Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Serephina posted:

Of course, these are very well reported bugs on the paradox forums, from years and years ago to boot. Any known workarounds?

Are you sure you’re encountering bugs here? Crown authority is per-kingdom/empire, and wrangling multiple kingdoms with different inheritance laws is part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Crow Jane posted:

New dev diary, about buildings this time.

It all sounds pretty good, getting kind of excited.

That holding art is something else. Loving it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yes, the 3 kingdoms have different levels of CA. But, when clicking backwards and forwards between them, sometimes they'll change. EG: Kingdom Alpha is my primary title. It's fine and never changes. Kingdom Beta and Gamma have higher CA's when I upsurped them, and should currently be locked due to having been changed in the past 50 years. But, when clicking between the tabs, all of a sudden Beta and Gamma are suddenly unlocked and on the lowest Authority setting. I can initiate a vote to raise them. Clicking to and from Alpha will eventually have them back to High Auth and being locked. I am getting notifications that vassal states will leave the kingdom via inheritance etc.

I mean, I could keep playing on as if they're minimal CA for the rest of the game... but that level of instability is worrying for the progress of the save.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
That's really weird. I've had it bug out before where it displayed the wrong information on the law screen when switching around, but this was always a visual glitch in my games.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

:psyduck: Oh that’s pretty bad, then. I’ve been playing with the DLC that replaces CA for a long time, so I haven’t seen anything like that.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Crow Jane posted:

New dev diary, about buildings this time.

It all sounds pretty good, getting kind of excited.

I'm glad someone is posting these here. It's not like Steam will loving tell me when they're up anymore! :V

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Serephina posted:

So, my game's run into two not-technically-game-ending bugs. One, my vassal antipope is loyal to himself and won't pay taxes. Hugely annoying but can be lived with. And two, my various Crown Authorities (Holding 3 kingdoms) absolutely love to randomly change: I can literally be clicking between the Kingdom Law tabs and watch them glitch out and go up and down. This second one is terrible as I see no reason to invest more time into the save if it keeps shoving inheritances out of the kingdom, forbidding me from revoking titles, all the while eating opinion penalties for high CA.

If anything you should be proud for getting all of those. Few filthy casuals can get so deep into the game to see bugs such as this.

I guess the second thing rarely had become an issue for anyone cause it's rare to see someone with more than 2 kingdom titles but without imperial title. With Charlemagne expansion (I think) you create a custom empire when you have 3 kingdoms or a lot of land. That's your solution probably, either conquer some empire or get a DLC!

For some reason I've never used antipopes in all my years with the game so can't really help there.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

My God I just started my first Viking run and this is a million times more fun than plain jane Catholic runs

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tatsuta Age posted:

My God I just started my first Viking run and this is a million times more fun than plain jane Catholic runs

There are so many ways to play too. I finished an Erik the Heathen run recently and now I’m invading Byzantium as Haraldr to setup my Hellenic merchant Roman republic.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tatsuta Age posted:

I really hope CK3 addresses this. Almost every new playable in turn ended up being way more fun and having more options than the previous options. Especially Old Gods and onwards versus what came before, as feudal christians at least get some stuff over republics and muslims, while from vikings onwards the new guys are just way more fun. Stuff like customizing non-pagan religions will hopefully help.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Speaking of vikings, how do prepared invasions work?

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Finally got the SPQR achievement after 400 years of hard work, feels like I've graduated :hist101: Still have 200ish years left before the game ends, is there another way to bring back Hellenism besides delving into the classics? Might try to plunge the empire into the bloodiest civil war in history and come out of it properly Roman before the Mongols show up.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

Speaking of vikings, how do prepared invasions work?

First, you need to have fewer than 50 holdings in your realm, and your target needs to hold between 9 and 50 holdings in the kingdom you're targeting (they can be bigger than that overall, just can't take a massive kingdom in one bite). You also need to have 1000 prestige. When you call one, you have up to 2 years to actually declare war against the target. During that time, a whole bunch of event troops will spawn for you. There's a bunch of factors that affect how many actually show up, but having high martial, diplomacy, and prestige will give you more dudes. It also scales to your own army size so you will get more free troops if you have a larger army already. These free troops will stick around until the invasion war ends but like most event troops they won't replenish. You won't get any more free troops once the war starts so you should probably wait for a while before declaring (but don't let the timer expire as this cancels the whole thing and you lose a bunch of prestige).

