Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Sure, whatever. Even if it does turn out to suck, at least it's going to annoy some people who deserve to be annoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Trin Tragula posted:

Sure, whatever. Even if it does turn out to suck, at least it's going to annoy some people who deserve to be annoyed.

Graham Linehan is probably sobbing right now

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Graham Linehan is probably sobbing right now

Dude an nb person as cheery is making him punch walls.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

hanales posted:

Dude an nb person as cheery is making him punch walls.

:haw:

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Inspired by, not based on. This is probably going to have bugger all to do with night watch.

We are not the target audience.

I have to tell myself this or I get annoyed by every little thing they tell us.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The history monks are now Vegas showgirls, each more jewel-dappled than the last!

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

angerbeet posted:

In looking at Dibbler's actress' work on youtube and online, it seems she uses a wheelchair most of the time due to spina bifida. This does not affect her acting ability of course, I just wonder how they'll work it into the character.

CMOT always has the sausage tray, so just put it on wheels I guess.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
All those actors are 240,000,000 times more attractive than the pictures of the characters in my head.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I find it curious we’ve had no casting for Nobby and Colon.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
eddy redmayne and martin freeman, respectively

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gambrinus posted:

All those actors are 240,000,000 times more attractive than the pictures of the characters in my head.

The pictures in my head are the Paul Kidby versions, so that's what I base all comparisons off

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gambrinus posted:

this is the real problem

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
now I want to see a Kidby-style animated Discworld show, like Star Trek: The Animated Series with weird colors because the animator is colorblind

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

angerbeet posted:

In looking at Dibbler's actress' work on youtube and online, it seems she uses a wheelchair most of the time due to spina bifida. This does not affect her acting ability of course, I just wonder how they'll work it into the character.

Honestly, stick a cart on the front of a wheelchair and that'd fit the character perfectly.

The only thing in that which really bothers me is linking CMOT Dibbler with "mischief". Which.... no. He's not mischievous. He's the rear end in a top hat on the corner peddling food poisoning and five dollar rolexes who would sell his own mother for a nickel and whose reaction to a lynching is "I can think of a few ways to make a buck there".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think part of what defines Terry Pratchett's essential style is using traditional fantasy structures to ultimately transport progressive values. To some degree, this is an outdated approach. These days it's all about making progressive ideals visible in the structure, beginning at the casting of actors, the identity of production staff etc.; the actual writing kind of takes a back seat to all that. (It's all part of a greater web of the contemporary media reception approach that also involves the internet's whole reaction culture, as-immediate-as-possible commentary and value judgment and so on.)

I prefer Pratchett's approach as the more subtle and demanding one, and I think once you leave it behind you can at best claim your show is "inspired" by his writing. As far as I can see no one's doing anything more than that. I'm terribly curious how all this stuff will be looked back on in 2035, it'll either be a classic example of when the paradigm seriously changed, or the equivalent of the Burger King Kids Club.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

mostly, though, Pratchett was extremely funny and subtle and this doesn't seem funny or subtle at all from what there is to go on, that admittedly not being very much, but it seems quite sober and straightforward in pretty much exactly the same way a typical Guardian TV/movie column is.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Stroth posted:

The only thing in that which really bothers me is linking CMOT Dibbler with "mischief". Which.... no. He's not mischievous. He's the rear end in a top hat on the corner peddling food poisoning and five dollar rolexes who would sell his own mother for a nickel and whose reaction to a lynching is "I can think of a few ways to make a buck there".

This was my problem with the quote. It being a woman in a wheelchair doesn't bother me. In all honesty I probably wasn't going to watch it anyway and I've not seen anything to make me change my mind. It's not for me and I hope those that do watch it enjoy it, or enjoy complaining about it on the Internet afterwards. I know one person who is furious about the proposed changes, nearly as furious as he was about live-action Little Mermaid being black, so that's entertaining at least.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I don't think I've ever seen so much extrapolation and speculation over literally a single word out of a single quote before

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I think you're right, I'm like 99% sure he makes a little aside about how he knows Vimes is/was Keel, which wouldn't have made sense at the beginning of the book.
He calls Vimes Sergeant to get him to slip up and respond, which confirms what he had suspected because Keel's body was cold from being stored in the morgue. Vimes asks him how long he knew and he says something like "since, oh, about thirty seconds ago" - being Vetinari, obviously he didn't know until it was confirmed for him firsthand.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I don't think I've ever seen so much extrapolation and speculation over literally a single word out of a single quote before
The end of season one of The Venture Bros, before season two dropped, people kept mishearing "get their clothes" as "get their clones" and it sparked a years-long debate.

and then it turned out that yes he really did say clothes but the boys were clones and got replaced with more clones

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Excuse me while I kiss this guy

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i acquit

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Stroth posted:

Honestly, stick a cart on the front of a wheelchair and that'd fit the character perfectly.

