Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Samovar posted:

Is there another debate happening?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_United_Kingdom_general_election_debates

Two or three big ones and a whole lotta others.

E: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/jeremy-corbyn?page=258 - Page 258 of the Guardian's articles on Corbyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Speaking of, I was chatting to another colleague at the pub yesterday and asked who he was voting for, and he said "probably Labour" and I cheered but asked why 'probably' and he explained that he votes centre-left, and is a centrist, so he cannot vote for Jo Swinson because she's just right-wing.

Had to stifle a lmao

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

cakesmith handyman posted:

Not really fair to toxx on a sure thing

I'm pretty sure they would go C&S rather than coalition, if anything. But this is the lib dems we're talking about so I'm not going to toxx on it

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tsaedje posted:

May be my bubble, but all anyone is talking about is the tory fake fact checker. Enormous own goal for them.

I'm getting to the point where they've booted so many balls directly into their own goal that I'm wondering f they're not trying to throw the election because it puts the hot steaming pile of poo poo that is Brexit on someone else's plate at the critical moment.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

an angry penguin posted:

It's not politics related, but sod it. This is a cool and good thing that everyone should do if you haven't already:

https://twitter.com/startswith_me/status/1195428757546446848
It is pretty political, because even at the peak of the HIV/Aids pandemic less people in the UK were dying of Aids or HIV related illnesses (6,700 from '83-'96, averaging 515/year) than were dying from falling down stairs (1,000/year general average), in no small part due to testing, awareness, and condom promotion, whereas in the USA over 100,000 people died in the same timeframe because of Reagan's lovely politics. Despite the number of deaths falling sharply from the mid-90s due to antiretrovirals, diagnoses keep rising, especially outside of groups where awareness was targeted, and if you know your status, you can take precautions to protect others, modern treatments can make it non-transmissible.

So I agree, go get tested.

BalloonFish posted:

a loaf of sales and marketing people
The correct collective noun :iiapa:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
https://twitter.com/jmsclee/status/1197105296142929920

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm getting to the point where they've booted so many balls directly into their own goal that I'm wondering f they're not trying to throw the election because it puts the hot steaming pile of poo poo that is Brexit on someone else's plate at the critical moment.

People thought that about 2017 as well, they're just a really lovely group of people and we're in a information space where they get called out for it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/robdelaney/status/1197104715991044097

lmao

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/SteveNickSmith/status/1197055477068132353

https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/1197064710870487040

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Always sad when you check in on an old friend from school on Twitter and he's posting alt-right memes to zero engagement from anyone. :(

He's the son of a Miner's Union strike organiser too.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Tsaedje posted:

May be my bubble, but all anyone is talking about is the tory fake fact checker. Enormous own goal for them.

Not just yours. Though I’ve not seen the phoney yougov survey get as much traction (has anyone from then commented on the timing/early release of it?)

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Why is Baddiel having a meltdown over someone pronouncing 'Epstein' The way pretty much everyone who's had German in school would do?

Also lol:
https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1197096685761105921

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Camrath posted:

Not just yours. Though I’ve not seen the phoney yougov survey get as much traction (has anyone from then commented on the timing/early release of it?)

Yeah, it's the reasoning I suspected:

Graun Live posted:

Some readers have been asking below the line why the page on the YouGov website with the results of its poll on the leaders’ debate has a 6.50pm timestamp, which was more than an hour before the debate even started. A YouGov spokesman has called with (as a I expected) an innocent explanation. He said that, knowing it would have to turn around the poll results quickly, YouGov launched the web page in advance of the debate. The article originally said something about how the poll results would be published on that page the debate ended. Later the article was updated with the poll findings. But the timestamp still reflected the original publication time.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

Always sad when you check in on an old friend from school on Twitter and he's posting alt-right memes to zero engagement from anyone. :(

I think this is less surprising than it initially looks. Life's poo poo, so clearly being a lefty strike organiser was useless, I'll try these folks promising me answers instead. The exact target victim audience.

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
I see the Whataboutery Libs have learned a new term - Dead Cat on the Table.
Usage: whenever the Tory party fucks up.

Example: "Ahhh you see, the rebranding of the CCHQ Twitter account was a deliberate Dead Cat strategy to distract you from the debate, another genius move from Dom Cummies if I do say so myself. Now everyone is talking about what massive shameless liars the Tories are instead of the debate, *smug chuckle* and you all fell for it :smug:"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pencils R Cool posted:

I see the Whataboutery Libs have learned a new term - Dead Cat on the Table.
Usage: whenever the Tory party fucks up.

