Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Not sure if this is the thread to ask, but has anyone tried The Hell 2 mod for Diablo 1? Works great as far as letting me run the game in 1400x600 (800x600 size but ultra wide) and the interface adjustments are awesome also, but god drat is it hard. On the very first floor there are these things that beat my rear end by stun-locking me immediately. I want to stick with it because it’s awesome having modern frame rates and resolution options in D1 but dayum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I loved the unlocked, hidden stuff they found on the original CD, but yeah, some things are weirdly scaled. Especially fixed bosses like The Butcher are even worse than before, not being killable until you're well into the next dungeon tileset.

E:

Looking at the mod, they've just patched it recently, and holy crap, that's a lot of content.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

THE BAR posted:

I loved the unlocked, hidden stuff they found on the original CD, but yeah, some things are weirdly scaled. Especially fixed bosses like The Butcher are even worse than before, not being killable until you're well into the next dungeon tileset.

E:

Looking at the mod, they've just patched it recently, and holy crap, that's a lot of content.

Yea, it's bonkers with its content, but it just sucks that these awesome overhauls for D1 exist, and seem to only target the hardest core spergiest of players. There's no reason not to have a "normal Diablo difficulty" with all the same content for folks who just want to smash things and collect loot. Diablo 1 is by far the hardest game of the series (in terms of beating the main story, not the NG+ content) but it was still a relatively easy game.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Yea, it's bonkers with its content, but it just sucks that these awesome overhauls for D1 exist, and seem to only target the hardest core spergiest of players. There's no reason not to have a "normal Diablo difficulty" with all the same content for folks who just want to smash things and collect loot. Diablo 1 is by far the hardest game of the series (in terms of beating the main story, not the NG+ content) but it was still a relatively easy game.

So the first unique I find on level 2 was one of those Hellfire gravedigger dudes.. Who hits like The Butcher and regains his health faster than I can damage it, as a Templar with a mace, which is 90% extra damage against the undead. Guess that's that, then!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

THE BAR posted:

So the first unique I find on level 2 was one of those Hellfire gravedigger dudes.. Who hits like The Butcher and regains his health faster than I can damage it, as a Templar with a mace, which is 90% extra damage against the undead. Guess that's that, then!

I uninstalled it and just went back to vanilla Hellfire. Talented folks out there can make the game run in modern resolutions, but can't help themselves when it comes to loving the game balance over.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Are there active hardcore d2 communities around?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

kazr posted:

Are there active hardcore d2 communities around?
When slash diablo ladder resets a bunch of people play. Botting is 110% not allowed, but the server has a sanctioned maphack.

Next reset is Nov 22nd @ 7pm. I forgot what timezone. I'd be up for playing and hopefully we can trick a bunch of other people into playing diablo2.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Are there any Paladin builds that are not super gear dependent? What about any other class? I've currently got a level 48 Paladin who just uses Zeal and the Lightning Aura to electrocute and hit things a lot and it's ok so far, nevermind how drat squishy he is. Even with all my res's at/over 75 in Nightmare difficulty, he dies pretty quick if I blink. Also how do ya'll keep mercs alive in Nightmare and higher difficulty? Mine drops when he sees an enemy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Holy Shock Zealot already is the cheap build, because you can focus your gear on survivability rather than also having to derive firepower from it

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

gradenko_2000 posted:

Holy Shock Zealot already is the cheap build, because you can focus your gear on survivability rather than also having to derive firepower from it

Are there any skills I should be focusing on besides Zeal, Shock Aura, and Lightning Res Aura?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

chaosapiant posted:

Are there any skills I should be focusing on besides Zeal, Shock Aura, and Lightning Res Aura?

Holy Shield. Maybe burn the points necessary to get Fanaticism for when you're up against a lightning-immune.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I don't know if it was a bug that eventually got fixed but I remember being able to switch to conviction aura to break immunities and then back to shock aura to damage enemies for a few seconds.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Khorne posted:

When slash diablo ladder resets a bunch of people play. Botting is 110% not allowed, but the server has a sanctioned maphack.

Next reset is Nov 22nd @ 7pm. I forgot what timezone. I'd be up for playing and hopefully we can trick a bunch of other people into playing diablo.

