Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Rhyno posted:

Evans has a such a presence as Cap in that scene. When that rumor that he was going to enter politics surfaced it was hard not to imagine him making similar speeches in front of the nation.

It's my favourite scene in the MCU.

I'm amazed they made Cap work. Making an old fashioned good guy interesting is really loving hard. There's a reason people love Batman and Wolverine. But he never went dark, or anti-hero, or shades of gray, he stayed 'a good man' until everyone else changed around him. And Evans is just so goddamn likeable and sincere you can absolutely see why people follow him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

asecondduck posted:

She's married to Neil Gaiman.

I'm an idiot and posted first thing in the morning leave me alone. Also I'm starting a conspiracy theory that she used him to get close to Moore now and you can't stop me

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Alan Moore is a genius, and a creepy old crank. I have a lot of affection for the weirdo but also don’t really care about anything he’s done since about 1990. I just did a full read of his Swamp Thing run and I think it’s his peak; it’s been all downhill since then.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

For the record I am not married to Neil Gaiman but I would date him.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Alan Moore is a genius, and a creepy old crank. I have a lot of affection for the weirdo but also don’t really care about anything he’s done since about 1990. I just did a full read of his Swamp Thing run and I think it’s his peak; it’s been all downhill since then.

Supreme and Top 10 were both really good.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

For the record I am not married to Neil Gaiman but I would date him.

Good news, Amanda Palmer and Neil Gaiman have an open relationship.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

ruddiger posted:

Well no doubt if the topic came up it would be in reflection to his own work, much like the reasons Scorsese and Moore are voicing their opinion. It’s not like these quotes live in a vacuum and they just decided to barge in and poo poo on a little kid’s Iron Man themed birthday cake.

Maybe they didn't. The next round of "let's see what a crusty old grandpa thinks" news items will be that though. Because now that it's a thing that's a proven click getter, you can rest assured we'll be seeing pop culture journalists bringing us what Joe Pesci and Tommy Lee Jones think.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Tommy Lee Jones, at least, has the benefit of having been in a couple of comic book movies. But that probably wouldn’t stop him from hating them. Tommy Lee Jones doesn’t give a poo poo.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Not sure Tommy Lee Jones can lecture anyone about dodgy comic book films. Brilliant actor though he is.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I thought it was Hugo Weaving who said he doesn't care much for the comic movies, said after doing the first Captain America.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I thought he just didn’t care for personally being in the movie since he hated the extensive prosthetics?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I think he said he doesn’t find them very fulfilling, but he doesn’t mind doing one every so often for the paycheque and experience, maybe?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
It has been announced Joker 2 is in the works.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's going to be the same as the first one but in a different city.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mr Hootington posted:

Fingers crossed that it is Jeb!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

As someone who liked the first, this seems like a bad idea.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phylodox posted:

Tommy Lee Jones, at least, has the benefit of having been in a couple of comic book movies. But that probably wouldn’t stop him from hating them.

He certainly hated being in Batman Forever.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Alhazred posted:

He certainly hated being in Batman Forever.

It's not that he hated it, he just couldn't condone its buffoonery.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
He probably hated the makeup, and maybe being in the same room as peak Jim Carrey....God knows I couldn't have done it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

No it hasn't.

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1197199111037935617

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Okey dokey

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Batman Forever isn't a good movie, but Billy Dee would have done a really good job hamming it up as a Batman 66 version of Harvey Dent.

There is a version of Batman Forever starring Billy Dee Williams and Robin Williams that would have probably been the best Batman movie.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Timeless Appeal posted:

Batman Forever isn't a good movie, but Billy Dee would have done a really good job hamming it up as a Batman 66 version of Harvey Dent.

There is a version of Batman Forever starring Billy Dee Williams and Robin Williams that would have probably been the best Batman movie.

The soundtrack is loving spectacular though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Schumacher movies were campy (read: embarrassing) but they were nothing like the 1966 tv show.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Moore is a crusty old man but I think he has a sliver of a point with regards to the Klan analogy, or rather, to vigilante-ism as part of the superhero concept. It obviously isn't all of it, but it is in there, and it is obviously extremely key to some characters... some of whom get valorized by some parts of society, such as all the Punisher paraphenalia that is often popular with cops and cop-wannabes.

