Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

SchrodingersCat posted:

I think Trump just wanted a "but her emails!", and at this point he already has it.

He won't get removed from office, and if Biden is the nominee in 2020 he'll hammer on it for six months and people will buy it. I wouldn't be surprised if Barr announced a formal investigation in October 2020 just so we can all do the time warp again.

Trump is so hated and the Dems so fired up that's probably not going to work.

Also Biden, if he's the candidate, is not a woman.

I'd be way more worried about all the myriad excuses misogynists will make for why they can't bring themselves to vote for Warren, but since we're edging close to primary chat I'll shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

LtStorm posted:

Wait, that lady next to Morrison is his counsel? Huh.

She can provide legal advice, and a Werther's if you ask nicely.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Is your gimmick to be as pessimistic as humanly possible? They got Volkner to admit there was nothing on Biden and everyone besides chuds look at Barr with complete and utter contempt

I think the part about Trump not getting removed from office is more realistic than pessimistic. Regardless of how well this is going for the Dems, and how poorly it's going for the GOP, Republicans in the Senate are super-unlikely to vote to convict under any circumstance. They are still more afraid of their own primary voters than of general election voters.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

Is your gimmick to be as pessimistic as humanly possible?

No, my nature is to be as cynical as humanly possible. It's not a gimmick, this is the hell in which I live. :D

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Seems like Volker missed a whole lot of fairly obvious poo poo for someone working in the State Department as a diplomat.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Trump is going to get loving destroyed in 2020. As soon as a frontrunner appears among Democrats you'll see more reliable polling with Trump down 10-15 points. That's when house/senate republicans flip and not a moment sooner

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Majorian posted:

I think the part about Trump not getting removed from office is more realistic than pessimistic. Regardless of how well this is going for the Dems, and how poorly it's going for the GOP, Republicans in the Senate are super-unlikely to vote to convict under any circumstance. They are still more afraid of their own primary voters than of general election voters.

yea this can still be a big win for dems and all but there is literally no way the senate removes him, it's simply not on the table. They are terrified of being anti-trump. Some house reps can do the math and decide their district is purpley enough to make 'listen I believe in what Trump was doing but a nation must have values that apply to all its people' their defense, but the senate all 100% understand they will be primaried and their seat will either go to some MAGA ghoul or get flipped if they go against Trump. You can call the Ukrainian president to congress to say 'yes Trump did the quid pro quo with us, we all knew it but couldn't say it' and the senate R's would still go 'well you can't trust him clearly he's a never trumper'.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

The thing is - if Trump just wanted a but-her-e-mails all he had to do was tweet, right? Beyond that, he could have gotten the AG to announce an investigation of something or someone (he still can), or just repeatedly retweet conspiracy theorists (more than he does) - he doesn't need to dangle meeting in the Oval Office in front of the Ukrainians unless a) he actually really wants them to investigate Hunter Biden and/or Crowdstrike (potentially because he really believes that there's a physical machine somewhere in Ukraine) b) he just wants to humiliate the Ukrainian president.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

RandomBlue posted:

Seems like Volker missed a whole lot of fairly obvious poo poo for someone working in the State Department as a diplomat.

Do not forget that Volker is a lobbyist/donor-type pokemon ambassador, not a career diplomat ambassador. His job was supposed to be a sinecure position, but rudy screwed that all up.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Also, unrelated to the above, I like Krishnamoorthi emphasizing that Volker wasn't on any of the calls involving Trump and/or Zelenskyy that are of relevance to the committee. If the first three witnesses are irrelevant because they weren't on those calls, then why are the GOP's witnesses relevant?

(because oh look at the time gotta run!)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

xarph posted:

Do not forget that Volker is a lobbyist/donor-type pokemon ambassador, not a career diplomat ambassador. His job was supposed to be a sinecure position, but rudy screwed that all up.

he's definitely the one trying to please all sides without getting charged with perjury and the feigned ignorance really shows lol

while with morrison it's clear he just wants onto the wingnut welfare circuit

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

SchrodingersCat posted:

Yeah, the Republicans know full well that no matter what is said in these hearings, the American public has the memory of a goldfish and the Senate will vote over lunch to acquit as soon as the case moves over there.

In the American mind, acquit=innocent so all the Republicans need is 5 second clips of them looking mad to play during the election cycle. That's all they are doing.

I think this is all just your opinion and I think you're wrong.

quote:

I think endgame is everything gets pinned on Sondland. Sondland is a billionaire, so he just fucks off to the land of gold toilets.

This is definitely just wrong, Sondland is like, a multi-millionaire:

quote:

Sondland’s net worth is generally estimated at at least $60 million. His fortune was developed in large part through the hotel industry on the west coast, especially in Portland, Oregon.
https://heavy.com/news/2019/10/gordon-sondland-net-worth/

quote:

Overall, Sondland reported assets worth between $78 million and $185 million.
https://www.opb.org/news/article/gordon-sondland-wealth-jet-art-house/

I do like the breezy, confident way that you put out the bullshit, though.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

xarph posted:

I was just saying he's 100% full of poo poo with his claims to be unaware of all the poo poo that was happening around him, especially as someone who was in so many of the relevant meetings.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Sondland needs to bring all the lawyers tomorrow.