Because of the holding limitation, a prepared invasion is probably something you're only going to really do once, since winning one will likely put you over the limit. Unless you're playing some kind of gavelkind gimmick game where your realm keeps splitting and you stay small overall. Also it's treated like a holy war in that rulers that share your targets religion can freely join in against you so invading during a time of catholic unity is probably not the best idea.

Also like with other forms of invasion CB, when you win you will personally usurp any occupied holdings and vassalize the rest within the target kingdom. I'm not sure if this allows you to take holdings outside of the de jure target by occupying them first but other invasion type CBs do tend to allow you to do this.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 20, 2019

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Also like with other forms of invasion CB, when you win you will personally usurp any occupied holdings and vassalize the rest within the target kingdom. I'm not sure if this allows you to take holdings outside of the de jure target by occupying them first but other invasion type CBs do tend to allow you to do this.

It does. Just occupy the top holding. You can eat entire empires this way if you have the patience.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Coolguye posted:

yeah even when paranoid triggers your suspicions about being a cuckold you can just go "no, i trust her word." which is honestly what you want to do in like 99% of all cases really, even if you and your wife are irish just keep smiling and nodding if the baby comes out black. someone cucking you just means you got a free dynast, don't gently caress with that!

I don't know how easy it would be to program this, but obviously if the parents are pasty white Irish and the kid looks African, you should have no option to ignore it, the kid automatically gets declared illegitimate. You can't cover it up unless the midwife switches out the baby or kills it or something crazy.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 20, 2019

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Why does everyone always default to talking about your white ruler being cuckolded by Africans like it’s the only possibility. It’s pretty weird lol.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why does everyone always default to talking about your white ruler being cuckolded by Africans like it’s the only possibility. It’s pretty weird lol.

I just went with the example given.

Still, you're complaint is justified. It is definitely a problematic sentiment.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Because in this world of ours, we're trained to recognize skin color more than say, the difference between german and italian noses. Of course, there's a lot of old sayings about your kids turning out red-haired, but I'm not sure if gingers have much representation in CK2. I don't really notice them.

CK1's more crude portrait system was probably better for differentiating ethnicities, CK2's photorealism just makes all faces blur together to me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
ah yes only very normal cool people care about interracial cuckold possibilities in the video game

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Look, whoever's loving my wife and making Quick Strong kids, he can keep doing it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Serephina posted:

Hello Thread! I'm one of those filthy filthy casuals who picked up ck2 since it was free to see what all the hubbub was about. Previous experience in Stellaris, so I had an... inkling on what what to expect, especially polish-wise.

So, my game's run into two not-technically-game-ending bugs. One, my vassal antipope is loyal to himself and won't pay taxes. Hugely annoying but can be lived with. And two, my various Crown Authorities (Holding 3 kingdoms) absolutely love to randomly change: I can literally be clicking between the Kingdom Law tabs and watch them glitch out and go up and down. This second one is terrible as I see no reason to invest more time into the save if it keeps shoving inheritances out of the kingdom, forbidding me from revoking titles, all the while eating opinion penalties for high CA.

Of course, these are very well reported bugs on the paradox forums, from years and years ago to boot. Any known workarounds?

Unfortunately, I don't think you will find an answer to the crown authority bug in here. The crown authority system is totally overhauled if you have the Conclave DLC, which is one of the 4 "must have" DLCs of CK2 (as you can see in the second post of the thread, where I rank the DLCs).

That said, I think most of your problems should fix themselves if you can get an empire title.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Tatsuta Age posted:

I feel that pagan tribals are a "proper" way to start the game. They have simplified economy (you don't rely on land or buildings to generate cash, and you mostly care about prestige), they all start small and can expand fast. Then you adopt a proper religion and switch to Feudal and now you care about gold, piety, diplomacy much more. It's more similar to EU4/Stellaris/your usual 4X progression. If you start as a big feudal lord then you have a lot to manage from day 1. If you start as a vassal in a big state then it's extremely hard for you to expand (unless you're on a border with some small infidel states like in some starts in Turkey or Eastern Europe). If you start as king/emperor of Francia, HRE, Byzantine Empire then you start in the endgame. And it's weird that the game recommends you do that, I feel overwhelmed by such starts even now.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

lol wtf is this poo poo

I love that the guy is so paranoid about being cucked that he checks the save game to be sure his videogame kids are really his and at the same time wants to be able to live his cuckold fantasies in the game

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In merchant republic games, I try to get lustful on my dude and his wife, to get maximum sons. Bastards everywhere.

