around by dishonest people.

It seems clear to me that a lot of you don't believe what you're posting. It's like you're just trolling to get a reaction.

This whole idea of trying to get me to talk about child porn or transgender children or World War 2 is not about wanting an honest discussion about it. It's about making the hamster run faster on the hamster wheel for your amusement. It's about poking me from different angles to see how I'll react.

Look, this is a comedy forum and I don't expect everything to be high-brow. I don't mind insults, I'll give as good as I get.

What I don't accept is people being completely dishonest.

If, and only if, a few of you are open to having an honest discussion about ideas I'll continue to waste my time on these forums. For a little while at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i am being completely honest when i tell you that ron paul is a racist