Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BrokenGameboy posted:

Lol at thinking we or any of the west live in any kind of real "democracy".

at least in places like the GDR there was real dissident unlike the current well take anything attitude in the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lol some guy set himself on fire to "prove" that lighting a person on fire was no big deal, 24 hours later he tells everyone his second degree burns are far worse than expected and hopes that we can all get along:

https://twitter.com/chenqiushi404/status/1195351309211312128?s=20

Lightning Knight posted:

this is a weirdly conservative argument. if black nationalists were attacking government facilities in cities (like say, killing almost a dozen cops in Dallas a few years ago) then I would not really agree with that as a strategy but it would not be any kind of surprise or incomprehensible event given the treatment of black Americans. likewise I would disagree with a militarized or aggressive response because that isn’t going to solve the problem, it will just terrorize and radicalize the black community.

It depends on how long of a timeframe you want to run with it. What Xinjiang is now originally belong to a group called the Dzungars who got mostly wiped out by the Qing Dynasty and their little helpers the Hui and Uighur minorities. The Dzungars had subjugated the Uighurs ages ago and levied punitive taxes against them, so they were only too happy to return the favor. Since then there have been various incarnations of ETIM, going so far as to actually have an East Turkestan state that existed for a few years between the 1920s and 1930s. The stated goal of east turkestan's religious leaders at the time was to ward off the "yellow" (han), but focus on exterminating the "black" (hui), alarming nationalist warlords and leading them to invade and rule it as a puppet state, until they themselves were usurped by the soviets in the 40s:

quote:

The First ETR gave political meaning to the erstwhile geographical term of East Turkestan.[18] However, the Chinese warlord Sheng Shicai (盛世才) quickly defeated the ETR and ruled Xinjiang for the decade after 1934 with close support from the Soviet Union.[27] Eventually, though, the Soviet Union exploited the change in power from Sheng to Kuomintang officials to create the puppet Second East Turkestan Republic (1944–1949) in present-day Ili Kazakh Autonomous Prefecture to exploit its minerals,[28] later justifying it as a national liberation movement against the "reactionary" Kuomintang regime.[4] Amid the anti-Han programs and policies[27] and exclusion of "pagans",[20] or non-Muslims, from the separatist government,[28] Kuomintang leaders based in Dihua (Ürümqi) appealed to the long Chinese history in the region to justify its sovereignty over Xinjiang. In response, Soviet historians produced revisionist histories to help the ETR justify its own claims to sovereignty, with statements such as that the Uyghurs were the "most ancient Turkic people" that had contributed to world civilization.[4] Traditionally, scholars had thought of Xinjiang as a "cultural backwater" compared to the other Central Asian states during the Islamic Golden Age.[12] Local British and American consuls, also intrigued by the separatist government, published their own histories of the region. The Soviet Uyghur histories produced during its support of the ETR remain the basis of Uyghur nationalist publications today.[4]

Given that central asia is the conflict/confluence zone of various cultures and has been for centuries, it is hard to take a look at Xinjiang policy and apply that through an American lens. The closest thing to revanchism in America is the neoconfederate movement, and that has no foreign support. Meanwhile ETIM is the sum of the remainder of squabbles that have existed well before the modern PRC, and they are attempting to deal with the issue in a modern way (systematic reeducation) compatible with the tenets of marxism-leninism rather than the old fashioned way (just murder everyone and resettle with your own bannermen).

It is vastly inappropriate to try and say a particular response is conservative or liberal when it comes to issues of tribe and ethnic identity, especially as these feuds predate the introduction of nation states to east asia. It is more accurate to say that for decades Xinjiang was given carrots (affirmative action, quotas and set asides, autonomous republic, exemption from the usual taxes and one child policy, etc.), and now the government is responding with a stick due to post-2000s incidents of terrorism. It's not just Han people who have been murdered by the ETIM, moderate imams like Juma Tahir have been assassinated too to drive polarization and an "choose us or them" mentality.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
you know pevan stan, I will concede that I don’t know enough about this topic to credibly argue with you and concede the floor.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wasn't there a march by HK folk towards the Poly university happening?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Congratulations, you've basically word for word recreated an argument used by the British to justify their crackdowns in British India in the late 1800s.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

you know pevan stan, I will concede that I don’t know enough about this topic to credibly argue with you and concede the floor.

no need to concede anything, the western media is good at one thing and that is making things emotionally charged when they want it to be.

compare the coverage of xinjiang with the neo-nazi danish government's ghetto policy from the same state broadcaster:

quote:

From the age of 1, ghetto children will be forced to spend at least 25 hours per week attending classes in “Danish values.” Criminals from the ghettoes can be given tougher sentences. Some public housing will be sold off and the residents evicted in an effort to break up immigrant communities.

Separating children from their parents to be raised by Danish surrogates to inculcate the "correct values" as well as destroying their housing to force them out of their own neighborhoods.

From this citylab source:

quote:

There has even been discussion of putting electronic tags on teenagers with a migration background to force them to keep an 8 p.m. curfew.

Proposing surveillance of military age males to keep them confined to certain areas designated by the government.

