Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

if u r on the fence about VR or u havent tried it yet, i really recommend seeing if u have any VR arcades in your area. I went to one a few years ago with a couple of my friends and we all had a blast. it was a surprisingly headache-free hour that really let me know the strengths and weaknesses of the medium. Some of my friends werent really gamers too and they ended up have a lot of fun as well. Now we usually end up going back every few months.

was about to get an index, but lost my job so i need to wait again before i can get a setup going. excited to see what theyre gonna show on thursday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

TheFluff posted:

:cripes:

The selling point of the Quest is that it is a standalone console:

It has been sold as such for months. It has had the PCVR headset capability for a week. As a $400 0th generation console, it is a bad buy. As a PCVR headset, well, right now, it's so beta that the audio doesn't work and in your own words:

You can argue that it's a good enough PCVR headset and that if you buy it for that the console parts make it worth the tradeoff vs the Rift S, but the entire selling point that both you and KakerMix has been dragging up repeatedly is that it's totally a standalone thing that doesn't need a PC. Which is technically true, but I maintain that buying it as a console is a terrible idea.

I've had a Quest for months and you may want to sit down for this: it's good

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The Games forum. Home. Or at least I thought it was, until the Great Sundering. Valve had opened Pandora's Box with their latest announcement and soon, blood was to be shed. Virtual blood, on the internet. I push open the CyberDoor to the forums and I turn off my Oculus™ SmellSense™ gear to stem the stench of body odour and the saline scent of tears that washes over me. Rows of doors are projected in front of me in a dingy grey carpeted hallway, each one representing a topic. I walk past each of them, fox-dong trailing behind me like a malformed jizz-slug. Enlightened discourse heard through the Disco Elysium door. Raucous laughter from Star Citizen. The rustles of fedoras tipping in Code: Vein's room, until I finally see one labeled: "Half-Life Is Back".

My wristmenu pings. Zuckerberg is projected in front of me, his cold lizard-like face as stiff and emotionless as ever. Only his mouth moves, oddly out of sync with his words.

'You have arrived at your mission. You must defend the honour of VR. Do this and I will Like you. Good luck, Cyber Peon #4590.'

I bust down the door with my humongous foxtits and survey the carnage in front of me. Wounded Cyber Peons dripping TekBlood onto the cold neon floor, flatscreen posters cackling manically, safe behind their monitors. It's a slaughter. They shouldn't have let these greenhorns out of the VR thread and now look at what's happened. A chill runs down my spine: I look to my left and see a small Japanese girl desperately firing blasts from her BadPostBlasters at a wall of floating flatscreens. She yells in a deep baritone: 'No! You're the cultist! Not me!'

gently caress! She's struggling, losing composure, fighting against all the odds. Flatscreen users firing back with BadPostBlasters of their own! Where the gently caress did they get those from? I have to help her. I must defend the honour of VR. I pull the trigger and my weapon roars into life.

Songbearer posted:

No! VR is really cool and has a great library of games these days! It's fine, just expensive!

I fire into the masses but my post just bounces off the screen harmlessly. Goddamn it, they have Logic Shields! What the gently caress did Zuckerberg put me up against?! I wasn't prepared to enter this sort of slaughter. None of us were. Jesus, Valve. We might be fighting the battle, but you're the cause of all this. In my panic, I've lost sight of my objective. The little Japanese girl is trapped, screaming against the wall of impassive flatscreens that descend on her like a tidal wave. Her voice distorts as she derezzes and leaves the thread in shame. I cry a single Dislike when I hear the whirr of a monitor tilting towards me.

'VR ma\kes yOu M@tion Sick.' The voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

Bile rises up in my throat. I squeeze the trigger.

Songbearer posted:

There's an adjustment period for some people but a lot of games have a bunch of mobility and comfort options to suit all users! Stop using VR if you feel ill!

There's a ping on my wrist menu as Zuckerberg sends me a Like. CYBER-PEON, SECOND RANK flashes in front of me and I can now Rate other people's posts. From far away I feel my physical body twitch as my Oculus Rift™ takes a sample of my blood and sends it to the Facebook headquarters for cloning purposes. The flatscreen monitor flashes as it leaves the thread. I tell myself it's not because this is a dumb discussion nobody really cares about. That's one down, but how many more to go? How long can I last?

I hope that this Alyx game is good. The cost of production is so much higher than anyone at Valve can truly know.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheFluff posted:

:cripes:

The selling point of the Quest is that it is a standalone console:

It has been sold as such for months. It has had the PCVR headset capability for a week. As a $400 0th generation console, it is a bad buy. As a PCVR headset, well, right now, it's so beta that the audio doesn't work and in your own words:

You can argue that it's a good enough PCVR headset and that if you buy it for that the console parts make it worth the tradeoff vs the Rift S, but the entire selling point that both you and KakerMix has been dragging up repeatedly is that it's totally a standalone thing that doesn't need a PC. Which is technically true, but I maintain that buying it as a console is a terrible idea.

