Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

AlternateAccount posted:

Are you certain? My TouchID sensor barfed and they replaced both.

2016 and 2017 rMBPs have to have their Touch ID / logic boards replaced if one goes bad.

2018 / 2019 rMBPs (and presumably going forward) can have their Touch ID / logic boards replaced independent of each other.

I believe the new System Configuration app that Apple makes you use now allows for it.

Also, the Touch ID boards for the 16-inch 2019 have totally different part identifiers than the ones for the 2018/2019 models.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Is AppleCare+ for a MBP worth a drat anymore? $379 + $299 to use it seems... kinda nuts.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

never used them before, but bought one of the 16" mbps thru them on release day for the ~$400 savings over buying direct from apple. it hasn't shipped yet, i'll post when it does. seems legit tho, they are a certified reseller and been around for a while

just got an email that says my order has been processed and will be shipped shortly. i placed the order on nov 13 so that's a 7 day turnaround

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Turnquiet posted:

Is AppleCare+ for a MBP worth a drat anymore? $379 + $299 to use it seems... kinda nuts.

Still extends your warranty to three years. I used AppleCare for stuff that wore out, including batteries, hinge replacement, logic board, one display, etc. I never had to pay anything since they were parts failures and not accidental damage.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

That's not that impressive of an assembly line. Are the main boards made in the US as well? The chassis? Or just the screwdriver assembly?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Shaocaholica posted:

That's not that impressive of an assembly line. Are the main boards made in the US as well? The chassis? Or just the screwdriver assembly?

Look into your heart.

I don't even think there are machines in the US capable of making the boards.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ItBreathes posted:

Look into your heart.

There totally is, I keep seeing youtubers goof around making their own graphics cards and poo poo.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Shaocaholica posted:

The entire line is supposed to be 1000 feet long, that's only a tidbit of it.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/11/20/apples-200m-mac-pro-facility-employs-500-across-5-acres

AppleInsider posted:

Apple and its manufacturing partners has so far invested over $200 million into the facility, including the creation of a "complex assembly line" just for the Mac Pro. The production line is long, with each Mac Pro traveling a distance of 1,000 feet during its construction.

The complex nature of the line is such that Apple advises some components require precision placement "within the width of a human hair," warranting such a sizable investment. The facility itself measures 244,000-square-foot in size, and employs more than 500 people, including electrical engineers and electronics assemblers actively working on the line.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 20, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Arivia posted:

There totally is, I keep seeing youtubers goof around making their own graphics cards and poo poo.

That doesn't mean mass production at a given scale and complexity.

Also assembly != manufacture.

You also can't label something as 'made in usa' without meeting certain criteria either so I'm not sure if Apple is going to mark them as such.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

That doesn't mean mass production at a given scale and complexity.

Also assembly != manufacture.

You also can't label something as 'made in usa' without meeting certain criteria either so I'm not sure if Apple is going to mark them as such.

Sure, but the question wasn't about mass production. It was just "is there a machine in the US that could make that board at all."

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Data Graham posted:

I must say I'd really prefer physical volume keys and not just Esc

I'm still using my Apple Aluminium wired keyboard, probably only used the MBP touchbar a couple of times since getting it.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Binary Badger posted:

The complex nature of the line is such that Apple advises some components require precision placement "within the width of a human hair," warranting such a sizable investment. The facility itself measures 244,000-square-foot in size, and employs more than 500 people, including electrical engineers and electronics assemblers actively working on the line.

this scares the poo poo out of me, there is absolutely no reason for this giant full size tower to be difficult to service or require excessively precision tools to assemble.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

charity rereg posted:

this scares the poo poo out of me, there is absolutely no reason for this giant full size tower to be difficult to service or require excessively precision tools to assemble.

I feel like that's marketing speak. If every component on any board was off by a hair the errors would add up I'm sure.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

mediaphage posted:

I feel like that's marketing speak. If every component on any board was off by a hair the errors would add up I'm sure.

I'm sure it's not every component on the board, and some of it may just be initial setup, but I'm having flashbacks to the special tool and driver needed to service the trashcan mac pros, and the impossible to replace (literally single use part) "Roof" which required a special method to put back on correctly.