All of them.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

xarph posted:

No, Volker wasn't a donor-type ambassador - he wasn't an ambassador at all, really. He was in the Foreign Service from 1988 until 2009 and then he was called back out of retirement in 2017 to be a "special representative for Ukraine negotiations", which was a position created just for him, possibly because Tillerson had no idea what to do regarding Ukraine and didn't trust anyone actually still working for the State Department.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Wow, Nunes really sucks at making his already-stupid "This is just a Democratic show!" narrative sound interesting in the slightest.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I'm seriously so excited about Sondland tomorrow.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Majorian posted:

Wow, Nunes really sucks at making his already-stupid "This is just a Democratic show!" narrative sound interesting in the slightest.

That must be why it's so boring for American viewers

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Objurium posted:

Anyone got a clip of whatever Swalwell just did handy?

This misses the setup, but best I could find
https://mobile.twitter.com/PodSaveAmerica/status/1196954101298298882

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Great summary from Adam Shiff

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

https://twitter.com/Emma_Dumain/status/1196951668631523328

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

tomapot posted:

Great summary from Adam Shiff

Holy poo poo, yeah, that closing statement was incredible. And loving devastating, just as commentary for the situation we’re looking at, in so far as how some folks are just excusing Trump’s actions as par for the course.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Idahoant posted:

I think this is all just your opinion and I think you're wrong.

Since I don't have a time machine, it is obviously my opinion. Just remember, in 2016 we were all sure that America would never be dumb enough to elect Trump president.

Wishful thinking and a positive outlook are great and all, but sometimes you just have to be prepared for the worst. We live in a country where children being locked in cages has become a non-issue because it was no longer good for the ratings. I think we can safely say we are a dystopia at this point.

I think it's important to remember that this forum and, honestly, most of our discussions and media exists in an echo chamber. There is a whole world of hateful, terrible, racist people out there who are all rock-hard at the idea of an unchained, lame-duck President Trump. I am not assuming victory until the election is over and/or he is somehow neutralized as a threat to our country.

SchrodingersCat fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 20, 2019

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Here's the whole thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyIJVbQtihw

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Gym Jordan trying to get Volker to say the phone call was leaked was hilarious.

Volker: Uhh.. no, there was a whistle blower report the IC IG notified congress about and then the President declassified and released the transcript.

Yeah, keep giving more time to Gym Jordan you idiots.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Thank you thread for getting me caught up. Cant tviv during work.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Holy poo poo did anyone Miranda Trump because if not this investigation is hosed

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Trump is asking every new person he meets if they are cops, because cops have to tell you if they are cops.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

SchrodingersCat posted:

Since I don't have a time machine, it is obviously my opinion. Just remember, in 2016 we were all sure that America would never be dumb enough to elect Trump president.

Wishful thinking and a positive outlook are great and all, but sometimes you just have to be prepared for the worst. We live in a country where children being locked in cages has become a non-issue because it was no longer good for the ratings. I think we can safely say we are a dystopia at this point.

I think it's important to remember that this forum and, honestly, most of our discussions and media exists in an echo chamber. There is a whole world of hateful, terrible, racist people out there who are all rock-hard at the idea of an unchained, lame-duck President Trump. I am not assuming victory until the election is over and/or he is somehow neutralized as a threat to our country.

So you're good for some cynicism and some confidently stated but wrong info, and then when you get corrected you blither.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1196828788346277889?s=19

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

SchrodingersCat posted:

I don't think people quite grasp how much young people loving despise Trump. Vote or Die in 2004 was corporate branded resistance aimed at 20 somethings. And it didn't work. This is something all together different. Most Americans think Trump is gonna win, and yet Democratic voters are more excited about an election than they were in November 2008 and 2012. That's with no candidate.

Polling was inaccurate in 2016 because their turnout models were based on Obama presidential cycles. Voters aren't approaching 2020 with apathy. Everyone likes to bitch that the country is dominated by idiot racists. But less than 30% of the adult population in the US voted for Trump and a solid half of those voted him in not because they think Trump is awesome, but because he had an R next to his name.

We're gonna see youth turnout at the polls that we haven't seen in decades. Republicans can figure out the poo poo storm that's headed their way if they pay attention. That's the impeachment and conviction scenario. Otherwise they can acquit in the Senate, point at the polls and scream fake news up until November next year and watch as they lose both houses and the executive branch. Next year is shaping up to be a good rear end year

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

oxsnard posted:

I don't think people quite grasp how much young people loving despise Trump. Vote or Die in 2004 was corporate branded resistance aimed at 20 somethings. And it didn't work. This is something all together different. Most Americans think Trump is gonna win, and yet Democratic voters are more excited about an election than they were in November 2008 and 2012. That's with no candidate.

