Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Doesn't Tex have a history of this poo poo? https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comments/dxcvs0/tex_johnson_punching_will_tackett_last_night/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

He wasn't even DQ'd for punching his teenage opponent, because the organizers claim they hadn't trained the refs in what to do if striking occurs in a sub-only grappling tournament. Incredible.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

JaySB posted:

Got moderately high before the seminar.

He taught some really cool stuff from reverse side control to leg locks and to spider web. Rambled on a LOT but the techniques and some of the philosophies he talked about were great.

reverse side control? Bottom side? Can you elaborate a bit? Gotta love Eddie's ramblings haha.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

heeebrew posted:

reverse side control? Bottom side? Can you elaborate a bit? Gotta love Eddie's ramblings haha.

Reverse Kesa Gatame, twister side control, reverse side control, different names for the same position.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Love my morning classes. 7am, 4 guys and a 2nd degree black belt running the class. I feel like I am getting private lessons. Then at the end of class when its time to bow out, he tells us that he hasnt had anyone (under him) make it past purple. They moved away got injured or just quit. Nice knowing that I might be one of his first black belts...

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Did a 50/50 seminar with Lachlan Giles today. Well run, tons of content, tightly packed into 2.5 hours. I think it's all stuff that's covered in his latest DVD set, but it was good to have it compressed down to the core bits and get to drill those under his supervision. Spent tons of time on heelhook fundamentals that I had no idea I was missing.

I don't really like seminars, but this one was cheaper than most ($80 AUD) and he announced the content ahead of time, and it was super useful to me. Galvao was $200 AUD and nobody knew what they were learning until they arrived.

Best case: Have something you want to work on, a particular position or a particular submission. "I find it easy to take the back, but I struggle to finish rear naked chokes." or a bit vaguer, like "I'm pretty bad at guillotines, and I'd like to fix that."
Worst case: Roll with them for a few minutes and ask them to identify a problem and fix it.

If Lachlan ever comes around to my neck of the woods Im doing a leglock seminar with him for sure.

Has anyone ever done one of Kenny Florians seminars? He has one on leglocks coming up and im interested.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Would love to hear more details of the Edgy Brah seminar. I'm really not familiar with attacking legs or spiderweb from twister side (which is the term Eddie tends to use).

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

heeebrew posted:

Would love to hear more details of the Edgy Brah seminar. I'm really not familiar with attacking legs or spiderweb from twister side (which is the term Eddie tends to use).

From twister side control, you post up on your far side elbow, step your outside leg towards their legs, then hop your inside leg between their legs and hook the near leg. Immediately shoot your top side arm (not the posted elbow) underneath their near leg and then grab the shin on the far leg. Posted elbow comes up and secures the knee of the same leg that you're controlling with the other arm. Bring your back leg forward and connect it to their hip and sit back into the honey hole. From there sit back to pass the trapped leg across your body to the outside heel hook position. Sit up, grab the far leg above the knee and then overhook the ankle to sit back on an ankle lock. You can attack either leg in that spot and they're pretty hosed.

That's a lot of detail and I hope I explained it correctly so that you can visualize it. I can demonstrate it much easier but I hate the idea of being on film.

To get to spiderweb from side control: Weave your hand through your partner's legs to turn their hips away and attach your chest to their spine. From there we're going to hunt for the gift wrap or kimura, ideally the kimura since we're going to transition to spiderweb arm bar. Once the kimura grip is secured, step over to arm bar and sit, the arm closest to their head should weave through elbow deep on the arm bar and grab your own thigh, arm closest to their legs hooks the leg. If the opponent defends correctly and figure 4's their arms with the top arm underneath your thigh, take the leg that is pinning their head off their head and pull them up towards their own legs. Hand that is hooking the leg reaches for the now freed wrist. Bring the leg back over their face and press down. Maintain far wrist control the whole time, slide the arm barring arm from your elbow towards your own wrist as you seek to connect to their wrist/hand and sit back for the finish. This, simply, is spiderweb to bollinger break.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Recently I've gotten incredibly irked by some stuff at my gym and I know it's probably nothing to get so worked up over but it's just one of those things that the more I'm reminded of it, the more invariably annoyed/aggravated I get over it.

I don't know how I can really reconcile how I feel about it so I can stop letting it annoy and affect me in such a negative way.

