Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Ignore the nerd, play that game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

We're great at video games! Besides, the guy running the booth said he's not going to kill us if we lose. We can trust him, right?

quote:

You feel a little annoyed at Floyd’s warning.

“I can handle this game!” you declare. You’ll show Floyd he’s not the only one who’s good at video and computer games!

You take your place in front of the steering wheel built into the counter. “Let’s go!” you cry.

The screen fills with cars. VROOOOM! They all take off.

Except yours.

“The gas!” Floyd yells. “There’s a pedal on the ground!”

But there are two pedals. You stomp on the left one.

Oh, no! It’s the brake! By the time you get your car going, you’re trailing far behind the others.

You’ve got to catch up! You send your car screaming through turns. You pass a red car. Yes! Your car skids out as you careen around a blue car. But you regain control. Yes!

The finish line appears on the screen. You fix your eyes on it. You press hard on the gas. Can you win?

But you can’t make up for your slow start. A yellow car plows across the finish line.

It’s over. Letters appear on the screen: YOU LOSE!

You hear wind beginning to howl overhead.

quote:

“Hey!” you shout. The wind over your head gets stronger and stronger. You raise a hand, trying to fan the wind away.

Instead, your hand is caught! It feels as if your fingers have been sucked into a vacuum cleaner.

“Yeeeoooow!” you yell. The wind tears at your wrist. You pull, heave, and swing your arm around. But you can’t break loose of the wind. You glare at the frog-faced man.

“I thought you said no blue tornado!” you cry.

“Hey, I kept my promise!” The man’s bulging eyes sparkle gleefully. “Take a look.”

“Aaaaaghh!” you scream. The tornado of light swallows up your shoulder. Now you know why the old lady shrieked. It feels as if your body is being stripped away a spoonful at a time.

But the frog-faced guy didn’t break his promise.

You aren’t being eaten up by a blue tornado. You’re being eaten up by a purple one.

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings
Overwhelmed and strangled by an army of baby squid.
Sent back in time by the Dino-Ride and eaten by a T-rex.
Blown up by a robot after Floyd triggered its self-destruct function.
Repeatedly struck by lightning after failing the Hand-Eye Challenge.
Rode the Slug Subway and got melted by slug slime.
Eaten alive by hundreds of living, carnivorous hot dogs.
Sucked into the Letter-Go game and buried in a pile of letters.
:siren:Consumed by a purple tornado after losing the racing game.:siren:

Achievements
Squid Wrestling Lightweight Champion: Defeated 225 pounds' worth of baby squid.
Dying is Easy, Consistency is Hard: Encountered a total of 250 bad endings.

Our options posted:

• Insist you're not a squid wrestler.
  • Stay on the Dino-Ride.
  • Ride the Log Zoom.
  • Turn left at the first junction.
  • Leave the castle and head back down to the rides.
  • Don't listen to Ernie.
  • Ignore Ernie's advice and choose the Lucky Day game.
  • Don't play the racing game.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yeah, okay.

Stay on the Dino Ride

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Refuse to wrestle squid.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Why the gently caress didn't the book tell us we don't know how cars work?

Stay on the dinosaur

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Squid are friends, not lucha libre

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

:yeah: Especially since I'm pretty sure this was the year every arcade in the world had a Daytona USA machine. Total bullshit.

No squid wrestling.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

chitoryu12 posted:

Ehh, it wouldn't be the first time we died to plot-induced stupidity in this book. Remember Floyd's little "self-detect" mishap?

Anyway, let's see if we can talk our way out of wrestling an army of squid!

quote:

“Wait! We’re not wrestlers!” you yell. “Really! We never signed up or anything!”

“Yeah,” Patty joins in. “I don’t even like calamari!”

“Good luck!” the boatman calls over his shoulder.

A barred gate rises out of the water to pen you in. You’re trapped in what seems to be an underwater boxing ring.

“You have to wrestle your weight in squid to get out of here,” the boatman yells back at you. “Luckily, we have a squid that weighs as much as all three of you put together!”

He rows out of sight around a bend in the river.

