Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

strong bird posted:

also they keep trolling me by removing all the stuff i use for lux ult reduction. first they killed ultimate hat, then they removed it from the spell wholesale, now its gone from PoM. at least i get to have even more infinite mana if i want it

I will admit that presence of mind letting karthus ult for a pentakill and have it available again after they respawned and teamfight again within a minute of using it even within the first 10-20 minutes of the game could be a bit absurd, but I'll take the 2 free mana sapphires to compensate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Tanks should get a Lost Chapter equivalent health item that has 10% unique cooldown reduction and builds into separate items that disincentivizes you from building them all in one game, like one that builds into HP/armor, HP/MR, and Pure HP with a anti-% health shred passive.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I thought about it a lot over the past season, and I think a big issue with tanks is that tank itemization is, conceptually, really weird and difficult to balance to feel fair. Tank items have to take into account that a tank is expected to soak significantly more damage than an average champion, yet they also have to not be so overpoweringly strong that the enemy laner gives up ever trying to kill them. Dunno if there's any way to really square that circle short of bringing back Courage of the Colossus (or giving Aftershock some kind of scaling value based on nearby enemy champions) or fitting in more conditionals like on Gargoyle's.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The problem with season 9 in my eyes was that pure tank itemization was pointless, because why spend all your money on defense when the other side could ignore a large part of that or just take 4 seconds to blow you up instead of 2 seconds.

That's why you had the only solo tanks going AP naut or malph or nobody building defense except supports or hybrid defensive/offensive items with 1 ability that keeps you alive for a second longer like hourglass or relied on aftershock to not drop dead the instant they want in, and then drop dead as soon as it wore off.

You can't go pure tank if the guy building almost pure offense is just going to use you as a lifesteal source while using one of his dozen dashes to avoid your lockdown and kill your squishies before blowing you up.

Some actives similar to Gargoyle would be a good idea to keep it teamfight focused and not have it built by split pushers.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The problem with season 9 in my eyes was that pure tank itemization was pointless, because why spend all your money on defense when the other side could ignore a large part of that or just take 4 seconds to blow you up instead of 2 seconds.

That's why you had the only solo tanks going AP naut or malph or nobody building defense except supports or hybrid defensive/offensive items with 1 ability that keeps you alive for a second longer like hourglass or relied on aftershock to not drop dead the instant they want in, and then drop dead as soon as it wore off.

You can't go pure tank if the guy building almost pure offense is just going to use you as a lifesteal source while using one of his dozen dashes to avoid your lockdown and kill your squishies before blowing you up.

Some actives similar to Gargoyle would be a good idea to keep it teamfight focused and not have it built by split pushers.

some kind of null aura or whatever you could slap down where you can't teleport or dash into it in any way might be interesting

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'll stop playing Quinn top as soon as I can play her in any other role.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

strong bird posted:

some kind of null aura or whatever you could slap down where you can't teleport or dash into it in any way might be interesting

Poppy's W in item-form would be pretty nice for tanks.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

el dingo posted:

Eh at least conquerer is getting the true damage knocked off

I feel the lifesteal portion of it will be bullshit until lategame, but its awesome that ranged can join in one that bullshit too now.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yeah, I think that's probably the way to go. Might be helpful if there were more AP bruiser items for tanks to itemize into, too. I think only J4 and Poppy use AD much.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Vermain posted:

I thought about it a lot over the past season, and I think a big issue with tanks is that tank itemization is, conceptually, really weird and difficult to balance to feel fair. Tank items have to take into account that a tank is expected to soak significantly more damage than an average champion, yet they also have to not be so overpoweringly strong that the enemy laner gives up ever trying to kill them. Dunno if there's any way to really square that circle short of bringing back Courage of the Colossus (or giving Aftershock some kind of scaling value based on nearby enemy champions) or fitting in more conditionals like on Gargoyle's.

couple this with most tanks having low cooldown, low cost, high impact spells that can be used to retreat (poppy q, sion q/e, maokai q, shen e) and in a lot of cases waveclear and you have lots of poo poo that is hopefully never returned to league

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Got sick of voli, but love trolling enemies and tossing them. Picked up Singed. I do conqueror + red lifesteal runes. Is that what I should run against all set ups? Tried the aery + scorch, but it feels weak. I have seen that pros seem to run predator or shockwave builds, but I am quite sure that is to counter specific strategies and will be quite redundant in my games.

Have also done some spellbook trolling in unranked, gone with smite and stolen their blue or red with mixed success. Might give it a try in ranked vs. lanes I think are very winnable.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nowhere to be found,
the Treeline quietly burns.
I got an icon.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
how does it feel

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
also the new jungle is better for the game. the ganking vs farming balance is gonna be healthier.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slaapaav posted:

how does it feel

Like tears in the rain.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Slaapaav posted:

also the new jungle is better for the game. the ganking vs farming balance is gonna be healthier.

