Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Somebody here will know: what's the patient zero of everyone in my TL today talking about friends asking for help being emotional labor (mostly mocking whatever it was that started this conversation), not like the general concept but something specific everyone is talking about today but nobody is linking to the OP?

it's this (thread when you click through)

https://twitter.com/fyeahmfabello/status/1196551284914098177?s=20

emdash fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
an app that lets you make micropayments to your friends for their emotional labor of listening to you while you talk about your feelings because you view every human relationship as purely transactional

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the kind of people who throw 'emotional labor' around like that are 100% the kinds of people who don't understand that emotional work is the word they're looking for because they haven't worked a service job where emotional labor is required.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/fyeahmfabello/status/1196880746381807617

when you're super empathetic

also alternate joke: this is the kinda humble brag that only a PhD would do

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Somebody here will know: what's the patient zero of everyone in my TL today talking about friends asking for help being emotional labor (mostly mocking whatever it was that started this conversation), not like the general concept but something specific everyone is talking about today but nobody is linking to the OP?

I think it was this goober. not sure.

https://twitter.com/fyeahmfabello/status/1196551284914098177

EFB

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Thanks, yikes to that. Another data point for my theory that half the reason both like PUA type dudes and the hyperwoke turn into freaks is that they share this habit of restating completely normal human behavior in the weirdest possible terms -- asking "hey, are you busy?" before going off on some poo poo is not the craziest thing in the world if you just put it like a normal person would.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Gripweed posted:

A lot of British people try to pronounce French words in a French way, based on their vague memories of high school French class. That's how you end up with "skawn" instead of scone, and "krasawn" instead of croissant.

This Meyers-Briggs rear end post is hilariously wrong about both what the French pronunciation of scone would be, were it a French word (it's not), and also the attitude of Brits toward saying French words. Listen to them say "filet," "herb," or "valet"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

What the gently caress is this from

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

this bitch and everyone positively replying to her would happily respond to a suicide by extolling the need to destigmatize mental illness and wow people these days just can’t seem to express their feelings

sexpig by night posted:

good people with PhDs don’t use them as a title

Dr. Killjoy fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 20, 2019

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Something inferior to Paranoia Agent, which contains my favourite child suicide in all of anime and also someone jumping in front of a train. Happy Family Planning! He gets back up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

T-man posted:

Something inferior to Paranoia Agent, which contains my favourite child suicide in all of anime and also someone jumping in front of a train. Happy Family Planning! He gets back up.

I don't watch Satoshi kon studd bc I had a nervous breakdown complete with hallucinations a few years ago and now his specific brand of hallucinatory dream poo poo upsets me deeply because I spend a non zero amount of time wondering if I'm losing my mind again because I'm worried about it that's my story about paranoia agent

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Suicide Club I think

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The Suicide Club.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

sexpig by night posted:

https://twitter.com/fyeahmfabello/status/1196880746381807617

when you're super empathetic

that's imagination and only slightly

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dr. Killjoy posted:

The Suicide Club.

Oh, the one with Jared Leto as Joker?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
No that’s Suicide Gang

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Will been posting cringe

https://twitter.com/MenshevikM/status/1196990907280764932

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

this guy and his pals are extremely bad at posting

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Not gonna lie I imagined yakkity sax when I saw it muted

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

matt dropping Complete Control at the end of the gladio ep was loving SOLID

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
What is emotional labour?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Crankit posted:

the source of all emotional value of course

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

emotional labor is emotional productivity which is emotional wages minus emotional profit

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 20, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my experience with emotional labor is that one aunt or uncle who comes back in from a cig, sees crayon on the wall and yells "WHO'S IN CHARGE OF HUNTER??"

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The problem with that post is that it's in context of a few crowds having designated "free therapist" friends where people just constantly dump everything on them, sometimes to the point where they spend most of their social life time hearing out their pals' issues and comforting them rather than...doing anything else.

Of course then it became framed as a general thing so it legit looks like one could deploy this to anything rather than handling several people who decided to dump a major venting post on your messages app all at once while you're bust with something else.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Suicide club, aka suicide circle, by sion sono

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Crankit posted:

the emotional effort that is expected from you in different jobs, like nurses or security guards, and how noone is paid for it

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
e: bit late it seems!

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

anime bad

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol in the replies they think the Robinson piece or hyping Bernie Buckets is "cringe".

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/st3p4n/status/1196998060208984064?s=19

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That's fatal irony poisoning.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah Liz Warren was doing irony

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

BBJoey posted:

this guy and his pals are extremely bad at posting

https://twitter.com/kaklimakankat/status/1197030459303170051?s=20

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You did a cringe. You did an irony. You did a Big Structural Bailey. You did a HIGH HIGH HOPES FOR A

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

T-man posted:

I should give that one a rewatch one day it was cool but now that I'm older and smarter it's probably even cooler.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Uh oh buddy! You posted a cringey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Can someone tell me what the gently caress the word "structural" is doing in Big Structural Bailey