I will have one of these in office (not mine of course) the day they show up on the Edu portal either way, and I'll know a lot more then. Hell if I'm going to let one of my techs work on a $10k Mac Pro anyway.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

prom candy posted:

I pulled the trigger on a 16". I went with the 2.3ghz 8-core, 32GB/ram, 1TB storage, and the 4GB 5500M. It won't ship for a while so I have time to make alterations. Any real reason to go up to 64GB, 2.4ghz, or the 8GB VRAM? All are pretty pricey upgrades in Canada.

Bare Feats has some benchmarks up, looks like the 4GB video card bottlenecks GPU-dependent apps.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Lazyhound posted:

Bare Feats has some benchmarks up, looks like the 4GB video card bottlenecks GPU-dependent apps.

Good to know, thanks! I don't do any video stuff and I would only be doing some light gaming if any so I think I made the right call.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
Has there been any news on a docking station that can power a 16" mbp?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1197173397530263552

eames
May 9, 2009

Lazyhound posted:

I‘m confused, does this mean that the 8GB version has a wider memory bus than the 4GB version or is this purely about „swapping“ computational data to RAM?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Wait i just bought this thing https://www.hypershop.com/collectio...=18028810141758

Is it not going to work properly with my 16"?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

Oh, okay. loving Intel still at 10 nano technology anyway.

For all practical purposes they’re still on 14+++. 10 is sorta shipping, but only a handful of small-die notebook parts so far.

The fun thing is that Intel has a whole stable of 10nm chip designs (which include features like PCIE 4) completely ready to go. Problems with manufacturing yield have prevented them from releasing much of it, other than the aforementioned small-die low core count products, which are easier to get acceptable yield on than larger parts.

Management didn’t want to throw in the towel and backport new tech from these designs (like PCIe 4) to 14nm, so they’ve made progress the last few years only by incremental tweaking of the 14nm process (hence “14+++”) and the Skylake architecture.

ItBreathes posted:

Look into your heart.

There definitely are. Anybody anywhere on the globe can order up the relevant machines and robots, they aren’t anywhere near as expensive as chip fab equipment.

What China has a lock on is high volume manufacturing. Low volume is alive and well in the US. Defense, medical, and very high tech have all had reasons to not fully offshore PCB manufacturing and assembly.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

prom candy posted:

Wait i just bought this thing https://www.hypershop.com/collectio...=18028810141758

Is it not going to work properly with my 16"?

It will work but I'd get something from Anker over HyperDrive, and I personally prefer a hub that has a cable so my USB C ports aren't being stressed by the weight of a bunch of cables.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I got international shipping, at this point it's gonna cost me like $25 just to return it so if it works and it doesn't appear to be pulling on the ports I'll just have to live with it.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Idk about anyone else but I'm feeling pretty salty recently re: Apple https://daringfireball.net/2019/11/cook_trump_campaign_ad

What's the point of being the world's most profitable company if you'll shill for whichever dictator gives you an extra dollar? I cancelled my 16" MBP for now, although idk if there are really any ethical tech companies (please let me know if there are). At least a company like Google is not pretending to be the world's friendliest good boy — I know what I'm buying into when I buy it. Maybe the best move is to buy used?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
They've been making them with sweatshop labour for years so I don't see why appearing with orange man would be over the line. You're gonna have a hell of a time ethically sourcing consumer electronics.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

prom candy posted:

You're gonna have a hell of a time ethically sourcing consumer electronics.

I agree with this but I don't buy the they're-already-bad-so-who-cares-if-now-they're-more-bad logic. That's how the real bad poo poo happens. I guess you're right though, as customers we should be putting pressure on even the basic reality of sweatshop labor. I'll admit willful naivety on my part for hoping Apple had some kind of ethical point of view, but I think the company is especially hypocritical and it makes me want to shop elsewhere. And I own literally only apple products 🤷‍♂️

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

grahm posted:

I agree with this but I don't buy the they're-already-bad-so-who-cares-if-now-they're-more-bad logic. That's how the real bad poo poo happens. I guess you're right though, as customers we should be putting pressure on even the basic reality of sweatshop labor. I'll admit willful naivety on my part for hoping Apple had some kind of ethical point of view, but I think the company is especially hypocritical and it makes me want to shop elsewhere. And I own literally only apple products 🤷‍♂️

The third most valuable company on the planet doesn’t have ethics. It has interests. You’re not going to find any ethical alternative.

Welcome to capitalism etc. etc.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah this is still a bad look

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

grahm posted:

I imagine the issue you’re taking is with the suffering caused by these products? There is no alternative that causes less suffering.

