Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Dementropy posted:

Development that's so open, the backers will never know.

I mean, just the very expression of wanting to get rid of polygons denotes a fundamental lack of understanding about the obvious limitations for simulating reality with the help of maths in a pratical way. It is the same reason why we can not ask computers to go to the infinith decimal to calculate things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

Off topic, but i see some off topic banter going on, and nowhere else i can really share this.

Take this as a lesson of something not to say.

Last night, son is talking to my wife saying how he learned some new English words. The words for a free prostitute and a paid prostitute. Had garbled the pronunciation and said Gor (Whore) and Schlute (Slut).

Listening in, I said "What?"

He said "What do you call a prostitute you don't pay for?"

And without engaging my brain i quipped: "A wife"

Yeah, that one didn't go down too well.

:laffo:
:justpost:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

no_recall posted:

ITS TIME FOR THE ANNUAL ShitizenConned 2019 Raffle!

Top 3 Prizes: a month of Humble Monthly!

SO. Lets get to it.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GUESS THE NUMBER ON THE FUNDING TRACKER BY 1st DEC.

GO.

p/s: Please quote this so I don't have an excuse accidentally exclude your participation.

e: Participation closes the minutes before the Con. Nov 23 1PM GMT. (or when the Stream Begins).

$255,328,603

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

no_recall posted:

SO. Lets get to it.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GO.

p/s: Please quote this so I don't have an excuse accidentally exclude your participation.

e: Participation closes the minutes before the Con. Nov 23 1PM GMT. (or when the Stream Begins).

$261,135,996 +/- $1

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Is the SC leaks discord still Drag Queen Story hour panic central?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

no_recall posted:

SO. Lets get to it.

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GO.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

MarcusSA posted:

I live in LA and I just happen to be in England the time CitCon is going on... I really don’t think I have the energy to try and explain to my S/O why it would be funny to go to Manchester.

Oh do it, baby!

Can't wait!

The Denial Con is just an event to pretend they are witnessing "something never done before", while Star Citizen and SQ 42 are passed left and right by games with better tech, amazing gameplay, content and concepts. I can't wait for the new fake videos and scripted and controlled offline demos.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

no_recall posted:

SO. Lets get to it.

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GO.

The new lies about SQ42 and fake videos will be a 2016 Deja Vu, and that this will be Gamescom and Denialcon 2016 revisited.
The Cultists sunk cost galaxy needs to survice 2020, so I expect the whales to be fooled like toddlers again.

2016 Gamescom and Fakecom were about 10 Million in sales combinded,
so I am going with $252,020,24.

The last digits for the year the SC beta will frozen and never see release, as an irrelevant relict of failed game design and it will be a hilarious testament of failure of a Space MMO concept that was already outdated about a decade prior.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
"Different types of content can be found in caves. If you are a miner, you can find resource depots. Especially rich resources may require special flying skills, because the Prospector has to maneuver inside the cave. You may also be able to mine resources manually later, using tools such as the Pyro Tool.

NPCs could also settle in caves and set up camps there. They may be hostile, but there may also be special merchants among them. And of course there are lots of aliens, animals and other creatures that can be placed in such caves. With the new player status system, survival horror gameplay will be possible in no time at all.

Different types of content can be found in caves. If you are a miner, you can find resource depots. Especially rich resources may require special flying skills, because the Prospector has to maneuver inside the cave. You may also be able to mine resources manually later, using tools such as the Pyro Tool.

NPCs could also settle in caves and set up camps there. They may be hostile, but there may also be special merchants among them. And of course there are lots of aliens, animals and other creatures that can be placed in such caves. With the new player status system, survival horror gameplay will be possible in no time at all."

:yarg:

https://www.space4games.com/en/star-citizen-en/star-citizen-caves-on-moons-and-planets/id-3592/

Star Citizen: Different types of content can be found in caves
Star Citizen: survival horror gameplay possible in no time at all

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr.PayDay posted:

I kinda agree, Star Citizen has been a survival horror for years already.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
I remember when all of this was 2D...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pixelate posted:

Usually its not that easy to spot a flat earther

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

no_recall posted:

SO. Lets get to it.