Edit - Sorry for the vague venting. Just really disappointed/annoyed at stuff right now.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 19, 2019

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Mekchu posted:

Recently I've gotten incredibly irked by some stuff at my gym and I know it's probably nothing to get so worked up over but it's just one of those things that the more I'm reminded of it, the more invariably annoyed/aggravated I get over it.

I don't know how I can really reconcile how I feel about it so I can stop letting it annoy and affect me in such a negative way.

Edit - Sorry for the vague venting. Just really disappointed/annoyed at stuff right now.

When life gets you down, remember that Jizz Fighter is always out there, making the gym he is in a better place by making the worst guy in the line up less worst.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

JaySB posted:

From twister side control, you post up on your far side elbow, step your outside leg towards their legs, then hop your inside leg between their legs and hook the near leg. Immediately shoot your top side arm (not the posted elbow) underneath their near leg and then grab the shin on the far leg. Posted elbow comes up and secures the knee of the same leg that you're controlling with the other arm. Bring your back leg forward and connect it to their hip and sit back into the honey hole. From there sit back to pass the trapped leg across your body to the outside heel hook position. Sit up, grab the far leg above the knee and then overhook the ankle to sit back on an ankle lock. You can attack either leg in that spot and they're pretty hosed.

That's a lot of detail and I hope I explained it correctly so that you can visualize it. I can demonstrate it much easier but I hate the idea of being on film.

To get to spiderweb from side control: Weave your hand through your partner's legs to turn their hips away and attach your chest to their spine. From there we're going to hunt for the gift wrap or kimura, ideally the kimura since we're going to transition to spiderweb arm bar. Once the kimura grip is secured, step over to arm bar and sit, the arm closest to their head should weave through elbow deep on the arm bar and grab your own thigh, arm closest to their legs hooks the leg. If the opponent defends correctly and figure 4's their arms with the top arm underneath your thigh, take the leg that is pinning their head off their head and pull them up towards their own legs. Hand that is hooking the leg reaches for the now freed wrist. Bring the leg back over their face and press down. Maintain far wrist control the whole time, slide the arm barring arm from your elbow towards your own wrist as you seek to connect to their wrist/hand and sit back for the finish. This, simply, is spiderweb to bollinger break.

good stuff

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Love my morning classes. 7am, 4 guys

I wish mine were like that. At my last 6am class there were around 15 guys and around half that class' regulars are blue and purple belts. The lowest I've seen attend that time were around 10 people.

Then again while I'd like to have more one on one, at least getting my rear end kicked by blue and purple belts on the reg is helping learn what not to do. Also they're super helpful during rolls giving me tips on the fly, so there's that.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

When life gets you down, remember that Jizz Fighter is always out there, making the gym he is in a better place by making the worst guy in the line up less worst.

The other American at my gym tried talking me out of my funk but couldn't really get through to me but this for some reason did. Thanks.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

JaySB posted:

You can also do this from regular side control by knee tapping the far knee of the opponent and making them think you will go to mount. They open their legs to prevent your mount, and you hop into saddle. Before we knew about the saddle, this was a knee bar setup, but saddle is much better to go to.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

You can also do this from regular side control by knee tapping the far knee of the opponent and making them think you will go to mount. They open their legs to prevent your mount, and you hop into saddle. Before we knew about the saddle, this was a knee bar setup, but saddle is much better to go to.

There's a ton of different entries for sure.

I got to teach and use that arm bar stuff today which was pretty cool.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On a more positive BJJ training note, I really am enjoying toying with lapel chokes (specifically using my lapel to choke them from the back). It's also helped me with transitioning to armbars which I'm not very comfortable with.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

training in the gi has become actively unappealing to me and I'm not quite sure why

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Wangsbig posted:

training in the gi has become actively unappealing to me and I'm not quite sure why

spider guard?

I train in the gi all the time, and I like it, but I've always been repulsed by spider guard.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I enjoy gi when I’m winning and despise gi when I’m losing. Grips and lapels are immensely fun to wrap other people up with, but miserable to be on the receiving end of.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

After taking time off, I basically forgot how to tie my belt and forgot how important grip fighting is in gi. Also I forgot how much my fingers hurt.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Learned how to counter an Omoplata with a toe lock

Also learned how to counter an inside single leg shot with a kimura grip to throw to back take

Than they went into some leg lock poo poo and lost me

Than we rolled

Great scene, very awesome friendly gym. super fun with my big dumb white belt rear end

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Heh, Mike and I are going to Rio in February for Carnival. He's a good dude.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
did gi chokes for the first time in forever yesterday and now my neck looks like someone tried to garrote me- a great look for work

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

did gi chokes for the first time in forever yesterday and now my neck looks like someone tried to garrote me- a great look for work

I got hit in the face by a white belt this week and one of my bridgework teeth broke and it is costing me 3000 dollars to get replaced. I rather have what you have right now.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I got hit in the face by a white belt this week and one of my bridgework teeth broke and it is costing me 3000 dollars to get replaced. I rather have what you have right now.