Example: "Ahhh you see, the rebranding of the CCHQ Twitter account was a deliberate Dead Cat strategy to distract you from the debate, another genius move from Dom Cummies if I do say so myself. Now everyone is talking about what massive shameless liars the Tories are instead of the debate, *smug chuckle* and you all fell for it :smug:"

*falls for fake squirrel story and spends entire week making GBS threads myself*

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/MatesJacob/status/1197114833046519808?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Necrothatcher posted:

Hopefully it seems like he's just howling into the void, although it's always good when those memes get a couple of "I don't get it" or "what does this mean" comments.

TheRat posted:

Why is Baddiel having a meltdown over someone pronouncing 'Epstein' The way pretty much everyone who's had German in school would do?
Follow me into the abyss:
https://twitter.com/CatherineLenson/status/1197073351111516160

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I think my head just exploded :psyduck:

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Re: Corbyn's Brexit position, it would be a big mistake from him to have a defeatist approach to his impartial stance. Don't say that he has to remain impartial, or has no choice - impartiality should be framed as a positive viewpoint and that he wants to be unbiased. This can easily be spun as a 'you're sick of politicians telling you what to do, so in a 2nd referendum I'm going to put all my efforts into providing an informed platform for both sides and let you decide', which would be effective imo. Point out that the remain and leave platforms in 2016 were both horribly represented (Remain by Cameron just expecting you to take his side, with no case being made; Leave by Johnson et. al. managing a huge disinformation campaign and promising the country the moon), and with a Labour referendum you will not speak down to the country and try to influence them or tell them what to do. Revel in the impartiality and make a positive case for it.

You can even make a cheesy 'Referendum 2020 - Hindsight is 2020' slogan to appeal to fubpee melts.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

The Tories are loving shitscared today. As they should be, we are coming for 'em

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Beefeater1980 posted:

I mean, in an organisation that uses data right, you present the options, agree up front which metrics you want to measure and then send both datanerds off together to figure out which one achieves those best. No fighting, no egos involved, no winner or loser. I have seen this happen but it’s insane how rare it is given that everyone makes such a fuss about being “data-driven”.

As an expired six sigma black belt I agree. We did a project on human errors arising during a significant part of our "customer journey". Certain People "knew" from their gut that a particular group were error prone and were always berating them. (This was a substantial part of the workforce - mostly male what used to be 'C1's.). By detailed analysis of the actual number of decisions they had to make I found they were operating at well over 4sigma efficiency pretty good for a human system. And I told them and I praised them. They were chuffed to pieces.
But - the high ups didn't like it. They had expected to find poor performance (actually blame-shifting) so all the data and analysis in the world did not help actually one of the most efficient parts of the organisation. The fact that the particular infrastructure they were operating was decades old and not fit for modern expectation of end of line consumers (general public) was waved aside.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

CyberPingu posted:

Theres an article about last nights debate on BBC from their "Fact checker" thing and the way the answers are worded are infuriating

Now lets see how they phrase Boris' answers, should be with the same "WeLl AcHsully" tone right?

Oh...i see

These seem entirely fair to me? How would you have preferred them worded? It's not like Corbyn got "LIAR" while Johnson got "Inaccurate in some respects"

I know the BBC is horribly biased but i think we sometimes see bias where there is none

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TheRat posted:

I think my head just exploded :psyduck:
I like how she ignores the more obvious possibility that Corbyn, being 70, would have been more familiar with the name from Brian Epstein, and preferring to read papers rather than watch TV news, that's how the name was in his head.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I always assumed it was pronounced the standard German way, to rhyme with Einstein. Guess I'm the bigot now. :(

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

an angry penguin posted:

It's not politics related, but sod it. This is a cool and good thing that everyone should do if you haven't already:

https://twitter.com/startswith_me/status/1195428757546446848

Quick tip: If you donate blood you get tested for HIV, Herpes and lots of other things for free!

(But you can't donate if you're gay. Obvs.)

[Or did they change that?]

Late E: Since apparently it needs to be explicitly made clear to people without the vaguest shred of sense about them, do not donate blood just to get a blood test. But the NHS reassurance that they'll check your donation every three months can provide a warm, comforting blanket to those of a more hypochondriac persuasion.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 20, 2019

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

an_mutt posted:

Re: Corbyn's Brexit position, it would be a big mistake from him to have a defeatist approach to his impartial stance. Don't say that he has to remain impartial, or has no choice - impartiality should be framed as a positive viewpoint and that he wants to be unbiased. This can easily be spun as a 'you're sick of politicians telling you what to do, so in a 2nd referendum I'm going to put all my efforts into providing an informed platform for both sides and let you decide', which would be effective imo. Point out that the remain and leave platforms in 2016 were both horribly represented (Remain by Cameron just expecting you to take his side, with no case being made; Leave by Johnson et. al. managing a huge disinformation campaign and promising the country the moon), and with a Labour referendum you will not speak down to the country and try to influence them or tell them what to do. Revel in the impartiality and make a positive case for it.