Brilliant lights come on, spotlighting you and your friends. The water is up to your armpits. You peer down into the murky water and notice something moving.

“What’s that?” you mutter.

THWAP!

You get your answer. A thick, slimy tentacle lashes through the water. It coils around your chest. And squeezes!

quote:

“It’s got me!” you yell, trying to peel the rubbery flesh away. The tentacle feels squishy – but the powerful muscles underneath are like iron. They drag you down into the water.

“It’s got me too!” Patty wails.

“Help!” Floyd cries, thrashing wildly in the water.

From above, you hear wild cheers and whistling. You must be putting on quite a show!

Panic floods through you. How can you survive this wrestling match? The squid is so strong!

Should you try to break free from the squid’s grip and swim toward the spectators? There must be a way out of the water near the seats.

Or should you try the squid’s game? It’s pulling you down under the water. Suppose you pull it up into the air?

Make up your mind! That tentacle is making it hard to breathe!

If you try to break free, swim over to PAGE 63.

If you try to lift the squid out of the water, turn to PAGE 81.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Consumed by a purple tornado after losing the racing game.

Achievements

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Lift the squid.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
"Hey squid, you come here often?" Pick up that squid!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Do you even lift (squid), bro?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Do Squid Curls

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
>Pick up the squid
With what? Your bare hands?
>Yes

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Snake Maze posted:

>Pick up the squid
>Yes

THIS!!!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Snake Maze posted:

>Pick up the squid
>Yes

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Snake Maze posted:

>Pick up the squid
>Yes

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Congratulations! You have just picked up a squid with your bare hands! (Hard to believe, isn't it?)

quote:

“Grab hold of a tentacle!” you command Floyd and Patty.

“Why?” Floyd asks. “I’ve already got a tentacle grabbing hold of me!”

“Just get a good grip – and heave!” you yell.

You feel as if you’re playing a watery game of tug-of-war. But your steady pressure finally wins. The body of the squid rises out of the water. It looks squishy, like a sack of grayish-green jelly with big black eyes.

The squid blinks in the bright spotlights and shudders at the noise from the spectators. The terrified creature yanks its tentacles loose and retreats deep into the water.

Once more it attacks, grabbing Floyd by the leg and trying to drag him under.

“Do it again!” you shout. You and Patty pounce on the squid, hauling it back out of the water.

This time, when it breaks free, it disappears in a cloud of ink.

You win!

Just like what happened after we beat the baby squid, this takes us to the scene with the towel lady who points us toward the Dino-Ride.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements
:siren:Squid Wrestling Heavyweight Champion: Defeated a 225-pound giant squid.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Stay on the Dino-Ride.
  • Ride the Log Zoom.
  • Don't listen to Ernie.
  • Ignore Ernie's advice and choose the Lucky Day game.
  • Break free from the giant squid.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Wow, that was easy.

Stay on the Dinosaur Ride

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Rebonack7 posted:

Congratulations! You have just picked up a squid with your bare hands! (Hard to believe, isn't it?)

:allears:

Don't play the racing game

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Oh wow! I just found a four-leaf penny! Must be my lucky day!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
LOG
ZOOM
LOG
ZOOM

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Octatonic posted:

Oh wow! I just found a four-leaf penny! Must be my lucky day!

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

It's our Lucky Day!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

If Ernie went the trouble of warning us about this game, it must be way harder than the Hand-Eye Challenge! Let's check it out!

quote:

Wait a minute, you think. What do I really know about Ernie? After all, he is one of the carnival people. His hint could be a trick.

You glance at the flashing signs for Lucky Day. Everyone by that booth seems happy. They’re all laughing.

“I’ll go with Lucky Day!” you say.

The crowd around you parts as you head over to the booth.

You glance back. Big Al is right behind you.

Ernie has vanished.

quote:

Big Al grins at you. “Lucky Day is one of my favorites,” he booms. “That’s because the guy who runs it is one of my favorite helpers.” He pushes you, Patty, and Floyd up to the booth. “Meet Horrible Hairy Harry!”

