Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Hughlander posted:

I think I posted about this before but I solidified my thoughts a bit.

I have a 4 year old NAS with a quad core Xeon and 32 gigs
....I'm heavily memory bound and would like to go from 32 to 128 gigs.
So now I'm thinking of keeping the Xeon and just adding a dual 10GB NIC to it, then building a dedicated Docker/VM host.

Bare in mind with that class of "desktop" Xeon, you're limited to 64GB anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Crunchy Black posted:

Bare in mind with that class of "desktop" Xeon, you're limited to 64GB anyway.

My current one is limited to 32 and has been maxxed since the day I got it. (The Supermicro X10 motherboard only supports up to 32 but is perfect otherwise.) I've looked at a few Ryzen 3900s that do 128. There's just nothing that does 128 + 10G + IPMI. I'm probably going to go 128/IPMI and put in 2 10G cards into it. I'm just a bit paralyzed with the options.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
You can get a 2-port 10G card for <$50 for RJ45 and <$25 for SPF+. Seems like a no-brainer since there's no way to add additional RAM slots and adding IPMI in is not really suggested, either.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Hughlander posted:

My current one is limited to 32 and has been maxxed since the day I got it. (The Supermicro X10 motherboard only supports up to 32 but is perfect otherwise.) I've looked at a few Ryzen 3900s that do 128. There's just nothing that does 128 + 10G + IPMI. I'm probably going to go 128/IPMI and put in 2 10G cards into it. I'm just a bit paralyzed with the options.

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X470D4U2-2T#Specifications

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X470D4U#Specifications

No idea why the first link says 64gb max, I was convinced it was 128 like the second board.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

DrDork posted:

You can get a 2-port 10G card for <$50 for RJ45 and <$25 for SPF+. Seems like a no-brainer since there's no way to add additional RAM slots and adding IPMI in is not really suggested, either.

Where? Interested in the rj45 10ge...

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bonobos posted:

Where? Interested in the rj45 10ge...

Dell branded Intel X520.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253525499569

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Hughlander posted:

another option

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X399D8A-2T

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Yeah, they're all over eBay. You can experiment with searching for "10 gig" vs "10 gbe" as they'll pull up substantially different lists of cards sometimes. Or just use NewEgg to find model numbers and then ebay search for those, like the Intel X540-T2, which is as low as $30 right now.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Oh, AMD are finally producing motherboards with more than 2x SATA ports on the Southbridge? About time!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Ya'll might find this interesting.

I've had a Acer H340 chillin' serving up media to various devices for the last few years. Someone threw it out because they lost the install disks. And Acer doesn't let you re-download them. By some stroke of luck, a friend had the disks. So I shoved it full of 2tb reds and let it do it's thing. Windows Home Server from that era didn't do any real raiding. Just file duplication. Seemed to work. And would almost saturate gigabit. Which was pretty impressive.

Then a drive died. No biggie. I could see my files. But 1/3 were corrupt. Hrmph. Whatever, it was replaceable media files. I spent a few hours going through the directories making a list of files to replace. And I put in an Amazon order to replace the drive.

TURNS OUT. WHS will make the file seem corrupted when a drive dies. And it's only when you finally remote into the device and offline the drive, do the files come back. So I just waisted a bunch of hours. Fine. And WHS only supports SMB1. So maybe it's time for something different.

I chose Xpenology. For a few reasons. I have another 4 bay legit Synology, which I really like. And if this H340 finally just dies, I can shove my disks into my actual Synology, and rescue my datas. And Synology historically uses really low spec hardware in their boxes. And this is a 2 thread Atom with 2gb of ram. And I'd struggle to find something nice to run on it.

Also neat, the H340 has a little 250mb USB chip on the board to store old WHS drivers. I used Ubuntu to flash the Xpenology bootloader on it so I don't have USB keys plugged into it full time. And used a eBay VGA cable so I could get video out to set it up.

