Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Saw this on twitter and thought of you guys. Incredible looking. Is it a one-off or is this "Deliboy" a normal model? It's a 1994 so it's US-importable.

https://twitter.com/midnightdorifto/status/1193753086533222400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Deliboys / Quick Deliverys are common and plentiful but still cool

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BlackMK4 posted:

I figured it would end up costing more, but like you said, there is a little bit more security in the car. Also the ability to look at the thing if you're out there at the time.

About the only question would be how to arrange it all (purchase/transport to JCD or port). How did you handle that, or did JCD take care of it end-to-end?

JCD took care of it end-to-end. They talked to the dealer, made the purchase, arranged transport and whatever else it takes. The only difference is the very initial purchase because I go "Hey Yoshi what about this car on this lot" and he goes "I'll give them a call" and there is some back and forth, not all dealers in Japan want to sell wholesale (i.e. without the Japan road tax stuff) and sometimes they don't want to sell to someone out of the country.
It's the same as buying from auction really.

bennyfactor posted:

Saw this on twitter and thought of you guys. Incredible looking. Is it a one-off or is this "Deliboy" a normal model? It's a 1994 so it's US-importable.

https://twitter.com/midnightdorifto/status/1193753086533222400

As everdave says they are common enough, 'Deliboy' standing for, of course, 'Delivery Boy'. They are pretty neat but are more expensive than the equivalent HiAce would be, as they are well-loved in Japan for exactly what that tweet posted. Plus side is they are called 'Deliboy' :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KakerMix posted:

JCD took care of it end-to-end. They talked to the dealer, made the purchase, arranged transport and whatever else it takes. The only difference is the very initial purchase because I go "Hey Yoshi what about this car on this lot" and he goes "I'll give them a call" and there is some back and forth, not all dealers in Japan want to sell wholesale (i.e. without the Japan road tax stuff) and sometimes they don't want to sell to someone out of the country.
It's the same as buying from auction really.
Excellent, thank you :)

This thing looks fun.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1980-mitsubishi-minica-55

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
So I had been driving my hiace around for the last few weeks, the alt ended up being fine and charging and everything worked great (except it needs a new head unit) but today I sold it! Made a decent profit and now I am in the market for another. Really hoping to find a long wheelbase one this time, but only time will tell!

Got a couple folks at work that want me to source fj80s for them, but we'll see what I can find as that market is much tighter. Also, getting a dealer license in Utah is really difficult so basically between the wife and I we can only import and sell two vehicles each a year. Jealous of the much more lax requirements for a license in some of the other states!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

So I had been driving my hiace around for the last few weeks, the alt ended up being fine and charging and everything worked great (except it needs a new head unit) but today I sold it! Made a decent profit and now I am in the market for another. Really hoping to find a long wheelbase one this time, but only time will tell!

Got a couple folks at work that want me to source fj80s for them, but we'll see what I can find as that market is much tighter. Also, getting a dealer license in Utah is really difficult so basically between the wife and I we can only import and sell two vehicles each a year. Jealous of the much more lax requirements for a license in some of the other states!

What the hell is an FJ80

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

KakerMix posted:

What the hell is an FJ80

80-series Land Cruiser :confused:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KakerMix posted:

What the hell is an FJ80

:stare:

Wut

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

KakerMix posted:

What the hell is an FJ80

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

I am so loving on board for this crazy thing. I love it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Dagen H posted:

80-series Land Cruiser :confused:

The joke is nobody is going to want an FJ80, it's always going to be a FZJ80 or HDJ80. Toyota does engine codes first, you want a J80, not an FJ80 otherwise that means you're stuck with a carburated weezy gasoline engine. I mean unless that's what wilfred's people actually want but I have my doubts.

SPEAKING OF we just sold our HDJ80 today, to a guy in Georgia. He's going to do so much poo poo to it that we won't be able to reconize it afterward. Rip grandpa gold Cruiser, you will be reborn into some overland monster.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

KakerMix posted:

The joke is nobody is going to want an FJ80, it's always going to be a FZJ80 or HDJ80. Toyota does engine codes first, you want a J80, not an FJ80 otherwise that means you're stuck with a carburated weezy gasoline engine. I mean unless that's what wilfred's people actually want but I have my doubts.

SPEAKING OF we just sold our HDJ80 today, to a guy in Georgia. He's going to do so much poo poo to it that we won't be able to reconize it afterward. Rip grandpa gold Cruiser, you will be reborn into some overland monster.

Im down w a 3F cruiser so I guess the joke was lost on me. Haha.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

LeeMajors posted:

Im down w a 3F cruiser so I guess the joke was lost on me. Haha.

Yeah but cmon you wouldn't import one from Japan right

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Haha, that was some funny poo poo yall.