Horrible Hairy Harry certainly lives up to his name. He looks like a cross between a gorilla and a troll. All he wears is a pair of Bermuda shorts. The rest of him – even his face – is covered with thick brown greasy-looking hair.

And he’s nine feet tall!

Yikes!

You wonder whether there’s still time to change your mind. “Uh, I –“ you begin, turning to Big Al.

But there’s no sign of the carnival manager. He’s gone!

Instead, a crowd of the creepy carnival people closes in behind you.

“Play! Play!” the crowd chants.

Big white teeth appear in the fur on Horrible Hairy Harry’s face. You figure that’s a smile.

“Is today your Lucky Day?” he growls.

quote:

“The game is easy,” the huge, hairy creature behind the counter promises. “You don’t have to do a thing – I’ll take care of it all. Now you see, certain days are lucky, and certain days are unlucky. It all has to do with birthdays. I’ve made a special study of them over the years –“

“He should have studied hair care instead,” Patty whispers to you.

Horrible Hairy Harry keeps talking. “You tell me your birthday, and I’ll tell you if today is your lucky day. It depends on whether your birth date is an odd or an even number.”

Horrible Hairy Harry leans right over to you. “So, which is it?”

Your heart beats faster as you tell Horrible Hairy Harry your birthday.

If your birth date is even, like February 18, April 6, or November 30, turn to PAGE 119.

If your birth date is odd, like January 9, June 13, or October 31, turn to PAGE 90.

Normally, this would be the point where you guys vote, but saying that our birth date is odd gives us the exact same result as winning the Hand-Eye Challenge without any new text. Let's just go ahead and find out what happens if our birth date is even!

quote:

Horrible Hairy Harry shakes his head. “Oh, how sad!” he mourns. “Today is a very unlucky day for you.” He’s so upset, he starts crying.

“Oh, please!” Patty exclaims. “Just get it over with! What’s going to happen to us?”

“Your terrible luck means” – Harry takes a deep breath – “that you have to leave this wonderful carnival!”

“What?” you gasp.

“I know, it’s terrible,” he wails. “Poor you.”

Horrible Hairy Harry blows his nose on his fur. Gross.

“Um, yeah, it’s sad, really sad,” you babble.

“I’m so sorry I have to do this.” Harry pulls aside a curtain behind his booth. It opens onto the carnival parking lot.

“Forgive me, kids,” he sobs, and pushes you through.

“We’ll forgive you eventually,” you say, trying not to grin with happiness. “We just need time to get over it.”

“I’ll tell you what,” Harry says. “Take these.” He hands you three cardboard strips, then closes the curtain.

“Thanks,” you call after him. Then you glance at the cardboard strips in your hand.

Oh, no! Guess what Harry gave you?

Free passes to the Carnival of Horrors!

THE END

Yes, that just happened. For some reason, Lucky Day is the only game on the entire midway path that's impossible to actually lose. I'm not sure if that means Ernie was trying to get us killed, or if he was actually trying to warn us away from the Hand-Eye Challenge and we completely misinterpreted his signal.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements
Squid Wrestling Heavyweight Champion: Defeated a 225-pound giant squid.
:siren:Our Lucky Day: "Lost" the Lucky Day game and got thrown out of the Carnival of Horrors.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Stay on the Dino-Ride.
  • Ride the Log Zoom.
  • Don't listen to Ernie.
  • Break free from the giant squid.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Get on the floor, everyone stay on the dinosaur

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Zoom some logs.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
That makes even less sense than usual (and that's saying something for a Goosebumps book).

It is especially egregious due the build-up of how Lucky Day and Harry are Big Al's FAVORITES. WHY would Al have a game like that in the first place?

The only in-universe justification I could come up with was that Harry actually turned traitor, and exploited a loophole to get you out of the carnival by "punishing" you.

I want to break free! (From calamari)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Stay on the Dino

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Darthemed posted:

LOG
ZOOM
LOG
ZOOM

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

This is too stupid. Let's not play the racing game and work on getting out of this stupid carnival.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Yea... let's not race and say we did.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I guess it really was our Lucky day.