Caveats. Because this is using software RAID5 now, it can't saturate gigabit as well as it could before. Since the poor Atom has to work a whole lot harder. But it's perfectly adequate for my use. And for whatever reason, it won't power down with software. I mean, it does, but the box just restarts every time and never stays off. These are things I'm willing to live with since this was free, and another 4bay Synology is like $$$$.

Chug on little dude. Not time for the dumpster just yet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So here's a weird one I've been encountering on my zpool recently with all these drive swaps. I have no shortage of drive bays so I put all the new drives in without taking anything out, and just run "sudo zpool replace tank <olddev> /dev/disk/by-id/<newdev>" to do the job. I'm running the jonathonf PPAs to get ZFS-on-Linux 0.8 and the much faster resilvering it provides.

The resilver runs, completes (even sends me an email indicating as such)... and then immediately restarts. After the second resilver it completes "for good". No errors, no warnings, nothing of the like at any point.

With the new resilver logic in 0.8, the resilver process is still so much faster than before that doing it twice is still an improvement over before, but... it's just weird. It isn't a huge issue, it just means I can only realistically resilver one drive per day instead of two.

edit: and of course now that I post this, the latest one finished on the first run through. :iiam:

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 19, 2019

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Are there any brands of desktop external HDDs to avoid if I'm just going to shuck it for my NAS? The Seagate Backup Plus 10TB or 12TB drives look awfully tempting since I'm down to a hundred gigs on my 4TB NAS.

One of these boys is a deal I see coming up:

https://slickdeals.net/f/13476997-s...earchBarV2Algo1

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Seagate Backup are shingled drives, which have poor IOPS. WD Easystore or WD Elements are the go-to for shucking.

Personally I recommend just giving Seagate a pass altogether. While it’s been a while since they put out a Deathstar series, they had a good run of problematic models for a while there, and their failure rates remain persistently about 2-3x the best brands on the market.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Good: Western Digital, HGST (now part of WD), Toshiba
Bad: Seagate

Sheep fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 20, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've only had two drives ever fail on me and they were both Seagates. Eagerly awaiting the last one to fail so I can finally replace it with a shucked 10/12 TB WD Red.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Ugh, I bought a DTV tuner for OTA recording and that means I'll be ingesting a lot more video, so I started looking at encoding rigs, and then that sent me down the rabbithole of designing a slick Plex box to serve it all...

Optimal encode node appears to be the X470D4U at this point. I see Asrock has a cost-optimized 1U chassis based on the X470D4U for $520 that will be hard to beat, apart from the deafening scream of those 40mm fans I'm sure. So far I haven't seen a picture of any cooler along with it so I'm guessing that means you'd have to use a 1U dynatron or something. Ideally would be something like 4U that could use 120mm fans and a normal cooler but that probably raises the build cost a bit.

Looking at getting my Netapp disk shelf up and running to help with the storage. I replaced the IOMs so I just need a SAS card to drive it. I'd throw that into one of my spare X99 PCs for now probably with a GTX 1660 to do live transcoding where needed.

Long term it might not be a bad use-case for one of the hilarious Chinese X99 boards, you could put 256GB of DDR3 (yes) RDIMMs on it pretty cheaply I think. Use that to run a big ramdisk for encoding scratch space, or just throw it at ZFS. Or "homelab" (lol).

Realistically I don't even need any of this, I have a slow uplink so anything more than about 2 streams would probably need a colo, and my phone data plan is small enough that I can't really use it for streaming anyway. Encoding my own recordings is probably dumb when I could just use them as a buffer for 2 hours until scene releases hit the net. But it's a fun thought experiment.

(I probably do need to get my Netapp running though and a GTX 1660 would be nice for transcoding for phones if I ever wanted to do that. And I really should pester Spectrum and see if they would sell me a symmetric pipe, I know they offer gigabit down but it's only 30 up. The rest is fun overkill.)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

So here's a weird one I've been encountering on my zpool recently with all these drive swaps. I have no shortage of drive bays so I put all the new drives in without taking anything out, and just run "sudo zpool replace tank <olddev> /dev/disk/by-id/<newdev>" to do the job. I'm running the jonathonf PPAs to get ZFS-on-Linux 0.8 and the much faster resilvering it provides.

