Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
This is such a funny line of argument that because Vindman didn't use the word "demand" in the corrections that there couldn't have been a demand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Why are the Rs focusing so much on talking about TV ratings? Nearly every time they get a turn they are hammering on the fact that the ratings are low. Who gives a poo poo? It’s not an entertainment program. Or I guess to them everything is?

Trump cares about ratings, very much; to him it's proof that people agree with him, or, really, that he himself is worthwhile as a person, as far as I can tell. So the Rs are reassuring him that this Democrat Witch Hunt does not have good ratings for its Democrat Witches. (They may also be reassuring Fox News viewers that it's not just them who didn't watch the hearings.)

sim
Sep 24, 2003

GutBomb posted:

Why are the Rs focusing so much on talking about TV ratings? Nearly every time they get a turn they are hammering on the fact that the ratings are low. Who gives a poo poo? It’s not an entertainment program. Or I guess to them everything is?

I assume, like everything else, they think/know if they say it enough it becomes truth in the eyes of many people, especially their constituents. If enough people think it's too boring to get ratings, then there most not be anything particularly bad, so no reason to spend time reading about it.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

GutBomb posted:

To generate sound bites for pushing a narrative that the hearings aren't worth watching.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this guy has the tone of someone angrily demanding a server take back the steak that came out medium-well instead of well

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

sexpig by night posted:

their whole thing is just shouting 'NO ONE ACTUALLY CARES' despite constant polling trends showing otherwise

I'm just trying to decide at what point they shifted from trying to convince others to trying to convince themselves.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

so many of these ohio gop jerks

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

sinburger posted:

To generate sound bites for pushing a narrative that the hearings aren't worth watching.

I mean yeah I get that but is anyone really manipulated by that?

:negative:
Of course they are

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Speier's "Thank you Ambassador Volker! But for you, as a private citizen, with your own personal phone, sending all these text messages, we would have nothing!" is an extremely good own

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

GutBomb posted:

I mean yeah I get that but is anyone really manipulated by that?

:negative:
Of course they are

Once Fox news distills it down to a completely fair an balanced summary of the impeachment hearings, the usual 30ish% of the US that votes R no matter what will totally buy it up.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

https://twitter.com/petridishes/status/1196945106651226112

impeachgate? waterpeachment?

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

but what about obama

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/biannagolodryga/status/1196945406409752577

we'll see whether this is a lie later this week when she's up

reminder that Fiona Hill's review of vindman, as she was leaving, was

quote:

“‘Alex is a top one percent military officer and the best army officer I have worked with in my 15 years of government service... He is brilliant, unflappable, and exercises excellent judgment."

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

"Henry II never said to kill that priest, is that correct?"

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

"Are you loyal to the president?"

:thinks:

:shakes head "no":

"yes"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

swalwell with the single most effective sixty seconds of questioning of the day

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

poo poo. Swalwell just nailed Morrison to the loving wall.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

yeah goddamn

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Frick. Work made me miss it. What did she ask?

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Ugh, this Hurd questioning... "Did you ever hear about how the thief was going to spend their money?"

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Wow, they're throwing Rudy under the bus SO hard right now.

please release the skeletons rudy

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

eke out posted:

swalwell with the single most effective sixty seconds of questioning of the day

This absolutely.

He took the "A Few Good Men" tactic.

Q. Your job is implement the foreign policy of the president, correct?
A. My job is to obey all lawful orders yes.
Q. And the president's stated policy here was to investigate Biden and Burisma for corruption, correct?
A. Yes.
Q. Then why didn't you follow up on that in any way?
A. durrrr

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This absolutely.

He took the "A Few Good Men" tactic.

Q. Your job is implement the foreign policy of the president, correct?
A. My job is to obey all lawful orders yes.
Q. And the president's stated policy here was to investigate Biden and Burisma for corruption, correct?
A. Yes.
Q. Then why didn't you follow up on that in any way?
A. durrrr

it was some straight up "caught you in a trap" poo poo and i can't believe he actually executed it correctly

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rauros posted:

so many of these ohio gop jerks

Yes it is sad. Ohio has Marcia Fudge and Sherrod Brown. Marcia is part of the Progressive Caucus in a heavily gerrymandered district so that the rest of Ohio can be GOP.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

sim posted:

Ugh, this Hurd questioning... "Did you ever hear about how the thief was going to spend their money?"

On the other hand it prompted Volker to say, regarding Sondland, that he cared about Ukraine and he just wanted to be helpful, which... well, it didn't get a laugh from anyone I guess?

Then there was this though:

"Did you have a clear understanding of what Sondland and Giuliani were doing?"

"I can't say I had a clear understanding, I thought Sondland and I were on the same team"

"So you didn't have a clear understanding, do you think the Ukrainians did?"

"No"

I guess this could, theoretically, illustrate that the Ukrainians just didn't know that Sondland was.... swanning about on his own authority? or something?

(Also nice swipe at Vindman on the way out, Hurd, what the hell.)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

eke out posted:

it was some straight up "caught you in a trap" poo poo and i can't believe he actually executed it correctly

I’ve been watching it all and Swalwell was absolutely the best cross exam by far.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Morrison looks like he wants to bolt out of his chair.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I was t sure where Castro was going, but it seems to be a good line of questions.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006
I started watching around Swalwell’s cross examination. Morrison looks as if he knows he’s hosed at this point.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

god gently caress ratcliffe

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

"President Trump didn't specifically say he wanted Biden investigated for his re-election campaign, therefor it's fine!"

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Wait, that lady next to Morrison is his counsel? Huh.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

"President Trump didn't say "investigate my 2020 opponent", or the year 2020, or even that he was planning on running for re-election, right? So obviously he only wants Biden's son investigated, not Biden himself, right right?" :sigh:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

LtStorm posted:

Wait, that lady next to Morrison is his counsel? Huh.

Women can lawyer too.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

zonohedron posted:

"President Trump didn't say "investigate my 2020 opponent", or the year 2020, or even that he was planning on running for re-election, right? So obviously he only wants Biden's son investigated, not Biden himself, right right?" :sigh:

I think Trump just wanted a "but her emails!", and at this point he already has it.

He won't get removed from office, and if Biden is the nominee in 2020 he'll hammer on it for six months and people will buy it. I wouldn't be surprised if Barr announced a formal investigation in October 2020 just so we can all do the time warp again.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Anyone got a clip of whatever Swalwell just did handy?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
gently caress Him Jordon

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Bringing in the Daily Mail!

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

highme posted:

Women can lawyer too.

Shocking!

Yeah, I guess I thought she was Fiona Hill and was sitting quietly until her turn in the hot seat came up. One of the camera angles on CSPAN3 is from her side so I could see her, Morrison, and Volker lined up but didn't notice Volker's lawyer on his other side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

SchrodingersCat posted:

I think Trump just wanted a "but her emails!", and at this point he already has it.

He won't get removed from office, and if Biden is the nominee in 2020 he'll hammer on it for six months and people will buy it. I wouldn't be surprised if Barr announced a formal investigation in October 2020 just so we can all do the time warp again.

Is your gimmick to be as pessimistic as humanly possible? They got Volkner to admit there was nothing on Biden and everyone besides chuds look at Barr with complete and utter contempt