I honestly have literally no idea what you mean by "It has had the PCVR headset capability for a week. As a $400 0th generation console, it is a bad buy." I don't see how those statements have anything to do with each other. Yeah it's beta right now since it was just released, but it still works really well. When I say "the resolution is noticeably lower" I mean going from native Quest stuff to Link stuff, you can tell that things are compressed a bit and everything's less sharp, but that more or less means it looks like a Rift/Vive which is still really great. I also don't really understand your dig of "0th generation console," what does that even mean?

Again, how does optionally being hooked up to act as a PCVR headset make it a bad buy as a console? There's a ton of great stuff on it, and I'd argue that most people are going to get the most value out of the standalone stuff because it's way less of a pain in the rear end than PCVR can ever be.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's funny to smoke weed with your friends and use the quest to watch each other get scared by a shark. This is what God intended for vr.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Man I'm glad I don't care about Half-Life anymore because this is a pretty big slap to the face for those who do. I'm just gonna be over here amused as it turns out to not be the full-fledged sequel everyone is hoping against hope for it to be.

Making a Half-Life VR spinoff: fine, maybe even great - Valve IS very good at VR, possibly the best at it.

Making a Half-Life VR spinoff when there is virtually no possibility of HL3 happening: so tone-deaf it's hilarious.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

drat guys, imagine this but in full-fledged high-end VR:

Also calling it, it's gonna be an Epic exclusive a month before release.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Palpek posted:

:gonk:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Palpek posted:

:whitewater:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
This is a thing to get people using steam VR. That’s all. Valve is a content distribution company.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Y'all know the choice was Half Life VR or no Half Life at all, right?

It wasn't a "Oh we're gonna do this instead of a standard FPS style game." It was a "We want to innovate with a Half Life game. We tried for 10+ years until we settled on VR. Here ya go."

I mean look on the bright side. At the very least you'll get to watch some dopey over-acting Let's Player enjoy it instead of you!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm going to play Half-Life VR and nobody can stop me

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

KakerMix posted:

I'm going to play Half-Life VR and nobody can stop me
                                                      /

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Palpek posted:

Valve has spent the past 15 years hiring the people who keep doing these, they've been assembling the perfect team...

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Are the people who get motion sickness getting appropriately high before putting the headset on?

This is important.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Palpek posted:

This is... SO much more cinematic...! How did they make it so... Cinematic? It's too much cinema for me.

Calipark posted:

It wasn't a "Oh we're gonna do this instead of a standard FPS style game." It was a "We want to innovate with a Half Life game. We tried for 10+ years until we settled on VR. Here ya go."

I've seen this excuse before, that Valve only does a Half-Life game if there's new tech to show off, and it's bullshit and a cop-out. Valve didn't make a new Half-Life game because their internal structure sucks and has no clear leadership. Full stop. No other reason. They would have made one years ago if not for that.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I've seen this excuse before, that Valve only does a Half-Life game if there's new tech to show off, and it's bullshit and a cop-out. Valve didn't make a new Half-Life game because their internal structure sucks and has no clear leadership. Full stop. No other reason. They would have made one years ago if not for that.

So it's just a coincidence that their internal structure and leadership got their act together when their VR tech was ready to make a new game?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Palpek posted:

I will buy it + whatever extra equipment is required day one, if it's this plus the Mario 64 face stretching mechanics in VR

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

PIZZA.BAT posted:

So it's just a coincidence that their internal structure and leadership got their act together when their VR tech was ready to make a new game?

There's no way this is a full-length game.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

There's no way this is a full-length game.

why not, a week ago saying the next half-life game was going to be VR only would have been met with the same "no way" confidence.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
People were speculating that the next half life game was probably going to be a VR game for years and then it finally happens and everyone has a collective meltdown lol

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Palpek posted:

I was going to call out the sheer absurdity of this statement but it's 20 loving 19 and we're living in the Onion's alternate bizzaro universe, so you're probably right.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Regardless of VR, I don't have high hopes for this just because it's a modern Valve game and modern Valve has basically zero experience actually making games (the last big thing they made in house was Portal 2). Staff churn has probably removed anyone from the old days or the studios they've bought who actually wants to make / has any experience making games.

I'm interpreting this similarly to 'unknown studio with lots of resources announces game'. Sometimes those are great (see Disco Elysium), but probably it'll be meh.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This is... SO much more cinematic...! How did they make it so... Cinematic? It's too much cinema for me.

