Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Deteriorata posted:

Well, they have to spend all their time working on their rad cars. Priorities, man.

Pretty brave to call out an entire subforum like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I went to see Le Mans '66/Ford v Ferrari, and while it certainly does swerve historical/technical accuracy in many areas, I really liked it, it's a good fun period racing film.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

Local unemployment is like 3% and there's over 40 employers hiring for double minimum wage to start with benefits.

And yet I see so many people bitching about not being able to find a job.

Because the unemployment stats are complete bullshit. The numbers and definition has been ruthlessly changed and massaged to the point that if you earn *anything* for one hour a week, you are deemed to be employed - hell you barely need to breathe to be counted as employed, thats how hosed up the stats are now. The gig economy has been especially good for hiding the true state of unemployment to say the least - let alone the cut and slash of assistance programs that have the side benefit of removing people from the participating workforce stats.

The actual truth is that there's a recession happening right now, underemployment in poo poo jobs is high because people dont like starving, there's hundreds of replies to any job ad ... so yes actually I see exactly why there's so many bitching about no jobs because reality is saying poo poo is getting real and it's not good out there, no matter what loving fairy dust the Feds from any country says.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Some folks are just unemployable. Or don't really want to work.

Like my ex wife who is being a huge bitch this week about money and Christmas I am like maybe you would have some money if you didn't just live off my alimony and ACTUALLY GOT A JOB like the judge ordered you to do 2 years ago. We have a mutual close friend who is a manager at Buffalo Wild Wings who stopped talking to her bc she offered her an open door for work of any kind at any time day or night any day to go along with her schedule she could come and go as she pleases just come in and work to help any position and she turned her down. She just will not work.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My excuse is that I'm having to invent a whole new person going into my 30s and it's hard work y'all

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Because the unemployment stats are complete bullshit. The numbers and definition has been ruthlessly changed and massaged to the point that if you earn *anything* for one hour a week, you are deemed to be employed - hell you barely need to breathe to be counted as employed, thats how hosed up the stats are now. The gig economy has been especially good for hiding the true state of unemployment to say the least - let alone the cut and slash of assistance programs that have the side benefit of removing people from the participating workforce stats.

The actual truth is that there's a recession happening right now, underemployment in poo poo jobs is high because people dont like starving, there's hundreds of replies to any job ad ... so yes actually I see exactly why there's so many bitching about no jobs because reality is saying poo poo is getting real and it's not good out there, no matter what loving fairy dust the Feds from any country says.

Once I learnt at high what "seasonally adjusted" means for stats work, I pretty much ignored any "seasonally adjusted" stats like employment figures, as it is already tampered with straight off the bat.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

nm posted:

Honestly, using a certain part of your vacation every year should be mandatory. It would reduce resentment against people that use it and would be good for the mental and physical health of the people who think they can't take a day off work. Working 80 hours a week your years on end is actually bad for productivity.

I am salary at a large company, I currently get 6.16 hours of "regular" PTO per pay period, so 12.32 hours per month; 147.84 hours per year. I also get "floating holiday"s per year, which equates to an additional 24 hours a year. On top of that, we also get 10 paid holidays per calendar year. 21 days per year of time off, 10 calendar days off - the only biggie is that there is a yearly holiday shutdown which means you have to take x days of PTO off during that time period, usually between 3 and 5. A minimum of 26 days per year at my discretion off from work isn't bad. And there's nearly no notice required, and no justification - just "hey I'm taking leave".

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yup. Don't forget, if you need unemployment to look better, you can always change the time period for "actively looking for employment" and drop all those deadbeat ex-wives or whatever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
eh there are a lot of employment stats - U-6 is probably the most useful one as it includes discouraged workers, "marginally attached" - basically those that only work very little or irregularly, and part time workers that are part time for economic reasons. everyone always looks at U-3 though which excludes that poo poo.

edit: U-6 is ~7.5% right now

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

eh there are a lot of employment stats - U-6 is probably the most useful one as it includes discouraged workers, "marginally attached" - basically those that only work very little or irregularly, and part time workers that are part time for economic reasons. everyone always looks at U-3 though which excludes that poo poo.

