Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Hey floorchat, does anyone had any suggestions for a good brand/line of floor poly? I’m not particular between oil and water base and this is for two bedrooms and a hallway. I’m doing a sand and coat of the existing floor to keep the existing patina.

You should probably read my post half a page up but I used this: https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/varathane/premium-floor-finish in satin.

Edit: ok fine then, a page ago :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
New speed queen is getting delivered tomorrow. They have a ten year warranty right now, parts and labor.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

devmd01 posted:

New speed queen is getting delivered tomorrow. They have a ten year warranty right now, parts and labor.

Let me know how you like it. I really want to pick up one of those mother fuckers

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My youtube is getting flooded by the same two companies that offer epoxy refinishing kits for counter tops. Does anyone have any experience with these? It feels like a really cheap way to get a couple more years of life out of the lovely formica ones I have now but I wonder how fake the faux stone finish looks.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

The Dave posted:

My youtube is getting flooded by the same two companies that offer epoxy refinishing kits for counter tops. Does anyone have any experience with these? It feels like a really cheap way to get a couple more years of life out of the lovely formica ones I have now but I wonder how fake the faux stone finish looks.

I've wondered this too, so I'll be really interested in what goons have to say.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Having done it myself, I'll say this:
The faux stone look is REALLY dependent on how good you are at dabbing the (typically 2-3) accent colors with a sponge and tiny brush.

I did it once in my last kitchen, and it looked ok...I'm not good at that sort of thing, so a couple spots I went too "heavy" with the accent colors and it just looked muddled, other spots looked fine. But I felt like it didn't last long enough at ALL. After less than a year it was already flaking off near the sink, and another year after that it was flaking off on other areas that weren't even near water.

If I were to ever do it again (unlikely, cause it is a LOT of time*) I would do like 2 more coats of clear coat, and maybe a second coat of primer.

*In addition to removing everything off your counters, you have to prime...wait a few hours...first coat of the under coat...wait a few hours...second coat, wait overnight, then first accent color, wait, second accent color, wait, possible third accent color, wait...clear coat, wait...sand, second clear coat, more waiting, etc...

And then after that you're still only supposed to have "light use" of your counters for like another week.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

w00tmonger posted:

Let me know how you like it. I really want to pick up one of those mother fuckers

When we moved house a year ago we bought a new Speed Queen top-loading washer and a dryer and they are vastly superior to any washer we've had in the past 10 years or so. The controls and knobs are super straightforward and there's not all the fancy settings of other models, but that's kind of why we wanted it. Our last washer wouldn't really get the soap out and it clothes would start smelling within a couple hours of sitting in the washer after the cycle, but this one seems to do much better.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Having done it myself, I'll say this:
The faux stone look is REALLY dependent on how good you are at dabbing the (typically 2-3) accent colors with a sponge and tiny brush.

I did it once in my last kitchen, and it looked ok...I'm not good at that sort of thing, so a couple spots I went too "heavy" with the accent colors and it just looked muddled, other spots looked fine. But I felt like it didn't last long enough at ALL. After less than a year it was already flaking off near the sink, and another year after that it was flaking off on other areas that weren't even near water.

If I were to ever do it again (unlikely, cause it is a LOT of time*) I would do like 2 more coats of clear coat, and maybe a second coat of primer.

*In addition to removing everything off your counters, you have to prime...wait a few hours...first coat of the under coat...wait a few hours...second coat, wait overnight, then first accent color, wait, second accent color, wait, possible third accent color, wait...clear coat, wait...sand, second clear coat, more waiting, etc...

And then after that you're still only supposed to have "light use" of your counters for like another week.

Did the kit you used have you pouring marine-grade epoxy over the paint? I'm surprised to hear that would flake.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

I hate it when someone steals the cat off my dryer.

