Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

OctoberCountry posted:

I like Taibbi but I stopped listening after he didn't push back any at Rogan whining about not getting to be transphobic on social media

This was how I felt too. Joe doesn't know any better that Milo ain't the hill to die on, but c'mon Matt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Helsing posted:

Try actually reading Foucault instead of whatever terrible grad student blog you're relying on

all iv heard about post-modernism makes it seem like intentionally crack-pinging your brain, or just a huge waste of time all round

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

who says the street fight fellas don't like good music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsfKxXOyml8

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Doc Hawkins posted:

this exceeded my (low) expectations and then some

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
managed to avoid high hopes until chapo got me. this really is fight song all over again.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Doc Hawkins posted:

that ruled a lot

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
the hosts of struggle session all seem like very nice people but it’s a bad podcast. I don’t care how hot the takes are or how much I disagree with them, but despite offering a “leftist look at media” they rarely actually do that. in fact often times they just agree with what the internet at large is already saying, and they don’t elaborate or say anything interesting. like you assume their episode about how Batman v Superman is good, actually, will have something to back it up but they just spend an hour saying “come on folks! it’s good! come on!”

Halloween Jack posted:

The latest Behind the Bastards starts off with some Concerns about the Epstein case and its followers, then tells the tale of the sordid but lucrative career of Michael Baden.

Look, I understand that there's a distinction between these two narratives: First, that Jeffrey Epstein personally threatened to harm journalists or blackmail their bosses if they didn't spike stories about him. And second, that media outlets self-censored because Epstein is wealthy and powerful, and he's shored up his reputation through philanthropy, and they can't prove anything for certain. I know that there's a distinction, but I just don't see why I should really care all that much. The takeaway is the same.

your only solution at this point is to just stop listening to all the ex-Cracked folks, everyone outside of Cody is getting stupider as time goes on and I don’t even want to think about what their crossover pod is like

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

wasn't leslie lee one of the weirdos saying women speaking about their sexual harassment/abuse during metoo were making it up or something

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Halloween Jack posted:

The latest Behind the Bastards starts off with some Concerns about the Epstein case and its followers, then tells the tale of the sordid but lucrative career of Michael Baden.

Look, I understand that there's a distinction between these two narratives: First, that Jeffrey Epstein personally threatened to harm journalists or blackmail their bosses if they didn't spike stories about him. And second, that media outlets self-censored because Epstein is wealthy and powerful, and he's shored up his reputation through philanthropy, and they can't prove anything for certain. I know that there's a distinction, but I just don't see why I should really care all that much. The takeaway is the same.

the best idea is to not engage with what a NATO funded anarchist thinks about anything

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
Folks, I listened to the Bellingcat dipshit's podcast, and guess what: It's bad.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gh0stpinballa posted:

wasn't leslie lee one of the weirdos saying women speaking about their sexual harassment/abuse during metoo were making it up or something

no you're thinking of the other guy they had on i think

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Listening to other podcasts has made it very obvious why Chapo became so popular. Will is mostly responsible for this (he has a talent for keeping things organized and scheduled while keeping a more informal tone that disguises this; once you look for it, it becomes very obvious how he always cuts tangents off before they become too long), but Felix is also unusually funny, at least to me, and Matt sorta balances it out as this sort of "everyman."

Usually podcasts that don't involve a clear huge amount of preparation and organization (like Citations Needed, which is limited in its frequency of content by it's high quality) end up sort of rambling. Struggle Session has this problem. Leslie Lee III is cool and a great poster, but not as entertaining in a podcast format.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Prince Myshkin posted:

Folks, I listened to the Bellingcat dipshit's podcast, and guess what: It's bad.

Okay, maybe someone here can answer me on what exactly happened with Brown Moses? Early on during the Syrian Civil War, he was just a poster, and as it developed he became quite popular. Even when he started Bellingcat, people still liked him...and then there's silence for a while, and then everyone hates the guy. I get that people are saying he's a CIA stooge of some sort, but what happened here that he became persona non grata? When did the face-heel turn happen?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol

https://twitter.com/donoteat1/status/1194631547304808462

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

TheBalor posted:

Okay, maybe someone here can answer me on what exactly happened with Brown Moses? Early on during the Syrian Civil War, he was just a poster, and as it developed he became quite popular. Even when he started Bellingcat, people still liked him...and then there's silence for a while, and then everyone hates the guy. I get that people are saying he's a CIA stooge of some sort, but what happened here that he became persona non grata? When did the face-heel turn happen?

https://off-guardian.org/2015/08/18/the-tragi-comedy-that-is-brown-moses/

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

Listening to other podcasts has made it very obvious why Chapo became so popular. Will is mostly responsible for this (he has a talent for keeping things organized and scheduled while keeping a more informal tone that disguises this; once you look for it, it becomes very obvious how he always cuts tangents off before they become too long), but Felix is also unusually funny, at least to me, and Matt sorta balances it out as this sort of "everyman."

Usually podcasts that don't involve a clear huge amount of preparation and organization (like Citations Needed, which is limited in its frequency of content by it's high quality) end up sort of rambling. Struggle Session has this problem. Leslie Lee III is cool and a great poster, but not as entertaining in a podcast format.

