Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jetrauben posted:

What's weird is also that it feels pretty rare for this to actually matter outside of moves like Dark Mind? Like *bosses'* elements matter when it's part of combo like Ferdiad Hollow, but the game is usually just flat Higher Number, right?

It seems very antiquated yeah. I can see how it matters for player abilities in certain cases (ie, pld using resquiescat vs FoF) but in terms of incoming damage it’s weird, i wouldn’t be surprised to see that distinction disappear in a future patch)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i don't quite remember, does that screen mean they're coming up on the intro of the warriors of darkness?

i'm still enamored of the voice acting in the outro scenes for that :allears:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

thats after the intro iirc. during the part where you are actively engaged with them

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Ainsley McTree posted:

It seems very antiquated yeah. I can see how it matters for player abilities in certain cases (ie, pld using resquiescat vs FoF) but in terms of incoming damage it’s weird, i wouldn’t be surprised to see that distinction disappear in a future patch)

A lot of the boss side of things frankly has more mechanically complex/classic FF mechanics. It's a weird quirk. MMO mechanics are just Weird and deliberately simplistic.

It's like how the meat of most encounters is usually reacting to the boss's attacks. Your own rotation is just taken as a given. FF14 certainly has a lot more spatial mechanics than other MMOs in terms of "sabotage/don't get hit by the big attack" which is why stuff like the plethora of cooldowns in the game feels very antiquated.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ciaphas posted:

i don't quite remember, does that screen mean they're coming up on the intro of the warriors of darkness?

i'm still enamored of the voice acting in the outro scenes for that :allears:

it's more about them figuring out who the guy in the screenshot is

and it's great

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

StrixNebulosa posted:

and it's great

Right - I couldn't remember if that was from an earlier patch or not, though

... I just rewatched (well, listened to) the outro scene and it still gives me goosebumps a bit, won't lie :shobon:

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
It used to matter more because there were more CDs that cared about the difference. Namely, Paladin block only blocked physical attacks, Bulwark existed/Sheltron did not, and most importantly the formula for block strength (and Parry) included strength that made them much more effective.

Fun fact, shields at the end of ARR would block upwards of 30% damage. They only would get back up to 30% at the end of Stormblood and now have regressed back to 20% (Titania shield and Edengrace Shield are the same block strength and rate).

Oh, and PLD used to have strength down on their only combo, while int down was limited to if a MNK was brought, or later, DRK.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 20, 2019

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Jetrauben posted:

A lot of the boss side of things frankly has more mechanically complex/classic FF mechanics. It's a weird quirk. MMO mechanics are just Weird and deliberately simplistic.

It's like how the meat of most encounters is usually reacting to the boss's attacks. Your own rotation is just taken as a given. FF14 certainly has a lot more spatial mechanics than other MMOs in terms of "sabotage/don't get hit by the big attack" which is why stuff like the plethora of cooldowns in the game feels very antiquated.

This is also partially difficulty tuning. The easiest response to tanks and healers who question "why don't they make content that requires all the mitigation they give us? Why do we spend so much time doing DPS instead of GCD healing?" is "do ultimate."

As I've said before, early-prog savage does get you some of that, but in the end, thus far only ultimate (and odd side content like potd) has required healers to be quite so rapid in reactions to fixing situations with their actual MP spending heals.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hyper Inferno posted:

It used to matter more because there were more CDs that cared about the difference. Namely, Paladin block only blocked physical attacks, Bulwark existed/Sheltron did not, and most importantly the formula for block strength (and Parry) included strength that made them much more effective.

Fun fact, shields at the end of ARR would block upwards of 30% damage. They only would get back up to 30% at the end of Stormblood and now have regressed back to 20% (Titania shield and Edengrace Shield are the same block strength and rate).

Oh, and PLD used to have strength down on their only combo, while int down was limited to if a MNK was brought, or later, DRK.

Yeah, there seems to be a gradual paring back of defensive cooldowns that distinguish between phys and mag defense, that's why it's so surprising to me to see the ones that are still there. I'm just assuming eventually they'll all go away, but in the meantime I will stick to my usual tanking strategy of picking an available DCD at random every 20 seconds and hoping things just kind of work out

e: this is my trash pull strat, anyway; for bosses i spend the extra brain cell to wait for the big single target hit before pressing a button

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 20, 2019

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Weirdly positive groups tonight in dungeon roulettes.

1. End up in a group that's me (Roegadyn) and 3 lalafells. "I feel unusually tall..." One of them said "it's like we're on a field trip!"

2. Had a tank in Tam Tara who teaches the group that Yarzons (the tall daddy longlegs monsters) don't aggro you if you walk past them. Since they use sound instead of sight. Blew my mind.

3. Someone said they like the white suit glam I'm using for healer gear. :3: I like it too, even if it's just Scaevan gear with the Scion Adventurer jacket. It goes really well with the AST idle pose.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

StrixNebulosa posted:

and it's great

I was completely oblivious and blown away by the reveal...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Weirdly positive groups tonight in dungeon roulettes.

1. End up in a group that's me (Roegadyn) and 3 lalafells. "I feel unusually tall..." One of them said "it's like we're on a field trip!"

2. Had a tank in Tam Tara who teaches the group that Yarzons (the tall daddy longlegs monsters) don't aggro you if you walk past them. Since they use sound instead of sight. Blew my mind.