This looks excellent and I was going to play the ladder reset tonight but I came across a mod Path of Diablo and I don't think I'll be able to play og d2 again. The quality of life enhancements are incredible, and they've balanced out terrible skills and underused items so even a raven druid build is something that's viable. The changes make sense and it still feels like regular d2, the community isn't toxic, plus there's a solid group of players looking to die in hardcore

If anyone checks it out my username is kazr

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm thinking of starting a fresh Barb in D2, after playing a Paladin and Druid for a bit. I'm also playing the season in D3, so D3 barbs are fresh in my brain, sort of. Are D2 barbs as fun as D3 barbs? At least in regards to leaping around and smashing and yelling and killing?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

I'm thinking of starting a fresh Barb in D2, after playing a Paladin and Druid for a bit. I'm also playing the season in D3, so D3 barbs are fresh in my brain, sort of. Are D2 barbs as fun as D3 barbs? At least in regards to leaping around and smashing and yelling and killing?
There's more yelling and still a lot of smashing. Leaping is a bit more scarce although you can spam leaps in d2 if you want.

They mostly nailed the barb in D3. They only really missed the mark on frenzy and how "impactful" the shouts look/feel compared to d2. I guess D2's whirlwind feels more like smashing things real hard while D3's is more like floating around.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 25, 2019

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Khorne posted:

I guess D2's whirlwind feels more like smashing things real hard while D3's is more like floating around.

This has always been a major complaint about D3 for me, among many. It seems to apply to every class so far too, but it feels like your hits and abilities aren't impactful. Some small exceptions of course, but like how every "auto attack" is just some ability you throw on to generate whatever resource you use. Melee feels like you're just swinging at the air and things die.

Like meleeing with a mace in D2 actually felt like you were bashing someone's skull in.

Idk, D3 is kinda fun but it just feels so shallow. Fancy lights and colors flashing at you while your killstreak goes up.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
man, I've been playing The Hell 2 for the original Diablo and this is actually kinda fun

some tips for people hitting a wall in it:

1) if you're going to pick a bashy class, pick the Guardian out of the Warrior class tree, he's survivable as all hell. with a couple of levels and some decent armor you can facetank the Butcher pretty easily.

2) abuse the poo poo out of perks, they're overpowered as hell

3) priority #1 with leveling needs to be buffing your hit rate. put points into dex and points into the perk that increases your accuracy until you've got it at ~80% and you'll have a much easier time. once you've done that, alternate stats between your "main" stats (strength and vit for a warrior-type) and what would typically be your dump stat; if you're playing a Guardian, you need to put at least two full levels into Magic so you can use identify scrolls. for perks, instead of pushing your accuracy further, get the magic find and gold find perks and crank them up as much as you can.

e: 4) do not gently caress with quests until you either have a huge stock of potions or you are very sure you can throw down, because you cannot run away once you're in a fight, for some reason if you've woken up an enemy you can be on the opposite side of the map across multiple closed doors and it will still keep you in fight mode. this is one of the very few design decisions i will call out as being 200% bullshit. the weapon stuff is whatever, you basically end up keeping one sword and one blunt weapon on hand across two of your three sets (and being able to hit V to hotswap is nice), but this is some loving nonsense and the one thing i kind of hate about the mod. i could also see class-limited gear being annoying in multiplayer but in practice, in SP, stuff only drops if you can potentially use it.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 4, 2019

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Grimdude posted:

This has always been a major complaint about D3 for me, among many. It seems to apply to every class so far too, but it feels like your hits and abilities aren't impactful. Some small exceptions of course, but like how every "auto attack" is just some ability you throw on to generate whatever resource you use. Melee feels like you're just swinging at the air and things die.

Like meleeing with a mace in D2 actually felt like you were bashing someone's skull in.

Idk, D3 is kinda fun but it just feels so shallow. Fancy lights and colors flashing at you while your killstreak goes up.

I actually could not agree less. D3 felt like you actually hit things and smashed faces and threw corpses around. D2 isn't *bad* by any metric but D3 felt more visceral.

