Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Must be that new trend that's such a hit in California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
turn out the lights so no one can see all that winnipeg laying around

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Winnipeg: exactly as exciting as you think a one stoplight prairie town is

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I can't remember where I heard it, I think FB, but isn't a lot of this stuff almost like brainstorming for how to deal with current budget constraints in order to put a bunch of ideas on the table for city council?

Hopefully this very public doom and gloom stuff is just coming out so the city can justify tax increases and other revenue generating operations.

Hell they should put tolls at the perimeter.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

EvilJoven posted:

Hopefully this very public doom and gloom stuff is just coming out so the city can justify tax increases and other revenue generating operations.

i hope you guys are better than us, because in the face of this doom and gloom stuff we decided expressly to forego all the revenue generating options and dim the lights and pray the real estate market never collapses

not by a huge margin or anything, but well, the suburbs have their say

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Man putting politicians in charge of budget is like.. the worst thing we can do.

Zero foresight, zero thought. Just complete and utter loving insanity.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

let us know when you stop paving roads because it costs too much to maintain

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Winnipeg and Manitoba could definitely be better off but at least we're not tearing down windmills to own the libs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, it's bad. a bunch of local residents groups have been campaigning against the wind farms since forever on account of "we don't like to see windmills". coming up with increasingly unhinged justifications to remove them. the liberals just ignored them, but hey, it's an easy win for OPC, so we tilt at windmills

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

EvilJoven posted:

Winnipeg and Manitoba could definitely be better off but at least we're not tearing down windmills to own the libs
Not just cancelling contracts, actually tearing down hundred-metre windmills. loving hell.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

lambskin posted:

Goddamn I grew up in Humboldt Saskatchewan and I still didn't see that much camo lol

what's the deal with Humboldt? I know a guy whose dad is from Humboldt, then the bus accident, and now there's a goon from Humboldt

it's like it's some kind of... nexus

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, let's be real now, how many times is saskatchewan going to come up, ever?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/RosaJSaba/status/1196921119305011200?s=20

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Come smoke meth in Saskatchewan with me

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

lambskin posted:

Come smoke meth in Saskatchewan with me

Second favourite Tragically Hip B-Side.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i was going to make a joke about taking a hoot at the 100th meridian, but that's in manitoba

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Sorry, I still can't get over the fact WE ARE TURNING OFF STREET LIGHTS TO SAVE MONEY

Man, that makes me laugh. Just picturing cars slamming into houses, running off roads, obliterating pedestrians. What a city.

COME TO WINNIPEG! SEE THE SIGHTS!!...until we turn off the lights

all i can think about is that town in the states(colorado springs I think?) that was facing budget shortfalls and elected a straight libertarian mayor who put in massive austerity measures like turning off street lights at night. the effect is that people began stealing copper wire from streetlights under the cover of complete darkness and that’s exactly the outcome that i can imagine happening in winnipeg if they move forward with this poo poo

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

I can't remember where I heard it, I think FB, but isn't a lot of this stuff almost like brainstorming for how to deal with current budget constraints in order to put a bunch of ideas on the table for city council?

Hell they should put tolls at the perimeter.

the city asked every department to put forward a plan if their budget increase were limited to 2% a year or in the case of some departments .5% and all the stuff that is coming out is the result of that

they are either preparing winnipeggers for absolute austerity or massive property tax and water hikes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's austerity.

we did this too and the answer is they're going to make the cuts, but less than they requested the departments find, so it's "good"

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The city should sell the golf courses to developers to make up for the budget shortfall because gently caress golf its bourgeois as gently caress.

But only if it's high density, none of this cookie cutter urban sprawl bullshit.

And more riverfront parks.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

EvilJoven posted:

The city should sell the golf courses to developers to make up for the budget shortfall because gently caress golf its bourgeois as gently caress.

But only if it's high density, none of this cookie cutter urban sprawl bullshit.

But i bought a house that backs onto the golf course and i expect that to exist forever!!!

Calgary just voted to outsource it's golf operations right after saying that unions should voluntarily take a cut within a contract cycle to avoid layoffs.

That and 1/4 of waste collection.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

this is loving disgusting

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

infernal machines posted:

let us know when you stop paving roads because it costs too much to maintain

The city wrote some roads off as un repairable a few years ago so um I'll be in touch

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
We are never, ever going to see a property tax increase in Winnipeg and it's best just to plan for a future with no roads, private sewer/water services and third-world infrastructure. The gigantic homes in the suburbs are owned by people who are a 1% increase in anything away from defaulting. The new mortgage rules aren't working and what I've seen people do now is "bring down" the costs of the mortgage by having an alarm system installed, just so they'd qualify for the largest possible mortgage they can.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

selling assets to cover operating budget shortfalls is a pretty lovely way of dealing with money issues, winnipeg either needs to find more revenue or find a way to stem their largest expenditure, the police(27% of the total budget)

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

too poor to run for mayor but i want to just so i have the smallest possibility of calling bowman a spineless pos and and even smaller chance pallister

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

autism ZX spectrum posted:

We are never, ever going to see a property tax increase in Winnipeg and it's best just to plan for a future with no roads, private sewer/water services and third-world infrastructure. The gigantic homes in the suburbs are owned by people who are a 1% increase in anything away from defaulting. The new mortgage rules aren't working and what I've seen people do now is "bring down" the costs of the mortgage by having an alarm system installed, just so they'd qualify for the largest possible mortgage they can.

The gigantic homes in the suburbs are going to be the first to be sold off and ghettoized both because the mortgage holders bought them by maxing out their debt carrying ability to buy them and because they're the most expensive regions to support with municipal services.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
they've been playing this little video in the bottom corner of CBC newsnet about trudeau's new cabinet picks with a photo of the person and their new post. but i keep picturing trudeau's blackface photos popping up with HARPINDER TRUDEAU: Minister of Fisheries, DAQUAN TRUDEAU: Ministry of Education just giving jobs to all his side characters

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

this guy being named indigenous services minister is a little on the nose for canada and the liberals

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

DariusLikewise posted:

this guy being named indigenous services minister is a little on the nose for canada and the liberals

Hahahahahahaha

"But I am 1/16th Metis on my mother's side!!"

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

ahahahahah jfc

quote:

Mona Fortier will be the minister in charge of the new portfolio of "middle class prosperity"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:wtc:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

ahahahahah jfc

lmao wtf

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I genuinely didn't think that they would top "the middle class and those seeking to join it" but here we are.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
gently caress me and I thought the "minister of red tape reduction" in Alberta was cringey.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

DariusLikewise posted:

definitely thought this guy was an inbred member of the royal family

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
jesus christ hes a loving morning talk show host

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

minister of *fart noises*

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

15 of the top 15 cities for cocaine trafficking are west of Ontario. #Wexit and #takeYourDrugProblemsWithYou

source: Macleans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Cocaine is not a drug problem, it is a drug solution