The resilver runs, completes (even sends me an email indicating as such)... and then immediately restarts. After the second resilver it completes "for good". No errors, no warnings, nothing of the like at any point.

With the new resilver logic in 0.8, the resilver process is still so much faster than before that doing it twice is still an improvement over before, but... it's just weird. It isn't a huge issue, it just means I can only realistically resilver one drive per day instead of two.

edit: and of course now that I post this, the latest one finished on the first run through. :iiam:
It might be the zfsd/zed process; I don't remember/know what daemon ZoL uses - but I believe it has one?

Paul MaudDib posted:

Ugh, I bought a DTV tuner for OTA recording and that means I'll be ingesting a lot more video, so I started looking at encoding rigs, and then that sent me down the rabbithole of designing a slick Plex box to serve it all...

Optimal encode node appears to be the X470D4U at this point. I see Asrock has a cost-optimized 1U chassis based on the X470D4U for $520 that will be hard to beat, apart from the deafening scream of those 40mm fans I'm sure. So far I haven't seen a picture of any cooler along with it so I'm guessing that means you'd have to use a 1U dynatron or something. Ideally would be something like 4U that could use 120mm fans and a normal cooler but that probably raises the build cost a bit.

Looking at getting my Netapp disk shelf up and running to help with the storage. I replaced the IOMs so I just need a SAS card to drive it. I'd throw that into one of my spare X99 PCs for now probably with a GTX 1660 to do live transcoding where needed.

Long term it might not be a bad use-case for one of the hilarious Chinese X99 boards, you could put 256GB of DDR3 (yes) RDIMMs on it pretty cheaply I think. Use that to run a big ramdisk for encoding scratch space, or just throw it at ZFS. Or "homelab" (lol).

Realistically I don't even need any of this, I have a slow uplink so anything more than about 2 streams would probably need a colo, and my phone data plan is small enough that I can't really use it for streaming anyway. Encoding my own recordings is probably dumb when I could just use them as a buffer for 2 hours until scene releases hit the net. But it's a fun thought experiment.

(I probably do need to get my Netapp running though and a GTX 1660 would be nice for transcoding for phones if I ever wanted to do that. And I really should pester Spectrum and see if they would sell me a symmetric pipe, I know they offer gigabit down but it's only 30 up. The rest is fun overkill.)
I hope it's not a expansion card because CATV very often has overvoltage on the lines from the CMTS/headend when they remove or add connections so it can very easily end up frying hardware in your server. I use a HDHomeRun (wired with extra ground) for this explicit purpose, and also because it really easily connects to TVHeadend.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I also use an HDHomerun. It works great!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Personally I recommend just giving Seagate a pass altogether. While it’s been a while since they put out a Deathstar series, they had a good run of problematic models for a while there, and their failure rates remain persistently about 2-3x the best brands on the market.

DeathStar was IBM, later Hitachi, HDD.

Gay Retard posted:

I've only had two drives ever fail on me and they were both Seagates. Eagerly awaiting the last one to fail so I can finally replace it with a shucked 10/12 TB WD Red.

Since we're talking anecdotes:
I've only had 3 HDDs failing me in the last 20 years. All 3 were WD. First one was in 2001. Last two were in 2015.

That said, Backblaze is providing us with data, not anecdotes.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I have four of what are apparently the only good drives Seagate ever made, the HD204UI series, at +72000 hours power-on time.

And I still haven't decided on a new configuration for my new server. :ohdear:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Volguus posted:

The problem with Backblaze is they are, themselves, just a single data point. I mean, certainly better than relying on the personal experience of your friend's dad who totally works for Nintendo, but still. It's entirely possible there's something in their setup that's peculiar to Backblaze that simply doesn't play nice with Seagate. This is doubly true if you look at the numbers a little longer and notice that Seagate accounts for 100M out of 130M drive days, and out of the 7 non-Seagate lines, 3 of them have average ages of 11 or less. It's well-known that HDDs occasionally hit bad batches (hence the recommendation to buy drives from different places / at different times if you're super serious about things), so with Seagates being the overwhelming majority of the drive count, it's far more likely for Backblaze to have picked up some strings of bad batches, while the much smaller Toshiba and HGST lines simply might have dodged the bullet so far.

