Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I'd be down for more technologically advanced planes, but i doubt WotC will actually go in that direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

insert urzas_rage(inv).png here.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I liken it to so many people trying to make "the anime RPG" or "the Steampunk RPG." They're aesthetics people are trying to make into genres, and they never translate well into gameplay.

Like, Netrunner had difficulties feeling cyberpunk at times and the games mechanics were built around an asymmetrical balance of the little guy fighting the monolithic faceless corporation. The idea of hacking, of corporate espionage, or crushing the small, all were intrinsic to the game.

How would you even do cyberpunk magic? More vehicles? More equipment? Okay I guess.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Cyberpunk Magic would probably mostly be about the art direction right

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

sit on my Facebook posted:

Cyberpunk Magic would probably mostly be about the art direction right

Yes. Snapcaster Chandras all the way down.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

I liken it to so many people trying to make "the anime RPG" or "the Steampunk RPG." They're aesthetics people are trying to make into genres, and they never translate well into gameplay.

Like, Netrunner had difficulties feeling cyberpunk at times and the games mechanics were built around an asymmetrical balance of the little guy fighting the monolithic faceless corporation. The idea of hacking, of corporate espionage, or crushing the small, all were intrinsic to the game.

How would you even do cyberpunk magic? More vehicles? More equipment? Okay I guess.

I don't want to get into a game design theory discussion, but is it possible those game mechanics don't feel sci-fi enough is that you're so used to those mechanics being coded as fantasy? As in: this is a card that I pay a cost for and play it from my hand, it has an effect and then is put into my discard pile. That feels like a spell, because Magic does that, even though this might be "Orbital Bombardment" instead of Fireball in this hypothetical game. Fantasy is the default for basically every genre of game, so it's going to feel like Magic or Dungeons & Dragons with laser beams and hacking no matter what.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Remember when Wizards had fun with their website?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Magic: The Gathering: Big Jitte Goth GF

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Wow. gently caress. Quareen.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

It inspired me to make a fake card reveal for a custom magic contest a while ago.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I swear that back in the days of Odyssey / Onslaught that there was a leak that they were looking for "magipunk" artists and people made a stink about it. In 2003-ish terms, of course. There was no twitter, so you had to work to shitpost.

Also, holy poo poo is there nothing I want less than MtG 'megacorporations'. (Even though you could uncharitably describe the Ravnica guilds as that.)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

LifeLynx posted:

I don't want to get into a game design theory discussion, but is it possible those game mechanics don't feel sci-fi enough is that you're so used to those mechanics being coded as fantasy? As in: this is a card that I pay a cost for and play it from my hand, it has an effect and then is put into my discard pile. That feels like a spell, because Magic does that, even though this might be "Orbital Bombardment" instead of Fireball in this hypothetical game. Fantasy is the default for basically every genre of game, so it's going to feel like Magic or Dungeons & Dragons with laser beams and hacking no matter what.

It really is just the language and setting. It's impossible not to compare other card games to Magic because Magic is the ur-trading card game.

Change the word "magic" to "psionics" and place the setting in something that resembles the present or the future and you're set. Psionics are just magic. The Force is just magic.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Magnetic North posted:

I swear that back in the days of Odyssey / Onslaught that there was a leak that they were looking for "magipunk" artists and people made a stink about it. In 2003-ish terms, of course. There was no twitter, so you had to work to shitpost.

Also, holy poo poo is there nothing I want less than MtG 'megacorporations'. (Even though you could uncharitably describe the Ravnica guilds as that.)
Yeah, Ravnica guilds are as close as I ever want to see any sort of cyberpunk/matrix/shadowrun type poo poo in MtG. Ignoring that it would be a massive genre shift akin to giving Gandalf an AR-15, there is no greater than 0% chance that WotC would do such a thing well. It would be Kamigawa all over again, except instead of lovely mechanics on a sort-of-interesting plane, we'd have lovely mechanics on a dumbass plane full of "I spend the afternoon reading wikipedia" tropes.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Your reminder that Experimental Frenzy and Runaway Steam-kin are good cards.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/510600665?t=4h32m35s

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Your reminder that Experimental Frenzy and Runaway Steam-kin are good cards.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/510600665?t=4h32m35s

Flame Javelin is a pretty cool guy. Eh deals 4 damage for 3 mana and doesn't afraid of anything.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any expansion outside of "magical antiquity" and "classical fantasy" would be exciting imo. But the playerbase would have a shitfit so it's never going to happen.