This didn't get nearly enough love. :golfclap:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I painted my crappy beige Formica counters white and then used this stuff on top:
Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish

It worked pretty well, although it's definitely gotten dinged up a bit. Still looks way better than the plain Formica.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hey thread, let's chat exterior lighting. At night around my house it is absolutely pitch black. Since it is winter in Michigan that means when I get home at 5pm it is a struggle to even get my keys into the lock because I can't see poo poo. I've got a light above my side door that until yesterday I assumed was dead. Last night I got home and it turned on as I drove up, and then this morning when I fiddled with the switch it turned on and stayed on. I have now learned that it is (possibly) one of these motion sensing lights that turns from manual to motion sensing mode if you toggle the switch off for 1 second. Yay?

Anyhoo, the thing is hideous so even though I now know it does actually work I'd kinda like to replace it. Here is my quandary: I'm thinking about some kind of dusk-to-dawn light there instead of motion sensing. The neighbor's house is about 20ft away and there are 4 windows facing that light. I've only been in the house for 3 days now but it seems like they keep their blinds drawn 100% of the time on those windows. How much of an rear end in a top hat am I if I install a light there that is now on all night long?

Next question: what do y'all do for lighting at the front of your houses? Seems like there are a lot of people in my neighborhood that leave an exterior light on at the front of their homes until I-don't-know-o'clock. It looks nice and homey. Trying to decide if I'd do a dusk-to-dawn light here as well or maybe get a light timer switch??

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I recently installed some dusk to dawn fixtures by our front door that we picked up as Costco, so might wanna see if you can find something like that.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Sirotan posted:

I'm thinking about some kind of dusk-to-dawn light there instead of motion sensing. The neighbor's house is about 20ft away and there are 4 windows facing that light. I've only been in the house for 3 days now but it seems like they keep their blinds drawn 100% of the time on those windows. How much of an rear end in a top hat am I if I install a light there that is now on all night long?

Next question: what do y'all do for lighting at the front of your houses? Seems like there are a lot of people in my neighborhood that leave an exterior light on at the front of their homes until I-don't-know-o'clock. It looks nice and homey. Trying to decide if I'd do a dusk-to-dawn light here as well or maybe get a light timer switch??

I'd say it's your right to install a light. If you get one with multiple glass panes on it, tell the neighbor you're installing a light that you plan on having on at night and offer to black out the one pane that faces their house if it bothers them.

I have landscape lighting at the front of my house along the pathway, with a couple of LV spots shining on the front of the house (I made sure the light cutoff was below the roof line to mitigate some of the light pollution). I think they are set to go on at dusk and off around midnight. I do have 2 lights on either side of my door but I only turn those on if I'm expecting company.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sirotan posted:

The neighbor's house is about 20ft away and there are 4 windows facing that light. I've only been in the house for 3 days now but it seems like they keep their blinds drawn 100% of the time on those windows. How much of an rear end in a top hat am I if I install a light there that is now on all night long?

I'm going to say "moderate rear end in a top hat". One of my neighbours across the way has two new porch lights, and when I get up to use the toilet in the night I get blinded by cold-spectrum LED light which blasts window-shaped light patches on the internal walls of my house. There's a street light right outside that's less intrusive.

Their blinds will reduce it but the fact that you're requiring them to have the blinds drawn means you're de facto intruding on their peaceful enjoyment, same as if you had a whining motor all night that's OK "because they always have their windows closed".

Might be worth thinking about what you're actually trying to light up. Presumably you don't need to light up the side of their house, so buying (or modding) a light that doesn't shine any direct light at your neighbours would IMO be the considerate thing to do.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Every single one of the 200 or so houses in my suburban neighborhood has lights on all night that shine, more or less, at each other's houses and nobody gives a poo poo. Get a read on your neighborhood because expectations are going to be very local.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Also best to limit super bright lights to motion sensors for security purposes. The porch lights we leave on all the time tend to be less bright and use warmer temps. In fact, I have them on orange right now for the holiday (smart leds). Even better is during the warmer months, yellow colored lights attract less bugs

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

couldcareless posted:

Also best to limit super bright lights to motion sensors for security purposes. The porch lights we leave on all the time tend to be less bright and use warmer temps. In fact, I have them on orange right now for the holiday (smart leds). Even better is during the warmer months, yellow colored lights attract less bugs

This is the key. Use warmer color temperatures (<3200K) to reduce the jarring effect of the light if you look at it at night. There's something particularly annoying about those cool, blueish LED lights that isn't as bad with something closer to what a standard incandescent would be.