Unless your real issue is with the hypocrisy of the company (and you’d seriously be fine with a company that was honestly awful)? There is also no alternative that is not hypocritical.

One ethical dimension you could consider is something like, which product is the highest quality for my $X? The reason this is a matter of ethics is that, basically, it’s just lovely to the workers who produce a thing to buy that thing and then have their sacrifices be for a piece of poo poo that breaks sooner than later or doesn’t even meet your needs. A matter of honour, vaguely. :rolleyes: Higher quality also means that less has to be produced because the stuff that’s made lasts longer. It may also meet higher environmental standards and be more recyclable or whatever.

It’s all a moot point though because the whole dilemma is predicated on the idea that it’s somehow the consumer’s responsibility to make sure that the people who make their products have a measure of dignity and health. This is a ridiculous loving capitalist plot to ensure that nothing ever changes. Nothing has EVER gotten better because of consumer choices. Buy your thing and use it to fight for the issues you care about, don’t convince yourself that you’re fighting by buying your thing.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

tuyop posted:

Nothing has EVER gotten better because of consumer choices. Buy your thing and use it to fight for the issues you care about, don’t convince yourself that you’re fighting by buying your thing.

Not tryin to derail the thread and I'm cool to end this convo anytime, but I don't think this is true? Consumer choice has an impact on companies. I mean, why are we seeing thicker apple products with bigger batteries across the line this year? It's because apple wants to sell more poo poo and they know their customers want bigger batteries and better thermals etc. Like 1/2 of the praise of the new iPhone was "it has a bigger battery now, just like we wanted." The whole 16" MBP is basically just meeting basic customer demands that have built up over the past 3 years. It's Apple admitting its own ideas of a good product were actually bad. For a more ethics related issue — why does Facebook "care" (verrrry heavy quotes on the word care, but still) about privacy and customer data now? It's bc journalists and customers are starting to apply some pressure. I'm not naive enough to think that any of these companies are "good" or "doing the right thing," but I also think consumer pressure can create positive change.

I agree with you that in theory ethical production is not ultimately the consumer's responsibility — blaming only the customer is a "ridiculous loving capitalist plot" — but to say we have no responsibility or influence is also wrong imo. People can work within lovely and broken systems to make change (and when people give into lovely and broken systems they turn into Tim Cook 2019 Edition). Ultimately at the most essential level I (and people like me) have to buy iPhones for apple to exist.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

grahm posted:

Not tryin to derail the thread and I'm cool to end this convo anytime, but I don't think this is true? Consumer choice has an impact on companies. I mean, why are we seeing thicker apple products with bigger batteries across the line this year? It's because apple wants to sell more poo poo and they know their customers want bigger batteries and better thermals etc. Like 1/2 of the praise of the new iPhone was "it has a bigger battery now, just like we wanted." The whole 16" MBP is basically just meeting basic customer demands that have built up over the past 3 years. It's Apple admitting its own ideas of a good product were actually bad. For a more ethics related issue — why does Facebook "care" (verrrry heavy quotes on the word care, but still) about privacy and customer data now? It's bc journalists and customers are starting to apply some pressure. I'm not naive enough to think that any of these companies are "good" or "doing the right thing," but I also think consumer pressure can create positive change.

I agree with you that in theory ethical production is not ultimately the consumer's responsibility — blaming only the customer is a "ridiculous loving capitalist plot" — but to say we have no responsibility or influence is also wrong imo. People can work within lovely and broken systems to make change (and when people give into lovely and broken systems they turn into Tim Cook 2019 Edition). Ultimately at the most essential level I (and people like me) have to buy iPhones for apple to exist.

Agreed about the derail but it’s not like there’s anything else going on.

None of the changes you mentioned are meaningful changes in the realm of ethical treatment of workers or the environment, they’re companies responding to market demand (which they largely manufacture through marketing) to maximize profit. Which is what companies do. Companies cannot respond to market demand in a way that lowers profit, they can only change their marketing.

Facebook is a great example because the changes are not due to consumer pressure, that’s the threat of regulatory pressure (brought about by activism, as you said) that prompted whatever meaningful changes may have happened (but probably haven’t).

