Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
KotE is okay at its bones but you’d probably have to change a lot about its presentation to make it not-racist, and once you do that it might be easier to just make a new game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Mr Vampire: The Saga: The Game

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I almost made a big post defending KotE.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

MonsieurChoc posted:

:same:

There are definitely a lot of problems with it, but like most white wolf games it does work better if you ignore all other game lines not directly addressed in the text of the game.

Still, if I hadn't enjoyed playing it in the past it would be a weird one to get into now.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Do it but then put :goonsay: at the end

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
It's a piece of entertainment made by white men for white men portraying asians in 1999, of course it's racist.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

The one thing you can't take away from KotE is Howl of the Devil-Tiger is an amazing book about playing an evil character. Does it justify the rest of the line? No, but at least we have it.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

The one thing you can't take away from KotE is Howl of the Devil-Tiger is an amazing book about playing an evil character. Does it justify the rest of the line? No, but at least we have it.

I've heard that said many times, but having read it, I don't understand why people think that.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So after playing a temp character for the STs, I'm reafy to play a PC in my LARP. The Tremere players (mostly strong RPers who id like to game with) pitched me on a bruiser Tremere enforcer. Path of Flame + pliable blood for in clan celerity= 5 attacks tjat deal flaming agg per round.

Two things give me pause:

1) ive never played a combat character in LARP bc I think cWoD is terrible at mass combat (and all combat ends up as mass combat) and i think id hate standing arpund for ten minutes to throw a chop

2) I'm struggling to find a concept that would be interesting, as. "Mindless firefist guy" doesnt sound like it has a lot of depth, but without dots in thaum and mental stats I struggle with how else id be used.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
KotE as a standalone goofy rear end anime game about people coming back from vaguely mythological hells and dealing with mecha-hunters could be kind of fun, though it'd still be wedded to all the lovely WoD mechanics.

As an integrated part of the WoD setting, its racist garbage.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Which has more satisfying combat to play through RAW: W:tA or W:tF?

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Shrecknet posted:

So after playing a temp character for the STs, I'm reafy to play a PC in my LARP. The Tremere players (mostly strong RPers who id like to game with) pitched me on a bruiser Tremere enforcer. Path of Flame + pliable blood for in clan celerity= 5 attacks tjat deal flaming agg per round.

1) ive never played a combat character in LARP bc I think cWoD is terrible at mass combat (and all combat ends up as mass combat) and i think id hate standing arpund for ten minutes to throw a chop

2) I'm struggling to find a concept that would be interesting, as. "Mindless firefist guy" doesnt sound like it has a lot of depth, but without dots in thaum and mental stats I struggle with how else id be used.

How are you doing 5 attacks?

Celerity in LARP only gives at most two extra actions (both Laws of the NIght and BNS versions), and those must be physical actions.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Shrecknet posted:

Biker philosopher.

Like a big bruiser, but then you start talking like Slavoj Zizek while doing the Primogen's dirty work.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

WtA has a more Exalted, "throw a thousand dice and hyper-murder the room" feel, WtF has a more "playing GTA except you have cheat codes" feel to combat.

It's a question of, do you want to feel strong because an already-busted system gives you stats and free actions stacked to the high heavens, or do you want to feel strong because you have a ton of weird, clever-by-half exceptions to how a fairly straightforward combat system works? Personally I'd say WtA, because busting combat open in WtF just reminds you how unsatisfying CoD 2e combat feels (and is probably intended to feel?) if you aren't playing a jittery tweaker with a handgun.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MonsieurChoc posted:

Biker philosopher.

Like a big bruiser, but then you start talking like Slavoj Zizek while doing the Primogen's dirty work.

Count loving Dracula.

e: the entire source material you need is the Gangrel tribe book and the Count loving Dracula PDFs from nWoD. that's...that's the gimmick.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MoonKnight posted:

How are you doing 5 attacks?

Celerity in LARP only gives at most two extra actions (both Laws of the NIght and BNS versions), and those must be physical actions.

Lure of flame ignites hands, then standard melee in every round. It's not a mental power.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

WtF has a more "playing GTA except you have cheat codes" feel to combat.

I really like this description.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mors Rattus posted:

Unfortunately, that’s not because they were undead, but because they were Asian.

KotE is unspeakably racist.

...and that's a stake through the heart (followed by decapitation and immolation) of that particular desire.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

In addition to the above, WtA also has the twin problems of not understanding the basic existence of an action economy (half the Gifts are unclear about if/what actions they use) and is a huge promoter of risk-averse play (through zero passive defense and a hefty imbalance between damage and health). Even when my group tried papering these issues over halfway it become overcomplicated rocket tag.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Biker philosopher.