For motion-activated security lights, you want the cooler color temps, because they do a better job of illuminating what you want to see. Still, try to angle those tight to the ground so the light doesn't beam into your neighbor's house.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Yeah I don't think I want something super bright on the side of the house, just something to light up the doorway and maybe some of the driveway on either side of the door (driveway is directly next to the house). Installing a garage door today so starting tonight I'll be parking my car in the garage and then walking a bit of a ways to the house. With no lights on the garage or side of the house and it being dark as poo poo at 5pm, I want to get some lights up pretty quick. I think ideally for these two spots I'd like some kind of motion sensing/timer combo, especially for the garage since it is detached and I don't know how else I could control the lights there from the house unless I wanted to get into some smart switches/wireless controllers.

I live in a historic district and they do have guidelines for light temps and shielding, but even without all that I don't want to create unnecessary light pollution or annoy anyone, I just want to feel safe around the house at night.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It’s in and the first load is running.

E: pretty drat quiet!

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 19, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Anyhoo, the thing is hideous so even though I now know it does actually work I'd kinda like to replace it. Here is my quandary: I'm thinking about some kind of dusk-to-dawn light there instead of motion sensing. The neighbor's house is about 20ft away and there are 4 windows facing that light. I've only been in the house for 3 days now but it seems like they keep their blinds drawn 100% of the time on those windows. How much of an rear end in a top hat am I if I install a light there that is now on all night long?

0% rear end in a top hat if you put in a low lumen light which mostly shines "down" and is in the warm color spectrum. Any light shining at them should be through a well diffused/frosted fixture which cuts the total lumens substantially. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Bronze-Mission-Style-Outdoor-Light/dp/B007YH11PA . If you put clear glass on the outside, then you can start raising the rear end in a top hat points.

If you use an LED you don't even really need the dusk to dawn features, you're looking at ~113 kwh/year to leave a 13w led bulb illuminated constantly. That's the difference between $8 and $17/year (or whatever) to run it just when it's dark out.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

This didn't get nearly enough love. :golfclap:

:3:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

devmd01 posted:

It’s in and the first load is running.

E: pretty drat quiet!

That's delightfully commercial.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Yeah I don't think I want something super bright on the side of the house, just something to light up the doorway and maybe some of the driveway on either side of the door (driveway is directly next to the house). Installing a garage door today so starting tonight I'll be parking my car in the garage and then walking a bit of a ways to the house. With no lights on the garage or side of the house and it being dark as poo poo at 5pm, I want to get some lights up pretty quick. I think ideally for these two spots I'd like some kind of motion sensing/timer combo, especially for the garage since it is detached and I don't know how else I could control the lights there from the house unless I wanted to get into some smart switches/wireless controllers.

I live in a historic district and they do have guidelines for light temps and shielding, but even without all that I don't want to create unnecessary light pollution or annoy anyone, I just want to feel safe around the house at night.

The fact that you're putting even this much thought into it suggests whatever you choose will be a considerate option. Nothing shining directly at their house is what I'd go for, myself.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Motronic posted:

Speed Queen's design language is basically "gently caress YOU I'M A WASHER I WASH CLOTHES"

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Motronic posted:

Only thing missing is the slots where you line up 10 quarters to pay for the load.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

PremiumSupport posted:

Only thing missing is the slots where you line up 10 quarters to pay for the load.