While people are hyperventilating about the PRC, virtually nobody has commented on how a small, "tolerant and liberal" country like Denmark is doing the same exact thing, with no controversy or talk of sanctions from America. It's one thing to keep on playing the whataboutism card when it comes to the US. But Denmark?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Knight posted:

heck yeah mission accomplished

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:29 on Mar 23, 2021

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Han nationalists buying into the War on Terror fabrication that is the ETIM is hilarious. I bet they have weapons of mass destruction too.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

sincx posted:

:siren:

https://twitter.com/stuartlauscmp/status/1196565359026999296

This might have been the inevitable end result of trying to graft a common-law legal system onto a Marxist-Leninist political structure. There's just too many contraditions for it to work, despite shared capitalistic economic incentives.

Read that entire Twitter thread. The author is a SCMP reporter in Beijing with a CUHK LLB, and knows what he's talking about.

If the NPC formally overturns the HK High Court over this, I think HK's rule of law (and thus 1C2S) is done.

edit: and I may have to get used to flying to Singapore more often.

Let's look at the text of basic law article 18:

quote:

The Standing Committee of the National People's Congress may add to or delete from the list of laws in Annex III after consulting its Committee for the Basic Law of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and the government of the Region. Laws listed in Annex III to this Law shall be confined to those relating to defence and foreign affairs as well as other matters outside the limits of the autonomy of the Region as specified by this Law.

In the event that the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress decides to declare a state of war or, by reason of turmoil within the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region which endangers national unity or security and is beyond the control of the government of the Region, decides that the Region is in a state of emergency, the Central People's Government may issue an order applying the relevant national laws in the Region.

Basic Law Chapter 4, Section 4: The Judiciary

quote:

Article 84
The courts of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region shall adjudicate cases in accordance with the laws applicable in the Region as prescribed in Article 18 of this Law and may refer to precedents of other common law jurisdictions.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing explicitly spelling out power of the courts to conduct constitutional reviews of emergency laws when it comes to the Basic Law, they were doing it because they always have.

And the judgement was no on whether or not the mask law was unconstitutional, but rather the colonial era ordinances that allowed the CE to impose the mask law without the legislative council was constitutional or not. Conceivably the LC, already reputed to be packed with Beijing shills, could just pass the law the right way and the courts would have no grounds to challenge it on that basis again.

Article 18 already gives the CPG a lot of power to meddle in HK's internal affairs as long as they feel like the region is in a state of emergency and the situation is beyond control of the local government. Given the incompetence and intransigence of everyone involved, article 18 is going to be invoked sooner or later by the national government, if not for the current umbrella revolution than surely a more violent one down the road with even more casualties.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN has issued a correction as of 01:57 on Nov 19, 2019

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodnose posted:

Han nationalists buying into the War on Terror fabrication that is the ETIM is hilarious. I bet they have weapons of mass destruction too.

This is an interesting assertion from our state department rezident. For the most part, this country resettles refugees into hidey holes where they can be forgotten, like Bosnians and Syrians to St. Louis or Somalians to Boise. Meanwhile, the east turkestan refugees/separatists that you guys have been running head straight to suburban virginia, where they open schools for case officers in uighur language and culture that get featured later on in VOA broadcasts. How weird is it that other refugees get sent to the lowest possible cost of living states while your east turkestan buddies get to live in the most expensive ZIP codes in America:

quote:

Ataman is one of around 1,500 Uighurs who live in the Washington region, according to an estimate from the D.C.-based Uighur American Association, with the majority living in Fairfax County. It’s the largest Uighur community in the United States.

Most Uighurs came to the area in the 1980s, with longtime residents pointing to the greater ease of asylum processing by being closer to the capital as well as the proximity to Radio Free Asia, a source of employment.

Great use of taxpayer dollars there.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

who's going to break the news to the fighters in Idlib that their group is a fabrication?

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Wasn't there a march by HK folk towards the Poly university happening?

There were several attempts to reach PolyU but none succeeded.

Between surrenders, arrests and some extremely dramatic escapes they are down to about 100 inside PolyU just now.

HKs political leadership seems to have abrogated responsibility for the situation entirely to the police. The police's track record during the protests includes multiple sexual assaults on female prisoners, assaults on protesters, journalists and even firefighters and paramedics. Also screaming that they want to recreate Tiananmen at the people they have surrounded. So the likely outcome is "bad".

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
That's just ACAB

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Regardless of one's particular stance on the HK protests being good or bad, it's a pretty undeniable marker of just how incompetent/dysfunctional the current government is when we're well into the third day of a violent police siege on a university and Carrie Lam has made exactly zero public statements on the matter.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Grapplejack has issued a correction as of 04:12 on Nov 19, 2019

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

This is an interesting assertion from our state department rezident. For the most part, this country resettles refugees into hidey holes where they can be forgotten, like Bosnians and Syrians to St. Louis or Somalians to Boise. Meanwhile, the east turkestan refugees/separatists that you guys have been running head straight to suburban virginia, where they open schools for case officers in uighur language and culture that get featured later on in VOA broadcasts. How weird is it that other refugees get sent to the lowest possible cost of living states while your east turkestan buddies get to live in the most expensive ZIP codes in America:
https://twitter.com/kthalps/status/1194381938708164611
https://twitter.com/yashalevine/status/1155406609926873088

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

lol, very Chinese response:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/politics/article/3038265/china-hits-out-new-york-times-over-report-xinjiang-crackdown

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Atrocious Joe posted:

who's going to break the news to the fighters in Idlib that their group is a fabrication?