I get not really liking the generator/spender aspect most classes use but also with most gear, builds find ways to get around that for 90% of builds. Hell my DH this season instantly got a "remove skill cost" quiver in the 30s.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 4, 2019

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I actually could not agree less. D3 felt like you actually hit things and smashed faces and threw corpses around. D2 isn't *bad* by any metric but D3 felt more visceral.

Do you play without sound? The standard swinging and hitting soundscape is anemic in D3. Swinging that act 3 hammer around in D2 probably had the best sound design of any Diablo genre game I've played.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Having very recently been playing both games back to back, they both have great sound design, but D3 definitely feels much more solid and visceral to me.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

THE BAR posted:

Do you play without sound? The standard swinging and hitting soundscape is anemic in D3. Swinging that act 3 hammer around in D2 probably had the best sound design of any Diablo genre game I've played.
Getting someone to join your “durance wp plz” game was even more satisfying.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Having very recently been playing both games back to back, they both have great sound design, but D3 definitely feels much more solid and visceral to me.

Throwing monsters around in D3 definitely felt good. In fact, they may have overdone it, as any kind of attack has the potential of hurling opponents' corpses across the screen. Saving it for your big attacks might've given them an even bigger impact.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Laslow posted:

Getting someone to join your “durance wp plz” game was even more satisfying.

goddamn A3 was a horrible maze, thanks for the PTSD

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Suburban Dad posted:

goddamn A3 was a horrible maze, thanks for the PTSD

I may be one of the few people who loved Act 3 Jungles.

I mostly played Amazon and it was my first 1.09 99.

Coincidence?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

THE BAR posted:

No? I just didn't find that D2 felt better.

THE BAR posted:

Throwing monsters around in D3 definitely felt good. In fact, they may have overdone it, as any kind of attack has the potential of hurling opponents' corpses across the screen. Saving it for your big attacks might've given them an even bigger impact.

D3's corpse throwing feels like it rapidly drops off as you level so I have no idea what physics metrics they used to determine the animations. It just feels weird in that regard, but given the divide between Big Hits and Smaller Hits (spenders vs generators, very roughly) they all seem to do relatively the same amount of destruction.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Adult Sword Owner posted:

D3's corpse throwing feels like it rapidly drops off as you level so I have no idea what physics metrics they used to determine the animations. It just feels weird in that regard, but given the divide between Big Hits and Smaller Hits (spenders vs generators, very roughly) they all seem to do relatively the same amount of destruction.

It's probably based on your damage versus the target's maximum hit points. So since monsters start out with almost no health, every kill is a haymaker.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Do we have a Diablo 2 Discord? It would be nice to play with people every once and awhile.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

Do we have a Diablo 2 Discord? It would be nice to play with people every once and awhile.

We do now. Horadric Goon discord: https://discord.gg/w8AxQMV

I play median xl hardcore and tchernobog diablo 1. Both are updated regularly. Tcherno even has a linux port coming. Oh mai!

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Kazvall posted:

We do now. Horadric Goon discord: https://discord.gg/w8AxQMV

I play median xl hardcore and tchernobog diablo 1. Both are updated regularly. Tcherno even has a linux port coming. Oh mai!
I'm in too many drat discords. How about we ask for channel(s) in the d3 discord?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Khorne posted:

I'm in too many drat discords. How about we ask for channel(s) in the d3 discord?

I truly feel that. I was trying to stay away from associating with d3 because I personally don't like it. At least you can place discord channels together under one bubble. Regardless, if you can get us a channel there I'd try it out. As long as we get people interested in playing diablo 1 and 2, and mods, I'm down. Was planning to have a biweekly or monthly game night where we all play the same mod and do multiplayer.

Even stupid poo poo like ironman runs, or hardcore runs where no one can leave the server and the last person to live/die get some sort of honor. /shrug

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Had to fix the link, if people do want to join. https://discord.gg/wVCstGq

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Diablo 2 is going through something of a resurgence if only because it's a strangely popular game for speedrunning

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Diablo 2 is going through something of a resurgence if only because it's a strangely popular game for speedrunning
I posted some youtube videos of a few games I was okay at and the diablo 2 one has a crazy number of views compared to the others. If I were looking to be a "content creator" I'd probably make more d2 videos.