I've always read him as Ankh-Morpork's answer to Del Boy Trotter; he's always out to duck and dive and make a quick buck using methods of questionable legality, ask him no questions and he'll tell you no lies, his merchandise is always cheap and may have fallen off the back of a cart somewhere, but he's not malicious. If he was, surely Vimes would have shut him down after resurrecting the Watch, no?

He's clearly got morals (remember he was a member of the conspiracy against Lord Winder and wears the lilac each year) and he genuinely doesn't mean any harm to anyone (because if you kill them, they can't buy from you again tomorrow), there's a long way between really bad quality sausages inna bun and actively harmful ones. Very close to Nobby, but without the whateveritis (steady money? chance to mump beer and meals? hanging out with Fred Colon?) that keeps Nobby in the Watch.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I would have gone with "colorful rascal" over "mischievous".

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

He's not mischievous he's entrepreneurial.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Renaming the character to "Throat" is the only bit that sits oddly with me. Seems like it springs from a desire to make his name less silly? But like, the silly name is a huge part of the appeal.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I feel it would have been better if the writers had gone for a totally original story.
Having it set X years after Raising Steam would have allowed for swapping about some of the main characters with a "changing of the guard" style plot arc.
Anna Chancellor could have taken over from Vetinari and there could have been a running joke about keeping the title of Patrician, Ruth Madeley could have been a daughter C.M.O.T. didn't know about who then sets out to take on the family business etc.
Instead there looks to be a mishmash which will cause idiots to froth about "polical correctness gone too far" garbage, fans of the books not having things like they imagine it and other people having a go at the other groups for not accepting progress.
If that's what has been intentionally engineered then they've succeeded but it means nobody will focus on the writing and acting when it comes out.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

It's really funny that they're making the Patrician a woman. Is she keeping the title or going by matrician?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

It's really funny that they're making the Patrician a woman. Is she keeping the title or going by matrician?

Patricia.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Terror Sweat posted:

If Nobby and Colon don't spend ten minutes arguing this out then this truly will be soulless.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Angua is one of my favorite characters but "going postal" really dashed my hopes because all she did was growl.

Edit: I also just realized that Angua wasn't played by Peta Wilson in that mini series. I had thought that the whole time and it just made me even more disappointed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Android Blues posted:

Renaming the character to "Throat" is the only bit that sits oddly with me. Seems like it springs from a desire to make his name less silly? But like, the silly name is a huge part of the appeal.

Hasn't he been called this in the books?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Alhazred posted:

Yes, Vimes calls him that multiple times

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

Alhazred posted:

I think this works fine for spoken dialogue. It's either that or every time someone says his name they have to do the whole 'Cut my own Throat', or try and pronounce the acronym. Even in the books I think he's usually referred to as 'Throat' when a character is actually speaking about him, rather than the narrator.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Yeah, I'm rereading Guards Guards, Vimes directly referrs to him as throat.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
As long as she says the cut-me-own-throat bit every so often it's fine.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Gruffalo Soldier posted:

I think this works fine for spoken dialogue. It's either that or every time someone says his name they have to do the whole 'Cut my own Throat', or try and pronounce the acronym. Even in the books I think he's usually referred to as 'Throat' when a character is actually speaking about him, rather than the narrator.

Well to be fair it's not like anyone would know who the hell you were talking about if you called him Claude.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I feel like some people are probably not gonna be satisfied no matter the choices. Personally I love reimaginings of his work, I think they’ve by and large tried and done well at telling good discworld stories.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I just choose to see it as CSI: Ankh-Morpork at this point.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

angerbeet posted:

I just choose to see it as CSI: Ankh-Morpork at this point.

I was under the delusion that the series would be that, and not an adaption of Night Watch.

Hell, just rewrite some Brooklyn 99 episodesm and I'll be watching that religiously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't give a heck if a TV series is true to a book or not, and actually prefer if they aren't because, you know, I've already read the darn book haven't I?