Does your gym's insurance not help out?

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Does your gym's insurance not help out?

Limited Liability wavier I had to sign with Judo NB basically says no. Also it's a volunteer group so there is no insurance.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Limited Liability wavier I had to sign with Judo NB basically says no. Also it's a volunteer group so there is no insurance.

That really sucks man. Out of curiosity were you wearing a mouthguard? Or did this happen regardless of the mouthguard being in :ohdear:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Fuuuuuuck that's a lot of money :(

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

butros posted:

That really sucks man. Out of curiosity were you wearing a mouthguard? Or did this happen regardless of the mouthguard being in :ohdear:

I was wearing a mouthguard, but the bridgework have been in my mouth for years and they are suppose to last 10-15 Years max. I got 20 years out of that tooth and one rebond that lasted 5 years so it was a matter of time before it came out. It just sucked that it happened to a spazzy white belt than say, eating Pad Thai.

Edit: My work insurance is covering 50% but I still need to pay $1700 out of pocket. Such is life.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I was wearing a mouthguard, but the bridgework have been in my mouth for years and they are suppose to last 10-15 Years max. I got 20 years out of that tooth and one rebond that lasted 5 years so it was a matter of time before it came out. It just sucked that it happened to a spazzy white belt than say, eating Pad Thai.

Check the mouthguard. Most of them will cover some of the cost of dental work if the damage happens while wearing their mouthguard.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Check the mouthguard. Most of them will cover some of the cost of dental work if the damage happens while wearing their mouthguard.

I tried that route and they only cover teeth that are real and attached to the gum that were damaged from wearing the mouthguard. This bridgework tooth is "cosmetic" and not covered. I mean, it sucks but they do cover their rear end really well.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Waroduce posted:

Looks like he taught; kimura counter on a single leg to rolling hook sweep to honey hole.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Today I did a sweep to an electric chair/hip lock over and over to some kid. He kept complaining about it and eventually he kicked me in the face. I'm still pissed about it.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
How did that end up?

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Learned how to counter an Omoplata with a toe lock

Also learned how to counter an inside single leg shot with a kimura grip to throw to back take

Than we rolled

Great scene, very awesome friendly gym. super fun with my big dumb white belt rear end

I love that kimura butterfly sweep counter to a single leg. Saved my life many a times.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Yuns posted:

Today I did a sweep to an electric chair/hip lock over and over to some kid. He kept complaining about it and eventually he kicked me in the face. I'm still pissed about it.

Should've finished the sub. No more kicking.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yuns posted:

Given my woes this past week, they seem mild in comparison to this.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Of all the stupid things I've done, kicking a bjj blackbelt in the face isn't one of them. Kind of makes me feel better about myself.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Well did he get out or not?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm starting to think that the thread somehow got collectively cursed to have a weird week of training. I'll add mine in the spirit of things.

I didn't want to post about it because it's hard to present without seeming like a flex (believe me that I don't mean it as a flex) - but last Thursday I put someone to sleep in a live roll for the first time ever. We don't really do stripes, but this guy is probably the equivalent of a 1-2 stripe white belt. I guess my Von Flue from half guard KOed him before he had a chance to tap, or before he realized that he was actually in a strangle and not just eating a shoulder of justice. I was weirded out by it for like 4 days because he stayed stiff while I was squeezing - he didn't go limp, and he continued to exert pressure, specifically clamping my leg. I let go because he coughed and twitched in a funny way.

Not a pleasant experience getting up from a technique like that to see a guy staring through time and space and then twitching as he comes around. I felt weird at training the last few times out since then. He's ok, though. He took a round off and got back in there. I felt better about grappling when I was the one who got put out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I got put to sleep for the first time last week. darce from side control with both of my arms kinda trapped, and I guess he couldn’t hear me gurgling “tap”. Apparently I shook a lot like in a seizure while coming back to, but I was fine after 30 seconds