Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
There were Digimon games beyond the first two on PSX? Lol.

ComposerGuy posted:

My reaction to the dexit thing has basically been the largest *shrug* emoji you can find.

This was basically me for all of last year. It also really, really bothers me that people use Brexit as a frame of reference; I get that it's POKEMON BRITAIN, but the two issues aren't even remotely close to comparable.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Avalerion posted:

The wild area is actually one of the features that really could have done with more polish. Great utility in regards of pokemon availability and items but it looks baddish, lags like hell, all the pokemon just wander around aimlessly or spin in circles... It’s functional but feels very artificial.

That's not been my experience; for example, groups of stuffel will get curious and approach you to say hi and wave, noibat will panic and flee, wooloo might blunder into you but are mostly doing their own thing, sneasel puts its claws out and chases you down. Diglets will stop and watch if they see you, etc.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Espurr will chase you down with the speed of a cheetah

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

ComposerGuy posted:

My reaction to the dexit thing has basically been the largest *shrug* emoji you can find.

MoaM posted:

This was basically me for all of last year. It also really, really bothers me that people use Brexit as a frame of reference; I get that it's POKEMON BRITAIN, but the two issues aren't even remotely close to comparable.

Also in this camp. Nowhere near worth the rage and pitchforks and extremely exaggerated comparison to Brexit. May as well have just called it Pokegate.

I'm pro-trimming the roster down. So many Pokemon are either redundant or unplayable and you can only get so many before your list becomes a major slog to get through.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Finally got my copy and holy poo poo I'm having fun. Rookidee being the cutest pokemon I have for making Curry haha. Anyone able to trade me a farfetched? I don't even have a badge yet but really want a sword bird and got shield haha.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'd rather have a generation where old pokemon get buffs and nothing new is added than Gamefreak throwing their hands in the air and just adding more worthless poo poo.

At this point an extremely polished and developed Pokemon experience could have plenty of content. It doesn't all have to be new. But people always chase after the new shiny thing more than bringing old stuff up to par.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Framboise posted:

Also in this camp. Nowhere near worth the rage and pitchforks and extremely exaggerated comparison to Brexit. May as well have just called it Pokegate.

I'm pro-trimming the roster down. So many Pokemon are either redundant or unplayable and you can only get so many before your list becomes a major slog to get through.

Plus, I usually only wind up using a small handful anyway and the last time I actually went out of my way to “catch ‘em all” was in Pokemon Red back on the Gameboy so them trimming down the roster never really bothered me to begin with.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 19, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Anyone dynamax a wobbafette yet? Can it still use counter?

No, all non-attack moves become Max Guard.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Gamefreak Onix buffs when? Please show my beautiful rock snake friend some love

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pokémon as a game service. Tack on the cost of Bank/Home but make it monthly. Add a dozen Pokémon weekly as raid exclusive drops to paying members 2 weeks before everyone else gets to catch them. All cosmetics cost real money.

There’s a gacha mini game for shinies.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Framboise posted:

So many Pokemon are either redundant or unplayable

If that's all they had deleted it wouldn't have been nearly the dust-up it ended up being (which was compounded by awful PR about it).

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Every pokemon is someone's favorite. The correct answer there is that they should balance things so all final evos have the same stat total.

The even more correct issue for there being too many pokemon is that we should go back to sprites because those owned.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm fine with some pokemon being excluded from a competitive season but some of their choices to include are very confusing.

Like why the gently caress is Basculin in this game? Why is it in any game? Its the least interesting pokemon ever created.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, do any of the later Gens actually give you a more substantial reward for catching every Pokemon? I know the first game just gave you a certificate and nothing more but I never bothered trying to get everything after that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The shiny charm or whatever that permanently buffs your shiny encounter rate has been the reward for a few games now.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

If that's all they had deleted it wouldn't have been nearly the dust-up it ended up being (which was compounded by awful PR about it).

Blaming PR for people freaking out about something that doesn't matter.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If their plan is to bring back old mons in future games (either to complete the dex or just as self contained games) it doesn't make sense to have one game worth every popular mon, and then two years later release Pokemon Heaven and Hell, featuring Dewgong and Mothim.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Eimi posted:

Every pokemon is someone's favorite. The correct answer there is that they should balance things so all final evos have the same stat total.

The even more correct issue for there being too many pokemon is that we should go back to sprites because those owned.

I really like the 3d models, pokemon like Barraskewda would completely lose their character as a static sprite and just become 'a fish'

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Eimi posted:

Counterpoint: Watchog.
:colbert:

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Eimi posted:

This. 3D isn't an upgrade over 2D, it's just different. I love well done sprites.

THE loving MOON posted:

I really like the 3d models, pokemon like Barraskewda would completely lose their character as a static sprite and just become 'a fish'

They don't have to be static.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm fine with some pokemon being excluded from a competitive season but some of their choices to include are very confusing.

Like why the gently caress is Basculin in this game? Why is it in any game? Its the least interesting pokemon ever created.