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GO.

$254,603,497

I went too low last year. Whatever they do, a 2 hour presentation on Bresenham's linedraw or something, I fully expect the citizens to poo poo their pants with delight and say, "no-one's ever done it before! Time to buy an Idris."

Everyone looking forward to that greased weasel of a host, Lando, interviewing people who obviously hate him? I am.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pixelate posted:

It meant 100 systems at the time Frontier developed:
- appropriately generated starry background (it differs in different systems and you can realistically triangulate your galaxy position)
- 3D full size planets with realistic orbits and rotation
- no landing cutscenes at all (just transition screens, but that's not what he's talking about)
- trading area the size of a trading screen (OK, got me here, Star Citizen is good, buy an Idris)

Sanya Juutilainen fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 20, 2019

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

no_recall posted:

SO. Lets get to it.

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GO.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
$255,743,119

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

TheAgent posted:

who else gonna be getting drunk and watching citcon on saturday

hello

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://projectfailures.wordpress.com/2008/06/24/project-from-hell/

- Government Backers pay a few million Euros upfront, development is scheduled for two to three years. Company hires a couple of developers to start the job, and keeps doubling team size every 3 months or so as cash starts flowing in.
- 7 years later, the project is still not in any decent shape. Penalties are running in several thousand Euros per day. Refunds are stopped. Management decides to reduce costs and fires all experimented people, hires people with little or no software experience.
- Database Development software from a company gone bankrupt currently suing you
- Several layers on top of each other to handle the Graphical User Interface, none of which actually maintained by the authors.
- Startup time is about 15 minutes without SSD
- Mean time between server crashes: 30 seconds to 30 minutes 12 hours
- That’s right: more managers and art asset creators than actual developers.

The resemblance is uncanny. The only thing I am afraid of... if they are so similar, SC might have at least five more years...

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Pixelate posted:

I'm sorry, is this Star Citizen 2 thread? When was the first one released? Maybe I just don't understand game development numbers

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Pixelate posted:

This rationalization process is simply amazing.

And more convincing if spoken while rocking back and forth curled up in fetal position.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

no_recall posted:

SO. Lets get to it.

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GO.

$267,999,999

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

AbstractNapper posted:

This rationalization process is simply amazing.

And more convincing if spoken while rocking back and forth curled up in fetal position.
you have to convert 100 Star Citizen 1 Systems into the Crobeffort equivalent units and then convert that into Star Citizen 2 Systems, which looks like it works out to about 0.65

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
My old boss Brad McQuiad is dead at 51.
https://twitter.com/gamasutra/status/1197147582373302275
Kind of hard to believe, actually. While I disagreed with him a lot professionally, we both shared a lot of the same personal issues and struggles. Hope he's finally at peace.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Pixelate posted:

I didn't realize the sequel to Star Citizen is already in development. Shame I never got a chance to play the first one.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Understatement of the year.

I guess I'm this year's anti-Chris

TheAgent posted:

who else gonna be getting drunk and watching citcon on saturday
I'll most likely be watching, but in a sober state. The stream itself will probably be enough of a hangover for one weekend.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

TheAgent posted:

Kind of hard to believe, actually. While I disagreed with him a lot professionally, we both shared a lot of the same personal issues and struggles. Hope he's finally at peace.

my condolences.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Eldragon posted:

I didn't realize the sequel to Star Citizen is already in development. Shame I never got a chance to play the first one.

It was great.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Dogeh posted:

It was great.

Yeah remember those old Star Citizen LANs? Up all night eating pizza good times, really hope someone kick starts a spiritual successor someday.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

Off topic, but i see some off topic banter going on, and nowhere else i can really share this.

Take this as a lesson of something not to say.

Last night, son is talking to my wife saying how he learned some new English words. The words for a free prostitute and a paid prostitute. Had garbled the pronunciation and said Gor (Whore) and Schlute (Slut).