Right, but the problem is that the average joe (see: up thread) doesn't know that, and they just parrot whatever they hear. Otherwise, totally agree.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That means wages will start coming up, right :haw:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Powershift posted:

That means wages will start coming up, right :haw:
Yes, because corporations think we're valuable! With unemployment so low, they're left begging us to work!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rhyno posted:

Local unemployment is like 3% and there's over 40 employers hiring for double minimum wage to start with benefits.

And yet I see so many people bitching about not being able to find a job.

You're moving to the dark side of the blue collar workforce. Look at Amazon, UPS, and FedEx, which pay quite well and generally have good benefits, but are literally always hiring for a reason

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fender Anarchist posted:

My excuse is that I'm having to invent a whole new person going into my 30s and it's hard work y'all

Treat it like a character creation sheet for DnD. Or heresy, if you roll that way. Go hog wild.

:haw:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

You're moving to the dark side of the blue collar workforce. Look at Amazon, UPS, and FedEx, which pay quite well and generally have good benefits, but are literally always hiring for a reason

Yeah pay quite well to justify working you like a dog and treating you like poo poo. I'd rather get paid less and actually have the energy and sanity to enjoy my free time.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah pay quite well to justify working you like a dog and treating you like poo poo. I'd rather get paid less and actually have the energy and sanity to enjoy my free time.
What's "free time" and "sanity"? I think "energy" is the thing I get from coffee, but I'm not totally sure...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That's def a better one tho I think it's still being massaged to look better than what it really is. Participation rate also should be a good clue but it's being bent somewhat by the gig economy - however in 2000 that was in the USA 67%. It's now averaging 62% and I think that number's been massaged too

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/labor-force-participation-rate (switch to 25 year view)

Also remember anyone over 66 is aggressive removed from the stats for the workforce ... but those people are now trying to re-enter the work force because they are poo poo rear end broke. They arent typically shown as unemployed.

I *really* wouldnt be surprised if the real rate of unemployment is 9+% and the rate of underemployment also considerably higher.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah my company is almost always hiring too. Except they can't find anyone with experience because literally every other company in this business has a higher starting pay scale. Funny how capitalists hate it when the system they love so much bites them back.

You really hate to see it. LMAO just imagine defending poor companies who can't find help in 2019.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Darchangel posted:

Some folks are just unemployable. Or don't really want to work.

Or the work they want to be doing isn't survivable. I'd be baking to this day if I thought I wouldn't have shot myself by now on $8 an hour.

Also, got another shot of that new e-mustang. It's a goddamn crossover. Ford even classes it as one on their website.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 20, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That's def a better one tho I think it's still being massaged to look better than what it really is. Participation rate also should be a good clue but it's being bent somewhat by the gig economy - however in 2000 that was in the USA 67%. It's now averaging 62% and I think that number's been massaged too

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/labor-force-participation-rate (switch to 25 year view)

Also remember anyone over 66 is aggressive removed from the stats for the workforce ... but those people are now trying to re-enter the work force because they are poo poo rear end broke. They arent typically shown as unemployed.

I *really* wouldnt be surprised if the real rate of unemployment is 9+% and the rate of underemployment also considerably higher.

there are definitely flaws with the data and methodology but i think it's a bit much to believe that the data is being falsified

gig economy and seniors working is tricky, and also the prevalence of advanced degrees and additional full time schooling are driving labor force participation down. like is your answer to include 66+ year olds in unemployment numbers? that seems equally flawed.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there are definitely flaws with the data and methodology but i think it's a bit much to believe that the data is being falsified

An outright falsification isn't whats being said here - the raw data is still there. The issue is how the numbers are being massaged and presented - eg, over the last 30 years the definition of what is unemployed changed to make them look better, it used to be defined more like what defines the U-6 number.

quote:

like is your answer to include 66+ year olds in unemployment numbers? that seems equally flawed.