This. Do it in a Zizek lisp and report back how long you survive.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

"Ultimately *sniff*, we are all slave to ideology. Blood is capital."

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The origin I came up with was I was a US Army grunt good with explosives in WWII, blowing up an old Austrian castle because Nazis were supposed to be inside. When I was the first one through the breach, the Tremere who was suddenly in a Solarium instead of a Crypt dominated me to protect him, then was forced to ghoul me to help me recover from my wounds. Things progressed from there, and between the blood bond and being a natural follower/enjoyer of kicking rear end, I eventually got the bite on me and became a Tremere heavy.

Again, this doesn't leave a lot of room for role-play; the character is a little one-note (obviously) but if you guys have a better idea I'm all ears. Someone was kind enough to send me a file that has some neat ideas in it, I'll report back if there's anything that catches my eye.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'd say you want to think first about what you'd have the most fun playing, or roles you think you can lean into with your personal presentation, but I'm generalizing from other long-form games I'm in, and your requirements may be quite different.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Well, it's a function of who's in the Tremere - several players I like and enjoy rp'ing with. My main hangup is playing a brute. I've never done, nor even wanted, a physical, combat focused character in LARP.

If I can find an angle more interesting than 'Ben Grimm among Reed, Strange and Tony' that would go a long way, but from what I've read about the pyramid there aren't great upward mobility options for a heavy

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like you've mentioned the LARP being overserved for people waiting to queue up for combat.

(The Tremere have some sort of hunter/legbreaker role, don't they? Like an alastor? Is there anyone doing unsanctioned blood magic for you to bounce off of?)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

You could for someone with an unhealthy focus on explosives and chemistry related to explosions.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Just pull a Spoony: dump all pts into explosives and blow everyone up.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Shrecknet posted:

Well, it's a function of who's in the Tremere - several players I like and enjoy rp'ing with. My main hangup is playing a brute. I've never done, nor even wanted, a physical, combat focused character in LARP.

If I can find an angle more interesting than 'Ben Grimm among Reed, Strange and Tony' that would go a long way, but from what I've read about the pyramid there aren't great upward mobility options for a heavy

Let me start with I've never LARPed, much less LARPed Vampire. That said, consider your origin story. Your character is a demolitions expert. His inclination is to look for (generally physical) weak spots in buildings/etc. that he can exploit to destroy them. Figure some of that thinking will carry over to his social interactions as well. Think this clip from about 1:20 or so.

And consider that while you're a heavy, you're a Tremere heavy. You're not some thrill-seeking Brujah or half-wild Gangrel. Your loyalties are to your clan as a whole, your master and yourself (if not necessarily in that order). Outside of those affiliations you don't (or shouldn't) have friends and enemies. You just have tools or obstacles. Problems to solve or opportunities to exploit. Let everyone outside your clan circle (and many in it) feel your indifference to them as anything but potential tools to use or problems to solve. Look at them all as structures you might have to demolish. And let them feel you thinking of them that way.

And throw a bit of '40s slang in there, too. You're Vampire Captain America. Have a bit of fun with that.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
A heavy who can reliably act outside the ordinary chantry structure because they have no interest in thaumaturgy, but can still be relied upon within the Pyramid, is a valuable asset. Doubly so if they can operate semi-independently of the main clan using tools that they won't think think about (like, say, a bulldozer), and without involving the astors.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Loomer posted:

A heavy who can reliably act outside the ordinary chantry structure because they have no interest in thaumaturgy, but can still be relied upon within the Pyramid, is a valuable asset. Doubly so if they can operate semi-independently of the main clan using tools that they won't think think about (like, say, a bulldozer), and without involving the astors.

Also, no-one expects a Tremere to use C-4. They expect wizards. It's perfect for misdirecting people by being completely direct and mostly mundane, not to mention throwing people for a loop if they spent all their time preparing to deal with wizard bullshit and then get hit by a forklift.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I have the weirdest citation manager prompts now that it's full of WoD books. I made the call to modernize and just use Zotero during my final pass rather than trying to manage 5000+ citations by hand and it cracks me up when I'm citing something serious and academic and have to go to the third suggestion because the word 'blood' prompts it to some of the Vampire titles rather than a dry history book on the genesis of the idea of Noble Blood. I type in 'reason' and have to navigate past the Order of Reason to get to commentaries on Habermas!

Loomer fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 21, 2019

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Mors Rattus posted:

Count loving Dracula.

e: the entire source material you need is the Gangrel tribe book and the Count loving Dracula PDFs from nWoD. that's...that's the gimmick.

To be fair, Count loving Dracula was one of the best things to come out of either edition of Requiem, so...