And yes, they actually just want 'a jdm 80 series' so while I spose I could bring a gasser over, of course I would be searching for hdjs. Really though, the more serious of the two guys would probably not care nor even realize what he was missing out on if he got a 3f. Not sure it would be able to pass salt lake smog though (smaller diesels get exemptions, for 'reasons').

The gassers are actually really cheap in Japan, probably because nobody wants one. Fun fact, the petrol 3f 80s are loving carbed in the entire rest of the world, apparently only north america got fuel injection.

I tried to convince some of them that maybe a pz 70 series would be a good compromise but both coworkers were like 'eeww' when I showed them what a 70 series looks like. Also a pz opens up the vanity plate option 'ez pz' which I enjoy thinking about more than I have any right to.

Personally, I would love a 70 series. Also, share some pics of the complete 80 series build if the guy sends you them, kaker. Something to work towards....

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 14, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

both coworkers were like 'eeww' when I showed them what a 70 series looks like.

What the gently caress is this poo poo. Tell them that many people on Something Awful Dot Com think they are dumb as all hell :mad:

He was a pretty cool guy and on Instagram so I figure I'll see some stuff. He's doing poo poo like air lockers and lifts and new fenders and everything. He said he's been looking at 100-150 80s, both USDM and JDM. This was the first manual transmission one though, and that made all the difference even though it didn't have factory lockers.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Sounds like my kind of man. I want an 80 series but it has to be manual, no exceptions.

And yeah in my head I was literally like 'wait til the forums hear about this poo poo' regarding them hating the look of the 70s. :getout:

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 14, 2019

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

KakerMix posted:

Yeah but cmon you wouldn't import one from Japan right

If it was a manual with cloth seats and no factory tint gently caress yeah I would. Base model supremacy.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The very early fj80’s in Australia were the 3F-E efi engine too. That got very rapidly dropped for the @FZ-FE engine to make the FZJ80. No one with a functioning brain is gonna import an FZJ80 cos they were sold in the US and are all basically full Sahara spec anyway, without dealing with the bullshit of wrong side drive and importing a vehicle.

A HDJ80 however, that’s a different kettle of fish. Be aware that any HDJ with a 1HD-T engine is a ticking time bomb if the big end bearings don’t get replaced with the timing belt- for some reason they eat big end bearings, spin them, smash the piston into the head and often crack the crank.

Also, if it’s a pre august 1992 build, there’s issues with the pistons cracking. Later builds use a totally different piston design, different injector washers to move the nozzle in the chamber and different injector pump timing to overcome that issue.

The absolute gem engine is the 1HD-FT 24 valve diesel, but they were introduced in 1996 in aus, not sure when they came out in Japan tho. They’re ALSO called a HDJ80 so you have to check engine codes to see what engine you get.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah I read about those big end bearing issues, that poo poo is crazy and very un-toyota. Some people were saying it's actually the bearings themselves (as in the oem bearing manufacturer supplied faulty bearings) but it seems like from what I read it's kinda random? Some hds go for 300k km with no issues, but some lose it around 100k and spin the bearings/smack the piston into the head, so the wisdom is do the big end with every timing belt.

It actually seemed not that hard to do, since it's a truck and you can actually do the bearings by just getting under the vehicle and pulling the oil pan and the caps, but still - that's not a minor job when you consider how integral those bearings are.

Wikipedia is telling me the hdj-ft started July of 95, so that's good info. I assume those don't have the bearing issue?

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 14, 2019

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

The only reason I could think for importing an FZJ is to get low mileage.

It’s almost impossible to find an 80 series with fewer than 250k here, and to find one that isn’t built for overland? Barn-find rarity.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The FZJ is pretty tanky, other than the head gasket and some of the heater hoses. My 97 popped the stock gasket at like 115k miles.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
The mileage and manual would be it, but there are also people that like JDM stuff just because it's right hand drive. I don't get it in practicality but I understand the 'look at me' vain nature of that idea.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Yeah I read about those big end bearing issues, that poo poo is crazy and very un-toyota. Some people were saying it's actually the bearings themselves (as in the oem bearing manufacturer supplied faulty bearings) but it seems like from what I read it's kinda random? Some hds go for 300k km with no issues, but some lose it around 100k and spin the bearings/smack the piston into the head, so the wisdom is do the big end with every timing belt.

It actually seemed not that hard to do, since it's a truck and you can actually do the bearings by just getting under the vehicle and pulling the oil pan and the caps, but still - that's not a minor job when you consider how integral those bearings are.

Wikipedia is telling me the hdj-ft started July of 95, so that's good info. I assume those don't have the bearing issue?