Street Fight has this issue, which I've noticed as I've been listening. Someone will be building to a point, setting up threads of argument that on Chapo would culminate in a Felix rant or Will deconstructing someone's argument, and then they just trail off or someone interrupts and it never gets back to whatever they were trying to say.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

TheBalor posted:

He got famous for using Wikipedia and Twitter to "analyze" the civil war. This was part of his "citizen journalism" idea, and even had the audacity to try and run workshops and poo poo about "citizen journalism." This somehow made him an expert on Syria, and now he works/worked for the Atlantic Council. Atlantic Council is the CIA/NATO connection.

I think plenty of leftists on here always hated him, he was more popular in DnD.

Other posters please correct me if I got it wrong.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Oh, so he's just a useful idiot, then? That's disappointing. Those are a dime a dozen nowadays, but I was hoping for something more dramatic. About all you can expect from a goon, though.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I don't understand what use he supposedly has been

e:

Big Dick Cheney posted:

now he works/worked for the Atlantic Council. Atlantic Council is the CIA/NATO connection.

ohhh, ty

e2: vvvv and you

Doc Hawkins has issued a correction as of 00:42 on Nov 20, 2019

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Anti-muslim and anti-russian hysteria.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

I knew he was a crank but I didn't know he uploaded a photo to fotoforensics.com and on that basis said Russia was manipulating satellite imagery

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

OctoberCountry posted:

I like Taibbi but I stopped listening after he didn't push back any at Rogan whining about not getting to be transphobic on social media

this was also trash, but the sort of trash i was prepared for

TheBalor posted:

he was always an internet detective who relied on wikipedia for expertise, but was sort of neat even though he bought all into the NATO narrative on Syria. After he revealed a CIA weapons line from the balkans to yugoslavia on his blog though, he got funded by NATO backed NGOs so he would never do that again. Which I guess for him personally was a professional success

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

I knew he was a crank but I didn't know he uploaded a photo to fotoforensics.com and on that basis said Russia was manipulating satellite imagery

And then got dunked on by the owner of said website.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ytlaya posted:

I have to wonder how much of it too is Brendan and later Chris being really good at editing out dumb tangents

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
its definitely in larger part due to Will. check the quality in other podcasts when he is a guest versus the same podcast without dad.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
will was an editor before he became a podcast baron. i'm not surprised he keeps everything on-topic and streamlined

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah I’ve tried to pick up other podcasts but I just can’t stand anything outside my core few for multiple reasons

even those have their bad moments sometimes, like when streetfight had the obnoxiously drunk co-host episode, I almost gave up getting through that one

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
plugging boonta vista yet again – they've got a good, chapoesque pace + level of prep

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I think that's enough postive press on top of their appearance on QAAnon that I'll check them out

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

your only solution at this point is to just stop listening to all the ex-Cracked folks, everyone outside of Cody is getting stupider as time goes on and I don’t even want to think about what their crossover pod is like

Karl Smallwood fascinates me as he, once in a while, will just straight up poo poo out a Pro Musk/Thiel episode and its like he's trying to keep the original spirit of reading Cracked years ago alive, while even Seanbaby actually bothered to evolve his policies despite being an internet living fossil.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Cracked really hosed me up with their lovely pop psychology listicles in my formative years.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Chapo has ruined podcasts with ads for me. like cum town ads are fine because they riff on the ad but I’m not trying to hear about blue apron or whatever ads have become since 2016.

also Jesus Chapo is coming up on 4 years.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

also Jesus Chapo is coming up on 4 years.

It's crazy to think about how much it's changed since the start. Will got fat...

That's it that's the only change.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

It's crazy to think about how much it's changed since the start. Will got fat...

Felix read some books, don't forget that part

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

when chapo started felix loved family court, whereas now he's really into the idea of driving a car into a wall at a speed that will instantly vapourize his body

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Farm Frenzy posted:

when chapo started felix loved family court, whereas now he's really into the idea of driving a car into a wall at a speed that will instantly vapourize his body

GOTTA HAVE HIGH HIGH HOPES FOR A LIVING

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Gripweed posted:

not true, virgil also got fat

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Matt went from dressing like a baby to an extremely old man with no in-between whatsoever

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You were all hankering for Matt to get divorced and become a Bracelets Guy, and this is your just deserts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

TheBalor posted:

Oh, so he's just a useful idiot, then? That's disappointing. Those are a dime a dozen nowadays, but I was hoping for something more dramatic. About all you can expect from a goon, though.

do you remember the little syrian girl named bana alabed who was tweeting to trump to start bombing syria to free her people? bellingcat went on a huge thing to prove that she existed - of course she was a little girl being exploited by the people around her to advocate for intervention in the most cynical way imaginable- she quite obviously was not writing any tweets or whatever. this all resulted in her being trotted out on stage by brown moses in a truly grotesque display of child exploitation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOLMFtIBc-g

so there’s your spicy content, a little girl with little awareness of what’s happening around her goes on stage with a useful idiot goon, surrounded by a bunch of spook and spook adjacent people, all as part of a perverse spectacle revolving around trying to justify bombing people in syria for freedom

he sucks bigly