Spoken like a top laner

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
no i mean as a jungler the optimal playstyle was picking lee sin then ganking over and over and over regardless of gank outcome

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

finally i can sit in jungle for 30 minutes as yi

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

man I remember liking whukong a lot but he feels really fragile and low damage now. at least until he gets second ult level. this jungle is not very friendly for him :(

Svensken
May 29, 2010
I really don't get their reasoning behind the jungle XP change. Were people really complaining about junglers being too interactive?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Svensken posted:

I really don't get their reasoning behind the jungle XP change. Were people really complaining about junglers being too interactive?

The problem was not so much how interactive they were but that there was no alternative to ganking. You ganked or you lost and if you can't gank because of x then tough luck. The changes are to make Jungle a little more open to playstyles that aren't maximum gank time 24/7. More importantly the XP changes are to make counter-jungling and smart clearing more of a benefit, especially the removal of catchup XP on things that aren't epic.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Lord_Magmar posted:

The problem was not so much how interactive they were but that there was no alternative to ganking. You ganked or you lost and if you can't gank because of x then tough luck. The changes are to make Jungle a little more open to playstyles that aren't maximum gank time 24/7. More importantly the XP changes are to make counter-jungling and smart clearing more of a benefit, especially the removal of catchup XP on things that aren't epic.

last time I played this game competitively they added feral flare to combat this exact problem. I guess it didn’t work? time is a flat circle.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
ive played jungle since before season 1 started and the metas where you can ignore farming the jungle are the least fun metas for me. exept that time in season 2 i think where going first item oracles was extremely viable on nunu

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

a fatguy baldspot posted:

last time I played this game competitively they added feral flare to combat this exact problem. I guess it didn’t work? time is a flat circle.

Feral Flare and it's follow up items all pushed things too hard in the other direction, where ganking was entirely pointless so farm farm farm.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
tanks in games with ocean drake is pretty crazy now. they regain so much hp in longer teamfights

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The thing they run into which I’m sure will still be a problem is it’s just safer to sit and farm a jungle so that’s what most people will do.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Invalid Validation posted:

The thing they run into which I’m sure will still be a problem is it’s just safer to sit and farm a jungle so that’s what most people will do.

And ultimately the answer to that now is that there's no actual superior incentive to sit in jungle and do nothing, and ganking is still going to get a jungler more ahead than farming will.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
you should need to do both in an ideal world imho otherwise some champions become too much

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea ideally, but there’s nothing they can do to make that happen. There’s nothing you can do to incentivize both. You either want more ganks or more jungle exp (which kinda means more jungle diversity). In practice everyone does the safer thing that’s more likely to get a win.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Ganking is good.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The jungle changes are fine tbh, they aren't going to change a lot except for ap junglers like Gragas who smashed krugs into scuttle now that Krugs are not the most valuable camp in the game. Counterjungling and Udyr might be slightly more viable but honestly farming junglers are bad for the game.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Making farming the jungle better will only help my precious baby Karthus, with whom I do not and shall not gank.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Cage Kicker posted:

Making farming the jungle better will only help my precious baby Karthus, with whom I do not and shall not gank.

your ult is your gank, and only to steal kills

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Preseason is awesome

Tried energised cait, you don't have to rush IE now, stormrazor into RFC gives a nice selection of stats and now that energised effects stack you can run around chunking fools for 240+headshot at extra range with a slow

Darius with omnirune is hilarious, laned against cho. I had phase rush up so I did my combo on him, when he tried to stun me in response phase rush kicked in and i just sped past the circle and continued wailing on him. Electrocute procs, random grasps for trades, hell I even got a dark harvest stack but the best was when I finished dead man's plate and predator came up for insane movement speed darius.

Wouldn't be surprised to see riot increase the cycle time in it - you're using runes that are balanced around having a 20-40 second cooldown except now they're 8 seconds. It's pretty absurd

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I'm loving the support item changes. Umbral Glaive is probably my favourite new item in the entire preseason because putting it on a support just gives you unparalleled vision denial. It also is cheaper than the average lethality item so it's pretty much just good times overall. Heck, I've been running MF support purely because of Umbral Glaive and have had decent success with her. I dunno how it is for laners but I feel like Umbral Glaive opens up the possibility of more AD characters running support.

Zyra also enjoys the new Presence of Mind passive and Zyra lanes are fun. Overall, preseason so far has been a lot of fun so far. Curious to see what strategies develop from here.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I feel like Nocturne is going to reaaaaaaaaaally enjoy Umbral Glaive

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

How Rude posted:

your ult is your gank, and only to steal kills

this goon fucks global ults

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
nocturne could be really good now with the jungler being forced to farm a bit, he needs something to do while waiting on ult cooldowns.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

el dingo posted:

Preseason is awesome

Tried energised cait, you don't have to rush IE now, stormrazor into RFC gives a nice selection of stats and now that energised effects stack you can run around chunking fools for 240+headshot at extra range with a slow

I’m really curious to see where Stormrazor falls into the typical adc build. I feel like it could become standard as the first item, since it gives all three stats that crit adcs want, and the passive is a lot more consistent damage bonus than IE’s at 1 item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Dragon changes are interesting. It feels extremely punishing to give up a dragon and if you give up more than two it feels hopeless. This is my silver NA perspective.

Also now that we're in preseason I'm trying jungle. It is hard but it is fun and good.