Its still an utter prick of a job to do- cutting the oil pan off is a pain in the arse (its glued on with RTV) and working above your head with diesel oil dripping on you suuuuucks. And its also something to do with the design of the engine, rather than the bearings. My mates July built 92 HDJ80 let #2 go at 295K kms and spun it. We had to replace the piston, rod, crank (because when it got hot with the bearing spinning it cracked the crank!) and do a full engine out rebuild on the cheap cos he was broke. Fast forward to 430K kms and the cheap head gasket we used failed so we pulled the motor again, and thats when we found the cracked pistons.

We had replaced every bearing in the motor with high end aftermarket ones, but when we pulled the big ends we found they were starting to delaminate and fail again.

They fixed the bearing issues with the FT motor, but instead introduced an issue where if you didnt follow the service procedure EXACTLY doing valve clearances you could tweak the valve stems and pop the retainers out of the top and drop a valve into the motor! It took them until the 1HD-FTE to finally sort out ALL the issues on it, but i think the youngest version of that engine is around 2000 and only came in the IFS 100 series.

Its really funny the american FZJ's blew head gaskets- they're known over here for their insane thirst and expensive running cost because of it but also for being utterly unkillable. The only real reason you hear of 1FZ's getting their heads pulled is because they've been run on LPG for decades and the valve seats have been eroded and they're starting to burn oil!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ferremit posted:

Its really funny the american FZJ's blew head gaskets- they're known over here for their insane thirst and expensive running cost because of it but also for being utterly unkillable. The only real reason you hear of 1FZ's getting their heads pulled is because they've been run on LPG for decades and the valve seats have been eroded and they're starting to burn oil!

I think that is because you guys don't have EGR valves :) They always pop on cyl 6 where the EGR poo poo is.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
drat, thanks for all that info ferremit! That is crappy that there isn't really a way to prevent it, I still want a diesel 80 but you've tempered my desire somewhat. That is not a very long life for bottom end bearings!

And yeah our gasser 80s in North America are notorious for HG issues which again, isn't very toyota-like. Makes sense it would be because of tacked-on emissions stuff.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

drat, thanks for all that info ferremit! That is crappy that there isn't really a way to prevent it, I still want a diesel 80 but you've tempered my desire somewhat. That is not a very long life for bottom end bearings!

And yeah our gasser 80s in North America are notorious for HG issues which again, isn't very toyota-like. Makes sense it would be because of tacked-on emissions stuff.

If you dont give a poo poo about actually going fast, find a HZJ80. You could get em in either the DX, which is absolute pov pack- Vinyl floor, Vinyl seats, crank windows, barn doors or in GXL with the carpet, velour, electric windows and lift up tailgate.

They are NOT quick- They're faster than a HZJ105 because they weigh less, but theyre way slower than a HZJ70 because of their weight.

The last of the 1HD-T's were reasonably reliable- Another side effect of the change in combustion bowl design and the pump timing revision was it really took a lot of the brutality out of the combustion process on the big ends- You dont hear of as many of the late 1HD-T's having as big an issue as the early ones, but still doing the bearings every 100-150K is cheap insurance vs having to replace cranks and rods.

The absolute pick of the engines is the 1HD-FTE, but again, thats not an option till 2025-2027 for you guys.

Tho there are plenty of 80 series running around Aus that have been re-engined with 1HD-FTE motors from 70's and 100's.... How specific ARE the rules around that 25yr thing? Could you buy and import a 1994 80 series with a 2005 1HD-FTE engine in it?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
That's a really good question and I bet in many states you'd be totally OK. I don't think they inspect the engine, just go 'yep, 25 year old frame, next'.

Not sure I'd want to be the guy to test that, but if someone has experience with it I would be very interested to hear.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
They are supposed to be factory original according to the law but nobody checks that.
You can also import a car and then swap whatever engine in it here in the states too.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

KakerMix posted:

They are supposed to be factory original according to the law but nobody checks that.
You can also import a car and then swap whatever engine in it here in the states too.

Have you heard of anyone’s experience importing some of the crazy modified vehicles that come up for auction? I love some of the Japanese freaky modding scenes but I don’t know if those things could make it through, like the bosozuku vans or super modded jimnys.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Snowy posted:

Have you heard of anyone’s experience importing some of the crazy modified vehicles that come up for auction? I love some of the Japanese freaky modding scenes but I don’t know if those things could make it through, like the bosozuku vans or super modded jimnys.

If it’s 25 years old and has a VIN anything is fine depends where you live and inspections for registering

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Snowy posted:

I should clarify, the engine is supposed to be original, and without modification. It's a part of the EPA requirements. Anything else is federally cool.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
TBH I haven’t seen that much crazy stuff lately other than some funeral cars, no wild transformer vans lately but maybe bc I filter out high mileage stuff. I used to see a lot more crazy vans. Now horribly modded interiors sure all day but noticeable absence of wild stuff lately that I’ve noticed.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Question for anyone who might have the answer - chicken tax applies to any truck, right? Even if I brought in a four-door pickup, it's still gonna get taxed at 25%?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Question for anyone who might have the answer - chicken tax applies to any truck, right? Even if I brought in a four-door pickup, it's still gonna get taxed at 25%?