Listening in, I said "What?"

He said "What do you call a prostitute you don't pay for?"

And without engaging my brain i quipped: "A wife"

Yeah, that one didn't go down too well.

Would you like a SIM card with that self own?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eldragon posted:

I'd write we're already at Star Citizen 11 (on Elite forums this would be true), but alas, I have no idea what number of thread this is on SA. The thread delivers more than Star Citizen itself, it seems.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dogeh posted:

I thought that, but I remember seeing it, so how the....?

I have a pretty vivid memory of seeing the final episode of Star Trek Voyager on TV but with a slightly different transwarp conduit ending than the one that showed up on DVDs, so I don't know :shrug:

Randarkman posted:

Luke was supposed to have a failed run after Red Leader gets killed. But they cut it, because it was unnecessary and ruined the pacing. If you remember him having two runs you probably got that from having watched some making of documentary that mentioned this and/or read the novelization or listened to the radio play, both of which were based on the original screenplay which ended up being changed alot during filming and by the editors most prominently to improve the flow and pacing of the movie (and make it be not boring and terrible).

But yeah, no cut of the actual movie has ever included Luke doing two trench runs unless there's some weird unofficial cut out there that would have inserted a deleted scene (which probably would have looked terrible in comparison to the rest of the movie as it probably would be missing alot of optical effects and such) into the movie.

Oh, right, the novelization does have him doing two runs.

Bofast fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 20, 2019

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

SO. Lets get to it.

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GO.

$267,593,481

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheAgent posted:

Just to be clear, that's not one of the dudes that screwed you over, right?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Just to be clear, that's not one of the dudes that screwed you over, right?
Nope. I'm in a whole different industry now. Although he hosed a lot of his other employees over at Sigil. The "profit sharing" poo poo for Vanguard was a complete bait-and-switch, and a lot of people left pretty good jobs at SOE to follow him to his new company, which was a mismanaged shitshow.

Funny that Sigil was another company Microsoft invested heavily in, hoping for a flagship MMO for their new console. Brad took their money and hardly produced anything. Almost all of the ideas for Vanguard that people praise were never even seen by Brad. Most of the employees during this time were working in 30 hour shifts -- that's 30 hours of straight work, then an eight hour break for sleep, then back to 30 straight hours of work.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr.PayDay posted:

"Different types of content can be found in caves. If you are a miner, you can find resource depots. Especially rich resources may require special flying skills, because the Prospector has to maneuver inside the cave. You may also be able to mine resources manually later, using tools such as the Pyro Tool.

NPCs could also settle in caves and set up camps there. They may be hostile, but there may also be special merchants among them. And of course there are lots of aliens, animals and other creatures that can be placed in such caves. With the new player status system, survival horror gameplay will be possible in no time at all.

Different types of content can be found in caves. If you are a miner, you can find resource depots. Especially rich resources may require special flying skills, because the Prospector has to maneuver inside the cave. You may also be able to mine resources manually later, using tools such as the Pyro Tool.

NPCs could also settle in caves and set up camps there. They may be hostile, but there may also be special merchants among them. And of course there are lots of aliens, animals and other creatures that can be placed in such caves. With the new player status system, survival horror gameplay will be possible in no time at all."

:yarg:

https://www.space4games.com/en/star-citizen-en/star-citizen-caves-on-moons-and-planets/id-3592/

Star Citizen: Different types of content can be found in caves

I thought you were taking the piss and making that up. Well.... i shouldn't be surprised by some of the dreams.txt people write in relation to SC.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pixelate posted:

Star Citizen: Star Citizen 2.

So, CIG basically skipped releasing an entire product before working on the sequel!

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm not getting conned! You're the one conning!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Quavers posted:

Security will be heavy, but I trust you will have ways to evade them.

so 3 enemy npcs?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

no_recall posted:

SO. Lets get to it.

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Star Citizen I: The Phantom Release

Star Citizen II: Attack Of The Giggles