That said, I do really appreciate Backblaze for publishing the data, since in general it at least tells us that the vast majority of us shouldn't have to worry much about drive failures regardless of who we pick.

(fwiw I run WD Reds in my NAS and haven't regretted that yet)

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I had the misfortune of buying 48 of the ST3000DM001s featured in Backblaze's first data set and it wasn't anything unique to Backblaze. That model was defective from the factory. That doesn't mean anything about other Seagate drives, but their response to building a defective product was to ignore it, and that does mean something.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Volguus posted:

DeathStar was IBM, later Hitachi, HDD.

Since we're talking anecdotes:
I've only had 3 HDDs failing me in the last 20 years. All 3 were WD. First one was in 2001. Last two were in 2015.

My anecdotes get their own Wikipedia page and class action lawsuit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ST3000DM001

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
And prior to that the ST1500somethingsomethingAS's were equally terrible.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
And prior to that it was the 7200.11 series...

Name a series of bad drives put out in the last 10 years and it was basically Seagate who did it.

D. Ebdrup posted:

It might be the zfsd/zed process; I don't remember/know what daemon ZoL uses - but I believe it has one?

I hope it's not a expansion card because CATV very often has overvoltage on the lines from the CMTS/headend when they remove or add connections so it can very easily end up frying hardware in your server. I use a HDHomeRun (wired with extra ground) for this explicit purpose, and also because it really easily connects to TVHeadend.

It’s a “Connect Quatro” so it actually is a DTV not CATV, and it is just a box that sits on the network.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 20, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I have some general server build questions. Just started on this a few days ago and have been reading up on it and am starting to put together a shopping list etc.

I have this old desktop (core i3 3220) https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16883103794
I also bought 2 of the WD 8tb shuckable drives that are on sale right now.
I have a 128gb SSD that's older but works fine.

The mobo on this old system won't accomodate that many drives so I'm deciding right now on a compatible case, PSU etc with some room for a few more drives later on.

What I want the NAS for:

1. Run a Plex server that will stream to only 1-2 devices at a time ever.
2. Run usenet stuff and download to the server
3. Provide a shared network drive for my Win10 machines.
4. Provide a timemachine save location for my wifes macbook (500gb).

None of my data is super critical so having it be the most secure redundant RAID setup isn't the biggest priority in the world.

I have decent experience with windows stuff, some experience with Ubuntu and I had set up a raspberry pi and running a headless pihole on the network already. I'm not great with non-windows stuff but willing to give it a go.

Questions I have for you in rough order of importance:

1. Should I use UnRaid or go with another OS?
2. Any recommendations for a motherboard and case based on the above hardware? ie mATX or mITX etc?

Building this partly as an excuse to learn more, partly to just have a cheap server for streaming stuff from. Thanks for any advice.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

That Works posted:

1. Should I use UnRaid or go with another OS?
2. Any recommendations for a motherboard and case based on the above hardware? ie mATX or mITX etc?

Building this partly as an excuse to learn more, partly to just have a cheap server for streaming stuff from. Thanks for any advice.

UnRaid will certainly work for that. Another option is FreeNAS/NAS4Free, which will provide you a pretty easy to use "appliance-style" OS that you can plug jails, dockers, whatever, onto in a modular manner. They're easier to get up and running, but harder to maintain if you want to get real fancy with stuff (which it doesn't sound like you intend on doing).

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I have an 8TB easystore at home that I've been meaning to shuck for the past year, but now I'm looking at building a new computer and buying another 8TB to do 16TB RAID 0. The original 8TB has been mostly sitting unused the past year -- I imagine some useful life has been taken away by virtue of it just sitting in my livingroom, but is it a dumb idea to try to keep it in the new build, or should I just buy two new 8TB drives instead?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DrDork posted:

UnRaid will certainly work for that. Another option is FreeNAS/NAS4Free, which will provide you a pretty easy to use "appliance-style" OS that you can plug jails, dockers, whatever, onto in a modular manner. They're easier to get up and running, but harder to maintain if you want to get real fancy with stuff (which it doesn't sound like you intend on doing).