It would surprise me exactly zero if it had pre-drilled/threaded holes to mount that, and probably the wiring harness to connect it up.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I stayed at an AirBnB once that had a speedqueen and it was magical. We put in like 8 beach towels with normal clothes and it cleaned everything perfectly. That would have killed my washer at home.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Those little solar powered garden lights are ok for lining a driveway.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Will report back in 25 years for the first service call.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

A few weeks ago I installed a 15 dollar motion light above our rear entrance (heh). Turns on when I pull into the driveway, and stays on long enough for me to enter the house. I've got both bulbs pointing pretty much down. When I first installed it, my neighbors, during a separate conversation, asked if I wouldn't mind changing the angle of one. I said sure, I did, and they're happy. A small bit of communication goes a long way.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I got a cool pendulum lamp from a friend, but the place I want to hang it is nowhere near an outlet. Also, the bulb socket in this thing is weird. Are there kits for turning a lamp into a battery powered LED one?

And, as much as I hate the internet of things, a wifi connection so I could gently caress with it from my phone and put it on a timer would be swift as hell

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 19, 2019

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I'm turning a closet into a guest bathroom and I have a giant window I need to replace. I want to put a vanity in the corner against the brick wall on the right.

It would require a custom replacement window as it measures 44" x 53". So I'm thinking of using glass block to fit a smaller window into the space like this:

I'm thinking something like a 24" x 36" casement window in the top left of the window (looking outside) and then glass block below it and to the right. Any suggestions or things I'm not thinking of?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
There are a bunch of options that would probably work if you don't want to use a 120v outlet. The "pucks" that got popular when LED lighting first started to become popular are now available with wifi:

https://smile.amazon.com/LUXSWAY-Wireless-Ceiling-Detector-Battery/dp/B07MXB8TR7

https://smile.amazon.com/Brilliant-Evolution-Wireless-Control-Lighting/dp/B072WB471C

https://smile.amazon.com/Brilliant-Evolution-Wireless-Changing-Controls/dp/B07L46RBGS

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I'm turning a closet into a guest bathroom...

The lowest bathroom picture if I'm not mistaken is a perfect example of a bathtub cut into the BCI's with rocks! Hell ya!

Fingers crossed we learn later the casement window is held into the glass blocks with painter's caulk. :)

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 20, 2019

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

peanut posted:

Those little solar powered garden lights are ok for lining a driveway.

They have cheap little solar powered downlights that clip onto your gutters.
Probably not good enough for unlocking your front door* but good enough for walking around without bumping into things.

*I've seen "shed lights" which are a little expensive but they have a decent LED emitter and a motion sensor and then a long wire to a larger PV panel, so you can stick up the light by the entrance where you need it and then put the panel somewhere that it will get sunlight.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

~Coxy posted:

They have cheap little solar powered downlights that clip onto your gutters.

Care to share these?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
A few houses in my neighborhood have them and I think they're weird, just too little light. At least the ones I've seen.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

The Wonder Weapon posted:

A few weeks ago I installed a 15 dollar motion light above our rear entrance (heh). Turns on when I pull into the driveway, and stays on long enough for me to enter the house. I've got both bulbs pointing pretty much down. When I first installed it, my neighbors, during a separate conversation, asked if I wouldn't mind changing the angle of one. I said sure, I did, and they're happy. A small bit of communication goes a long way.

Wait.....you TALKED to other people? That live near you?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MetaJew posted:

Care to share these?

Amazon/ebay/aliexpress/etc.

I would think that some B&M stores would have them too but I'm sure they're all the same - cheap solar cell, crappy AA battery, and a few white LEDs.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I think I'd be quite pissed off if a neighbour installed floodlights that shone 24/7 straight into my windows, particularly out in the countryside.

Just installed a terrace light which has a diffuser so the light doesn't go straight out, but does illuminate the terrace well and also lights the chalet up and looks pretty.

One of these: https://www.lampenwelt.ch/eckige-led-aussenwandleuchte-tuana.html

I'm sure you can find way to illuminate the driveway without the light spilling out all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Late for exterior light chat but I use Hue bulbs outside. They come on at dusk and after 10pm dim to a soft glow, enough to light the outside and figure out your keys, but not enough to cause neighbor anger. Unlike the rest of my neighbors and their 150W 5500K floods.