I’m pretty certain that there has never been an unjust structural problem that was fixed by consumers. Slavery, inhumane working conditions, environmental destruction (in the west). All of the gains that have been made in that space have come from regulation prompted by mass mobilization that threatens to destabilize the whole system that capital needs to maintain itself. It’s always been a game of chicken where we threaten to tear down the whole house of cards and then companies blink.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

tuyop posted:

I’m pretty certain that there has never been an unjust structural problem that was fixed by consumers. Slavery, inhumane working conditions, environmental destruction (in the west). All of the gains that have been made in that space have come from regulation prompted by mass mobilization that threatens to destabilize the whole system that capital needs to maintain itself. It’s always been a game of chicken where we threaten to tear down the whole house of cards and then companies blink.

I hope this isn't true, but I also agree that in practice this is the way things usually work. But what is "mass mobilization?" Isn't that essentially another term for just consumer action? (Legit question not rhetorical)

Regardless, I think that at least for me personally the hosed up futility of our system does not excuse me from ignoring injustices when they become obvious, and the reality is that if everyone confroted injustices when they saw them our system would not be so hosed up :cool:. Like if I cancel my MacBook order who the gently caress cares, but if everyone who's read news about Apple in Hong Kong or Tim Cook + Trump cancels their order, that would make a difference. This won't happen, I get it. "But also it legitimately could" - an uncynical, unrealistic, yet completely possible alternate reality.

Obviously this is a problem that's not gonna be solved by posting online. I guess what I hope happens is more journalists like Gruber who typically love everything Apple does start to be more critical to the point that apple realizes it needs to change how it does business in order to continue making those sweet $$ that mean so much to it

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

The long and short of it is that individual consumer choices absolutely don't matter. Apple's poo poo keyboards probably barely dented their sales figures and were only hurting them on the backend with warranty work. Any lost sales of new equipment of any magnitude went to another vendor that is every bit as bad. Hoping people experience a moral breakthrough and collectively boycott is like hoping to quantum tunnel yourself through a wall. Technically it could happen, but it won't.

The only thing that will have any meaningful impact is changing the playing field entirely. Regulations, heavy taxation, nationalization, guillotines, take your pick. Your only lever is putting pressure on your government to mandate change.

IMO buy the macbook, get involved in something local, and vote for whoever promises the most billionaire tears.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

grahm posted:

I hope this isn't true, but I also agree that in practice this is the way things usually work. But what is "mass mobilization?" Isn't that essentially another term for just consumer action? (Legit question not rhetorical)

Consumer action is entirely just the decision to consume or not consume. You can tell other people not to consume as well, but that’s starting to get organized and then you’re doing:

Activism is the organizing of groups of people to change a system. It can be simply raising awareness about an issue, which is what good journalism does, or it can be civil disobedience where you refuse to move from an Apple store until Timb gives Trump the finger on TV, or it can be direct action (violent) where you blow up a ship full of 16” MBPs. Or the nonviolent kind where you U-lock your neck to a container full of iphones. Those are the only types of activism that have been effective as far as I know, no working within the system ever made a company clean up its toxic waste and no boycott ever got a sweatshop worker a 40 hour work week.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Doesn't matter what else Tim Cook accomplishes in his life he'll always be the tech ceo that enthusistically supported trump in a reelection ad.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

grahm posted:

Idk about anyone else but I'm feeling pretty salty recently re: Apple https://daringfireball.net/2019/11/cook_trump_campaign_ad

What's the point of being the world's most profitable company if you'll shill for whichever dictator gives you an extra dollar? I cancelled my 16" MBP for now, although idk if there are really any ethical tech companies (please let me know if there are). At least a company like Google is not pretending to be the world's friendliest good boy — I know what I'm buying into when I buy it. Maybe the best move is to buy used?

It is so sweet imagining John Gruber frying his little tears while watching that clip

And now Trump is re-evaluating apple tart if exemptions

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/trump-apple-tim-cook-exempt-from-china-tariffs-factory-tour-2019-11

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

grahm posted:

Gruber's hilarious. The idea that Apple doesn't pray at the same capitalist altar designed to funnel consumer tithes right into shareholder pockets is absurd.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Make Macs Great Again.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Yeah its gross that Apple is letting it be used as a political prop for Trump, but I'm not really surprised they're trying to lobby to remove/reduce his stupid tariffs. It's kinda funny he's so stupid that he hasn't realized the plant has been open for like 5 years.

Apple is pretty much the leader in climate change and properly procuring rare earth metals, though, so it's not hard to continue to support them over other tech companies.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What’s the best I should expect from the MacBook/Pro used market for $400 currently?