Although that reminds me of the time my dude died and his son was banging both his half-sisters :smith:

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

The amount of adultery and suspected adultery in CK2 is far too high to be historically accurate. Adultery (by the wife) should occur perhaps once in 20 generations.

Lmao (by the wife)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

After those pagan duelist crashed through my realm, one out of 16 of my dynasts are bears.

Nothing to see here!

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Because in this world of ours, we're trained to recognize skin color more than say, the difference between german and italian noses. Of course, there's a lot of old sayings about your kids turning out red-haired, but I'm not sure if gingers have much representation in CK2. I don't really notice them.

CK1's more crude portrait system was probably better for differentiating ethnicities, CK2's photorealism just makes all faces blur together to me.

Ck3 portraits will be even worse.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Funky Valentine posted:

Look, whoever's loving my wife and making Quick Strong kids, he can keep doing it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"Take my wife, please."
-Axayacatl XVII, Emperor of Mega-Bohemia

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

a fatguy baldspot posted:

The amount of adultery and suspected adultery in CK2 is far too high to be historically accurate. Adultery (by the wife) should occur perhaps once in 20 generations.

Lmao (by the wife)

i think this is a byproduct of there being only a hundred thousand actual people in the whole world's simulation, and some significant percentage of them choosing the "i'm horny as hell" option

like real world cuck rates would have been off the charts if 10% of the population of medieval europe were committed to adultery as a lifestyle

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

luxury handset posted:

i think this is a byproduct of there being only a hundred thousand actual people in the whole world's simulation, and some significant percentage of them choosing the "i'm horny as hell" option

like real world cuck rates would have been off the charts if 10% of the population of medieval europe were committed to adultery as a lifestyle

And if letters, people, and semen could instantly teleport around the world.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

abrosheen posted:

And if letters, people, and semen could instantly teleport around the world.

It's really convenient how the people I'm seducing always end up spending so much time in my kitchen late at night, even when they live hundreds of miles away!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Yeah he's clearly looks south Indian but poo poo, he just bench pressed a horse while doing calculus, of course he's mine."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Teleporting Cuck Kings III

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

luxury handset posted:

I think 10% of the medieval aristocracy being committed adulterers is probably low. They had a huge amount of free time, didn't marry for love or lust, and were exempted from most social norms.

The only problems with ck2 seduction is it gives super powers.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, add some events where a nameless non-noble gets found loving your wife, and you have to either hush it up or denounce your wife and the peasant's bastard. It's a much weirder scenario when you're the king of Scotland and it turns out the duke of York is the real father of your kid. Sure, not being of your blood could potentially disinherit him, but would it suddenly slide them in line for York's succession?

Maybe an event where your wife gets herself a new eunuch that it turns out still has his bits and your two kids are illegitimate.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I just turn off AI Seduction and AI Intrigue and only have to deal with cucking as a rarity, and if the cuckoo's father has better genetic traits I keep that poo poo quiet.

It would be nice to be able to expose the child after the birth if they turn out born with lovely genetic traits.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah, add some events where a nameless non-noble gets found loving your wife, and you have to either hush it up or denounce your wife and the peasant's bastard. It's a much weirder scenario when you're the king of Scotland and it turns out the duke of York is the real father of your kid. Sure, not being of your blood could potentially disinherit him, but would it suddenly slide them in line for York's succession?

Maybe an event where your wife gets herself a new eunuch that it turns out still has his bits and your two kids are illegitimate.

I sadly can't find the screenshot, but I had a pretty good laugh once when I got the "My wife is pregnant, but I was away wasn't I? - Doubt besets me." event when my character was a eunuch.

e: same thing from someone else, found by googling. I hope this hasn't been fixed

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Randarkman posted:

I sadly can't find the screenshot, but I had a pretty good laugh once when I got the "My wife is pregnant, but I was away wasn't I? - Doubt besets me." event when my character was a eunuch.

e: same thing from someone else, found by googling. I hope this hasn't been fixed

That event/the ability to marry as a eunuch used to be how you survived that one start as a famous landed Muslim eunuch, the one who has an achievement now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Randarkman posted:

Nope, still there, in latest monarch's journey my dude lost balls to cancer half way through and still had two kids of his dynasty conceived after that. What can you do, someone has to continue the secret judaism gig he has going