I noticed most d2 videos have people who aren't that good at the game. Except for the speedrunners. But speedrunners don't usually do too many normal things that people actually playing d2 do. For example, most videos showing people clearing cows or chaos sanc have players who are really inefficient and lost even if it's a really high level or geared character. There are also very few classic videos up although 99.9% of people don't play classic.

Llama has some videos of a single player character he mfs with, but it's really geared. There seems to be very little content geared toward people actually trying to play d2 from people who use their time effectively without being speedrunners.

It's kind of interesting because d2 existed during a time where sharing this information or even approaching the game that way wasn't a thing. At most you had builds and maybe vague guides for "join these games at these levels". Even things like tomb mules weren't well known for a long time, although they've since been patched out.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 29, 2020

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

MrLlamaSC doing 8+ hour speedruns of characters to beat the entire game just look tortuous and torturous.

Khorne posted:

It's kind of interesting because d2 existed during a time where sharing this information or even approaching the game that way wasn't a thing. At most you had builds and maybe vague guides for "join these games at these levels". Even things like tomb mules weren't well known for a long time, although they've since been patched out.

It's the same reason I find old NES game speedruns interesting as information is being shared and the hive mind keeps finding ways to improve/optimize things.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Is anyone else interested in playing the diablo 1 hd mod multiplayer client, Tchernobog? https://mod.diablo.noktis.pl/

I have a couple goons on board already. I'll figure out which game browser we might need to easily connect. I think it has a semi-officially supported one. If anyone not familiar with the mod would like more of an idea about it, I can provide some more details. It's fun to go in fresh, though.

Once I see what kind of interest we have I can set up more of a specific time to play.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Zogo posted:

MrLlamaSC doing 8+ hour speedruns of characters to beat the entire game just look tortuous and torturous.

It's the same reason I find old NES game speedruns interesting as information is being shared and the hive mind keeps finding ways to improve/optimize things.

I think most of them are in the neighborhood of an hour or two?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I think most of them are in the neighborhood of an hour or two?

Yea, those are the ones where he just beats one mode. He has videos where he does all five acts of Normal/Nightmare/Hell.

Also, trying out really bad builds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6coAR4XDTg

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

We're going to play some Tchernobog tomorrow around 8-9pm EST. Instructions and all that happy poo poo is in the discord I linked above, but just in case: wVCstGq

Check out the pinned messages in mod-news. We'll be using zerotier to connect to the network, but it's all interfaced in game, so it's easy.

For anyone not aware. Tchernobog is the multiplayer client for D1 HD project. Beyond having stuff like 1080p resolution support and other quality of life features, it also has stuff like waypoints, new classes, shared stashes, crafting, new spells, new areas, just COOL poo poo. So yeah. Come join us.

(I'm honestly very excited that this project has new development support. Someone from the community took the reigns of the project after the initial developer lost interest and have been steadily working on Tchernobog. Currently it has a linux port in progress, which means I can play diablo on my odroid n2. After they are done with that, lots more tweaks should be coming through along with multiplayer full quest support. Booyah!)

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 8, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
https://twitter.com/ResetEraNT/status/1258904272152014849

:eyepop:

Kazvall posted:

We're going to play some Tchernobog tomorrow around 8-9pm EST. Instructions and all that happy poo poo is in the discord I linked above, but just in case: wVCstGq

Check out the pinned messages in mod-news. We'll be using zerotier to connect to the network, but it's all interfaced in game, so it's easy.

For anyone not aware. Tchernobog is the multiplayer client for D1 HD project. Beyond having stuff like 1080p resolution support and other quality of life features, it also has stuff like waypoints, new classes, shared stashes, crafting, new spells, new areas, just COOL poo poo. So yeah. Come join us.

(I'm honestly very excited that this project has new development support. Someone from the community took the reigns of the project after the initial developer lost interest and have been steadily working on Tchernobog. Currently it has a linux port in progress, which means I can play diablo on my odroid n2. After they are done with that, lots more tweaks should be coming through along with multiplayer full quest support. Booyah!)

drat, wish I had seen this earlier. Didn't know Tchernobog had gotten picked up by someone else.

Has the event already started?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Oh boy that'd be neat.

My brother and I just got back to playing D2 after more than a decade. It's fascinating how much I suck at this game now.