Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I enjoyed Veidt's arms up in the air "I did it!" with the same intensity and angle as the comic after the satellite arrived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
nm

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

feedmyleg posted:

How am I supposed to remember little details like who a character is when I'm looking at my phone for half the episode?

This is the same problem I had with HBO’s Westworld and Game of Thrones. I get it, you’re good at making shows. Just maybe make it a little easier to understand? In Death Stranding Hideo Kojima goes so far as to name all the characters after their roles in the story. I think maybe HBO could learn from this. Like, in GoT Tyrian Lannister would’ve been much easier to remember who he is if his name was little fingers instead of that other guy, just a thought.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Drinkysmart and Sisterfucker are just catchier, too.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Of all the characters whose names I could see being difficult to remember, Tyrion isn't one of them if only because his name is said incessantly from the very first episode.

Or you can just call him The Imp.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Blind Rasputin posted:

This is the same problem I had with HBO’s Westworld and Game of Thrones. I get it, you’re good at making shows. Just maybe make it a little easier to understand? In Death Stranding Hideo Kojima goes so far as to name all the characters after their roles in the story. I think maybe HBO could learn from this. Like, in GoT Tyrian Lannister would’ve been much easier to remember who he is if his name was little fingers instead of that other guy, just a thought.

Eat-beansman

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nail Rat posted:

I've thought about this more than I should over the years. Are there slide out bunks or anything? A kitchenette? Even if Archie moves at the speed of a jet, which it doesn't really seem to, it's like a 20 hour flight.

There's definitely a coffee machine. History remains silent on whether there is a cigarette lighter.

E: If you want a bit more Rorschach in your life, albeit at one remove, DC Black Label are doing a new mini-series for The Question, the Charlton character on whom Rorschach is based. I've read issue 1 (which is out tomorrow) and it's worth a look.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 19, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Jedit posted:

There's definitely a coffee machine. History remains silent on whether there is a cigarette lighter.

Yeah, which is why I figure there has to be a toilet. You're gonna have a coffee machine and no toilet?

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

the escape goat posted:

side note, did anyone else notice the painting of the squid's eye in the 7K headquarters?

It wasn't (just) a squid eye. Same symbol has been popping up repeatedly, including in the letter between Keene's dad and the sheriff.

Seems to predate the squid. That said, Veidt could have put the symbol in the squid.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
I will say this about Alan Moore, some of his choices in music really SUCK. That John Cale song where we get the headline from Issue 12 (which Veidt repeats in his message to Redford) is one of the worst goddamned songs I've ever heard.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Tenzarin posted:

Its kinda dumb he has to use a catapult to escape when he could just walk for a long distance and be outside.

He has boundaries setup by the warden, so he flew over them instead.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah, which is why I figure there has to be a toilet. You're gonna have a coffee machine and no toilet?
I kinda love how toilets are often missing from things in entertainment to the point where I'm actually gleeful when, in The Mandalorian, it's very quickly shown that his ship has a shitter.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DaveKap posted:

I kinda love how toilets are often missing from things in entertainment to the point where I'm actually gleeful when, in The Mandalorian, it's very quickly shown that his ship has a shitter.

Gaming has spent the last decades putting toilets everywhere because of a previous decade littered with questions like this about early 3D-games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MiddleOne posted:

Gaming has spent the last decades putting toilets everywhere because of a previous decade littered with questions like this about early 3D-games.

I loved how in The Good Place S3 while on earth, Michael uses his skills as an architect to help someone design an amazing car dealership... and forgets to put in any bathrooms because he’s a supernatural entity and forgot those were a thing.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
President Redford: "No squid pro quo"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Can't get over that puppy just casually thrown away in an incinerator.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Oh yeah, when they sat LG in front of the grid of monitors, Veidt's little setup was all I could think of.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Edward Mass posted:

President Redford: "No squid pro quo"

Some prescient crap right there.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

A couple thoughts about looking glass’ mask.

He survived (or at least attributes it to) the psychic blast because he was surrounded by mirrors.

In the first episode when he’s introduced he lifts the face part of his mask up to talk to Judd and Judd tells him to “put his face back on”, I noted this as odd because, if he was of a similar character to Roschrach then he wouldn’t need reminding of the importance of his “face”. But for him he doesn’t care about the face covering aspect so much as the skull protection.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing Dr. Manhattan is keeping a close eye on matters of humanity, albeit from a distance, and paying particular close attention to Veidt. Veidt probably planned something nefarious, and Dr. Manhattan obliged him with his own personal utopia in a pocket dimension on Europa. I also am guessing that his pocket dimension is timeless, and is serving as his own personal hell for the remainder of time, echoing the joke stated by Laurie in episode 3.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Hilario Baldness posted:

I'm guessing Dr. Manhattan is keeping a close eye on matters of humanity, albeit from a distance, and paying particular close attention to Veidt. Veidt probably planned something nefarious, and Dr. Manhattan obliged him with his own personal utopia in a pocket dimension on Europa. I also am guessing that his pocket dimension is timeless, and is serving as his own personal hell for the remainder of time, echoing the joke stated by Laurie in episode 3.

