Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
:siren: #1187 - Somewhere Between Super and Mega - :siren:

I love how Rich Burlew keeps subverting the inspiring speech tropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Elan? Are you OK?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

my dad posted:

Elan? Are you OK?

He's better than okay, he's the best around. :allears:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Once you've completed your character arc, you're allowed to be good at anything, even things completely at odds both with your original character and the nature of the challenges you overcame.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Holy poo poo, Elan. What a beautiful bard :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Llab posted:

Holy poo poo, Elan. What a beautiful bard :allears:
I also appreciate that Haley immediately suspected that Elan was doing the bard thing. She knows her leader, and she knows her man.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

ikanreed posted:

Once you've completed your character arc, you're allowed to be good at anything, even things completely at odds both with your original character and the nature of the challenges you overcame.

The thesis of Elan as a character is “despite what the propaganda of the world economy will tell you in demanding you either learn to code or get a MBA, the arts, and literary arts in specific, are productive and necessary endeavors for human functioning.” This is completely part of that.

It’s just always been filtered through the “bards are useless” dnd trope which Rich is arguing is a direct outgrowth of modern societal scorn for career artists

Furthermore, “learning to code” in the dnd layer of the metaphor is in this case “become capable of solving encounters via damage” and Elan does pick that up as a secondary skill, indicating that the view of the comic is that such things are not to be considered in direct opposition to the arts, and it’s probably smart FOR an artist to pick up other skills for other uses, but also that they will always fundamentally be motivated by their creative impulse and that will define their productive output—i.e. adding charisma to damage. And it works!

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 19, 2019

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mister Olympus posted:

The thesis of Elan as a character is “despite what the propaganda of the world economy will tell you in demanding you either learn to code or get a MBA, the arts, and literary arts in specific, are productive and necessary endeavors for human functioning.” This is completely part of that.

It’s just always been filtered through the “bards are useless” dnd trope which Rich is arguing is a direct outgrowth of modern societal scorn for career artists

Furthermore, “learning to code” in the dnd layer of the metaphor is in this case “become capable of solving encounters via damage” and Elan does pick that up as a secondary skill, indicating that the view of the comic is that such things are not to be considered in direct opposition to the arts, and it’s probably smart FOR an artist to pick up other skills for other uses, but also that they will always fundamentally be motivated by their creative impulse and that will define their productive output—i.e. adding charisma to damage. And it works!

Which is hilarious with regards to the evolution of D&D, since 5E Bards are some of the most potent characters available if you build 'em right.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mister Olympus posted:

Yes but specifically he's incredibly honest, and while his arc allowed for him developing a better sense of distrust and less naďvety, I don't think he learned to manipulate his friends

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
He gave a better pep speech when his leader failed to deliver one (without calling attention to said failing), you're over thinking this

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

PMush Perfect posted:

I also appreciate that Haley immediately suspected that Elan was doing the bard thing. She knows her leader, and she knows her man.

They are such a good pair.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Minrah being deeply confused by the whole thing was pretty good, too - she hasn't yet come up to speed with The Order's particular style of interpersonal dysfunction.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

ikanreed posted:

Yes but specifically he's incredibly honest, and while his arc allowed for him developing a better sense of distrust and less naďvety, I don't think he learned to manipulate his friends

Nothing he said was untrue, though. He's not lying to cover Roy, he's helping to emphasise the positive underneath Roy's actions. That's extremely in character for Elan, who consistently sees the best in people and their actions, even when he really shouldn't, and more specifically consistently reads almost anything Roy says to him short of a direct insult as praise by omission. The only difference is that he's starting to be a little more self-aware of the fact that he's seeing the positive and there might be other ways to see it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Plus, what is being inspiring but benevolent emotional manipulation?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
This honestly sounds like something my dad would say, taking something as simple as trusting the team to do what's needed, and spinning it as the ultimate vote of confidence.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Whenever there's a clear callback that I don't quite remember, I always feel like I have to go back and see it. Thankfully, the comic in question is pretty close to the front.

Also, "Bwaha, I have deep seated emotional problems" is one of the early gems in the comic.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's also not really a crucial moment to inspire the team, since they've got a lot of transit time before they get anything done. Nice of Elan to try anyways.

The vague medieval period of most fantasy would probably have lower extraction rates of metals like copper, so there'd probably be more value (although unlike gold, copper's a pretty crucial material for tools and building, so it can't become too precious).

Of course, in any case the value of the raw material usually doesn't matter as much as the value conferred by whatever it's been made into unless you're doing some long-distance trade to places that don't share any currency. It's always bugged me that fantasy settings like to totally skip currency types and deal in pure, non-debased coinage. Reminds me too much of libertarians pushing for the gold standard.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Anyone else gets the feeling that Eugene's gonna visit now?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I kind of wish that more settings would do more with gold being the currency of choice beyond “it’s valuable because it’s valuable IRL”.