That and most of the people who actually know how to make and write single player games left the company a loooooooong time a go. The shiny new ~VR~ Half-Life is gonna be a halfbaked tech demo, designed to sell an over expensive gimmick product. Also, probably VR hats.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Missionary Positron posted:

That and most of the people who actually know how to make and write single player games left the company a loooooooong time a go.

Except for that studio they just bought who are known for solo narrative experiences. :eng101:

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

stev posted:

Except for that studio they just bought who are known for solo narrative experiences. :eng101:

Do you mean Campo Santo? I can't find any other recent acquisitions but Campo Santo only created one game

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

TheFluff posted:

And you know this despite having never played VR whatsoever? "I've never tried [thing] but it's definitely bad" is certainly an opinion to have

Meanwhile actual Quest havers seem to mostly really like it, but what do they know compared to TheFluff having watched a few YouTube videos

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Songbearer posted:

The Games forum. Home. Or at least I thought it was, until the Great Sundering. Valve had opened Pandora's Box with their latest announcement and soon, blood was to be shed. Virtual blood, on the internet. I push open the CyberDoor to the forums and I turn off my Oculus™ SmellSense™ gear to stem the stench of body odour and the saline scent of tears that washes over me. Rows of doors are projected in front of me in a dingy grey carpeted hallway, each one representing a topic. I walk past each of them, fox-dong trailing behind me like a malformed jizz-slug. Enlightened discourse heard through the Disco Elysium door. Raucous laughter from Star Citizen. The rustles of fedoras tipping in Code: Vein's room, until I finally see one labeled: "Half-Life Is Back".

My wristmenu pings. Zuckerberg is projected in front of me, his cold lizard-like face as stiff and emotionless as ever. Only his mouth moves, oddly out of sync with his words.

'You have arrived at your mission. You must defend the honour of VR. Do this and I will Like you. Good luck, Cyber Peon #4590.'

I bust down the door with my humongous foxtits and survey the carnage in front of me. Wounded Cyber Peons dripping TekBlood onto the cold neon floor, flatscreen posters cackling manically, safe behind their monitors. It's a slaughter. They shouldn't have let these greenhorns out of the VR thread and now look at what's happened. A chill runs down my spine: I look to my left and see a small Japanese girl desperately firing blasts from her BadPostBlasters at a wall of floating flatscreens. She yells in a deep baritone: 'No! You're the cultist! Not me!'

gently caress! She's struggling, losing composure, fighting against all the odds. Flatscreen users firing back with BadPostBlasters of their own! Where the gently caress did they get those from? I have to help her. I must defend the honour of VR. I pull the trigger and my weapon roars into life.

I fire into the masses but my post just bounces off the screen harmlessly. Goddamn it, they have Logic Shields! What the gently caress did Zuckerberg put me up against?! I wasn't prepared to enter this sort of slaughter. None of us were. Jesus, Valve. We might be fighting the battle, but you're the cause of all this. In my panic, I've lost sight of my objective. The little Japanese girl is trapped, screaming against the wall of impassive flatscreens that descend on her like a tidal wave. Her voice distorts as she derezzes and leaves the thread in shame. I cry a single Dislike when I hear the whirr of a monitor tilting towards me.

There's a ping on my wrist menu as Zuckerberg sends me a Like. CYBER-PEON, SECOND RANK flashes in front of me and I can now Rate other people's posts. From far away I feel my physical body twitch as my Oculus Rift™ takes a sample of my blood and sends it to the Facebook headquarters for cloning purposes. The flatscreen monitor flashes as it leaves the thread. I tell myself it's not because this is a dumb discussion nobody really cares about. That's one down, but how many more to go? How long can I last?

I hope that this Alyx game is good. The cost of production is so much higher than anyone at Valve can truly know.

Goldmine

Just this post though

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
lmfao of course goons didn't learn a single loving thing from artifact

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Yaknow it was painful being drained of every single nano-iota of good will in my body but at least I can get some schadenfreude from watching people who purport to be my age who MUST know how valve operates these days somehow get exploited for some quick capital by the only thing that is more cynical than me, the vampiric husk of Valve.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Foxfire_ posted:

Regardless of VR, I don't have high hopes for this just because it's a modern Valve game and modern Valve has basically zero experience actually making games (the last big thing they made in house was Portal 2). Staff churn has probably removed anyone from the old days or the studios they've bought who actually wants to make / has any experience making games.

There's still about 50 or so employees at Valve who were around in the Half Life 2/Portal days, considering the size of the company that isn't insignificant. They've also contracted former writers on occasion, Erik Wolpaw wrote for Aperture Hand Labs.