No. If it has 4 seats it is passenger, if it doesn't it is for commercial use.

If you have two identical Hilux trucks, one single cab and one double, you'll be taxed 25% on the single and 2.5% on the double. Applies to vans too, and depends entirely on if there is a back seat or not. This also depends on your import broker as this directly affects their applications to the feds.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Awesome. Good info, I was wondering if 4 door trucks might be exempt. They should be!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Fire truck was supposed to get picked up from port today but Hoegh taking their sweet time releasing the hold, maybe Friday

Only registered members can see post attachments!

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Okay goons...it finally happened and I won this:

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-2LuMG2aEpmeXlF2.htm

Specs: 1995 Isuzu Fargo (chassis code November 1994, nice!), 154km/96kmiles, 2.4L diesel (non-turbo but oh well...), 4wd, 5 speed manual on the floor. Ticking all the boxes I pray, if I need to re-sell it pronto.

Got it for just under $3,000. Good deal? Please say yes...I need lots of encouragement and kind words...I'm very anxious and am notable for having extreme buyer's remorse.

Everdave and Kaker, if you would so kindly indulge me in some answers:

First question: What is the Fargo related to over in the USA. Anyone know? That cool epc-data.com site doesn't do Isuzus. Is there a similar site out there for Isuzu's?

Second: I got an inspection and interior photos and it all panned out pretty well EXCEPT that the power steering is fuckled in some way (it was mentioned on the auction sheet). So, Yoshi said it can go to a mechanic in Japan for further inspection. I'm inclined to do this. Kaker and Everdave...you think that's a good idea? I know you've had your own forever stories with Japanese mechanics finding all kinds of poo poo. I guess I just want to know if the whole steering rack needs replacement or it's just a steering pump or something. I'm inclined to have the mechanic in Japan do the steering pump work if so. What's the usual labor rate over there? Here it's like $100/hour at this really good diesel mechanic in my city. I guess if I can get parts easily (see question one) then I'm inclined to just let the Japan mechanic figure out the problem and then ship said problem across the Pacific.

Third: We're headed into winter in the midwest. loving stupid timing. Power steering aside, should have a Japanese mechanic ensure all the water-based fluids are drained, and possibly the radiator fluid changed out to ensure it's not just...water, but actually has good quality anti-freeze in there? I don't want the engine block to crack while it's being trucked across Montana.

Fourth: Should I just pay for the "JCD’s friendly professional service charge of ¥99,000" that includes all the poo poo listed here? https://japancardirect.com/how-to-buy/

Okay, some other caveats I'm noticing that won't be fully apparent until I have it in my hands:

1. The toilet situation. It's clearly got a wet room with a little basin, based on the photos. But, that toilet...is it connected to a system or just a compost toilet? I think the latter. Kind of bummed on that. Yoshi wanted to make sure I got my bid in and I didn't really think that issue over very well. Stoked it has a wetroom with a basin at least, so I think a shower is possible. I just have no idea what sort of grey-water thing is going on. I need to get a shower in there and ideally get a camper-style flush toilet install. Oi vei...
2. There's some funky duct tape rework on the interior of the left side, by the dining table. I circled it in red in a photo below. Dunno what that even is.
3. There's random gross poo poo here and there. I shoulda asked for the inspector to consider if there's mold. At the very least I asked him to check for water damage in the ceiling and floor etc. They didn't see any.
4. Headliner is coming loose in the front upper-sleeping area. How does one fix that sort of thing? I don't want to recover it honestly. Do people just poke a hole and spray contact adhesive in there and press it back on?
5. Again, it's loving winter time in the midwest. Ugh...I hope that at the very least I took advantage of the seasons to get a good price. I think this is probably one of the few low-cost, lower-miles, okay-condition RVs I'm gonna see.

Some photos!

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 20, 2019

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It looks a lot like a Nissan Caravan.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

According to wiki, it is a rebadged Homy/Homy Caravan. Made in the Philippines until 2015, that might be a line on parts.

Does anyone know if Japanese van-based RV's like that are cut-away chassis or cut-up vans, originally.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've seen mention of Caravan being related to the Fargo. Can't quite pin it down but I'll search more on that since you mention it.

it might explain why I can't find mention of the Isuzu 2.4L diesel engine. It must be a Nissan diesel?

edit: This suggests something like that, but it also makes me WANT TO BELIEVE that it's a Turbo engine because apparently 1993 they swapped to Turbo engine. But alas the inspector said it was non-turbo. Yoshi said his research too yielded such a result. So I'm confused. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_Fargo#Japanese_market_timeline

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 20, 2019