Like, for example, gold is the premiere conductor of some forms of magic.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Regalingualius posted:

I kind of wish that more settings would do more with gold being the currency of choice beyond “it’s valuable because it’s valuable IRL”.

They should make diamonds into coins. Every time you resurrect someone you cause inflation.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Regalingualius posted:

I tried that once and ended up with a neurotic economy obsessed dwarf who tried to single-handedly invent paper currency.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like if a material was both rare and actually important, people would be too busy using it for a real purpose and wouldn't bother wasting it as just currency.

Like I know Spartans made a currency out of iron, but I think that iron wasn't that rare for them, and in practice it was basically fiat.

YggiDee posted:

I tried that once and ended up with a neurotic economy obsessed dwarf who tried to single-handedly invent paper currency.

That's a pretty natural impulse. It's basically how most banks work, although I think there's some kind of critical mass before your banknotes are trusted and traded freely.

There's still things like monk orders during the crusades that would give you receipts for deposits up in Europe that you could redeem for money down in the holy land because schlepping all your money yourself on a pilgrimage is dangerous.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
If you want an adventurer economy to make any kind of sense you basically need to divorce it from the common economy completely. There has to be a reason ordinary people can't or won't deal in the kind of wealth monsters hoard and adventurers hunt.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

If you get too much money a group of adventures will always show up to raid your holdings.

Gotta keep your wealth below your loot table default.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Wealth above a certain percentage is legally a dragon's hoard, and a dragon will spontaneously develop over it.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

YggiDee posted:

Wealth above a certain percentage is legally a dragon's hoard, and a dragon will spontaneously develop over it.

Like Smaug?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

They should make diamonds into coins. Every time you resurrect someone you cause deflation.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Use fiat money, but money is the required component for resurrection. The Fed adjust the money supply through murder and resurrection.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Use fiat money, but money is the required component for resurrection. The Fed adjust the money supply through murder and resurrection.

Estate taxes are then legitimate double taxation.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
During a recession, the Fed hires adventurers to kill monsters and loot their lairs, increasing the money supply. When inflation looms, they resurrect those monsters, decreasing the money supply.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Dragons very carefully manage the economy because none of them want their hoard to decrease in value due to inflation

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So an odd question:

They need a diamond worth 1000 GP to do a resurrection, right? What determines the worth? Like can they cross country lines to a place where diamond is less valuable in order to get a cheaper resurrection?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My dm always said "the magic knows"

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

So an odd question:

They need a diamond worth 1000 GP to do a resurrection, right? What determines the worth? Like can they cross country lines to a place where diamond is less valuable in order to get a cheaper resurrection?

I think they'd need to do the opposite. Buy the diamond where it is less valuable, then travel to a region where the value of it would increase to equal at least GP

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Also you cant just Plane Shift to the Plane of Elemental Earth where large chunks are just made up of Diamonds, mine hundreds of lbs of the stuff and say "do your own conversation. And keep the change."

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Teleport and other spells make regional office differences for compact goods rather minimal.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
In Glen Cook's Garrett P.I. series (fantasy that's a lot lighter than the Black Company books!), silver is used to fuel sorcery, and a war in part over silver mines makes the price of silver fluctuate as well. Since both silver and gold are used as currency, there's a lot of arbitrage opportunity - and this is vital in some of the books' plots. Even the local empires' policy on minting and seigniorage becomes important.

Not something you'd expect of a hard-boiled detective pastiche/parody set in a fantasy world, but hey it's Cook.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

YggiDee posted:

Dragons very carefully manage the economy because none of them want their hoard to decrease in value due to inflation

Hobbits carrying illegal cups are responsible for 90% of gold value inflation in lake town this year. We need to put a stop to these criminals and the dwarf gangs that enable them

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

So an odd question:

Why even bother with country lines and other geographical nonsense? The price of an object is determined by how much a buyer is willing to pay for it, full stop.

All you need to do is just conduct an interparty negotiation where one of the PCs agrees to buy the diamond in question for 1000 GP from one of the other PCs. If you don't have 1000 GP on hand, no problem, you can just conduct the sale on credit. Once the value of the diamond is set, do the resurrection. Easy peasy.

Then all that's left is for your DM to drop rocks on everyone involved in the transaction for trying to engage in such obvious rule lawyering bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There’s even a joke about this in one of the early desert strips. I can’t be assed to go find it (on mobile), but it was basically:

“I managed to haggle these rubies down to 400gp!”

“Cool, but the spell requires 500gp worth of rubies. Go back in and buy more.”