Given the way people over 66 are still participating in the workforce, I'd be leaning towards yes with qualifiers.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
There's no evidence of major employers targeting senior citizens for employment

Every non-restaurant job I've had has had at least one person over 65 working part time or more to "keep busy". Counting them out is disingenuous, but including all of them is unhelpful. I don't know where the cutoff should be, but 66 is definitely too low

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Liquid Communism posted:

Or the work they want to be doing isn't survivable. I'd be baking to this day if I thought I wouldn't have shot myself by now on $8 an hour.

Also, got another shot of that new e-mustang. It's a goddamn crossover. Ford even classes it as one on their website.

Welp. We've strayed pretty far from the light.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Given the way people over 66 are still participating in the workforce, I'd be leaning towards yes with qualifiers.

That's only going to get worse. A whole generation of Boomers mostly have their net worth tied up in house values, and neither Gen X nor the Millenials can afford to buy enough property for them to cash out. Gonna be a lot of grandparents getting swindled with reverse mortgages.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Childhood dream of driving an ambulance came true last weekend! Now to get to driving with lights and sirens.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You ever have a sinus headache so bad you want to get the drill out and relieve a little pressure?

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Adiabatic posted:

Childhood dream of driving an ambulance came true last weekend! Now to get to driving with lights and sirens.

That sounds awesome! I often see ambulances idling in empty parking lots, presumably spaced out in some strategic fashion for quicker response times. How much of the time on the job is spent sitting there waiting for a call vs active duty? I’m sure it entirely depends on the location but what about where you are?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

You ever have a sinus headache so bad you want to get the drill out and relieve a little pressure?

Yes. From ages 19 til 25 nonstop.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Well.....

What size but did you use?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Powershift posted:

Well.....

What size but did you use?
Butts of all sizes!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That’s what I get for not being able to see straight.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Butts of any size often give me a severe case of sideways vision, feel like that's pretty normal

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp, GF's mom was in a bad wreck earlier. Her car is probably totaled ('13 Corolla with about 25k on it); apparently a truck slammed on their brakes in the middle of the road to make a turn, and she couldn't stop in time once she saw it.

Thankfully she's okay, just sore. GF might be going down there to do the take-the-keys-away bit. Her mom is 81; mentally she's 110% (former university professor, now a school librarian to stay busy), but she has late macular degeneration and can't see worth anything. She'd already cut her driving down to only during the day and within a couple of miles of home, otherwise she relies on Uber and her neighbor.

The Door Frame posted:

There's no evidence of major employers targeting senior citizens for employment

Every non-restaurant job I've had has had at least one person over 65 working part time or more to "keep busy". Counting them out is disingenuous, but including all of them is unhelpful. I don't know where the cutoff should be, but 66 is definitely too low

We have people from 16 to 75 at my store, though the oldest people on overnights are in their mid 50s. One of the overnight supervisors is 52 or 53, looks like he's under 40, and runs circles around everyone so bad that they've popped him with a couple of drug tests (management thought he was on meth; he has an insane metabolism and works out every day). The oldest ones are there not to keep busy, but because they need the money, and most of them have been there a long time (long enough to hit the wage cap, which is pretty high for an hourly retail job - my position caps at $21/hr, takes 5-7 years to hit cap since we get 2x/year raises automatically).

We had a 77 year old apply for overnights (he's a regular customer, I've talked to him quite a bit when he comes in every morning). I thought he was in his late 50s, he's in pretty good shape and has aged really well. He never got a call back... guessing they took one look at his age and laughed.

Modus Man posted:

That sounds awesome! I often see ambulances idling in empty parking lots, presumably spaced out in some strategic fashion for quicker response times. How much of the time on the job is spent sitting there waiting for a call vs active duty? I’m sure it entirely depends on the location but what about where you are?