Not only that but they made a new piranha/barracuda type pokemon just for the region, there's already overlap with that style of design

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Borsche69 posted:

Not only that but they made a new piranha/barracuda type pokemon just for the region, there's already overlap with that style of design

Er, in what way is Barraskewda a Piranha?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

The weather system is an insane setup. Certain pokemon only spawn in certain weather conditions The weather changes once a day, with no other way to control it. So if you want something specific, you can (at least, thankfully) just change the internal switch date until you get what you want (since the weather is random day to day). To top that off, certain weathers like Fog and Sandstorm don't spawn until you're at a certain point in the game (for Fog, that point is when you beat the game). Its another annoying restriction that seems set up for no point - same way how in Sun/Moon most of the new pokemon were hidden behind SoS encounters and low percentage encounter rates.

Jesus loving Christ.
At least Mareanie, as hard as it was to make it even show up, at least was catchable during the story.

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd rather have a generation where old pokemon get buffs and nothing new is added than Gamefreak throwing their hands in the air and just adding more worthless poo poo.

At this point an extremely polished and developed Pokemon experience could have plenty of content. It doesn't all have to be new. But people always chase after the new shiny thing more than bringing old stuff up to par.

Hear, hear!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Barraskewda is not a piranha, it is a barracuda torpedo.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Supremezero posted:

Er, in what way is Barraskewda a Piranha?

They are fish. Need something more?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
so is mewtwo in this game or not? he was in the first list of cut Pokémon but some places are saying he was datamined and other places are saying he's in. where is he.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The Pokemon made for 3D look great in it. But the ones that originated as sprites feel less lively, chunkier, and more washed out in palette.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

gently caress yes just bred a shiny falinks!
i've literally never had a shiny i wanted to use

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Communist Thoughts posted:

gently caress yes just bred a shiny falinks!
i've literally never had a shiny i wanted to use

oh man, they're bronze and gold! that is an awesome pokemon, great job dude, happy for you.
remember to give him a fitting name! like Arkantos or something

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Bee posted:

The Pokemon made for 3D look great in it. But the ones that originated as sprites feel less lively, chunkier, and more washed out in palette.

Counterpoint: Mr. Mime

Sprites are never coming back, they are way more limited than the 3D models for all the stuff they wanna be doing with Pokemon now. And frankly, people way overblow the quality of sprites. I barely remember most of them. Some Pokemon definitely suffered in the 3D transition but when GF puts in the time and effort, a lot more personality can be conveyed with the 3D models than sprites ever had.

Which, again, is why a gen where they don't add anything new but touch all this stuff up would be nice.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Nevermind

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 20, 2019

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Internet Kraken posted:

Counterpoint: Mr. Mime

Sprites are never coming back, they are way more limited than the 3D models for all the stuff they wanna be doing with Pokemon now. And frankly, people way overblow the quality of sprites. I barely remember most of them. Some Pokemon definitely suffered in the 3D transition but when GF puts in the time and effort, a lot more personality can be conveyed with the 3D models than sprites ever had.

Which, again, is why a gen where they don't add anything new but touch all this stuff up would be nice.

Fair and valid. Mr. Mime is definitely a standout among 3D models among the old generation. But look at Typhlosion for a counter-example. They massacred my boy!

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Internet Kraken posted:

You just described B2W2 and I agree, they should do that again, because those games kicked rear end

In fact, if they’re not going to include every Pokémon in every game then they should go back to the Gen 5 model of one game with only new dudes until the credits roll and a smattering of old guys in the post game and then a sequel where they mix the old in with the new from the start with a ton of buffs

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Internet Kraken posted:

when GF puts in the time

There's the problem-- they need more time to make more interesting idle animations. I love archeops's awkward flapping but I wish he could also land and do some stuff on the ground. Maybe it'll be improved when he's added back into a future game. I have a living dex and pokemon from gens 3-8, but dexit might feel worth it if I could see some solid improvements to the included pokemon (in animations and in game balance/mechanics). I feel like this was a huge missed opportunity, because the game was rushed.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

oh man, they're bronze and gold! that is an awesome pokemon, great job dude, happy for you.
remember to give him a fitting name! like Arkantos or something

i want to name him after the theban sacred band of supergay hoplites who crushed the spartans but i dunno whether to go with Sacred Band or Hieros Lokhos for nerd cred, or Theban Supergays but that probably wont fit or be allowed

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Where can I see all the shinies for the new Pokemon? Preferably all on one page or image.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

i want to name him after the theban sacred band of supergay hoplites who crushed the spartans but i dunno whether to go with Sacred Band or Hieros Lokhos for nerd cred, or Theban Supergays but that probably wont fit or be allowed

Sacred Band sounds good and it's immediately apparent what it's referencing. You should go with that.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm having trouble with raids now that I'm in the post game.

Nobody ever joins when I search, and post-game they are hard enough to wipe the floor with NPCs, which makes it way more likely to fail due to 4 KOs.

So I have very little in the way of XP candy or money lol.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
It looks like level has something to do with the catch rate of pokemon. I've had a couple of instances where a higher level pokemon is much more difficult to catch than its catch rate using the old games formula would indicate. Conversely it seems like catching lower leveled pokemon is much easier and critical captures are more frequent if the wild pokemon is a lower level. It kind of sucks if you're rotating pokemon to keep from getting over levelled but find one of your favorites in the wild area who out levels you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

So, multi-hit moves take down one layer of shields in raids, and then start hitting health. Would something with skill-link like minccino be good for them? Outside of how skill link is the hidden ability in that case