Maybe if they marketed it as a separate product like "Magic the Gathering: [Something]" and didn't release it along the standard set rotation (i.e. not standard legal), regular magic players wouldn't be too grossed out. Maybe make a cyberpunk Un-set.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I think cyberpunk could be super cool and flavorful if handled correctly and I 100% do not trust Hasbros of the Coast to handle it with the care and respect it requires.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Are we talking actual cyberpunk, or are we talking "wow cool robot"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Jabor posted:

It's "wow, cool robot." It's always that one.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Am I telling Jace to get in a robot

Or am I telling someone to get into a robotic Jace

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Devor posted:

robotic Jace
that's just tezzeret

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Jabor posted:

Computers are illusion magic, cyborgs are artifact zombies or whatever in the vein of Theros Returned and Amonkhet Eternals, drones are thopters, hacking fucks with parameters of 'networks' and 'machines' by altering access permissions (Dimir), destroying parameters (Rakdos), memetic transformation of code (Gruul), pacifying defenses (Selesnya) or seizing control of them (Azorius). Interfaced with through psionics/scrying, etc.

I think Shadowrun would be fine but Netrunner would be gross and homogenising.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jabor posted:

They tried to do real Japanese mythology but the players just wanted "wow cool ninja big jitte goth gf."

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Devor posted:

Am I telling Jace to get in a robot

Or am I telling someone to get into a robotic Jace

I'm so hosed up...

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Didn't the CommanderVS guys have a deck on a while ago that was just "hands.dec"?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

Nah, definitely not. Netrunner's issues were more that sometimes it felt like it was the poor megacorp fighting against the cackling uberhacker, which is antithetical to punk motifs. It was great thematically beyond that.

And I don't believe I ever thought of Scorched Earth as a fireball. Partly because mechanically it was tied into needing to know where the hacker's pitiful meat was.

More the issue is magic is intrinsically already, well, Magic. Izzet stuff could already be considered punk-esque, but everything in the game will be constrained by the language extant in the game already. By nature everything will be symmetrical, and design has already shown how fundamental that is. Even, for instance, Gruul which should have been the urPunks of Ravnica were simply yet another faction, balanced and similar.

Balance and symmetry are important. We can't have a guild that is all 8 Mana game enders and another that is 1-3 Mana spells that are all only useful when they work together. So the very imbalance necessary for -punk to work is absent.

I may very well be wrong. And I think it could be fun to have a more modernesque art direction for a set. But jumping to a cyberpunk plane of glass towers and hacking would be, in my opinion, really hard to thematically bring about.

Magipunk is already hard enough for WotC to do.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/olivertomajko/status/1196835666589626369?s=21

I think this is a really interesting thread and worth a read

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

The Clowner posted:

Any expansion outside of "magical antiquity" and "classical fantasy" would be exciting imo. But the playerbase would have a shitfit so it's never going to happen.

Maybe if they marketed it as a separate product like "Magic the Gathering: [Something]" and didn't release it along the standard set rotation (i.e. not standard legal), regular magic players wouldn't be too grossed out. Maybe make a cyberpunk Un-set.

Bout time they finally made use of the Deckmaster branding I'd say

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If anime ruins an other thing I love I don't think I have the strength to go on.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

DangerDongs posted:

If anime ruins an other thing I love I don't think I have the strength to go on.

you are weak

Odovaucer
Oct 23, 2003
Ostrogoth

The Clowner posted:

we're just not gonna talk about Mirrodin or Kaladesh at all in this thread huh

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/olivertomajko/status/1196835666589626369?s=21

I think this is a really interesting thread and worth a read

Capping events would be a step in the right direction but they would likely be attending all of the Opens anyways. Unless someone had a particularly strong start to the year or won the first Invitational. Even with the Pro Points Club cap I've known of people who travel great distances towards the end of the year to try and spike an event for Silver/Gold.

Thought they messed around with IQs at some point regarding points. Anyways an easy fix for that would just make it so you don't earn any unless you have less than some number that all of the grinders will have anyways.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Probably the biggest thing would be to use point thresholds instead of a leaderboard.

As it is, you need to play every event because if you don't, the other people around you will, and you'll actually lose positioning.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I did the survey, voted 1 on every thing in Dominara and told them to go back to New Phyrexia instead. This will accomplish nothing, but it made me feel better.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mat Cauthon posted:

There were a ton of questions in the survey about anime and mainstream Japanese pop culture, which makes me think we're gonna see "Throne of Eldraine but with IP-friendly references to all your favorite animes" at some point in the near future.

"Casting my Notebook of Judgement, naming Geveta, Prince of Taiyans"

mandatory lesbian posted:

the question about anime hosed me up cause now i cant think of anything other then how much i want a mtg take on neon genesis evangelion

get in the robot jace

urza already forced his friends into suicide machines to fight unspeakable horrors!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://mtgazone.com/twitch-rivals-mtg-arena-decklists/

Lee Shi Tian deciding to go with the weakest colour possible and making it anyway

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Eej posted:

Lee Shi Tian deciding to go with the weakest colour possible and making it anyway

HOW is this even a deck

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Eej posted:

Hot drat that deck costs $20. With sideboard it's $62, mostly because of Gideon Backblade. More of this please.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Eej posted:

You want to talk about a pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I am *this* close to setting up Arena on my mac so I can jump back into standard, although I haven't played in a hot minute.