3. Someone said they like the white suit glam I'm using for healer gear. :3: I like it too, even if it's just Scaevan gear with the Scion Adventurer jacket. It goes really well with the AST idle pose.

https://xivnomnom.tumblr.com/post/142101312502/new-comic-this-ones-based-on-a-true-story-all

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is there any particularly good way to level Fishing now? Compared to Botanist and Miner it feels rear end-slow.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You pay 30k per fish for 6 total for a leve

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hyper Inferno posted:

And warriors had a -10% debuff to ALL damage done that they could keep up all the time (though at a slight dps loss). No other class had a similar debuff. In addition to their slashing debuff, which helped out their co-tank as well as ninjas, this made warriors practically mandatory for all of ARR and HW.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

the_steve posted:

Just wrapped the HW Goldsmithing questchain. Not gonna lie, that was pretty :3:

This is the best (arguably best non-DRK, but I think I'd actually just say best) class questline in the game.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was completely oblivious and blown away by the reveal...

Like, I knew Urianger was up to some shady poo poo consorting with the Ascians, but I didn't realise he's actually one of the Warriors of Darkness!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Is there any particularly good way to level Fishing now? Compared to Botanist and Miner it feels rear end-slow.

I did it via daily GC turn-ins. Obviously this is as rear end-slow as you can get, in terms of setting the calendar date for hitting 80, but the actual time spent fishing was pretty low

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Yes. It was pretty much exactly like that, except with me following behind throwing cards at them.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

I did fishing 100 percent legit back before they made it quicker to level even. I watched a lot of TV and movies while doing it and now I totally have Stockholm's and love fishing.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Zeruel posted:

Like, I knew Urianger was up to some shady poo poo consorting with the Ascians, but I didn't realise he's actually one of the Warriors of Darkness!

:)

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
TPS’ write up on how they solved Fate Calibration

https://twitter.com/ffsfia/status/1196906635278446592?s=21

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
So... what I'm getting is that no one on their team knows what a difference engine is.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Are healer damage supposed to be this pathetic? I'm questing in heavensward and my astrologian is barely tickling enemies. I switch back to my dragoon and stab them to death in matter of seconds. Both are 52. Leveling is going to be a big pain.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Astrologian does the weakest DPS in the game by a fair margin because they buff party damage out the rear end.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have only been leveling my healer in dungeons.

Once you have gravity and malefic ii AST seems decent enough though

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Velveteen posted:

Are healer damage supposed to be this pathetic? I'm questing in heavensward and my astrologian is barely tickling enemies. I switch back to my dragoon and stab them to death in matter of seconds. Both are 52. Leveling is going to be a big pain.

What's your gear look like? AST has low DPS but not that low.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
On NIN 76+ should I use Hyoshu Ranryu with Kassatsu or should I stick with Raiton? I can't tell if the 1200 potency for HR is before or after including the 30% boost from Kassatsu since I need to have used Kassatsu to cast it :saddowns:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

On NIN 76+ should I use Hyoshu Ranryu with Kassatsu or should I stick with Raiton? I can't tell if the 1200 potency for HR is before or after including the 30% boost from Kassatsu since I need to have used Kassatsu to cast it :saddowns:

It's before, and it hits like a loving truck. Always always use HR when you can.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Fister Roboto posted:

It's before, and it hits like a loving truck. Always always use HR when you can.

Okay, it helps it looks pretty cool

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Velveteen posted:

Did you bird up? By which I mean, your chocobo. Remember the words of Christ: "Gas 'em up with the greens and watch 'em go"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No I snailed down

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Ibblebibble posted:

What's your gear look like? AST has low DPS but not that low.

Just the level 50 quest gear and a level 50 weapon I bought from the shop. But I am fighting level 50 monsters outside of Ishgard.

On another note. What have they done to the voices of everyone! This is all wrong. They changed right? I'm not going crazy right?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Arist posted:

No I snailed down
I made a big goof because I assumed it was Chopper asking why healers have bad DPS

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Velveteen posted:

On another note. What have they done to the voices of everyone! This is all wrong. They changed right? I'm not going crazy right?

Yes, the great Voice Actor Changeover is in HW and it owns

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Velveteen posted:

Just the level 50 quest gear and a level 50 weapon I bought from the shop. But I am fighting level 50 monsters outside of Ishgard.

There is a pretty big jump from the 2.x to 3.0 creature power level. I remember getting wrecked by those owl creatures in the first zone. If you haven’t, make sure to spend your poetic tomestones on the artifact gear in Mor Dhona. It is a large jump in power level over the 50 quest items.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Velveteen posted:

Is that ilvl 100 gear? If so, it's a bit on the low end but it's acceptable. AST damage is pretty bad though, especially compared to Dragoon.

And yeah, a whole new voice team.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Velveteen posted:

What's the ilevel of the gear? Level 50 stuff is everything from the end of ARR to the beginning of HW. Killing things is going to be way easier in the HW level 50 starting gear than it would be in the stuff from ARR.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ive noticed that i feel like my dps is real rear end every time i jump from end of expansion content to the new expansion even though they are the same level. i think they have buffed monster hp each time or something.

wizardofloneliness posted:

Killing things is going to be way easier in the HW level 50 starting gear than it would be in the stuff from ARR.
augmented ironworks has better stats until like lvl 65 hw gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Is that ilvl 100 gear? If so, it's a bit on the low end but it's acceptable. AST damage is pretty bad though, especially compared to Dragoon.

And yeah, a whole new voice team.
You want the Ironworks gear which should be ilevel 120. I do recall there was a pretty big step up in toughness at the start of HW though.