I don't see why he would bother with all that. He can see all time, if Veidt was a problem he'd just pop him. I'd prefer a "God is real, but he abandoned us because we're boring" approach. Would be risky bringing him in as a deus ex machina, the series is doing fine keeping him as a distant/historical figure.

I will say that the TV shot of Manhattan making manors on Mars leans towards you being correct.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 20, 2019

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

I just got to this moment on my reread today.

This show has managed to find some uncharted adaptation/sequel territory and it continues to impress me. In a world of just regurgitating the same stories over and over again, theyve managed to carve out this incredibly unique corner of that trend.

Is there anything else like it that doesnt really require knowledge of the original/first work to enjoy the core story but simultaneously pays off and deep dives into "sequel" territory on this level?

Theres a lot of "oh I recognize that!" in this show, but then theres these moments where they take a magnifying glass to such subtle throw away moments in the book and manage to expand on it in cool and narratively useful ways. I god drat love it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Careless Whisper all over this episode was a bit on the nose because we've seen that he sees Angela as someone who he can trust and probably a friend and she sees him in the same way. This he betrays her, and well, Careless Whisper.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

wet_goods posted:

He has boundaries setup by the warden, so he flew over them instead.

There's gonna be a courtroom scene where Veidt rules lawyers his way out of trouble

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Also, on Earth-HBO the Republicans are apparently AOK with a very liberal Democratic administration spending billions a year on defenses against fictional space squids when they are fully aware that said squids are part of the Veidt Power Movement and no such risk exists? Their Mitch McConnell must be hosed up.

Are you kidding? They own the anti-squid defense companies. This is just how the national security grift works now that the cold war is over and the war on terror never happened.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

The poor dogs :gonk:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I have never felt so bad at laughing at anything as the casual doggie dispose-all. It surprised the hell out of me. The real question is: do they do the same thing to fuckup human clones

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.
Guys, the dogs are fine. It's not an incinerator, it's just a pneumatic tube system like at the pharmacy drive-thru and on the other end is a shelter where the doggies get chew toys and snuggles and then get adopted out to loving homes. That's why the button she pushed was green, not red.

Also, if we don't get more Silver Squirter next ep I'm gonna riot.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Skitz posted:

Also, if we don't get more Silver Squirter next ep I'm gonna riot.

I don't think the dildo is going to return.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

I have never felt so bad at laughing at anything as the casual doggie dispose-all. It surprised the hell out of me. The real question is: do they do the same thing to fuckup human clones

Obviously, look at Veidt’s play.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
After the doggie disposal my sister turned to me and asked how many people I thought stopped watching right there

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Milo and POTUS posted:

There's gonna be a courtroom scene where Veidt rules lawyers his way out of trouble

Sir your black freighter flag does not have fringes so I do not recognize the authority of this court.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Milo and POTUS posted:

The real question is: do they do the same thing to fuckup human clones

I mean, we know Veidt does, he's just got a loving lake of failed babies which almost feels like they're trying to out-do Preacher for extreme poo poo on television or something.

King Of Coons posted:

Yeah it's almost like they think the viewing public consists of a bunch of dummys that struggle to remember, I don't know, say, important dates they've been beaten over the head with.

Sorry I didn't commit their not-9/11 date to memory, clearly this means I am a failed show watcher and everything I've ever said is invalid :rolleyes:

Oh no, its 11/2, which I was pretty sure of but not 100% so I just said whatever. This changes EVERYTHING! I mean, if it was 11/3 *fart*

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 20, 2019

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Wasn't it just a dogwasher? I think it was a dog washer. Like a dishwasher. Except dogs. They are just cleaning the little pooch up so it can be adopted by someone who wants a single dog who is almost exactly but not completely like a different dog someone else owns.

Right? Right? That dog is OK, right?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
All the employees in the store front area of that dog cloning place were standing next to an exact double, which implies they’re either hiring exclusively identical twins, OR cloning their customer service representatives and using Veidt’s fast grow microwave to get them to maturity. Which would also imply a larger dispose-all for the full grown clones who didn’t look quite right.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
I don't see the problem, a live dog and a disintegrated dog have the same number of particles.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

1-800-DOCTORM posted:

I don't see the problem, a live dog and a disintegrated dog have the same number of particles.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
'I leave it entirely in your hands'

Just caught up on latest eps

OKAY sorry but no offense but I love this show. it's awesome, it's 19 easter eggs per ep for anyone that read the book.

Sorry. No offense (alan moore)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

That place where wade screened the DVD isn't just a theater, it's a loving broadcast center. There's way too much equipment there for it just to be for viewing. They are probably going to do a pirate broadcast.

And they're probably going to bring back Viedt to interview live on screen or something. Maybe even record going through the portal and bringing him back as part of the broadcast