However, the "secret identity" aspect of superheroes seems to be getting rarer and rarer as time goes on. It's almost a non-factor in the MCU. I remember being legitimately shocked at the end of Iron Man The First when Stark dropped the line. You could probably connect this to cultural movements... there seems to be less widespread warm feelings towards anonymous do gooders (which is not necessarily itself good) but also a greater acceptance that you can build a legitimate alternate presentation of yourself.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nessus posted:

Moore is a crusty old man but I think he has a sliver of a point with regards to the Klan analogy, or rather, to vigilante-ism as part of the superhero concept. It obviously isn't all of it, but it is in there, and it is obviously extremely key to some characters... some of whom get valorized by some parts of society, such as all the Punisher paraphenalia that is often popular with cops and cop-wannabes.

However, the "secret identity" aspect of superheroes seems to be getting rarer and rarer as time goes on. It's almost a non-factor in the MCU. I remember being legitimately shocked at the end of Iron Man The First when Stark dropped the line. You could probably connect this to cultural movements... there seems to be less widespread warm feelings towards anonymous do gooders (which is not necessarily itself good) but also a greater acceptance that you can build a legitimate alternate presentation of yourself.
I think I read that DC comics recently got rid of the whole Clark Kent thing? That's following a trend. The secret identity has only been used for a few characters and the MCU as you said almost completely does away with it. The most prominent one was obviously Spider-Man, but that goes out the window at the end of the second movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think I read that DC comics recently got rid of the whole Clark Kent thing? That's following a trend. The secret identity has only been used for a few characters and the MCU as you said almost completely does away with it. The most prominent one was obviously Spider-Man, but that goes out the window at the end of the second movie.

They've done that and brought it back like three times in the past decade. Hell this is the second time they've done it in recent years.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nessus posted:

Iron Man's secret identity was functionally useless for most of his history because the hero persona was publically known to be very close to Stark and he and his company and his supporting cast were being attacked all the time anyway.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean on a literal level, but the underlying fantasy of secret identity is still key to most of the MCU characters. The appeal of a secret identity is the idea that there is this inner-self that is greater than what people--or even you--think of you on a surface level. Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, and Black Widow may not have literal secret identities, but their stories are all about accessing this great inner-self (I might seem like a skinny kid from Brooklyn, but I really have the heart of a hero). Black Panther is about a whole country having a secret identity.

Lurdiak posted:

The Schumacher movies were campy (read: embarrassing) but they were nothing like the 1966 tv show.
I don't fully disagree with you, but I do think on the villains, that's what Schumacher was going for. Get some well-known actors to dress up in costumes and chew scenery. The problem was that Jones was boring while Carey missed what made Frank Gorshin work. Because Gorshin played the character straight, despite how campy his performance was, he legitimately comes off as scary at times.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 21, 2019

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I honestly think that Tommy Lee Jones thought he was in some kind of competition against Jim Carrey in who could overact the most. There is no other justification for what he did.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!
Something that never get mentioned when talking about Super Heroes and the power fantasies around them, is no one ever mentions that a core to almost all heroes is that they think nothing of giving of themselves.

That is a complete antithesis of the Randian Superman ideal, as they are inherently selfish by nature by definition. Having one person save the day isn't inherantly day, if they put them selves at risk. Obviously we know that when the Arc Reactor blows, it won't kill Tony Stark, but at the same time within the movie itself, there is a chance it might kill him.

Renegade Cut has a good video about this idea, though he focuses on the Incredibles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPBOfW7ocK0

He's also got a good one about why Black Panther is not about how American should kick out all the non-whites
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWiq4VD_xEY

If you want a leftist view on films, its a really fantastic channel, especially check out the one on the Trump Prophecy, that poo poo is bonkers as gently caress.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Madkal posted:

I honestly think that Tommy Lee Jones thought he was in some kind of competition against Jim Carrey in who could overact the most. There is no other justification for what he did.

When I rewatched it a few years ago I hit upon the notion that Tommy Lee Jones was doing a Jim Carrey imitation and I couldn't shake it for the rest of the film

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Something that never get mentioned when talking about Super Heroes and the power fantasies around them, is no one ever mentions that a core to almost all heroes is that they think nothing of giving of themselves.

That is a complete antithesis of the Randian Superman ideal, as they are inherently selfish by nature by definition. Having one person save the day isn't inherantly day, if they put them selves at risk. Obviously we know that when the Arc Reactor blows, it won't kill Tony Stark, but at the same time within the movie itself, there is a chance it might kill him.
I think this is kind of mixed and DC tends to have a higher "Randian" proportion, while a lot of Marvel hero types are in a sense driven towards sacrifice, of an ordinary life if nothing else. I think this is also part of why the DC movies have been weird, because Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman all want to be doing what they're doing. Superman would no doubt much rather be rescuing the occasional person and doing space research for the government rather than punching out the Toyman, but he does not seem to find being Superman a distasteful burden.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah, I think sacrifice is a core component to super-heroes and just the tradition of heroes in general. Most super-hero cinema deals with the idea of heroism being a burden, but something that never-the-less must be done. It was a core component of the Raimi Spider-Mans, the Captain America films, Nolan Batmans etc. I think it's something that resonates a lot with an audience, because a lot of people have to make small sacrifices in their daily lives all the time, so it's something that can help the audience empathise with these otherwise gigantic and absurd figures.