Not to mention the trickle of stuff that they have been releasing for VR is extremely high quality. The Lab is still one of the best introductions to VR even if it is mostly a grab bag of tech demos, the typical Valve world building and highly refined design is all there and the writing is as clever and funny as anything else they've produced.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 20, 2019

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
If this is really good I'll buy a VR set, probably. I still wish they'd just made an Episode 3 to at least wrap up the story, and then made this.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Bardeh posted:

If this is really good I'll buy a VR set, probably. I still wish they'd just made an Episode 3 to at least wrap up the story, and then made this.
Yeah I'm excited for HLVR but it's understandable that people are irritated that they never finished the HL2 episodes

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Songbearer posted:

It's finally here.

The topic where VR and Anti-VR goons... Finally battle.

*Sighs, looks at his fedora and katana and stands, knees creaking under the weight*

Sorry, meatspace body... It's time to jack in.

One.

Last.

Time.

Songbearer posted:

Finally free of my corpulent flesh, I hover in a white void for a while. I breathe in the sterile cyber-air, my Oculus™ SmellSense™ gear giving me a hint of chlorine and walnut. A few moments pass, then a voice, stiff and robotic.

'Welcome, Songbearer. The time for war is upon us. You have chosen the correct side. We thank you.'

The sound of Zuckerberg himself.

'It's my honor, Mark.'

'Do not call me that. Only Cyber-Warriors Of The Sixteenth Rank may call me that.'

A jolt of electricity shocks me back to my senses. It's fine - I shan't be returning to my prison of flesh anymore after this.

A flash of light and I'm standing side by side by my brothers in arms, fully kitted out in the avatars of their choice. Finally, my true form is revealed! I smirk, swishing my neon blue electrotail and strike a pose as I become Lutreica The FuckFox. I look at my wrist after navigating my arm past my mountainous H-cup breasts.

CYBER-PEON, FIRST RANK. YOUR TASK: DEFEND THE HONOUR OF FACEBOOK™ OCULUS™ VIRTUAL REALITY TECHNOLOGY.

POPULATION: 6 USERS. 202,472 PARACHUTE ACCOUNTS.

Was I truly ready to do this? Could I wage war on my home for the past... god, how many years was it? Too many. Too many years.

I sighed. My hands fell to my hips, only to fondle the smooth grips of two FaceCorp BadPostBlasters. Real poo poo. The best in the business.

My vulpine face curls into a sneer and my sixteen foot long dick springs erect. We're gonna make a mess with these babies. Let's rock.

Songbearer posted:

quote:

No! VR is really cool and has a great library of games these days! It's fine, just expensive!

quote:

There's an adjustment period for some people but a lot of games have a bunch of mobility and comfort options to suit all users! Stop using VR if you feel ill!

the only good posts itt

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Songbearer is the hero we deserve.

Foxfire_ posted:

I'm interpreting this similarly to 'unknown studio with lots of resources announces game'. Sometimes those are great (see Disco Elysium), but probably it'll be meh.

Yeah, and Portal 2 was iterating on an existing formula. Presumably, a VR game would be way more outside the box, and the last time they went outside the box was Artifact. I don't have a problem with VR havers getting a good Half-Life game, but the odds are against this working out.

Most of Valve's games were made by teams acquired mid-development, like the Counterstrike, Team Fortress and Left 4 Dead teams. Then Valve follow the existing blueprint closely for sequels. Left 4 Dead 2 was hardly even a sequel, it was just the same thing with more maps.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 20, 2019

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Palpek posted:

The human models and facial movements in HL2 were, and still are, really impressive. They did a lot of research to how eyes move and focus, and it holds up to this day. I wouldn't be surprised if interacting with the characters in HL:Alyx feels especially real to the point of spookiness.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Pontificating rear end posted:

The human models and facial movements in HL2 were, and still are, really impressive. They did a lot of research to how eyes move and focus, and it holds up to this day. I wouldn't be surprised if interacting with the characters in HL:Alyx feels especially real to the point of spookiness.
Yeah the delta in quality between, say, the G-Man in HL1 vs HL2 is loving insane for only 6 years

Wow, those eyes really still hold up, goddamn

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It's cute to me when folks say there's "no game dev talent at Valve" because to me that means you must work there. I'm guessing some folks whose names you recognize left the company, and you thought that was everyone? Or you have, on hand, the resumes of every employee? I'll never understand blanket hyperbole posts like that.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I can't speak for other posters, but it isn't about talent to me. It's about what's come out of Valve. They help indies with fantastic ideas get their project out under the Valve name, and they hit with sequels that stay close to what came before. A VR Half-Life sequel is to my understanding neither of those two things, so I liken it to Artifact and Condition Zero until we get an indication otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Cicero posted:

Yeah the delta in quality between, say, the G-Man in HL1 vs HL2 is loving insane for only 6 years

Wow, those eyes really still hold up, goddamn

Wow it's like staring into a mirror how incredible