You can even make a cheesy 'Referendum 2020 - Hindsight is 2020' slogan to appeal to fubpee melts.

CORBYN SCAPEGOATS PUBLIC AND SHOULDERS THEM WITH BREXIT BURDEN

Seriously with the rabid press and media determined to spin anything he does in a bad light, ignoring such a loving stupid question was the best tactic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bundy posted:

Seriously with the rabid press and media determined to spin anything he does in a bad light, ignoring such a loving stupid question was the best tactic.

And it works because the public seem to be just happy politicians and papers are talking about literally anything other than Brexit.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

RockyB posted:

Quick tip: If you donate blood you get tested for HIV, Herpes and lots of other things for free!

(But you can't donate if you're gay. Obvs.)

[Or did they change that?]

If you've had gay sex in the last 3 months, you can't. Otherwise it's fine. I guess HIV symptoms are apparent within 3 months so it gives at-risk people a window to find out before donating?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Right, I'm going to kiss Tories today after looking at the first 10 mins of daily pols

E: I got my testing kit yesterday, and my mother, who i staying here, teared into it, and i went upset this thread with the most vile slurs. (70%her 30% me)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Bundy posted:

Sometimes i think the UKMT is the best spin doctor in the country

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

I like how she ignores the more obvious possibility that Corbyn, being 70, would have been more familiar with the name from Brian Epstein, and preferring to read papers rather than watch TV news, that's how the name was in his head.

I don't think I've ever heard Jeffrey Epstein's name pronounced "Ep-steen". Everyone I've heard say it rhymed it with Einstein. If this genuinely is an anti-Semitic dogwhistle then this woman must have got it from her anti-Semitic friends, because I have no friends like that and it's a mystery to me.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

If you've had gay sex in the last 3 months, you can't. Otherwise it's fine. I guess HIV symptoms are apparent within 3 months so it gives at-risk people a window to find out before donating?

This sounds incredibly homophobic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HopperUK posted:

I always assumed it was pronounced the standard German way, to rhyme with Einstein. Guess I'm the bigot now. :(
It is if you're in the UK. Generally speaking German Jews moving to the UK kept the German pronunciation of their names, and Americans bastardized it.

Eastern European Jews moving from the Baltic states to both Britain and America often changed their names entirely though, either by Anglicizing it or sometimes using first names as surnames.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It's a year. Even if you're married to another man and monogamous.

From the same people who brought you the "if you pay money for unprotected sex you have to wait six months, if you receive money for protected sex 20 years ago you're still banned" logic.

You shouldn't be using blood donor services for testing anyway, but the rules are some straight* bullshit.

*:dadjoke:

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Bundy posted:

No no it's fine it's only the male homosexuals it applies to. Lesbians are fine.

Yes, it's a bit of a stupid system. Also, obviously, don't donate blood if you're actively worried about something. But it's a nice bonus for helping save a life, and saves you from just randomly asking the GP for a blood test.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 20, 2019

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Bundy posted:

In Northern Ireland if you'd have had gay sex in the previous 12 months you're not allowed to give blood for the next 12.

Until 2016 if you'd ever had gay sex you were banned from giving blood for life :laugh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, a cis women who has unprotected anal sex with a cis man who shares needles is subject to a less restrictive waiting time than two married gay men. It's aggressively bad.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Zalakwe posted:

I am not advocating a departure from neutrality, rather I want him to fully embrace it.

Holding a position halfway between ambiguity and neutrality worked for Corbyn back in 2017, so expecting him to go full-on neutral is a bit of a stretch.

Every conviction politician repeats the strategy by by which they first won success until it stops working, at which point they become ex-politicians.
Politicians who can change strategy half-way through are exceptional, and if Corbyn was one of them he wouldn’t be where he is today.

Pity about the consequences for the UK, but I don’t see much of alternative to holding on, campaigning hard and hoping the horse learns to sing sometime in the next few weeks.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

RockyB posted:

No no it's fine it's only the male homosexuals it applies to. Lesbians are fine.

Yes, it's a bit of a stupid system. Also, obviously, don't donate blood if you're actively worried about something. But it's a nice bonus for helping save a life, and saves you from just randomly asking the GP for a blood test.

To be fair that's because transmission between lesbians is very low, while gay man are at most risk due to the higher likelihood of bleeding during anal sex (HIV predominantly lives in blood and is not present in other bodily fluids in as high concentrations)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Rethink this.