Like anything, super-hero films are a grab bag of positive and negative ideas, but they are at this point too broad a genre to really pin down into a cohesive set of ideals. I think the problem with the hot-takes are they are trying to take this whole genre and make a conclusion about it, but really, every super-hero film and every expression of this concept needs to be taken on it's own terms. In terms of action cinema I'd say that super-hero films probably lean toward more positive vibes because super-heroes are typically more pitched at saving people rather than just killing the bad guys. I'd say there are more positive ideals in modern super-hero films then there are in eighties action cinema, but again, it's not a zero sum game, and I'm not sure I've heard a really convincing argument as to why these films are inherently bad.

asecondduck posted:

When I rewatched it a few years ago I hit upon the notion that Tommy Lee Jones was doing a Jim Carrey imitation and I couldn't shake it for the rest of the film

It doesn't help that there's nothing on the page for Tommy Lee Jones to do. Most of the interesting aspects of Two-Face character have been stripped away in the film (the dude has one of the great super-villain origins but the film starts off almost in media res with him already a bad guy). They don't utilise the coin or his hosed up chance philosophy, he's written as a second-rate Joker, and so that's what Jones played.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation

Nessus posted:

I think this is kind of mixed and DC tends to have a higher "Randian" proportion, while a lot of Marvel hero types are in a sense driven towards sacrifice, of an ordinary life if nothing else. I think this is also part of why the DC movies have been weird, because Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman all want to be doing what they're doing. Superman would no doubt much rather be rescuing the occasional person and doing space research for the government rather than punching out the Toyman, but he does not seem to find being Superman a distasteful burden.

Yea I was thinking about Man of Steel how there seems to be little danger to Superman, and his and Zods battle seems more interested in subduing each other, and not with the regular people around them. They are beneath these Gods, none of their concern. Only when directly confronted with the deaths of regular people does Kal react, when they were out of sight, he didn't care.

One of the things I really like about Batman V Superman is that it opens with Bruce running towards the disaster because he cares about regular people. I mean they're regular people that work for him, but he sure as hell was more concerned than Kal was shown.

God drat please don't let this turn into MoS Chat.

But you're right, Marvel seems way more interested in have altruistic heroes than DC has in the films.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Compare the DCCU Superman to the MCU Cap and it’s like night and day

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
One of the reasons why the Amazing movies bugged me so hard is because they were really fast and loose with the mask. Spidey is one of the very few characters on Marvel's side that has a secret identity. It gives him a unique niche in the MCU where everyone else really wears a helmet and face guard rather than a mask to conceal their identity.

But like can you imagine if the MCU had decided to go with Donald Blake?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
I always feel secret identities worked best when a small, trusted group knows it, and there ISN'T tons of lying to loved ones. I hate that, it's a real rear end in a top hat thing to do, it shows a real lack of trust of people who care about you.

Parker having all his closest friends knowing he's Spider-Man is a good change, but most importantly, Aunt May. I guess when Aunt May is 100 years old, it might kill her to know Peter is catching thieves just like flies, but not when she's like 50.

I always liked that Texts From Superheroes thing were villains are talking and one says "hey Clark Kent is Superman, lets get him!" and the other says "You think he's less invulnerable when he's on the can?".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The modern Clark reveals his secret to Lois (1991) is such a great moment. I loved the dynamic they built from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I always feel secret identities worked best when a small, trusted group knows it, and there ISN'T tons of lying to loved ones. I hate that, it's a real rear end in a top hat thing to do, it shows a real lack of trust of people who care about you.

Parker having all his closest friends knowing he's Spider-Man is a good change, but most importantly, Aunt May. I guess when Aunt May is 100 years old, it might kill her to know Peter is catching thieves just like flies, but not when she's like 50.

I always liked that Texts From Superheroes thing were villains are talking and one says "hey Clark Kent is Superman, lets get him!" and the other says "You think he's less invulnerable when he's on the can?".
I'm reminded of that moment in Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow, where the Toyman's little bastards kill Cat Grant and some other guy and ... gently caress up Clark's clothes in front of everybody.

'Hey Toyman, can you see radio waves?'