This sounds so alien to me. Everywhere I've lived, ambulances are parked at fire stations (usually in one of the bays), and the medics hang out in the firehouse between calls.

I'm guessing this isn't the norm outside of Texas...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 20, 2019

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

STR posted:

and runs circles around everyone so bad that they've popped him with a couple of drug tests

cool. cool cool. Cool management.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Construction work is hard and I hate waking up early, just gonna get the gittin while the gittin's good. I can get welding interviews pretty easily, but even if I ace the competency test, I never get a job because I'm not certified and have no production experience. 5 more months until I get my certification and can get paid to weld instead of pay to weld

Housing market is already looking shaky again, maybe with this crash I'll be able to do what a bunch of the gentrifiers in my neighborhood did, snatch up a $30,000 house and wait for it to gain back its $200,000 value over 4 years

Rhyno posted:

Same. I don't know what size bits the surgeon used, but after I got my 11th wisdom tooth removed the pressure was relieved
There were times that I legitimately thought the walls of my sinuses had burst because there was so much pressure

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had a sinus cavity flush done by a home health nutjob and my problems disappeared.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Door Frame posted:

Housing market is already looking shaky again, maybe with this crash I'll be able to do what a bunch of the gentrifiers in my neighborhood did, snatch up a $30,000 house and wait for it to gain back its $200,000 value over 4 years

The market here is insane; a dirt lot in an older, but nice neighborhood is still $150k+. A knockdown in the same neighborhood is still over $200k. Just for shits and giggles, I looked up the cheapest and most expensive listings in that neighborhood that were livable (Hyde Park for those who know Austin - it's one of the oldest neighborhoods, dating back to the late 1800s). The cheapest was a 500 sq ft 1970s condo at $250k, the most expensive was a $1M 1920s Craftsman house with about 2000 sq ft (so definitely some additions over the years).

We're in the middle of a housing shortage where I'm at; I don't see the bubble popping for a bit. Even the tiny suburb I'm in doesn't have anything under $200k that you can live in; there's one house for $135k, but.......

Zillow posted:

THIS IS EITHER A TEAR DOWN OR VERY EXTENSIVE REMODEL. CANNOT BE LIVED IN AS IS. VALUE IS IN LAND OR IN REMODEL WITH LAND. LOTS OF TREES, BEAUTIFUL LOT. OWNER WILL FINANCE WITH 50% DOWN

Looks like it comes with an abandoned 90s Suburban with Cadillac tail lights, an abandoned mid 80s Cadillac (looks like a Sedan deVille), a few beat up boats, a riding mower missing the front wheels, and a fishing rod. :laffo: They helpfully include photos of the interiors of the cars and fishing rod. It's a half acre lot, so a decent size, but in a pretty run down neighborhood (one of the oldest in the town I'm in... which isn't saying much, the city I'm in isn't much older than me).

Previa_fun posted:

cool. cool cool. Cool management.

Right? Meanwhile another overnight shift lead always comes in reeking of weed. In most jobs I've had, I wouldn't give two shits about someone coming in stoned so long as they're not dealing with customers, but we have forklifts, electric pallet jacks, etc. He's been there for 10 years now.

They do randoms (supposedly every quarter a computer generates a list of everybody to be tested in every store, it's a small percentage of the employees), they do "for cause" (including if someone drops a pallet of water on your foot.. you're gonna get tested when you go get treated for that smashed foot, the person who dropped it on your foot might get tested), but no pre-hire unless you're moving into a salaried position.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 20, 2019

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Powershift posted:

“Thanks for listening to Sawbones - and as always, don’t put a hole in your head!”

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So I've just spent the last three days implementing in C what could've been done in 30 minutes in Python... or any other language not from the stone age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

bolind posted:

So I've just spent the last three days implementing in C what could've been done in 30 minutes in Python... or any other language not from the stone age.

But now it's BETTER.

(guilty of coding pong in 80 lines of YaBASIC on PS2 on launch)