Polling was inaccurate in 2016 because their turnout models were based on Obama presidential cycles. Voters aren't approaching 2020 with apathy. Everyone likes to bitch that the country is dominated by idiot racists. But less than 30% of the adult population in the US voted for Trump and a solid half of those voted him in not because they think Trump is awesome, but because he had an R next to his name.

We're gonna see youth turnout at the polls that we haven't seen in decades. Republicans can figure out the poo poo storm that's headed their way if they pay attention. That's the impeachment and conviction scenario. Otherwise they can acquit in the Senate, point at the polls and scream fake news up until November next year and watch as they lose both houses and the executive branch. Next year is shaping up to be a good rear end year

The other big problem is for the GOP is the white suburban voters have turned on them. This is part Trump but also that many of these are younger 30-40 year older moving into these districts who are much more liberal.

They would be best to convict him in the Senate, get Pence in there who announces he will not run for election and they throw another unconnected candidate in there by early Spring, that way they at least have a chance. But like you said they will likely acquit him in the Senate which will cause an even more massive blue wave in response. They live in their bullshit bubble and do not realize the backlash that is coming. One would think that the Virginia, Kentucky and Louisiana losses would have given some pause.

It is also very strange that the GOP is putting that much political capital on smearing Joe Biden which anyone with half a brain would have realized he was never going to be the nominee.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Djarum posted:

The other big problem is for the GOP is the white suburban voters have turned on them. This is part Trump but also that many of these are younger 30-40 year older moving into these districts who are much more liberal.

They would be best to convict him in the Senate, get Pence in there who announces he will not run for election and they throw another unconnected candidate in there by early Spring, that way they at least have a chance. But like you said they will likely acquit him in the Senate which will cause an even more massive blue wave in response. They live in their bullshit bubble and do not realize the backlash that is coming. One would think that the Virginia, Kentucky and Louisiana losses would have given some pause.

It is also very strange that the GOP is putting that much political capital on smearing Joe Biden which anyone with half a brain would have realized he was never going to be the nominee.

The best thing for the party would be for Trump to keel over dead or resign. And then replace him with Nikki Haley. Removal is a lose lose situation because any gains from decorum/"both sides" voters wouldnt make up for the losses in the red cap crew

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

oxsnard posted:

The best thing for the party would be for Trump to keel over dead or resign. And then replace him with Nikki Haley. Removal is a lose lose situation because any gains from decorum/"both sides" voters wouldnt make up for the losses in the red cap crew

Nikki Haley is now tainted as well. The GOP is going to want a clean break from Trump, especially if they are going to pivot like they need to.

As for the Res Cap crew, they aren’t going anywhere. They aren’t going to vote for Democrats and while they might bitch and moan for a bit they will fall in like because they are mindless idiots that follow what Fox News tells them to.

It’s like the Qanon stuff. I am convinced it is some Goon who decided to gently caress with these idiots and see what would be the thing that would be too outlandish for them to believe.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It'd be nice if the Trump admin was Nixon-like in its radioactivity but then I remember Rummsfeld escaped by virtue of being such an rear end he was sent to like Siberia and returned to plague us later.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Lol

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1196933059679051776

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yeah it's completely insane that the people they thought might be favorable were almost indistinguishably as damning as the others who have testified. I'm reminded of the interviews from senators a few weeks back where the consensus was 'whatever play Mitch calls, we will run' and there is a point where the concern absolutely shifts from getting primaried to the general

Today was such a shitshow for the GOP start to finish. Jordan looked lovely even by sound-bite seeking standards and that clip of him having Hill's exceptional performance review of Vinland read back to him is 100% going to be the takeaway from today. Nunes never looks like anything other than a total hack, but he looked in even worse form than normal today

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 20, 2019

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

oxsnard posted:

i really hope you are right.

cable news does seem to think that no one under 50 exists. they seem to still treat millenials as 18-21 year olds instead of 30+ adults with kids. I dunno if age tracks with likelihood to vote but it would be hilarious if the democrats took the senate.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Also just want to add that it owns that Gym Jordan's covering up of sex crimes is one of the main things people are learning about him from this whole process. gently caress him, he deserves to have that on a chyron every time he goes on tv or shows his face in public

Spite posted:

i really hope you are right.

cable news does seem to think that no one under 50 exists. they seem to still treat millenials as 18-21 year olds instead of 30+ adults with kids. I dunno if age tracks with likelihood to vote but it would be hilarious if the democrats took the senate.

As far as their viewership goes, they might as well not exist outside of one or two time slots per day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I don't understand why Schiff didn't take the time to correct Nunes and point out that it was in fact at the behest of him they added these two witnesses...