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
thinking about it, Vampire is the only gameline which warrants an exhaustive historical run-through in the main book, because they're going to be hundreds of ancient years old and the game's all about ancient political grudges.

Mages don't need anything more than an average mortal's lifespan worth of backstory. Doesn't matter which pentacle used to be which order or wtf ever y'all are on about. If you want to get historical have a historical narrative splat.

Mummies also and I GUESS some Promethian, but holy fuckin pisstiddies can we write Werewolf without framing every book as WereColumbus: The Colonizing? I have not read any ChronD woof books so my opinion is, at least, 20 years out of date, but i assume nobody is reading this far because they're already busy writing out their arguments. Wraith is the only good gameline.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
like, i get that epic literally means "begins with a runthrough of history" but you don't need 60 pages of IRL fanfic to justify an epic scale to your game. God Machine Chronicle pulled it off perfectly.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Historic worldbuilding is the plague of tabletop, and I say that with all due fondness as the kind of man who's voluntarily compiling the entire history of the oWoD. Everyone just defaults to 'well, epic, sprawling histories are the best' and it burns so much word count and time, usually on stuff that has zero use as plot hooks for the game at its actual play date. The very worst are the ones that have a thousand year detailed history before the play date, and ten years of 'eh, whatever, now it's fantasy europe I guess' right before the PCs enter the scene - like when you see the ones that have the period of incredible political upheavals end fifty years before the PCs. Why the gently caress wouldn't you put the PCs in the middle of that upheaval and strife as a default setting?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

EimiYoshikawa posted:

To be fair, Count loving Dracula was one of the best things to come out of either edition of Requiem, so...

He's one of my favorite characters, yes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

thinking about it, Vampire is the only gameline which warrants an exhaustive historical run-through in the main book, because they're going to be hundreds of ancient years old and the game's all about ancient political grudges.

Mages don't need anything more than an average mortal's lifespan worth of backstory. Doesn't matter which pentacle used to be which order or wtf ever y'all are on about. If you want to get historical have a historical narrative splat.

Mummies also and I GUESS some Promethian, but holy fuckin pisstiddies can we write Werewolf without framing every book as WereColumbus: The Colonizing? I have not read any ChronD woof books so my opinion is, at least, 20 years out of date, but i assume nobody is reading this far because they're already busy writing out their arguments. Wraith is the only good gameline.

you should really read Werewolf: The Forsaken

it's very good and doesn't do this poo poo at all

e: it has other layout flaws, i mean, but the only prehistory it goes into is the part that matters because it frames why you do what you do

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Everyone posted:

Let me start with I've never LARPed, much less LARPed Vampire. That said, consider your origin story. Your character is a demolitions expert. His inclination is to look for (generally physical) weak spots in buildings/etc. that he can exploit to destroy them. Figure some of that thinking will carry over to his social interactions as well. Think this clip from about 1:20 or so.

And consider that while you're a heavy, you're a Tremere heavy. You're not some thrill-seeking Brujah or half-wild Gangrel. Your loyalties are to your clan as a whole, your master and yourself (if not necessarily in that order). Outside of those affiliations you don't (or shouldn't) have friends and enemies. You just have tools or obstacles. Problems to solve or opportunities to exploit. Let everyone outside your clan circle (and many in it) feel your indifference to them as anything but potential tools to use or problems to solve. Look at them all as structures you might have to demolish. And let them feel you thinking of them that way.

And throw a bit of '40s slang in there, too. You're Vampire Captain America. Have a bit of fun with that.

Captain Camarilla, especially one who buys into all the horseshit that the tower asks you to believe (what Gehenna?) is a great concept.

Sitting on chairs backward in Elysia, dropping the Real Speak on some Anarch punks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Loomer posted:

Historic worldbuilding is the plague of tabletop, and I say that with all due fondness as the kind of man who's voluntarily compiling the entire history of the oWoD. Everyone just defaults to 'well, epic, sprawling histories are the best' and it burns so much word count and time, usually on stuff that has zero use as plot hooks for the game at its actual play date. The very worst are the ones that have a thousand year detailed history before the play date, and ten years of 'eh, whatever, now it's fantasy europe I guess' right before the PCs enter the scene - like when you see the ones that have the period of incredible political upheavals end fifty years before the PCs. Why the gently caress wouldn't you put the PCs in the middle of that upheaval and strife as a default setting?

Loomer posted:

For my new Pathfinder game I put my PCs right in the middle of it from the first session. Let’s rig an election! It has been a BLAST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Loomer posted:

Eberron set it just before poo poo's about to go down (with all the intrigue left over from the Great War), another reason why it's one of the ebst D&D setting.