Thank you. I think I'm still leaning towards UnRaid so far.

Other question, for the system I'm putting together, how important is it to have SATA3 vs SATA2 ? Since this is an older chipset there aren't a ton of SATA3 dense boards but if it wasn't something that mattered much then that opens up cheaper parts and not having to put in a PCI-E Sata3 card or anything.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
SATA3 is 6Gb/s and SATA2 is 3. After encoding the throughput is 600MB/s vs 300. So you double the throughput. Won’t scale for everything of course.

Have a look at the specs of the spinning drives you’ll be using to see what max transfer rates they do, might be fine to use SATA2.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

priznat posted:

SATA3 is 6Gb/s and SATA2 is 3. After encoding the throughput is 600MB/s vs 300. So you double the throughput. Won’t scale for everything of course.

Ok. I guess the more specific question is "would using SATA2 on the drives containing my media cause slowness / stuttering on a 1080p stream over wifi assuming there are no other unexpected bottlenecks"?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
No, because even SATA2 is 2.5x the unidirectional speed of Gigabit Ethernet. Your bottleneck there is going to be wireless.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thank you. I don't have a good grasp of the relative speeds but was hoping that would be the case.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

That Works posted:

Ok. I guess the more specific question is "would using SATA2 on the drives containing my media cause slowness / stuttering on a 1080p stream over wifi assuming there are no other unexpected bottlenecks"?

I edited my post to add have a look at the specs of the spinning disks you’re using, they might not be pegging sata2 rates even. Looking at the wd red specs they are 210MB/s which is within sata2.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's worth pointing out that for a single device you won't ever see more than ~550MBps even on an SATA6Gbps SSD, and the most spinning rust can achieve with sequential I/O is about 160MBps.
Even a 1080 BD is max 50Mbps assuming CBR plus a ~1.5 Mbps for audio.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bank posted:

I have an 8TB easystore at home that I've been meaning to shuck for the past year, but now I'm looking at building a new computer and buying another 8TB to do 16TB RAID 0. The original 8TB has been mostly sitting unused the past year -- I imagine some useful life has been taken away by virtue of it just sitting in my livingroom, but is it a dumb idea to try to keep it in the new build, or should I just buy two new 8TB drives instead?

I mean if you're doing RAID0 you don't give a gently caress about reliability anyway, but arguably using that drive is better than buying two at the same time since the drives will certainly be from different batches.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Just out of curiosity, what are you doing that would benefit from RAID 0 that you have 16TB of on a home network?

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Bank posted:

I don't know if a study has been done, but I can't imagine any reduced lifespan to a drive sitting in a relatively well controlled environment for a year--manufacturers' stock sits that long sometimes. (I also have an unshucked 8TB waiting for me in a closet for a year.)

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thanks for the help friends! Bummer that the WD is pricier than what I had hoped for, but hopefully Black Friday will knock a few bucks off. Better safe than sorry and these will be a big upgrade over my existing WD Red 4TB drives as well. Wins for everyone (except my wallet)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Looking to build an UnRAID system with my recently replaced Ryzen 2700x and 16GB of DDR4 3200 from my gaming PC.

PIcked up a Fractal Design tower case and some WD Reds (2x 6TB, 2x 8TB). One 8TB will be parity drive and I’ve got 2x 2TBs from a synology I’ve gotten frustrated with the slowness of.

Going to be using it for a NAS/Torrent box/minecraft server.

The new Asrock Rack board is pretty tough to get lately (at least in Canada) so I was looking at other options and landed on Asrock Taichi with its 8 on-board SATA ports. Mix this with an SSD for caching and I think it’ll all be good? Any other suggestions instead for an AM4 board I could use?

Initially was looking at rackmount chassis but I wasn’t ready to become a ‘rack guy’ just yet. The server will be in the utility room anyways, so I’ll just find a shelf or build one for it to sit on.