I guess the same fella who needs to bring them a map cause Idlib is a little outta the way of anything that's got to do with the supposed ETIM.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
the protesters tried to escape PolyU through the sewer but it was too smelly down there

'“It was disgusting inside the drainage,” a masked mad said.'
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law-and-crime/article/3038443/no-redemption-sewers-desperate-radicals-search-high

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Rabelais D posted:

the protesters tried to escape PolyU through the sewer but it was too smelly down there

'“It was disgusting inside the drainage,” a masked mad said.'
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law-and-crime/article/3038443/no-redemption-sewers-desperate-radicals-search-high

https://twitter.com/bbcchinese/status/1196702115772669954

geniuses

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Geniuses indeed: They're afraid they will be arrested and can't go home; hmm perhaps they shouldn't have participated in an effort that involved massive damage to city infrastructure, manufacture of thousands of petrol bombs and the theft of cyanide and sulphuric acid from chemistry labs.

This is a sign that the police have been restrained up to now: most of the protesters expected to be able to just go home after everything they did, and have been acting all surprised that this time the police are actually arresting them

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://twitter.com/koreasociety/status/1196422409290756096?p=v

i dunno why the right wing twitter guy thought defacing posters was interesting but not this i was able to actually find documentation on the korean internet for this story this happened a week ago so i also dont know what took reuters so long to find these people for such a low effort article

nothing about the standoff lasting seven hours or death threats or this kim jimun guy though theres gonna be another event on the november 23rd ill try to read a few articles about

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene

Rabelais D posted:

Geniuses indeed: They're afraid they will be arrested and can't go home; hmm perhaps they shouldn't have participated in an effort that involved massive damage to city infrastructure, manufacture of thousands of petrol bombs and the theft of cyanide and sulphuric acid from chemistry labs.

This is a sign that the police have been restrained up to now: most of the protesters expected to be able to just go home after everything they did, and have been acting all surprised that this time the police are actually arresting them

agreed, thin blue line brother

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
"what part of 'all cops are bad' don't you understand you stupid loving tankies" - me, building pipe bombs to spring the bowl cut nazi out of jail

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
luis fernando camacho really showed us last week how direct action gets the goods

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

"what part of 'all cops are bad' don't you understand you stupid loving tankies" - me, building pipe bombs to spring the bowl cut nazi out of jail

whoa there are bowl cut nazis involved??

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
no these guys just wave groyper icons, love colonial flags, cash checks from ted cruz, and think mainland chinese are semi-literate apes

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Universal suffrage sounds like a cool goal, why do people object to it?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They wield CIA branded longbows and broadswords

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

quote:

“[Driving] fast doesn’t mean it is unsafe. For our police officers, they all well trained,” he said. “Be [confident in] the police. And please be [supportive] to the police. If you always worry about why the police do this and why the police do that, perhaps that may send some wrong [messages] to the public. Trust us and support us. ”

Because driving a cop car around Lantau is exactly the same as a bus in Hong Kong.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Norton the First posted:

Universal suffrage sounds like a cool goal, why do people object to it?

because last time it was offered up in 2014 the entire city erupted in massive rioting, and that was a relatively benign deal where Beijing only reserved the right to veto candidates who were openly seditious

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
https://twitter.com/CoveringDelta/status/1196491401321746433?s=19

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
lmao

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
can't wait for this next iteration of WMD: this time we gotta stop china to save the white race!

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 01:02 on Nov 20, 2019

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the "rule of law foundation" is also mixed up with miles kwok / guo wengui, the chinese rich guy on the run from corruption charges

kwok also associates with steve bannon, and both bannon and this j. kyle bass guy promote "fourth turning" theories. i could find bass promoting that by scanning his twitter feed for 20 seconds

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
wow weird how many hk supporters are reactionary nutjobs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Founder and Chief Investment Officer of Hayes Capital Management Founding Member of Committee on the Present Danger: China Chairman of the Board of Rule of Law Foundation Chair of Risk Committee of Board of Directors of University of Texas Investment Management Company U.S. House of Representatives U.S. Senate Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission Witness Top 25 Most Influential People in the Global Patent Market as Named By Intellectual Asset Management Magazine Lecturer on Global Economics at Columbia Harvard Stanford UC Berkeley University of Chicago University of Texas University of Virginia Recipient of 2019 Foreign Policy Association Medal Managing Director at Legg Mason Senior Managing Director at Bear Stearns Graduate of Texas Christian University with degree in Finance Board of Texas Department of Public Safety Foundation Advisory Board of Predata.