Log Zoom time!

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
Oh man, I remember reading these all the time as a kid. I actually liked them better than the main Goosebumps series. I've been doing my best to catch up to where we are now. Glad everyone can see how interesting (and utterly ridiculous) some of these can get. Looking back, I think my favourite (out of the ones I read) was Curse of the Creeping Coffin, but I do still have a soft spot for Little Comic Shop of Horrors.

Anyways, I'm voting for breaking free from the squid.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Rebonack7 posted:

Yes, that just happened. For some reason, Lucky Day is the only game on the entire midway path that's impossible to actually lose. I'm not sure if that means Ernie was trying to get us killed, or if he was actually trying to warn us away from the Hand-Eye Challenge and we completely misinterpreted his signal.

I just thought of another explanation: Ernie wants us to win so he and the others are freed, meaning he doesn't want the only kids in the last several hundred years with a shot of releasing them from their torment to have a 50% chance to get out and leave them trapped for who knows how many more centuries.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

AceOfFlames posted:

I just thought of another explanation: Ernie wants us to win so he and the others are freed, meaning he doesn't want the only kids in the last several hundred years with a shot of releasing them from their torment to have a 50% chance to get out and leave them trapped for who knows how many more centuries.

Now that you mention it, that's probably the best explanation.

Anyway, it was a surprisingly close vote this time around, but the Log Zoom just barely came out on top!

quote:

The Log Zoom is nearby. Maybe it will be the way out.

Or maybe not.

The three of you hurry to the ride entrance. It’s decorated to look like a lumber camp. A three-foot-tall man dressed as a lumberjack gives you a big smile. “Wooden you like a ride?” he asks.

“Boy, you’re a real cut-up,” you joke back.

“Cut-up? Cut-up? Hoo! Hoo! Hoo! I like your sense of humor, kid!” The little lumberjack slaps his knee. “Hop in!” He waves at the nearest log-boat.

You, Patty, and Floyd scramble into the boat. Floyd almost tips over the boat climbing in. Finally, all three of you are settled. You strap yourselves in.

You also check to see where the life preservers are stored. After all, this is the Carnival of Horrors!

You grope around under your seat and feel a life preserver there.

“This might be fun,” you say to Patty and Floyd.

Your log starts bobbing as a fresh rush of water fills the ready area.

Here you go! Down the waterfall!

quote:

“Yiiiiiiieeeee!” you scream. Spray gets in your eyes, but you can feel the wind in your face as your log-boat whizzes downward. It hits the water at the bottom like a cannonball, sending up jets of water all around. After its splashdown, the log bobs on the surface like a cork.

“Cool!” Patty cries.

The log is pulled along by the current, heading for a large shed that looks like a sawmill. That must be where you get off the ride.

Or maybe not, you think. The log is speeding up. It wouldn’t do that if you were about to park.

You fly into the make-believe sawmill. It’s pitch-dark. You can’t see anything. But you hear a whirring sound.

quote:

“Do you hear a –“ you start to ask. But your question is drowned out as the noise turns into an ear-jangling snarl.

Your eyes slowly adjust to the darkness. You begin to make out something up ahead.

Oh, no! A huge buzz saw hangs in the middle of the shed!

And the awful noise is the sound it makes as it carves its way through the empty log-boat ahead of you!

“We’ve got to get out of here!” you cry.

Which is the best way?

Should you hop out of the boat immediately?

Or should you try to stop the boat before it reaches the buzz saw?

If you jump out of the boat now, turn to PAGE 41.

If you try to stop the boat, turn to PAGE 32.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements
Squid Wrestling Heavyweight Champion: Defeated a 225-pound giant squid.
Our Lucky Day: "Lost" the Lucky Day game and got thrown out of the Carnival of Horrors.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Let's bail the boat, the boat is gonna get repaired later on anyway.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

STOP THE BOAT!!!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Jump! Jump! Slide! Slide!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Jump!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
This is the Wonkatania, right? Stop the boat!